Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s actually worse. He basically gives some mealy mouthed didn’t hear about it and sad that it happened and then a big BUT and goes on that long bullshit to assuage himself and sorta use the base as an excuse and shield. And he gets cheers.

Apparently, this guy's a first time state senator who was previously a owner-operator truck driver who ripped off a Native American mechanic and got punched out by him at a car show. He won his seat unopposed after winning the Republican primary. Also, he was still collecting campaign funds, despite no opposition candidate, up until election day to pay off liens and debts. Dude is absolute filth.
https://nondoc.com/2022/08/31/senator-elect-tom-woods-punched-in-face/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Never apologize or feel bad for looking down on these folks

but the NYT trump safari article #79234797237 says these people have ideas and stuff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean I'm reading Nixonland right now and it's hilarious how prescient it is despite being about poo poo that happened 60 years ago. A bunch of really educated newspaper and book writers went all the way up their own asses trying to find the hidden truth of the conservative, and when it came down to it, it was much more simple than that. White, middle class people in this country are primed to be racist loving reactionaries the second they are inconvenienced or think that other people might catch up to them in prosperity. And they will vote for whoever tells them that they're right and that they shouldn't have to accept people of color, the poor, the oppressed, etc because it interferes with the narrative that they are the protagonist and are doing better than those people because they are hardworking and moral American citizens, and the others are degenerate filth. And for those reactionaries on the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder, it's even easier, because they can just blame those others for why their lives are unsuccessful and unsatisfying. "It's those moochers taking" they say, as they happily collect their monthly food stamps.

This country is deeply hosed because of its racist reactionary roots and America's failure to reckon with it post-civil war.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, this guy's a first time state senator who was previously a owner-operator truck driver who ripped off a Native American mechanic and got punched out by him at a car show. He won his seat unopposed after winning the Republican primary. Also, he was still collecting campaign funds, despite no opposition candidate, up until election day to pay off liens and debts. Dude is absolute filth.
https://nondoc.com/2022/08/31/senator-elect-tom-woods-punched-in-face/

Wow it's like a bingo card of worst conservative bullshit ever.

Sarcastro posted:

I've enjoyed, from time to time, looking up the "lives in" location of someone on FB who tells me or someone similarly situated that we "live in a bubble." Invariably it's someone living in a town of 2,000 in a county of 20,000 (98% white, obviously), speaking to those of us who live in a metro area with eight million.

I have an acquaintance, who, in the depths of the Trump insanity, once asked me what "flyover country" was. I explained in basic terms what it meant (essentially the sparsely-populated middle areas of the country) and they, aghast, called it such a horrifying elitist term.

Said acquaintance grew up in the wealthiest mid-size city in the country (Pleasanton, CA). He didn't even live in anywhere that would be close to "flyover country" until a year or two ago (which funny enough was when they stopped being so goddamn chuddy). It's like Ben Shapiro calling people who go to college elitists when he's a graduate from loving UCLA and Harvard.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 24, 2024

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Mooseontheloose posted:

This also reminds me that in 2016 we were all told we were living in a bubble and they we don't understand these people, we have to make the attempt. Never the other way around mind you, that's not how this works.

If we're in a bubble, it's because we understand them all too loving well. They're not complex enigmas, they're just assholes.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean I'm reading Nixonland right now and it's hilarious how prescient it is despite being about poo poo that happened 60 years ago. A bunch of really educated newspaper and book writers went all the way up their own asses trying to find the hidden truth of the conservative, and when it came down to it, it was much more simple than that. White, middle class people in this country are primed to be racist loving reactionaries the second they are inconvenienced or think that other people might catch up to them in prosperity. And they will vote for whoever tells them that they're right and that they shouldn't have to accept people of color, the poor, the oppressed, etc because it interferes with the narrative that they are the protagonist and are doing better than those people because they are hardworking and moral American citizens, and the others are degenerate filth. And for those reactionaries on the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder, it's even easier, because they can just blame those others for why their lives are unsuccessful and unsatisfying. "It's those moochers taking" they say, as they happily collect their monthly food stamps.

This country is deeply hosed because of its racist reactionary roots and America's failure to reckon with it post-civil war.

I would argue this is true and it's worse: as people in general become poorer, the white reactionaries are easier and easier to rile, because they expect minorities to be even worse off than them. As our material conditions degrade, the more people get sucked into the racist whirlpool and the more racist they become.

I'm not excusing this as economic anxiety, mind. I think that white middle class racists could choose to put that energy toward you know, capitalism, and they actively decide to blame others rather than hold the system to account.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

CNN called South Carolina for Trump the second polls closed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mendrian posted:

I would argue this is true and it's worse: as people in general become poorer, the white reactionaries are easier and easier to rile, because they expect minorities to be even worse off than them. As our material conditions degrade, the more people get sucked into the racist whirlpool and the more racist they become.

I'm not excusing this as economic anxiety, mind. I think that white middle class racists could choose to put that energy toward you know, capitalism, and they actively decide to blame others rather than hold the system to account.

There's not a lot of motivation to go after capitalism or reform the system or hold it accountable. They're not upset the system exists and is screwing them, they're upset the system exists and isn't screwing those minorities harder than them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mendrian posted:

"Economic anxiety" as expressed in Trump supporters is not a function of actual economic security; it's a function of status. The support base for MAGA continues to be correlated with income.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Exactly right. "Economic anxiety" is just another word for what they perceive as a misalignment of the inevitable hierarchy of things. One of the core tenets of the fascist mindset is that the world consists of natural hierarchies that we should embrace rather than resist. This definitely includes racial, religious, and gender pecking orders and poor white fascists see themselves as victims of a system actively favoring minorities via unfairly granting them advantages. This is why they hate "welfare queens" while collecting welfare themselves. They deserve the welfare. Those filthy [insert minority here] don't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
To be clear the post-trump polling correlation was very slight- being a bit wealthier was only slightly more likely to make you an R. Also to be clear, there are entirely valid measures of economic anxiety, but even in those cases it's a perceptual construct that's linked to actual economic insecurity, not the same as actual economic status. The underlying point remains- "material conditions" were never the driver here, nor capitalism, except in the broadest and most unfalsifiably useless sense whereby it contains literally all expressions of material and social status and power.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

The issue is that they think capitalism itself is fair, and that their problems are the result of things like affirmative action twisting capitalism and making it unfair. They see no reason why they should be mad at capitalism, and in fact believe that the problem is with minorities corrupting capitalism. They need to be convinced that capitalism is the root of their problems - and it's not easy to do that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Depends on what breed of dog. The concept of dog years isn't really sound because different breeds have vastly different life spans.

My wife and I have been fostering elderly, sick, and behaviorally difficult dogs for 11 years and I could not disagree more. The amount of behavioral euthanasia among shelter dogs is shocking and depressing. My wife and I are technically fostering these dogs, but almost all of them end up with us for the rest of their lives because nobody wants a dog over 6 years old or one that was surrendered for "behavioral reasons."

If you can afford it and you aren't going to abuse it, then you should adopt a dog. Don't buy from a breeder and be sure to check out senior dogs and dogs with "behavioral" or "health" issues. Sometimes, it is as simple as just giving them medicine and going to the vet once every 6 months, but that "health issue" stigma drives people away and those dogs end up euthanized. It's a huge bummer.

Second this. So many great dogs just aching for a stable home life and having their breed needs met to blossom. Senior dogs are great, especially if you want a breed that tends to be high energy but can’t meet the needs of a younger dog.

You are doing gods work man.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Main Paineframe posted:

The issue is that they think capitalism itself is fair, and that their problems are the result of things like affirmative action twisting capitalism and making it unfair. They see no reason why they should be mad at capitalism, and in fact believe that the problem is with minorities corrupting capitalism. They need to be convinced that capitalism is the root of their problems - and it's not easy to do that.
The term I've seen used is "crony capitalism", which is the bad kind of capitalism with the self-dealing and unfair advantages and collusion and the corruption, in contrast to the virtuous kind of capitalism, where everything is just and fair and you get rewarded for your smarts and hard work.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The shelter I volunteer with (assisting God's one true animal, cats, but I appreciate the dog volunteers too) doesn't euthanize for health reasons unless the animal's quality of life is horrific and unfixable... but every doggo that gets adopted or fostered is another space for another dog.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Exactly right. "Economic anxiety" is just another word for what they perceive as a misalignment of the inevitable hierarchy of things. One of the core tenets of the fascist mindset is that the world consists of natural hierarchies that we should embrace rather than resist. This definitely includes racial, religious, and gender pecking orders and poor white fascists see themselves as victims of a system actively favoring minorities via unfairly granting them advantages.

This special brand of elitism is exactly why Trump won in 2016 and why the door’s open for him to win again. Sneering at a middle class that has consistently shrunk over the past 50 years, that finds cornerstones like home ownership and higher education increasingly out of reach, and telling them that what they’re feeling isn’t economic anxiety but is, in fact, racism is myopic at best. These people voted for mainstream candidates on both sides of the aisle during that timeframe, and things did not improve. They are victims, and trying to argue otherwise is absurd.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
on one hand the middle class has certainly been squeezed hard for the last few decades, but on the other hand, even when the middle class was king of poo poo mountain it was driven by massive amounts of racial animus and nationalism, so it feels like a stretch that people are being forced by desperation to vote for trump. you look back on the salad days and there are nixon and reagan staring back at you

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

This special brand of elitism is exactly why Trump won in 2016 and why the door’s open for him to win again. Sneering at a middle class that has consistently shrunk over the past 50 years, that finds cornerstones like home ownership and higher education increasingly out of reach, and telling them that what they’re feeling isn’t economic anxiety but is, in fact, racism is myopic at best. These people voted for mainstream candidates on both sides of the aisle during that timeframe, and things did not improve. They are victims, and trying to argue otherwise is absurd.
As comforting as the narrative may be (especially for self-professed former Republicans), this "sneering libs driving the economically anxious to Trump" lie has been repeatedly debunked over the last 8 years.

PRRI(https://www.prri.org/research/white-working-class-attitudes-economy-trade-immigration-election-donald-trump/), Post 16 election posted:

Notably, while only marginally significant at conventional levels (P<0.1), being in fair or poor financial shape actually predicted support for Hillary Clinton among white working-class Americans, rather than support for Donald Trump. Those who reported being in fair or poor financial shape were 1.7 times more likely to support Clinton, compared to those who were in better financial shape
In fact, based on self-reported economic anxiety, the only members of the White Working Class that went for Trump heavier than Clinton were those who by their own description were not experiencing economic anxiety. Every other segment of the working class, as you're well aware, went overwhelmingly for Clinton.

Still PRRI posted:

However, survey results demonstrate no evidence for several leading theories.

White working-class voters who experienced a loss of social and economic standing were not any more likely favor Trump than those whose status remained the same or improved.

White working-class voters who reported that someone in their household was dealing with a health issue—such as drug addiction, alcohol abuse, or depression—were actually less likely to express support for Trump’s candidacy.

There is no correlation between the level of civic engagement and preference for Trump among white working-class voters.

Still, many factors remain correlated with support for Trump’s candidacy among white working-class voters.

White working-class voters who said discrimination against whites is a serious problem were much more likely to favor Trump than those who did not (74% vs. 40%, respectively).

Similarly, white working-class voters who expressed anxieties about cultural change—a composite variable that combined a belief that the U.S. needs to be protected from foreign influence and feelings of being “a stranger in my own country”—expressed a much stronger preference for Trump than those who did not (79% vs. 43%, respectively).

White working-class voters who advocated deporting immigrants living in the country illegally overwhelmingly favored Trump, while those who favored alternative policies expressed far less support (87% vs. 49%, respectively).

Roughly three-quarters (74%) of white working-class voters who say society punishes men “just for acting like men” supported Trump, compared to 48% of those who reject this statement.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean, I think the grain of truth in that theory is something that has been pointed out here many times, which is that Democrats have dropped the ball on really addressing the needs of the working class and also taken certain minority votes for granted. It's unserious to claim Republicans are doing better at that, but they are great at appealing to spite. I think that's what people are aiming for when they go off about "economic anxiety" and "coastal liberal elites" but they're missing the mark a bit. (The key error being that they seem to think it's largely about culture war stuff when it's way more about simply failing to really deliver what people need.)

EDIT: Or perhaps more accurately, that's one side of the equation -- the side where Democrats have lost ground. It's not the whole story and ignores the fact that a lot of Republicans just hate whatever the perceived "left" is doing no matter what.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 25, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean, I think the grain of truth in that theory is something that has been pointed out here many times, which is that Democrats have dropped the ball on really addressing the needs of the working class and also taken certain minority votes for granted. It's unserious to claim Republicans are doing better at that, but they are great at appealing to spite. I think that's what people are aiming for when they go off about "economic anxiety" and "coastal liberal elites" but they're missing the mark a bit. (The key error being that they seem to think it's largely about culture war stuff when it's way more about simply failing to really deliver what people need.)

EDIT: Or perhaps more accurately, that's one side of the equation -- the side where Democrats have lost ground. It's not the whole story and ignores the fact that a lot of Republicans just hate whatever the perceived "left" is doing no matter what.

Reread the previous posts; on both policy and demographics you are believing exactly the opposite of reality.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Yeah but "vibes"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Almost everyone under capitalism feels economic anxiety. I'm not denying that such a feeling exists. I'm denying that it causes people to embrace fascism. Your post is basically that comic strip about the guy gradually donning Nazi regalia and claiming that he was forced to do it.

An avalanche of data shows that Trump voters are motivated by racist ideology or hatred for their perceived enemies. At one point into his term, Trump was the most popular Republican among Republicans ever recorded in pollong. Can you explain why that is, given the fact he did almost nothing to address the economic anxiety you're touting as being the main reason he was elected?

If these "victims" voted for him primarily because of material conditions, and then their material conditions did not really improve that much or at all, why didn't they turn on him in huge numbers? Why would they then return to him 4 years later when his only legislative accomplishment was to gently caress the working class via tax cuts for the rich? He doesn't even have a platform. He has no plans to improve the material conditions of working people and they know that.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 25, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

The Democrats have actually attempted to do quite a bit to address the needs of the working class, and the only reason it's all stopped at attempts is that Republicans consistently line up to unanimously oppose and block those attempts. People make snide cracks about tax cuts and means-testing, but the Dems include that stuff in hopes that it'll budge the seemingly-unbreakable red wall that stands firmly in the way of any economic measure that helps the poor.

The problem isn't that the Dems aren't helping the working class, the problem is that the working class seems to be convinced that instead of government investment and involvement in the economy, they'd rather have tax cuts, privatization, and the dismantling of affirmative action. The working class back culture war stuff because they think that culture war stuff is what people need!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Almost everyone under capitalism feels economic anxiety. I'm not denying that such a feeling exists. I'm denying that it causes people to embrace fascism. Your post is basically that comic strip about the guy gradually donning Nazi regalia and claiming that he was forced to do it.

An avalanche of data shows that Trump voters are motivated by racist ideology or hatred for their perceived enemies. At one point into his term, Trump was the most popular Republican among Republicans ever recorded in pollong. Can you explain why that is, given the fact he did almost nothing to address the economic anxiety you're touting as being the main reason he was elected?

If these "victims" voted for him primarily because of material conditions, and then their material conditions did not really improve that much or at all, why didn't they turn on him in huge numbers? Why would they then return to him 4 years later when his only legislative accomplishment was to gently caress the working class via tax cuts for the rich? He doesn't even have a platform. He has no plans to improve the material conditions of working people and they know that.

It's quite possible for them to believe that A leads to B, in the standard bait-and-hook rhetoric used by awful monsters throughout history - if we get rid of [target undesirable group] who are the cause of all of society's ills, the prosperity of all the "right" kinds of people will improve because those parasites aren't around anymore. It's also quite possible for them to believe that the reason why Trump didn't do a single thing to help them is because he was being blocked from doing so by RINOs and the Deep State, in a standard example of the "dictator is simultaneously all powerful but also impotent and besieged on all sides by internal enemies that must be purged" paradox.

I don't believe at all that too much of Trump's base vote for Trump purely for economic reasons, but I do believe that there are a significant amount of people who are bigoted enough that they believe if Trump could simply get rid of all the Mexicans/trans people/etc then their own life and conditions would materially improve(presumably through magic).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 25, 2024

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem isn't that the Dems aren't helping the working class, the problem is that the working class seems to be convinced that instead of government investment and involvement in the economy, they'd rather have tax cuts, privatization, and the dismantling of affirmative action. The working class back culture war stuff because they think that culture war stuff is what people need!

I think we want to distinguish that the white working class here. And even then, it's still skewed to the Democrats. The white small business owners however...

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Kanos posted:

It's quite possible for them to believe that A leads to B, in the standard bait-and-hook rhetoric used by awful monsters throughout history - if we get rid of [target undesirable group] who are the cause of all of society's ills, the prosperity of all the "right" kinds of people will improve because those parasites aren't around anymore. It's also quite possible for them to believe that the reason why Trump didn't do a single thing to help them is because he was being blocked from doing so by RINOs and the Deep State, in a standard example of the "dictator is simultaneously all powerful but also impotent and besieged on all sides by internal enemies that must be purged" paradox.

I don't believe at all that too much of Trump's base vote for Trump purely for economic reasons, but I do believe that there are a significant amount of people who are racist enough that they believe if Trump could simply get rid of all the Mexicans/trans people/etc then their own life and conditions would materially improve(presumably through magic).

Conservatives absolutely think a huge percentage of the nation's (and their own) money goes to foreign countries and "lazy" Americans/immigrants, and that affirmative action is the act of promoting less competent people out of "fairness." Often in delusional ways, but they've internalized it. It's part of the whole consequence of a lot of white working class people nostalgic for the glory days when the Democrats built them a social safety net that was explicitly racist and nativist, and enough time passing that people born benefiting from that saw others getting the help they already enjoyed as a wasteful handout.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
That may be true ("conservatives" believing we spend a huge amount of money on foreign aid and welfare) but if a person bases their entire worldview on an assertion that can be factually debunked in less than 30 seconds, while simultaneously spending many hours a week gleefully gorging themselves on racist rhetoric and media, I'm going to make the assumption that that person is not reachable and that they are just looking for a way to confirm their racism.

"But if we just take care of these people they'll reject fascism" is an insane assertion.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Can someone explain to me why the media reports that when Trump scores 60 percent of the primary votes its an amazing victory for him, but if Biden doesn't score 90 percent he's washed up and it's game over for the democrats?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

That may be true ("conservatives" believing we spend a huge amount of money on foreign aid and welfare) but if a person bases their entire worldview on an assertion that can be factually debunked in less than 30 seconds, while simultaneously spending many hours a week gleefully gorging themselves on racist rhetoric and media, I'm going to make the assumption that that person is not reachable and that they are just looking for a way to confirm their racism.

"But if we just take care of these people they'll reject fascism" is an insane assertion.

Oh, trust me, I largely agree with you. I'm not trying to make the case that if we just suddenly instituted UBI or something it would instantly solve bigotry, because it won't - the issue will then shift to "well the UBI checks of REAL AMERICANS could be bigger if it weren't for all those illegals leeching off the system" or some poo poo.

I do think that basic human economic concerns are a huge part of why fascist rhetoric works as well as it does, though. Claiming that you're poor and miserable because The Enemy is keeping you down and promising that if they support you you'll lead them against The Enemy is the classic approach for a reason.

Cimber posted:

Can someone explain to me why the media reports that when Trump scores 60 percent of the primary votes its an amazing victory for him, but if Biden doesn't score 90 percent he's washed up and it's game over for the democrats?

Because the media is in love with Donald Trump and even "liberal" media sources absolutely love when he's in the limelight because he's an infinite content generator. Trumpists love watching Trump and anti-Trumpists love watching people trying to dunk on Trump.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cimber posted:

The media desperately wants a horse race just in general, and specifically they did really well when Trump was president, so they have a strong incentive to spin whatever they can as positive for him, when it comes to winning the election

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Trump definitely has a major advantage but he's not literally sitting in the Oval Office like Biden is. I don't think the race matters but one is actually a sitting president and one isn't.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
In fairness 60% of the vote, against functionally one other person, in that person's home state... just isn't the same as 60% in any other circumstance.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Cimber posted:

I feel like the first part of what you said is false (Trump scoring 60-70 percent as an “incumbent” is not great if you think about it) and the second part is true (Biden better be cleaning up in the primary at a 90 percent clip or so like he is doing, to score less would in fact indicate huge problems for him).

It is just that the first part is rarely covered that way in media, Trump’s performance in the GOP primary is often covered as if it is a regular contested primary instead of what should be a coronation of a candidate that is essentially an incumbent within the GOP party structure.

You occasionally see it mentioned that Trump even losing a quarter to third of the GOP primary vote is actually a big deal, in a bad way, for him, but not often enough.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The question is whether you judge Trump as am incumbent running in the primary and getting 60% or it's an open primary where he's dominating. We really don't have a precedent for the in-between he's in outside of hypothetical Al Gore 2004 polling.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kanos posted:

Oh, trust me, I largely agree with you. I'm not trying to make the case that if we just suddenly instituted UBI or something it would instantly solve bigotry, because it won't - the issue will then shift to "well the UBI checks of REAL AMERICANS could be bigger if it weren't for all those illegals leeching off the system" or some poo poo.

I do think that basic human economic concerns are a huge part of why fascist rhetoric works as well as it does, though. Claiming that you're poor and miserable because The Enemy is keeping you down and promising that if they support you you'll lead them against The Enemy is the classic approach for a reason.

No. This was addressed on this very page. Scroll up. Stop making us re-refute the claim.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

No. This was addressed on this very page. Scroll up. Stop making us re-refute the claim.

I'm not arguing that the economic anxiety excuse is valid or suggesting that addressing material conditions would change the minds of the vast majority of Trump voters.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kanos posted:

I'm not arguing that the economic anxiety excuse is valid or suggesting that addressing material conditions would change the minds of the vast majority of Trump voters.

Yes, you are.

Kanos posted:

It has already been demonstrated, with citations, that this is not the case, on this page.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Why does the far right get voted in in Sweden or Switzerland? Aren't they happy with free healthcare and worker rights that Americans can only dream of? Norway saw one of the worst far right terror attacks ever and conservatives recently gained there. But there's practically no homeless people there (cold climate, I know), the schools are great and teachers are respected, etc.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

Because the media is in love with Donald Trump and even "liberal" media sources absolutely love when he's in the limelight because he's an infinite content generator. Trumpists love watching Trump and anti-Trumpists love watching people trying to dunk on Trump.

There's always going to be people who are poorer and more miserable than they want to be. Fascism isn't people at the bottom rung of the class structure throwing fists out of resentment for being at the bottom rung, it's people in the middle and upper rungs throwing fists because they see the people below them climbing the rungs and resent losing their social and class superiority over people they consider their lessers.

When talking about fascism at a basic level like this, Umberto Eco's fourteen properties of ur-fascism are a generally well-regarded way to look at what fascism even means, as well as what it seeks.

1. The cult of tradition - A strong strain of cultural conservatism, focusing heavily on the past and tradition.

2. Rejection of modernism - A belief that modern cultural developments are fundamentally degenerate, and that society must reject modern social and cultural developments and return to the ideals of a past society (frequently the pre-Enlightenment era)

3. The cult of action for action's sake - Basically, a rejection of conducting studies, gathering data, or otherwise engaging in scientific inquiry or study. The "action for action's sake" is to make decisions and take action based entirely on your gut feeling and ideological priors, without making any attempt to seriously analyze things or study the impacts of your actions. In other words, it's basically an anti-intellectualism that rejects even the slightest hint of technocracy.

4. Disagreement is treason - Demanding ideological obedience above all, and refusing to permit even the slightest criticism or dissidence, even from ideological allies.

5. Fear of difference - Demonizing outsiders and those who are different from the majority.

6. Appeal to a frustrated middle class - While this one might speak for itself, it's important to note that Umberto specifically described it as the middle class being "frightened by the pressure of lower social groups" (in the 1930s, this "pressure" was typically better known as "socialism"). Rather than pushback against economic pain, it's pushback against the people who are pushing back against economic pain.

7. Obsession with a plot - "Plot" in this case means "evil scheme", an idea that some enemy group is scheming to persecute or destroy them or their nation.

8. Their enemies are both too strong and too weak at the same time - They must present their enemies as strong, wealthy, and prosperous, to make them a good target for jealousy and resentment. But at the same time, they must present their enemies as weak and easily defeated, so that they don't feel fear for their enemies. The contradiction here is largely avoided by #3 (which encourages the followers not to think too hard about things) and #4 (which immediately exiles and demonizes anyone who calls out the contradictions).

9. Life is permanent warfare, and therefore pacifism is trafficking with the enemy - Speaks for itself, I think.

10. Contempt for the weak - Fascist nationalism extols all good members of the group as strong, and therefore those who are not strong must not be good members of the group. This tends to go hand-in-hand with the rigid social hierarchies fascism tends to introduce and enforce, encouraging people to look down on everyone below them.

11. Everybody is educated to become a hero - An extension of #9 and #10. The ideology declares that all good members of the group must be strong, and that they must all be in permanent warfare against the enemies described in #7 and #8. This tends to result in an extremely strong ideological obsession with glory, and especially an obsession with glorious death as martyrs sacrificing themselves for their group.

12. Machismo - As Umberto puts it, "Since both permanent war and heroism are difficult games to play, the Ur-Fascist transfers his will to power to sexual matters". Leads to a strong drive to exercise sexual power over others, and a strong obsession with "traditional" sexual practices (as viewed through their own biased lens), typically resulting in a strongly misogynistic patriarchy with extreme intolerance of LGBTQ people.

13. Selective populism - Putting the will of the people above all, but refusing to treat the will of the people as the collective expression of the will of individuals. Rather, it detaches the idea of "will of the people" from individuals or collective expressions of individual will, treating it instead as a monolithic hivemind that can only be truly communicated with and interpreted by their leader. In other words, it's a fundamental rejection of democracy, and a belief that only their favorite authoritarian can truly know what the people really want.

14. Newspeak - Rather than saying straight out what they mean, the fascists rely on euphemisms and avoid many words entirely, trimming down vocabulary and syntax (especially if they gain power) to prevent people from being exposed in any way to ideas that don't fit the fascist narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, you are.

The first half of the original post that you first quoted has me acknowledging that even if you addressed the material concerns of Trump voters, they would simply move the goalposts, which is functionally admitting that material concerns are not the primary motivation of the people in question.

Material concerns are, however, a really good smokescreen cover for more publicly unpalatable or unacceptable beliefs. They're also a really good way to attract people who might not initially share your awful beliefs to give you a hearing.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 25, 2024