Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

heffray posted:

Is there a reason to use runny loctite blue instead of the gel type? Gel actually stays in place and seems a lot more convenient.

I've used the blue gel on my Husky 701 the last few years, because a big thumper will shake the poo poo out of some fasteners after a while.

It's been my experience that the gel stuff stays... gummy, and there's a fair amount of residue when disassembled. The stuff in the little tube dries into a harder plastic in the threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

slidebite posted:

Talking about loctite/thread lockers/anti seize,

I just wanted to say that if anyone here ever has the opportunity to get into a Henkel (loctite parent company) technical seminar, it is amazingly informative. The number of products they have, including different types of thread lockers/retaining compound/anti-seize, and tons of other stuff, is just amazing. I'm actually arranging a couple next week for 2 of our industrial clients and I can't wait until we do it. The ones I've done previously have been universally well received and the attendees could have easily went another few hours... which if you've ever dealt with a bunch of tradespeople and technical people at the same time, they usually can't leave fast enough.

With the mention of anti-seize here, I will say that the vast majority of applications would probably be better served with a medium strength thread locker as opposed to a lubricant (which is what anti-seize is).

I don't have my manual in front of me, but if it is really runny it might be either aged out (it does have a shelf life) or it might be a "wicking" kind... not really wicking in the classical sense like capillary action, but some loctite will actually climb a fastener and go between the threads of a bolt/nut. That stuff is pretty thin and runny compared to the other stuff.

Would you believe that my customer and I were once discussing the possibility of installing one of our products with loctite at the factory? And they asked us if we had a recommendation for which one to use.

...no, we don't have a recommendation for what loctite product to use on a part that is supposed to be serviceable.

(It was a very "this is last last last resort" sort of discussion and not one really taken seriously, but more of "well, gotta ask for the sake of due diligence.." and in the end no loctite was used. As we expected. But boy that was an interesting discussion)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i hope it was a sensor and not a spark plug, lol

dont they ground through the bung, anyway? i guess you'd get enough displacement when tightening that there'd be sufficient metal-to-metal, but it still doesn't seem ideal from an electrical standpoint either.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
IIRC Subaru actually loctites in their vehicle speed sensors on some years.

It's a threaded in, plastic sensor.

It goes exactly as well as you would think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zjhguOU34

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

totalnewbie posted:

Would you believe that my customer and I were once discussing the possibility of installing one of our products with loctite at the factory? And they asked us if we had a recommendation for which one to use.

...no, we don't have a recommendation for what loctite product to use on a part that is supposed to be serviceable.

(It was a very "this is last last last resort" sort of discussion and not one really taken seriously, but more of "well, gotta ask for the sake of due diligence.." and in the end no loctite was used. As we expected. But boy that was an interesting discussion)
It should be a fairly simple selection process with the right reference. Loctite/Henkel has an awesome quick reference guide with a flowchart on which product to use depending on the application. I have hard copies in my office, but I'll see if I can find a .pdf I can link to. My quick search as I typed this leads me to all sorts of guides, but not the one I'm thinking of. If I can find a e-copy I'll post it later .

Regarding thread lockers, there are more than a few kinds but the biggest issue is does it need to be removable or not and the size of the fastener. Also what the fastener is made of, and hence require a primer/activator or not. You should be able to remove a medium strength thread locker with hand tools and not require heat and a unga-bunga.

I did have to correct one of the loctite tech guys regarding retaining compounds and bearings seats. He was mentioning how much better a hold on a bearing seat with a compound is versus an interference fit (which, in plain shear I believe him) but they totally neglected to consider pre-loading that happens to a bearing when interference mounted which is often required for proper operation. Changing a bearing from a specifically engineered interference fit to a slip fit with a retaining compound is not always a no brainer and could easily have ramifications... even if interference mounting can be a pain in the rear end.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Loctite 277 red on *everything*.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

To my knowledge it's the opposite. Retaining compound is for poo poo that is not supposed to come apart. Period. I've got some green stuff from Loctite - don't recall the number - and it kind of scares me. I haven't used it yet and don't know of anything specific that would require it, but I got some should the need arise.

Loctite 680? It is like magic for keeping bearings in place without needing to press them in or have retaining rings. A buddy had the whine of death in his Mercedes transfercase. One of the taper roller bearings had spun in the case. A new slightly thicker spacer to set the preload and some loctite 680 got that bearing firmly back in place without having to re-machine or replace the case.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Raluek posted:

i hope it was a sensor and not a spark plug, lol

dont they ground through the bung, anyway? i guess you'd get enough displacement when tightening that there'd be sufficient metal-to-metal, but it still doesn't seem ideal from an electrical standpoint either.

Sensor largely do not ground to vehicle chassis anymore. Maybe some still do; I know very little about cars outside of what's directly (and indirectly..) relevant to my job heh

In the end, the issue was resolved with changing the installation torque. Much better...

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Bought my first ever new vehicle (and most expensive by like 4x) a 2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL. It's so smooth and quiet compared to my 08 Fit that I don't know if I'm going to keep dailying the Fit as I had planned. The 2024s have a few upgrades, the only one I really care being wireless android auto, but the 2023 was a fair bit cheaper and 0.9% financing. The dealership tried to force me to pay $800 something for paint sealant "we do that for every vehicle we sell, and it's already been applied we can't do anything about it now" but when I said 'ok then let's cancel all this' and got up to leave they were suddenly able to drop that charge.

Just need my insurance agent to do their thing so I can put on some miles. Too bad the rain is going to resume tonight and continue for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Man, gently caress brakes. Or at least gently caress brake fluid. What a kick in the dick it is to diagnose brake issues when everything surrounding them is all nice and freshly painted. Goddamn parts haven't even rolled out of the garage yet and already look like poo poo.

Worst of all I don't even have anything to show for it because the goddamn things still don't work after nearly 3 weekends of fighting with them.

To ensure I'm not only bitching here:

kastein posted:

Get you a headlamp, anything you look at including the person you're talking to will be very well illuminated.

Man, those LED headlamps that are dirt cheap all over Amazon sure are better than messing with a flashlight while under a car. Anyone else that's dumb like me should get one (or a few, seriously they're real cheap).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Galler posted:

Bought my first ever new vehicle (and most expensive by like 4x) a 2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL. It's so smooth and quiet compared to my 08 Fit that I don't know if I'm going to keep dailying the Fit as I had planned. The 2024s have a few upgrades, the only one I really care being wireless android auto, but the 2023 was a fair bit cheaper and 0.9% financing. The dealership tried to force me to pay $800 something for paint sealant "we do that for every vehicle we sell, and it's already been applied we can't do anything about it now" but when I said 'ok then let's cancel all this' and got up to leave they were suddenly able to drop that charge.

Just need my insurance agent to do their thing so I can put on some miles. Too bad the rain is going to resume tonight and continue for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Fit could probably benefit from some fresh bushings, engine mounts, and shocks to restore smoothness and quiet.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It probably could benefit but I don't expect it would make much difference. It's a very good car but it's still an inexpensive city car. There isn't much sound dampening and there is a lot of glass so a lot of exterior sounds make it inside. There's a lot of wind noise even at just highway speeds and legal interstate speeds are about 4k rpm. It's not at all uncomfortable but all of it kind of adds up. Even with many fewer miles the suspension didn't really soak up the bumps but the tires are a much bigger component. I've got a Sport with the 15" wheel vs the 14" that the base model gets. Everything else is the same though so I dropped down to 14" wheels for my winter tires and the extra sidewall makes it ride so much better. In retrospect, I probably should have just bought another set of 14" steelies with summer tires years ago.

Doing some of the more involved maintenance tasks that I've been wanting to do will be a lot easier, or at least less stressful, now that I have an alternate vehicle. It was a lot easier when I was still living near my parents and could borrow a vehicle or have someone pick up a part if my car could not move. It will hopefully be a lot easier once the quickjacks arrive, but I ordered mine on black friday and they're still backordered so I've got no idea when that will be.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm always somewhat amazed when I ride in (fairly expensive) new Ubers and there's virtually no sound deadening and very cheap feeling light suspension/rough rides, but that's fuel economy for you.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The modern trend of lower profile tires with smaller sidewalls don't help suspension feel I would think. And run flat tires make this worse still I believe.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Galler posted:

Good move on calling their paint sealant bullshit. You may want to look into a ceramic coating applied by a pro to keep the paint nice and make cleaning easier.

His Divine Shadow posted:

The modern trend of lower profile tires with smaller sidewalls don't help suspension feel I would think. And run flat tires make this worse still I believe.
Low profile tires go great with the crumbling infrastructure and poo poo tier roads. I still need to look at the e28 and make sure I didn't bend a wheel last the other day.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm always somewhat amazed when I ride in (fairly expensive) new Ubers and there's virtually no sound deadening and very cheap feeling light suspension/rough rides, but that's fuel economy for you.

Last time I flew into MSY the last rental was a Kia, I could barely fit my legs under the dash and was so loud on the drive across lake Pontchartrain I had to put earplugs in.

Captain McAllister posted:

I've used the blue gel on my Husky 701 the last few years, because a big thumper will shake the poo poo out of some fasteners after a while.

There were a lot of parts that got safety wire on the ATK.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Today I had the privilege of listening to a boomer rant that Audi must have done some fucky metallurgy with their wheels because he had a buddy of his spray them with some “leftover F16 paint” and it was flaking.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Advent Horizon posted:

Today I had the privilege of listening to a boomer rant that Audi must have done some fucky metallurgy with their wheels because he had a buddy of his spray them with some “leftover F16 paint” and it was flaking.

perhaps his buddy didn't use leftover F16 aircraft remover and leftover F16 zinc chromate first

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

!!

https://twitter.com/TrinityGFrancis/status/1762082802718142756?t=2aoD9AMDlAB955pRXOOmTg&s=19

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Found out my lease isn't getting renewed at the apartment I've been at for 3 years. Moving suuucks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

You don't have to cut up a toilet brush, you can get those brushes ready with a shank for an impact. I use them to clean the wheels on the car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Advent Horizon posted:

Yep. Definitely the metallurgy and not the complete lack of prep of any sort typical of people who believe they have leftover F16 paint.

Cage posted:

Found out my lease isn't getting renewed at the apartment I've been at for 3 years. Moving suuucks.

Landlords suck.

You don't have to cut up a toilet brush, you can get those brushes ready with a shank for an impact. I use them to clean the wheels on the car.

I have a set that the bristles run the same direction as the shank for scrubbing, as recommended by several YouTube detailers. Probably less effective than the toilet brush for this particular application, but would at least loosen the debris so it could be vacuumed up. Probably should pick up some of the toilet brush style for wheels, as you say.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

So from my little knowledge of aircraft paints, things like Imron etc flake like hell without perfect prep and process so LOL

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

meltie posted:

perhaps his buddy didn't use leftover F16 aircraft remover and leftover F16 zinc chromate first

yeah I mean without the aircraft remover you're stuck with the whole f16 and those aren't really known for their adhesion to wheels :dadjoke:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

For $9, it's amazing what you can get. Mine have held up for a few years now.
https://www.amazon.com/Holikme-Atta...b/dp/B0C8MBNNNC

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Wife’s Explorer V6 needs a water pump. :suicide:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

wallaka posted:

Wife’s Explorer V6 needs a water pump. :suicide:

Transverse or longitudinal?

If transverse, condolences.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

McTinkerson posted:

If it's longitudinal then condolences as well but it's to do with having to live with one of the worst cars I've ever had to deal with.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Hahaha of course it's transverse.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

big dong wanter posted:

If it's longitudinal then condolences as well but it's to do with having to live with one of the worst cars I've ever had to deal with.

We're had good luck mostly. Put 100k trouble-free miles on a 2013 before totaling it, and this one is pushing 130,000 miles. Only thing I've done to this one so far is spark plugs and maintenance.

I've always had good car luck except for Porsche.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Anyone ever buy this Lego clone brand? https://decadastore.com/products/cada-mercedes-amg-one-c61503w

They're licensed with Mercedes Benz so the quality must be fairly solid, and most reviews seem to suggest it's on par with the quality of Lego Technics stuff. I've got the Lego Porsche GT3 RS and have a spare matching shelf next to it, I don't really love the other three 1/8ths car models available from Lego, and their color scheme doesn't match the room this would live in so I'm trying to find something the same size & fun building level but not from that line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez1alE8tDiw

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Crap, the tooth I had filled last year is hurting again, which possibility I was informed of when this was done. Time for a root canal I guess. Either that, or a life of the entire left side of my head hurting and a liquid diet. Can't lose that molar, because I'm already missing two on the other side, one upper and one lower, and offset, so no opposed pairs on that side.
:shepspends: :retrogames:

Wasn't there a smilie of money on wings flying away? That one, too.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Anyone ever buy this Lego clone brand? https://decadastore.com/products/cada-mercedes-amg-one-c61503w

They're licensed with Mercedes Benz so the quality must be fairly solid, and most reviews seem to suggest it's on par with the quality of Lego Technics stuff. I've got the Lego Porsche GT3 RS and have a spare matching shelf next to it, I don't really love the other three 1/8ths car models available from Lego, and their color scheme doesn't match the room this would live in so I'm trying to find something the same size & fun building level but not from that line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez1alE8tDiw

Not these in particular, but they’re probably the same ones on aliexpress or banggood, and all of the “technical bricks” I’ve gotten from there have been really nice.

Sometimes kits even have the same set number as real Legos.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4044356

Post your kitty in dis thread on Friday and you may receive something! And not a kitty sixxer, altho if you want that too can be arranged :)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Is there a decent image sharing service anymore? Imgur blows.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
So a colleague got killed at a workplace accident and i found out about it today, i go to check the news on the googles and i get a loving article from rupert loving murdoch about how we are overpaid. i swear to god there is no minecraft game that comes even close to what that motherfucker deserves.
If you ever buy one of his papers or contribute financially or whatever to his fuckhead empire gently caress you.
i stg if people working for that loving lich had a mortality rate like we do the world would be a far better place.

im going to calm down now by hugging my cat inbetween chainsmoking and pacing around the yard.

if i ever meet the person who wrote that loving tripe or the big man himself im going to loving pissboard them.

stay safe at work, gently caress news corp, and all power to the union

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Not these in particular, but they’re probably the same ones on aliexpress or banggood, and all of the “technical bricks” I’ve gotten from there have been really nice.

Sometimes kits even have the same set number as real Legos.

I want the knock-off Lego King Crab from Battletech/Mechwarrior:

https://hansenbricks.com/gallery/lego-battletech-mechwarrior-king-crab-mech/

big dong wanter posted:

So a colleague got killed at a workplace accident and i found out about it today, i go to check the news on the googles and i get a loving article from rupert loving murdoch about how we are overpaid. i swear to god there is no minecraft game that comes even close to what that motherfucker deserves.
If you ever buy one of his papers or contribute financially or whatever to his fuckhead empire gently caress you.
i stg if people working for that loving lich had a mortality rate like we do the world would be a far better place.

im going to calm down now by hugging my cat inbetween chainsmoking and pacing around the yard.

if i ever meet the person who wrote that loving tripe or the big man himself im going to loving pissboard them.

Know who is overpaid?

Rupert Murdoch.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

CommieGIR posted:

I want the knock-off Lego King Crab from Battletech/Mechwarrior:

https://hansenbricks.com/gallery/lego-battletech-mechwarrior-king-crab-mech/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005970178433.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

big dong wanter posted:

I do so love how rich folks who sit on their asses all day are allowed to comment on how valuable people who actually work for a living should be. gently caress them.

edit:

Ooo, thanks. Creator says that the parts alone on Bricklink run about $450.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My kid ordered a cat-back exhaust for his RX8 to replace the super loving janky unit on there now and it came with the downpipe as well, totally unexpectedly. Wasn’t mentioned in the sales listing. The current downpipe could definitely stand to be replaced as it’s been welded and patched in the past so we will count that as a win.
Saved him $200 in the bargain.