Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

megane posted:

What? The most recent patch was a bunch of bug fixes, but directly previous to that was the Carnival sequence of patches with two entire new missions, a stand-alone boss fight, and a bunch of new weapons (admittedly variants of old ones). That patch was a while ago, because they go on the world’s longest vacation, but like… you’re basing this “trend” on one (1) patch.

i got the game in december and its updated at least 3 times with nothing new. maybe even 4? which in and of itself isnt anything but theyre also not talking about any potential coming additions. not a word about any kind of new content. they also seem to be missing a few probably important positions to adding new stuff. i love the game but it feels like anything new is a long way away. i hope im wrong and they add another faction or class or maps soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Fatshark can sometimes do something surprising out of nowhere, like chaos wastes in vermintide came out of nowhere and was loved by almost everyone and better then all their expansions, the skill tree update for darktide had almost no warning and it revitalized the game for a time, they can surprise the playerbase with what they come up with but boy do the player numbers drop when they decide to go radio silent for half a year since nobody knows if they are working on a grand new thing or decided to take a half year break to work on a console version.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You got it right at the start of their aggressive Swedish vacation season, the biggest dead zone of the year.

They should definitely communicate better but the larger picture suggests that with the class overhaul and crafting implementation done, they're moving back to content in a big way.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Many would probably say the crafting system shouldn't be considered "done".

Especially with the weapon customization mod upstaging them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
dead game

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You got it right at the start of their aggressive Swedish vacation season, the biggest dead zone of the year.

They should definitely communicate better but the larger picture suggests that with the class overhaul and crafting implementation done, they're moving back to content in a big way.

I mean all they really need is some kind of roadmap, but it often seems like they're averse to announcing their plans ahead of time. And I love their games so I don't want to poo poo on their creative process. But more actively updated (but frequently, worse) games just state outright what their plans are for the year so people don't think they died.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

they probably got tired of getting death threats and obscene messages from Gamers

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

drat this mod is wild

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mendrian posted:

I mean all they really need is some kind of roadmap, but it often seems like they're averse to announcing their plans ahead of time. And I love their games so I don't want to poo poo on their creative process. But more actively updated (but frequently, worse) games just state outright what their plans are for the year so people don't think they died.

Yeah, I agree that a roadmap would be nice.

On the other hand, though, they constantly get attacked about having announced things they planned that they then decided against as being like violations of sacred promises, so I kind of get the hesitance to announce literally anything until it's ready.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ijyt posted:

drat this mod is wild

Mods make this game playable.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What mod is that?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Mendrian posted:

Fatshark did a roadmap early around V2's launch and were then burned when they couldn't get the first goal on the map done months after the deadline with no real explanation as to why other than "we're working on it and its hard".

Spoiler: dedicated servers never showed up.

Since then they've started clamming up about any future dates, dropping trailers for updates an hour before the update goes live with zero other leadup, and other strange communication choices.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
fatshark is hilariously slow, but also they're at least seem committed to the games long term. There's no alternative to the tide formula gaming wise, so what can ya do

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
if you visualize the devs as Børk x 20 it all makes sense

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Legit Businessman posted:

Mods make this game playable.

lol what

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It is true the mods improve the experience immensely, you can play without the mods sure, but there is a whole load of quality of life added in for a dozen niggling annoyances that fatshark will likely never get around to improving on their own.

Most of them just focused on making the between-mission junk a lot more bearable, examples being:
hotkeys to move between the stations instead of taking 10-20 seconds to walk between each one and skip the walk to the mission board.
mod to make it default to damnation auric instead of having to adjust that every time.
mod to make the hub load faster, mod to let you organize your inventory better.
mod to favorite or rename weapons you like to help identify them and so you can't delete them by accident.
mod to show more then 6 items at one time and show you their stats without hovering over them, handy when your inventory balloons to 200+ items.
mod for more loadouts.
mod to show what blessings you have unrevealed on every weapon at hadron so you don't have to check a website.
mod to reduce how many clicks to get a usable weapon from brunt and deletes the useless ones automatically.
mod to show the actual max weapon stats that cap at 80% instead of 100%.
mod to simply have melk hand over his melkbucks without having to talk to him.
mod to make the meatgrinder more useful and spawn any enemy type and let them fight back.
mod to let you customize weapon cosmetics and add functional flashlights and scopes.

My in-mission mods are very minor compared to everything to fix up the pre-game portion, like holding block while you are typing (a vermintide feature) mod to show how much is left in deployables before you take one, mod to remove the plasteel/diamantine pickup noise and text that takes up a quarter of the screen, mod to add numbers to the teams UI instead of having to guess whether the teammate with orange ammo has 99% ammo left or 51% before you take ammo and how much HP total they have to see if the Ogyn at 20% is at 50 hp left or 150 hp.

And that's not even all the mods I use, just the ones off the top of my head that vastly improve the experience and I wouldn't want to play without.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 24, 2024

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

seems like a right faff

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I've got to say I'm really liking brain burst this patch with empowered psionics (optionally add venting shriek + fast charge but I didn't always feel that was needed). The quicker recast time really lets you let it rip over and over on special after special after special. If you use fast charge shriek, you can even do solid spike damage to bosses with three charges + another few bursts. I might change my bubble support psyker to use brain burst instead of smite.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

also great about Darktide modding is that most mods easily go through all the minor patches without needing to be updated so very low maintenance in comparison to some other game modding. Definitiviely the best choice they made to enable mods early on.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Brain Burst is so fast when buffed now it’s almost hard to use. You have to be picking your next target while the current cast has barely started.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ijyt posted:

lol what

Huh?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

that's like, your opinion man.

Game's perfectly fun and playable without mods, but this is an disagreement rehashed and worse off then the proverbial dead horse.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I'm pretty sure the vast majority of players play without any mods at all, so saying the game is "unplayable" without a long list of them is a bit silly.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

If you are playing hundreds of hours and posting on a dead gay comedy forum about games then you are probably in the category of "your experience playing darktide would be improved if you spent like 30 minutes to setup mods".

No skin off my back though if you choose to roll modless.

edit: forgot to say, this is my hot take

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure the vast majority of players play without any mods at all, so saying the game is "unplayable" without a long list of them is a bit silly.

Sounds like someone who hasn't used mods in the game. They are pretty great! The water's warm and inviting and tech heresy is only a minor sin in the eyes of the Emperor.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best mod is the one that lets you start the game, walk away, and come back to have the hub already loaded with the last character you played.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
With the director spitting fire Heresy has become fun as hell. Lots of builds that don't work that well in damnation work pretty well in Heresy, which means you can try all sort of builds you've never considered before. Assail is both useful, and, at time, a team saver.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
In contrast, the director in Auric missions seems to sometimes take a breather since the patch. HI:STG missions used to be a nonstop torrent of dudes, but now you can go 10-20 seconds without seeing a single enemy (before the firehose starts up again). It's probably for the best, providing the peaks and valleys of intensity that you're used to seeing on every other difficulty/modifier.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Legit Businessman posted:

Sounds like someone who hasn't used mods in the game. They are pretty great! The water's warm and inviting and tech heresy is only a minor sin in the eyes of the Emperor.

Actually I'm the only one out of my standard group of 4 who uses mods. I agree they can be pretty great, but saying the game is unplayable without them is dumb.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The value of mods is mostly proportional to the amount you engage with the game’s crafting system. With mods it’s reasonably painless and straightforward; baseline without is fairly dreadful.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

True Level mod is great for managing your expectations. I know to be more patient and rely on a fresh 30 less, and don't impose knowledge checks on them like "please don't shoot this Burster I'm going to shove."

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Magitek posted:

The value of mods is mostly proportional to the amount you engage with the game’s crafting system. With mods it’s reasonably painless and straightforward; baseline without is fairly dreadful.

Naw. The only thing that bothers me about the crafting is not being able to sell weapons when talking to Hadron. Aside from that it's pretty painless. Yes, I have done extensive crafting.

Most of the effort for crafting comes from playing the missions to get resources.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Evil Kit posted:

Naw. The only thing that bothers me about the crafting is not being able to sell weapons when talking to Hadron. Aside from that it's pretty painless. Yes, I have done extensive crafting.

Most of the effort for crafting comes from playing the missions to get resources.

Manually purchasing random grays at Brunt’s and selling them one-by-one is an absolutely absurd time sink. It’s really intolerable. It’s especially bad if you’re trying to craft a weapon with a dozen or more potential Blessings like a force sword, as that guarantees that the vast majority of even excellent grays are going to go straight into the trash once ascended.

I couldn’t care less about the time necessary to get the materials. Playing those missions is intrinsically fun and I’d be doing it even if Darktide had no number-go-up gameplay elements, like L4D. I’d sooner play an extra ten missions than hold the X key for a literal hour (that’s lowballing it — even with the instant churn that mods produce my last craft took over 20 minutes).

“Sort by base rating” is also a godsend. It means you only need to spend about 5 seconds looking at the top spots of daily vendors, rather than scroll all the way down every day on every character. It’s more subtle, but it really adds up.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Magitek posted:

Manually purchasing random grays at Brunt’s and selling them one-by-one is an absolutely absurd time sink. It’s really intolerable. It’s especially bad if you’re trying to craft a weapon with a dozen or more potential Blessings like a force sword, as that guarantees that the vast majority of even excellent grays are going to go straight into the trash once ascended.

I couldn’t care less about the time necessary to get the materials. Playing those missions is intrinsically fun and I’d be doing it even if Darktide had no number-go-up gameplay elements, like L4D. I’d sooner play an extra ten missions than hold the X key for a literal hour (that’s lowballing it — even with the instant churn that mods produce my last craft took over 20 minutes).

“Sort by base rating” is also a godsend. It means you only need to spend about 5 seconds looking at the top spots of daily vendors, rather than scroll all the way down every day on every character. It’s more subtle, but it really adds up.

Idk all you gotta do is mash m1 on the buy weapon button and you can buy 400k+ worth of whites in less than 30 seconds, which is usually enough to get a handful of decent rolls and a bunch of sub 310+ greys for blessing farming. The selling system could def use a QoL of some kind, I would love a way to mass sell or just a faster way + a favorites system so you don't accidentally sell something you want.

For real though, how many greys are you buying at a time that it takes you an hour to get through them all? It takes a minute or two at most after I'm done whipping up a new weapon. Completely moddless.

I've got nothing to your last point, I don't even bother looking at what the armory sells. I'm set on curios and anything the armory might have is trash (except it's also the only place to get level 2 blessings to show up with any consistency on a level 30 character. Hope you got Manstopper, Flechette, and Pierce before hitting level 30 on Vet/Zealot or Ogryn.)

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 25, 2024

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

Naw. The only thing that bothers me about the crafting is not being able to sell weapons when talking to Hadron.

For what it's worth, there *is* a mod for that on Nexus. I don't remember what it's called.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Nehru the Damaja posted:

For what it's worth, there *is* a mod for that on Nexus. I don't remember what it's called.

Barter With Hadron

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Magitek posted:

The armory exchange plugin for your internet browser of choice is going to change your life.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Evil Kit posted:

Idk all you gotta do is mash m1 on the buy weapon button and you can buy 400k+ worth of whites in less than 30 seconds, which is usually enough to get a handful of decent rolls and a bunch of sub 310+ greys for blessing farming. The selling system could def use a QoL of some kind, I would love a way to mass sell or just a faster way + a favorites system so you don't accidentally sell something you want.

For real though, how many greys are you buying at a time that it takes you an hour to get through them all? It takes a minute or two at most after I'm done whipping up a new weapon. Completely moddless.

You do you but I personally don't find buying dozens of greys from one vendor, sifting thru the ones I want, upgrading them to hopefully get the blessing/perk combo I want at the other and then one by one selling the leftovers back to the first vendor and repeating the process until I get what I want to be a fun way to spend time. I have thousands of every material, I know every blessing for this weapon at max tier, just let me make what I want instead of making me do this back and forth for 20 minutes.

Getting the resources is just something that happens when playing, hence the stockpiles of them. But I hate playing the "crafting" slot machines so I can play with a blessing/perk combo I have in mind and it's enough to just not make me experiment with builds.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 25, 2024

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone interested on completing Orthus hardmode? I think my buddy I was waiting on has basically bailed on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a 25GB download for Vermintide 2 currently happening. Is this their vs mode testing?