Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mainwaring posted:

I think gridania has the best inn room access.

gridania's inn access is second of the three imo - i tend to hit uldah when i want an inn room because hitting the main aetheryte, then porting over to the adventurer's guild feels faster than walking down the hill in gridania, though it may not be so objectively

i probably wouldn't port into gridania for much of anything i wanted to get to fast, but as it was my starting city, I'm stuck back there every time i hop data centers for shopping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's a tiny shortcut, but note that when heading from the Gridania Aethercyte to the inn you can hug the building and dfrop down to the entrance.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

parasyte posted:

When you have the map active, LB+RB will set down a flag that also shows up on the minimap. If you're on the same map as a quest objective, your minimap will have an orange arrow at the edge pointing to where the objective is, as well. And don't forget when you look at a quest in the journal, there's a map button that will open the map at your objective (mostly), though this may be less helpful if it's in a different zone.

Great tip. Thanks!

Jonny 290 posted:

We call em 'waymarks' and i think there is a way to hotbar the placement function in one of the menus, but i'm a PC player so i'm not sure exactly how.

Also, yeah, ul'dah is really confusing and i hate going there. gridania is better but still sometimes annoying. theres a reason i call limsa home and its not the dancing catgirls

Yeah I'm in ul'dah.

Thanks all for advice!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ul'dah does have a chokepoint out of its Aethercyte, so if you really want to make sure that everyone sees your end-game fashion you can always dance up there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I never see anybody do that despite the fact that the aetheryte in Ul'dah is pretty crowded with AFKers at times on Primal. They just hang off to one side of the other.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

On my server there is always at least a handful of people dancing at the top of the steps.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, Goblin has a pretty steady population of people scattered between the Ul'dah aetheryte and Hall of Flames at busy times, although it goes dead earlier than the other two main cities.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Doomykins posted:

And even if you like fantasy Japan elements it's undeniable that Stormblood was clearly split in two at the exact point you leave Rhalgar's Reach for Kugane.

This was one of my two main problems with Stormblood. Having to do my hunts, tribal quests, and so on meant constantly bouncing back and forth. It was a pain in the rear end, as opposed to Heavensward where all the zones were fairly close and connected to each other. Plus the story connection felt very tenuous.

My other major problem is Lyse. I was immediately put off with her reveal because it was stupid. Yda had barely been relevant to the story in the last hundred-plus hours, so suddenly pulling her out and going "Surprise! Literally everything about this character was a lie! We will now replace her with a completely different character we will insist has been with you the entire time." had zero impact and felt cheap. Since she's the central character of Stormblood and the narrator, it did not start things off on a good foot.

Also I keep my home point at the Gold Saucer. It's a good way to keep getting the MGP for those million-plus cost mounts.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Gold Saucer has been one of my discount locations since I unlocked it, and while I should probably change the other ones (Foundation and the first ShB hub), that one's staying

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

BlazetheInferno posted:

Best description I've seen about Stormblood feeling weaker than other expansions was for someone to call it a 7 or 8 out of 10... flanked on both sides by 11s.

It will be very unpopular opinion, but to be fair, despite some pacing issues I think I liked Stormblood better than Heavensward. Maybe it's because "freedom fighters vs oppresive fascist regime" theme suits me better than "church bad because it doesn't allow you to gently caress dragons". Or maybe Stormblood had more interesting villains.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Brain In A Jar posted:

City navigation is part of the reason that at least one of my three concurrent levelling jobs needs to be one that has Peleton.

Look at this guy who doesn't have Strider Boots :smug:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Do those 1.x relics even still work?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Bruceski posted:

It's a tiny shortcut, but note that when heading from the Gridania Aethercyte to the inn you can hug the building and dfrop down to the entrance.

You can also just port to the airship landing and run up the stairs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe a dumb question but are there any other useful leveling methods beyond deep dungeons and daily roulettes? Since I last played what I want from a class has changed pretty drastically but it means what I want to play is way, way behind so it'd be like a solid three or four weeks of roulettes to catch just one class up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Orv posted:

Maybe a dumb question but are there any other useful leveling methods beyond deep dungeons and daily roulettes? Since I last played what I want from a class has changed pretty drastically but it means what I want to play is way, way behind so it'd be like a solid three or four weeks of roulettes to catch just one class up.

At-level dungeons give 1/3 or so of a bar of XP (once things stabilize, at ARR levels it's gonna be more). It's not THAT much less than doing a leveling roulette.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bruceski posted:

At-level dungeons give 1/3 or so of a bar of XP (once things stabilize, at ARR levels it's gonna be more). It's not THAT much less than doing a leveling roulette.

Didn't know that, that'll do fine enough, thanks!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Antivehicular posted:

The Gold Saucer has been one of my discount locations since I unlocked it, and while I should probably change the other ones (Foundation and the first ShB hub), that one's staying

You can take the airship to the Saucer for free from any of the first four cities (and also also take the airship from the Saucer to Ul'dah for free), if saving gil is a concern.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Orv posted:

Didn't know that, that'll do fine enough, thanks!

Also note that MSQ roulette is still ~400K xp after the daily (that becomes less of a chunk as you level up), and once a week doing 10 Fates for the challenge log will get about 1/4 of an XP bar whether you do them at level or just knock off some quick low level ones.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bruceski posted:

Note that this doesn't apply to level 50/60/etc dungeons, which give minimal xp. You can also do combat beast tribe dailies from ShB and EW at the appropriate level range, which give decent XP. Doing a Wondrous Tails book, once that unlocks, is a good chunk of XP too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

quiggy posted:

What, you don't love having the sad and contemplative music of Amh Araeng interrupted with ~sick guitar riffs~ because some trash mob happened to spot you?

This but unironically

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Schwartzcough posted:

Note that this doesn't apply to level 50/60/etc dungeons, which give minimal xp. You can also do combat beast tribe dailies from ShB and EW at the appropriate level range, which give decent XP. Doing a Wondrous Tails book, once that unlocks, is a good chunk of XP too.

The wondrous tails book is half a level, regardless of level or job you turn it in on. But you do need to accumulate all 9 seals to get the exp.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Don't forget about the weekly challenge logs for XP, too. FATEs and levequests and basically every kind.of duty you can queue for in the duty finder can contribute to one or more challenges that give XP. Each challenge only gives 5% or 10% of a level's worth of XP, but they add up if you knock out a bunch of them on the same job, and most of them ask you to do things you were already going to do anyways.

StB combat tribe dailies aren't as good for XP as the later combat tribes are, but at that level range as a DPS there aren't a lot of better options. If nothing else, it gives you something to do while waiting in a queue for a leveling dungeon.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hittin the 10 challenge reward should be pretty easy each week yeah. it's not bad at all imo

Orv
May 4, 2011
Thanks everyone, I had forgotten about all this stuff.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

If queue times are getting you down and you don't mind a little grind, there's also deep dungeons like Palace of the Dead. once you clear floor 50 you can queue for floors 50-60 whenever you want and get a decent chunk of exp for quick 15 min runs, and you can work toward getting a Kinna weapon at the same time. Conveniently, you can enter with any job at level 1 and you don't need to worry about equipment or even job stones really

Once you get a job to level 70 the best exp returns for your time are IMO spamming FATES in Zone 3 of Bozja/Zadnor.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

You gotta get to 71 to enter Bozja, but the idea is correct.

Orv
May 4, 2011

God Hole posted:

If queue times are getting you down and you don't mind a little grind, there's also deep dungeons like Palace of the Dead. once you clear floor 50 you can queue for floors 50-60 whenever you want and get a decent chunk of exp for quick 15 min runs, and you can work toward getting a Kinna weapon at the same time. Conveniently, you can enter with any job at level 1 and you don't need to worry about equipment or even job stones really

Once you get a job to level 70 the best exp returns for your time are IMO spamming FATES in Zone 3 of Bozja/Zadnor.

Unfortunately PotD queue times seemed even worse than dungeon DPS queues when I tried earlier. My aether gear for PotD is maxed out so maybe soloing 51-60 would be viable for some classes but that might be beyond my level of effort at the moment.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cid isn't an echo right? It seems like a dubious idea for the crew to bring him along to the Garuda confrontation since she could have easily corrupted him. He just was just lucky/had plot armor I guess.

Edit:
Also, this Garuda fight music is pretty kickass

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 25, 2024

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Orv posted:

Unfortunately PotD queue times seemed even worse than dungeon DPS queues when I tried earlier. My aether gear for PotD is maxed out so maybe soloing 51-60 would be viable for some classes but that might be beyond my level of effort at the moment.
Soloing 'normal' PotD or Heaven on High is very easy with tanks or melee DPS, and potentially even easier with ranged DPS if you're more a fan of the glass cannon style. I don't even bother with group PotD unless I'm playing with friends.

Edit: Some quick tips to help.
1) Fight enemies in hallways, not rooms, they're much less likely to have traps. If you're a melee, your basic ranged attack (Tomahawk, Javelin, etc.) is great for getting enemies to come to you one at a time.
2) Don't forget about your items, nothing feels worse than realizing you had the perfect one that could've gotten you out of a jam if you'd remembered to use it.
2.5) This includes the HQ healing potions that come out of chests. Because they drop so frequently, they're basically free. Use them.
3) Once you hit level cap, your goal isn't to fight everything, it's to grab all the treasure and fight enough stuff to get to the next floor.

Oh, and don't forget you have an interrupt (Interject for tanks, Head Graze for ranged DPS), past a certain level it's the only way to stop a mimic from putting pox on you if you don't kill it fast enough.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 25, 2024

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Cid isn't an echo right? It seems like a dubious idea for the crew to bring him along to the Garuda confrontation since she could have easily corrupted him. He just was just lucky/had plot armor I guess.

Edit:
Also, this Garuda fight music is pretty kickass

Nope and nether is Alphinaud for that matter. Out of the whole organisation, only you, a second adventurer who you might have met (the guy with the x warpaint on his face) and Minfilia are Echo users. Everyone really was kinda on the backfoot with the whole primal thing post calamity until you came along.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 25, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Soloing 'normal' PotD or Heaven on High is very easy with tanks or melee DPS, and potentially even easier with ranged DPS if you're more a fan of the glass cannon style. I don't even bother with group PotD unless I'm playing with friends.

Edit: Some quick tips to help.
1) Fight enemies in hallways, not rooms, they're much less likely to have traps. If you're a melee, your basic ranged attack (Tomahawk, Javelin, etc.) is great for getting enemies to come to you one at a time.
2) Don't forget about your items, nothing feels worse than realizing you had the perfect one that could've gotten you out of a jam if you'd remembered to use it.
2.5) This includes the HQ healing potions that come out of chests. Because they drop so frequently, they're basically free. Use them.
3) Once you hit level cap, your goal isn't to fight everything, it's to grab all the treasure and fight enough stuff to get to the next floor.

Oh, and don't forget you have an interrupt (Interject for tanks, Head Graze for ranged DPS), past a certain level it's the only way to stop a mimic from putting pox on you if you don't kill it fast enough.

I'll definitely give it a shot, thanks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Also note you can run most leveling dungeons with NPCs ("duty support"). Generally, they're slower than good player groups, but they don't have queue times and you can go afk at the drop of a hat, and no one is judging you if you're loving up while trying to learn your role/job again.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A Frontline match without the roulette is still worth about a tenth of a level (depends on what level you are) so if you also want to level up the pvp battle pass it's an option to do both. I don't know how much xp a CC match is worth but those are quick too

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So the Crystal Tower stuff used to be a side quest, yes?

I remember doing the first raid back in the day but definitely had never done either of the other two.

Honestly kind of sucks making people wait 3 trips through the DF just to advance MSQ. Not sure I had a wait time under 10 mins and I’m a Tank.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

HaB posted:

So the Crystal Tower stuff used to be a side quest, yes?

I remember doing the first raid back in the day but definitely had never done either of the other two.

Honestly kind of sucks making people wait 3 trips through the DF just to advance MSQ. Not sure I had a wait time under 10 mins and I’m a Tank.

First off: yes it used to be optional. They wanted to use it in the MSQ later though and they decided they didn't want the Estinien situation again (though forcing everyone to make a dragoon would be a hilariously bad thing to implement).

As far as queues go, sometimes it can be slow but tasnks actually have the longest queue times in alliance raids since you only need three of them, 6 healers and 15 DPS

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah tanks have a penalty when queueing for allied raids because they dropped the number of tanks per party to one. Crystal Tower originally had two tanks but the second tank has just busywork to do instead of actual tanking so they dropped it.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 25, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
And it's good they did because you really do not need six tanks. There's just nothing to do. On LOTA, for example, 4 tanks job was literally to stand next to a button and click it when it turned on every few seconds during one of the fights. It's just hard to think of things for offtanks to do.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hell they have issues finding things for three tanks to do, outside of per party add phases.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

And most trials/normal raids don't really have anything for the offtank to do except take over if the main tank dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I have always wondered what is ff14's specific allergy to what wow players call council fights. there are plenty of bosses that don't ask for much positioning work on the tank's part, it's not too much of a stretch to have a target that doesn't need to be tanked but is off doing its own mechanics. or hell, even one that DOES need to be tanked by a melee. give bloodbath more uses