Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

he's just a dumb violent moron who has the power to speak over anyone he wants and get away with literal crimes, there's no mystery why cops like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonesMcGuire
Jun 18, 2004

SO WHAT THE FUCK
It’s pretty easy to grok why people who chose American-style law enforcement as a career might trip over their own goose-stepping boots to polish the balls of an autocrat, especially if that autocrat’s platform is normalizing saying the white supremacist part out loud :twitter:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Putin would be an idiot not to to pay up. If Trump wins, Ukraine will beg him for peace (or so Putin would think).

The money coming from Putin would raise his status with republicans.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

BonesMcGuire posted:

It’s pretty easy to grok why people who chose American-style law enforcement as a career might trip over their own goose-stepping boots to polish the balls of an autocrat, especially if that autocrat’s platform is normalizing saying the white supremacist part out loud :twitter:

I don't know if this is the same in the US at all but I once worked here in the UK with a former police officer who had left after becoming disillusioned about not being able to break into the bodyguard section.

He said he wasn't a good fit for it. I asked him what he meant by that and he said "it's because I'm not a roided out aggro lunatic". So at least here in the UK it's the part of law enforcement that self selects for the most power tripping arsehole qualities. I can well understand the Trump agenda would be very attractive to them.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

There's been news stories about the secret service getting in trouble on international trips for partying too hard with local prostitutes. They're definitely trumps kinda people. Hell,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2012/apr/15/us-secret-service-scandal-obama

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

BigHead posted:

Appealing a judgment generally pauses that judgement. Depending on the state and type of case the law can impose certain requirements before a defendant can appeal - and thus pause - a judgment. Criminal defendants, for instance, generally need to stay on bail conditions during their appeal. The requirement in NY civil cases is (apparently) to put the judgment amount in the court's escrow. If Trump can't do that, then he can't appeal, which means the judgment doesn't pause.

If the judgement doesn't pause it becomes a "final judgment" which is a legal term of art referring to when all the appeals are done. Like here, he has thirty days to appeal and if he doesn't then the judgment becomes final at the end of that thirty days. A plaintiff can then take that final judgment and do alllllllllllllll sorts of fun and exciting things. Those things, however, all require more paperwork, but at that point the judgment is bulletproof so it's not like he can hope to ignore it. His interest in those buildings gets sold, his bank accounts get handed over, and his nonessential stuff gets seized and sold.

I would only be speculating what the paperwork would entail, but likely some judge would authorize the title transfer like when cars get seized with drugs and guns in them, then the municipality flips it out of the impound lot. There's process for it. I know you asked for specifics of what that process is but that's outside my expertise sorry.

He still gets to appeal, the stay on judgment simply isn't automatic. NY civil law has dealt with debtors running for the hills for 250+ years, its structured to make sure judgments are enforceable. Technically, his inability to post bond cant be used to deny him an appeal under the US constitution.

NY Courts posted:

To enter (record) the judgment, the person who wins the case must:

Serve a copy of the judgment and a copy of the notice of entry form on the person who loses the case. See How Legal Papers Are Delivered. The notice of entry tells the person who loses, the date the judgment was entered (recorded) and when the time to appeal started. The person who loses has 30 days to start the appeal process. See Starting an Appeal

File the Affidavit of Service with the court

Once the judgment is entered (recorded), it can be enforced. When a money judgment is awarded by the court, the person who wins (the creditor), serves a copy of the judgment with notice of entry, and can start Collecting a Judgment against the person who loses (the debtor).

Asking the Court to Stop Enforcement of the Judgment: Filing a Notice of Appeal does not stop or stay the winning side from taking steps to collect or enforce the judgment from the lower court. To put the collection on hold, you may have to ask the court for a stay. You may have to pay an amount of money equal to the judgment amount, called an undertaking, to the court while the appeal is being decided. See How to Ask the Court for Something.

People make so many weird assertions about how the NY court process works. It would be disastrously unjust if you couldn't fight a judgment just because you couldn't pay if you lost, it has nothing to do with the merit of the case.

https://www.nycourts.gov/CourtHelp/

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

BigHead posted:

Appealing a judgment generally pauses that judgement. Depending on the state and type of case the law can impose certain requirements before a defendant can appeal - and thus pause - a judgment. Criminal defendants, for instance, generally need to stay on bail conditions during their appeal. The requirement in NY civil cases is (apparently) to put the judgment amount in the court's escrow. If Trump can't do that, then he can't appeal, which means the judgment doesn't pause.

If the judgement doesn't pause it becomes a "final judgment" which is a legal term of art referring to when all the appeals are done. Like here, he has thirty days to appeal and if he doesn't then the judgment becomes final at the end of that thirty days. A plaintiff can then take that final judgment and do alllllllllllllll sorts of fun and exciting things. Those things, however, all require more paperwork, but at that point the judgment is bulletproof so it's not like he can hope to ignore it. His interest in those buildings gets sold, his bank accounts get handed over, and his nonessential stuff gets seized and sold.

I would only be speculating what the paperwork would entail, but likely some judge would authorize the title transfer like when cars get seized with drugs and guns in them, then the municipality flips it out of the impound lot. There's process for it. I know you asked for specifics of what that process is but that's outside my expertise sorry.

This is good, thanks.

Who transfers the bank account and building titles? The monitor?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Okay maybe I overstated the case, but I struggle to wrap my head around being willing to eat that much poo poo on a personal level from this guy being an odious rear end in a top hat. I know why cops support the guy, I guess I just assumed that direct, personal, daily interaction would be some sort of remedy rather than seeming to strengthen it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Appeals don't typically pause criminal sentencing. You can ask for a sentence to be stayed pending appeal but such requests are almost never ever granted.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

small butter posted:

Trump is not really in control of his businesses in NY but the monitor is, correct? So what happens when the deadline comes? Is the monitor looking at what to liquidate now or does that process start at the deadline?

A good way to think about it is that the monitor can never do anything at their own initiative. They have fiduciary duty both to Trump and the people he owes money to, and cannot do anything that harms either party's interest (which covers basically everything they could possibly do), unless compelled to do so by the appropriate legal order. So the monitor basically has to twiddle their thumbs until the appropriate paperwork is delivered to them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tish James having fun it seems https://twitter.com/JoJoFromJerz/status/1761463040598224999

Caros
May 14, 2008

Barrel Cactaur posted:

He still gets to appeal, the stay on judgment simply isn't automatic. NY civil law has dealt with debtors running for the hills for 250+ years, its structured to make sure judgments are enforceable. Technically, his inability to post bond cant be used to deny him an appeal under the US constitution.

People make so many weird assertions about how the NY court process works. It would be disastrously unjust if you couldn't fight a judgment just because you couldn't pay if you lost, it has nothing to do with the merit of the case.

https://www.nycourts.gov/CourtHelp/

I think the issue here is that this is largely a distinction without a difference.

The options are:

1. Trump fronts the money, either through a bond or by liquidating a bunch of poo poo to get the cash on hand. The judgement is stayed and the money sits in escrow pending him losing the appeal.

2. He appeals but can't (or won't) post the money. 30 days pass and the state starts cleaning out his poo poo to pay the judgement.

3. He appeals and the judicial system has some. Form of brain damage to give him a temporary stay.

Anything other than the brain damage option is fundamentally the same. Trump has to come up with half a billion that he doesn't have.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
What's the source of all the assertions the USSS was ride or die for Trump? I remember hearing stories that they loathed him because of dumb poo poo he put them through

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

again he'd probably just do the "oh I'm not taking a presidential salary" thing he claims that he did for his first term.

Trump once cashed a check for ten cents. Bank processing that check is like seven cents.

If Trump cashed a ten-cent check that netted him three cents, I have doubts he withheld from taking a presidential salary.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

What's the source of all the assertions the USSS was ride or die for Trump? I remember hearing stories that they loathed him because of dumb poo poo he put them through
It only takes a couple people being Trump loyalists to cause some serious issues. Trump can move specific people into roles with more responsibility, like Tony Ornato.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm just a european person dumping into the thread with no real prior knowledge of US electoral processes, but what the gently caress is going on in the election?

Can Trump just re-up for election even though he's under investigation for everything from stealing government docs to couping the last election? If so, is there any punishment he can receive that will make him ineligible for the office?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Dick Jones posted:

Even if one were to spin these statements in the most positive light possible ("I'm being unfairly treated by a biased justice system just like you people"), he's basically acknowledging a core tenet of Critical Race Theory.
I'm pretty sure he was trying to say exactly that but that was the best he could get his brain and his mouth to agree on

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You can run for the Presidency in prison. There's basically only 2 conditions to be president (35+ y/o and a natural born citizen) , plus a couple of other situations which bar an otherwise eligible candidate (term limits or barred by the insurrection clause)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Tias posted:

I'm just a european person dumping into the thread with no real prior knowledge of US electoral processes, but what the gently caress is going on in the election?

Can Trump just re-up for election even though he's under investigation for everything from stealing government docs to couping the last election? If so, is there any punishment he can receive that will make him ineligible for the office?

Being "under investigation" has no legal ramifications for Trump in terms of running for re-election, because A) the legal and political system presumes innocence until one has been proven guilty in a court of law; and B) the assumption was that the American people would be sane enough to weigh accusations heavily against a person's candidacy rather than simply screaming "TRUMP IS JESUS" and slamming the voting button. If this wasn't the case, then I guarantee you some Attorney General in some chud state would immediately open up investigations on Biden in order to get Biden declared ineligible.

There is the possibility that if he is found guilty of supporting insurrection - the Georgia & DC cases - some states will declare him ineligible to appear on the ballot, and he may be considered ineligible due to the 14th amendment stating "No person shall ... hold any office ... who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States ... shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof." but there's a bunch of legal hurdles that the Supreme Court would need to rule on over whether Trump was 'an officer' or 'engaged in insurrection' because while the laws are clear to a bystander, they're not legally water-tight and clear. But all of that presupposes that Trump loses one of those cases before January and also the Supreme Court rules on those things prior to January, none of which is guaranteed. Or even necessarily likely.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tias posted:

There are actually very few situations in which you are absolutely forbidden from becoming president:

-fail to meet the age and citizenship from birth eligibility criteria

-term limited

-impeached and convicted during a previous administration

-confirmed insurrectionist (probably)

“have a clean record” is not an official requirement, because nobody foresaw anyone would have the balls to continue to seek the presidency in such a situation

1 and 2 are requirements he indisputably clears. We tried 3 but his allies refused to convict. 4 is currently making its way through the courts

You’d hope the voters would reject a candidate like this, but US culture is so rotten that a large minority still support him, enough to win every intra-party contest

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 25, 2024

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

DarkHorse posted:

I'm definitely not "the source," but I had work-related meetings with 2 high ranking members of the USSS (heads of protection divisions). I'm not saying that they were Trump loyalists, but even these guys only had positive things to say about Trump. They said he was a delightful guy he was to work with on a personal level. He knew everybody's names, was super friendly, etc. They didn't say anything about any other politicians, even though Biden had been elected at that time.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Can Trump run for the presidency from exile in Moldova?

Also didn't the Saudis give Kushner $2bil a couple of years ago, 400 mil is small change compared to that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tias posted:

Actually, no. Constitutionally speaking you can run for office from prison, and people have in the past. The founders were afraid the criminal power would be misused to prevent legitimate candidates from running.

There's not really a way, in a democracy, to prevent a candidate that 45% of the country wants to be president from running for the office, especially when that 45% has almost all the money.

The problem is that 45% of the nation are horrible people who think Trump is an ideal to look up to and therefore want him to be their leader.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

There are actually very few situations in which you are absolutely forbidden from becoming president:

-fail to meet the age and citizenship from birth eligibility criteria

-term limited

-confirmed insurrectionist (probably)

“have a clean record” is not an official requirement, because nobody foresaw anyone would have the balls to continue to seek the presidency in such a situation

1 and 2 are requirements he indisputably clears. We tried 3 but his allies refused to convict. 4 is currently making its way through the courts

You’d hope the voters would reject a candidate like this, but US culture is so rotten that a large minority still support him, enough to win every intra-party contest

Just for arguments sake in a democracy even the last two all of these are just hurdles that can be surmounted given a sufficient will of the population at large.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 25, 2024

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

DarkHorse posted:

One thing of note is that dozens of USSS agents destroyed text messages from Jan 6th after they were ordered to preserve them. The excuse given was flimsy and unbelievable.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tias posted:

Being accused of a crime, even an election-related crime, is not a disqualifying factor for office. Even if he were to be convicted of a crime, that still wouldn't be disqualifying.

There's two problems here, generally.

The first is that there are very few methods to disqualify a president, they're all difficult to use by design, and they've all been hardly ever used so there's a lot of ambiguity around them.

The second and most important problem is that all of those methods allow a considerable amount of flexibility from the people who'd have to make the decision about whether or not to invoke those methods. And in practice, nobody wants to take on the controversy of disqualifying a leading presidential candidate. As politically disastrous as a Trump victory might be, taking the unprecedented step of disqualifying Trump while he has a credible shot at winning wouldn't be all that much better.

While there were a number of measures originally placed in the Constitution to allow the political establishment to override the will of the people in one way or another, in practice pretty much all of those measures have been eroded away by the political establishment's reluctance to go too far in directly defying the will of the voters. And honestly, I don't really think that's actually a bad thing! It just means we shouldn't hope for the political elites to step in and overturn the results of a basically fair election in order to save us from ourselves.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Trump once cashed a check for ten cents. Bank processing that check is like seven cents.

If Trump cashed a ten-cent check that netted him three cents, I have doubts he withheld from taking a presidential salary.

His press sec used to declare which charity he donated his salary to that quarter. They could of lied but your going to get caught out quickly doing this.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

haveblue posted:

To be prevented from running you have to have the penalty of being barred from future office tossed on by the Senate. Simple removal from Office is the default of a conviction.

knox_harrington posted:

Can Trump run for the presidency from exile in Moldova?

Also didn't the Saudis give Kushner $2bil a couple of years ago, 400 mil is small change compared to that.

As long as you have 14 years of residency within the US, and are otherwise eligible, you can run from anywhere in the world. We insist on the lowest bars possible to become the most powerful person in the world for 2-10 years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's that residency requirement? Isn't it "natural born citizen"?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mobby_6kl posted:

What's that residency requirement? Isn't it "natural born citizen"?

The order of qualifications is

Article 2 Section 1
-Natural Born Citizen/Citizen at time of the adoption of the Constitution
-Age 35+
-Been 14 years a resident of the United States

14th Amendment
-Not a traitor

20th Amendment
-Not having served 2 terms already

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what was the process for becoming a citizen before the constitution was adopted?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Subjunctive posted:

what was the process for becoming a citizen before the constitution was adopted?

Descendants of the English (and English-adjacent demographics) were full subjects of the Crown with full rights from birth, for everyone else it depended on the colonial charter and that week's lunch menu in Parliament but it was generally a pain in the rear end to "naturalize". Permanent residency was easier. In 1790 the new nation made all-ish free white people citizens.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Subjunctive posted:

Depends on the State, since before the Constitution we were under the Articles of Confederation. The reference to citizens in the Articles is " the free inhabitants of each of these states, paupers, vagabonds and fugitives from Justice excepted, shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of free citizens in the several states"

Given the state of records and such at the time, probably have shown up a couple years ago, looked white, and been "respectable" enough for the community to not run you out on a rail.

The first actual definition I could find is from the Nationality Act of 1790 which says:
White(1790s definition) dudes who had been living in the US for at least 2 years, and their children who were under 21.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Very wise of the founders to foresee the menace of anchor babies and ban them from being president

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

haveblue posted:

Very wise of the founders to foresee the menace of anchor babies and ban them from being president

Some people's outrage over "anchor" babies baffles me.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

haveblue posted:

In context the UK has a pretty long history of having non-British Monarchs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Before 1790, there was no such thing as US citizenship. Each state had its own citizenship laws, and each state was supposed to treat other states' citizens equally.

If that sounds stupid, keep in mind the idea of national citizenship was still pretty new and weird at the time. The idea of citizenship as a formal legal institution had mostly faded away in the medieval era, absorbed into feudalistic concepts in which you would be a subject of a ruler (rather than a citizen of a state), and only reemerged with the rise of increasingly centralized states in the early modern era, not too long before the American Revolution.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Gyges posted:

The reference to citizens in the Articles is " the free inhabitants of each of these states, paupers, vagabonds and fugitives from Justice excepted, shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of free citizens in the several states"

Is it too late to have Trump declared a vagabond and retroactively strip him of his citizenship? I guess he’ll be a pauper soon too, so we’ve got options.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks for the good answers! I realize that you don't want petty barriers on criminal record for the presidency, I just figured that, maybe, somehow, the whole "ordering congress stormed" thing might have kicked off a censuring clause of some kind or other.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Actually, no. Constitutionally speaking you can run for office from prison, and people have in the past.

I pray nightly for zombie Eugene Debs to return and lead your people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tias posted:

Thanks for the good answers! I realize that you don't want petty barriers on criminal record for the presidency, I just figured that, maybe, somehow, the whole "ordering congress stormed" thing might have kicked off a censuring clause of some kind or other.

I pray nightly for zombie Eugene Debs to return and lead your people!

In theory it does, on the basis that ‘insurrection’ is a disqualifier.
In practice it does not because everything is entirely partisan and facts don’t matter.