Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

For you Under Ninja appreciators

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1749253898890514465

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Usuzami no Hate dropped. We're on a train

I like that even in the dystopian future curry has endured, you do like your curry spicy right?

Another series I recently picked up has some promising opening chapters. Daikaiju Gaea-tima

quote:

The port town of Sukuba was hit by a huge wave caused by a monster that suddenly appeared from the sea. The inactive monster dissolved into the sea and became a rich source of nutrients for fish and shellfish. As a result, Sukuba's economy thrived. The monster started to be called Gaea-Tima, the god of the harvest.

A young girl, Yako Morinomiya, a victim of the disaster, made a doll of Gaea-Tima, as a memento of the event, which was sold as a souvenir and became a popular item. However, for the first time in 10 years, a monster appears in the reconstructed town of Sukuba...

Is this monster a friend or foe of mankind?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I actually stumbled into an interesting one this morning totally by accident: Tower Dungeon, the latest by Nihei that started in October 2023. I kept thinking it was very similar, especially the mild body horror, until at the end of the current chapter I read the scanlators' notes and saw them mention Nihei. In hindsight it was pretty obvious lol.

Very interested to see his take on the fantasy setting he appears to be devising, now that I know who's writing it I'm sure it's going to get extremely weird and hosed up.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tosk posted:

I actually stumbled into an interesting one this morning totally by accident: Tower Dungeon, the latest by Nihei that started in October 2023. I kept thinking it was very similar, especially the mild body horror, until at the end of the current chapter I read the scanlators' notes and saw them mention Nihei. In hindsight it was pretty obvious lol.

Very interested to see his take on the fantasy setting he appears to be devising, now that I know who's writing it I'm sure it's going to get extremely weird and hosed up.

I was kind of ambivalent on this for, like, the first half of the first chapter, just because of how generic the basic premise is, and how smoothed-out Nihei's art has become over the years. But once I realised that this was basically sword-and-sorcery Blame! and Nihei's essential, y'know, Nihei-ness began to bleed in from the edges I was 100% on board.

Also: I was going to say a lot of Blame! influence in the design of these guys- but then I noticed they have the Safeguard symbol on them. Are they... literal Safeguard??

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The MC has the Gravaton Beam Emmiter design on his clothes, and other people have the Toha Heavy Industries logo :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That said i will be mad if its just sufficiently advanced technology.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

how smoothed-out Nihei's art has become over the years.
Huh, wow, I might not have realized it was him if I'd stumbled upon it randomly. It's weird not having half of everything and everyone covered in Geiger gribblies

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I've been burned too many times by Nihei just ending stuff randomly.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Tower Dungeon is Demon/Dark Souls the manga and I'm absolutely here for it. Loved the bit in Chapter 3 where the sorceress just starts kicking pots to find loot - I've never really fully read any of his works before (perused Blame a long time ago but now I feel like I should revisit it) - but I love the use of negative space in his art style and its really evocative in this one so far.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 12, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jerkface posted:

Tower Dungeon is Demon/Dark Souls the manga and I'm absolutely here for it. Loved the bit in Chapter 3 where the sorceress just starts kicking pots to find loot - I've never really fully read any of his works before (perused Blame a long time ago but now I feel like I should revisit it) - but I love the use of negative space in his art style and its really evocative in this one so far.

This, Undead Adventurer, and Faraway Paladin are the trifecta of "Dark Souls, but manga".

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

how smoothed-out Nihei's art has become over the years.

I really dislike how Nihei's style has changed over the years, which seems to be caused by his editors more than any actual wish of his (if the writer comments from 2018 are anything to go by at least).There's something about the raw-ness of Abara, Blame and Biomega that gave them a unique vibe that his later works can't really replicate. Tho I did like Sidonia for what it was.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

On the one hand, there's something of a loss in mood and energy. On the other hand, you can tell what's going on in action scenes and people's faces are mostly distinguishable now.

The artstyle giveth, the artstyle taketh.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh yeah, I wouldn't have been able to notice this was Nihei's art on a first look. It does make sense that as manga artists grow in their career they would get more concise with their pencil mileage. Though in others it can become an obsession to grow more and more ornate, like what happened with Miura and Inoue.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ah the true sign of society's end,

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1761247363740352963?t=xoeF2FLMBU5-4B5J_oi0_Q&s=19
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1761245565340229775?t=JTZXVf2SMBOsQtGHJDdfaQ&s=19

An ubel blatt adaptation AND sequel

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how bad ubel blatt is. it's not like it was ever subtle!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how bad ubel blatt is. it's not like it was ever subtle!

In my defense I read it back when I first got into scanlated manga in 2008. I can’t even remember anything about it besides some tentacle monster villain that I think becomes an ally?

There’s going to be some super fun opinions whenever it does air

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I read a lot of it in one of those "imma pick this thing up and just read all of it that's there regardless of whatever" binges, though it still wasn't anywhere near done at the time.

It's one of, if not quite the, worst manga I've ever read.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rody One Half posted:

I read a lot of it in one of those "imma pick this thing up and just read all of it that's there regardless of whatever" binges, though it still wasn't anywhere near done at the time.

It's one of, if not quite the, worst manga I've ever read.

Watch it get an insanely lavish and gorgeous adaption as well as dozens of think pieces about how deep and complex the (insert buzzword of choice) is and how it's one of the best pieces of literature ever and getting high reviews from the usuals.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like the "(surprising) offer" part. "You want to adapt THIS? Really? Are you sure?"

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any new (last 5 years) horror or thriller manga with a more 'serious' feel to recommend? By serious I guess I mean something with less of a splatter/b-movie vibe - Manhole, Monster, and Homunculus are good examples of what I'm looking for.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 24, 2024

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

If you haven't read the other Urasawa classics, 20th Century Boys, Pluto and Billy Bat are probably all worth a look.

Maybe Usogui if you don't mind the gambling angle, although it's really long and I haven't finished it.

Maybe Sanctuary, which is old but a classic, or Manhole? Probably not dark enough but Planetes is also excellent, by the same author as Vinland Saga.

I'm not sure if it is quite cerebral enough and I haven't finished it since starting years ago, but Akumetsu might be worth a glance as well. It's a bit ultraviolent in an Old Boy way from what I remember though.

Edit: my bad, didn't see the "last 5 years" in your post. Disregard this, I'll leave it in case anyone else wants recommendations along these lines

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

Watch it get an insanely lavish and gorgeous adaption as well as dozens of think pieces about how deep and complex the (insert buzzword of choice) is and how it's one of the best pieces of literature ever and getting high reviews from the usuals.

This generation needed its own Goblin Slayer.

I kid. It did not.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Any new (last 5 years) horror or thriller manga with a more 'serious' feel to recommend? By serious I guess I mean something with less of a splatter/b-movie vibe - Manhole, Monster, and Homunculus are good examples of what I'm looking for.

This one just started it's official english publication. But you an try The Tree of Death: Yomotsuhegui. Story starts off with a former cop being released from prison after he got revenge for the murder of his wife and child on one of the two men responsible. He goes to finish what he started years ago with the remaining man but things don't go according to plan.

The mangaka is Kakizaki Masasumi who also did Green Blood and Beast Battler. I like his art style and general vibes to his writing. Tree of Death does go do some dark places in just the first volume but both the scanlations available and Seven Seas TLs seem solid. 2nd volume will be out later this year and the final volume is TBA

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

If you want a serious psychological horror with almost no violence, gore or supernatural, I recommend Chi no Wadachi/Blood on the Tracks. It's finished and ran from 2017 to 2023, so I think it counts.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hunh, I've never heard of this. Let's check it out...

Oh.

Welp.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Chas McGill posted:

Fool Night is probably my favorite of that category, but admittedly I'm not a horror expert.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So can you guys explain what the deal is with UB exactly?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

It's "we've got Berserk at home" and I think it gets creepy about the main characters looking like children?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mordja posted:

Well in the first chapter of the manga a bad guy is raping a woman and then his horse gets in on it as well, and there is tons of exploding bodies and our 'hero' starts raping a woman as well before someone tries to stop him.

Also lots of the characters look like they are 10 years old.

I stopped at that point.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's like all the worst parts of Berserk, and ONLY those parts.

I'm genuinely baffled where this adaptation greenlight is coming from. Hell, I was always surprised it got such a long serialization (and now a sequel!), because you never heard or saw anyone talk about it. Maybe it just had really good domestic tank sales.

Don't read Ubel Blatt.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rody One Half posted:

It's like all the worst parts of Berserk, and ONLY those parts.

I'm genuinely baffled where this adaptation greenlight is coming from. Hell, I was always surprised it got such a long serialization (and now a sequel!), because you never heard or saw anyone talk about it. Maybe it just had really good domestic tank sales.

Don't read Ubel Blatt.

From what I surmise the reason you never heard anybody talk about it most likely is because it's a manga for absolute creeps and I'm assuming that you avoid such people and places where they gather.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Chas McGill posted:

It started 7 years ago but Chi no Wadachi (Blood on the Tracks) finished a few months ago if you haven't read that.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Chas McGill posted:

Not strictly horror but it might fit your vibe, read Innocent/Innocent Rouge by Shinichi Sakamoto. Or #drcl but that's not finished yet.

Gannibal also sounds right up your alley.

I really like Kasane, though more of a psychological horror.

For something maybe a little more outside what you're looking for, I really like The Girl from the Other Side. It's a fairy tale horror thing as opposed to a modern slasher horror though.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think Ubel Blatt eventually reached a point where it managed to become more interesting than bad Berserk but it's a long trudge if you're not an edgy teenager.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for all the recs, excited to read them.

Tosk posted:

If you haven't read the other Urasawa classics, 20th Century Boys, Pluto and Billy Bat are probably all worth a look.

Maybe Usogui if you don't mind the gambling angle, although it's really long and I haven't finished it.

Maybe Sanctuary, which is old but a classic, or Manhole? Probably not dark enough but Planetes is also excellent, by the same author as Vinland Saga.

I'm not sure if it is quite cerebral enough and I haven't finished it since starting years ago, but Akumetsu might be worth a glance as well. It's a bit ultraviolent in an Old Boy way from what I remember though.

Edit: my bad, didn't see the "last 5 years" in your post. Disregard this, I'll leave it in case anyone else wants recommendations along these lines
Haha, I've read all these! They're all good recs though.

Brought To You By posted:

This one just started it's official english publication. But you an try The Tree of Death: Yomotsuhegui. Story starts off with a former cop being released from prison after he got revenge for the murder of his wife and child on one of the two men responsible. He goes to finish what he started years ago with the remaining man but things don't go according to plan.
The mangaka is Kakizaki Masasumi who also did Green Blood and Beast Battler. I like his art style and general vibes to his writing. Tree of Death does go do some dark places in just the first volume but both the scanlations available and Seven Seas TLs seem solid. 2nd volume will be out later this year and the final volume is TBA
This looks rad

Lt. Lizard posted:

If you want a serious psychological horror with almost no violence, gore or supernatural, I recommend Chi no Wadachi/Blood on the Tracks. It's finished and ran from 2017 to 2023, so I think it counts.

Julias posted:

It started 7 years ago but Chi no Wadachi (Blood on the Tracks) finished a few months ago if you haven't read that.
I should definitely read this now it's completed.

RuBisCO posted:

Not strictly horror but it might fit your vibe, read Innocent/Innocent Rouge by Shinichi Sakamoto. Or #drcl but that's not finished yet.

Gannibal also sounds right up your alley.

I really like Kasane, though more of a psychological horror.

For something maybe a little more outside what you're looking for, I really like The Girl from the Other Side. It's a fairy tale horror thing as opposed to a modern slasher horror though.
These all look great. I've read the Girl from the Other Side and enjoyed it, so that's also a good rec. I think I actually got a physical copy of it in an ADTRW secret santa exchange many years ago.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Well in the first chapter of the manga a bad guy is raping a woman and then his horse gets in on it as well, and there is tons of exploding bodies and our 'hero' starts raping a woman as well before someone tries to stop him.

Also lots of the characters look like they are 10 years old.

I stopped at that point.

"You don't understand. It NEEDS those things to show how dark and mature the work is, not to mention the realism of how things were back then"

- Someone on Redditor or Anituber

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's weird that the whole "start the series with gratuitous rape" is probably on some checklist for "turn your own dark and edgy manga series into a runaway success!" along with magic-slavery on the female companions/future lovers.

I never checked but someone told me Goblin Slayer never returns to showing a bunch of graphic rape after the first chapter/episode. If true, then why the gently caress even start with that, and if not true, its a case where "show don't tell" is not to the benefit of the story only the titillation of the audience.

Also, after Redo of Healer got an anime series there's almost nothing that could shock me getting made as a 'mainstream' show.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Funny you say that because I started reading Tree of Death because of the thread rec and that hits you with rape almost immediately too

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

THIS on the other hand is actually good news

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1761641014446673943?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Finally, the 'Smoking is Really Cool' anime.