Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
self checkouts are peak neoliberalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You wouldn't self checkout a car would you??

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Instead people should be checking each other out.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

thalweg posted:

The fred meyer near my house has gone full surveillance cop mode. They put overhead cameras above each self checkout that are presumably always recording. I scanned one of those little plastic containers of rosemary and tossed it into my bag, and it was too light to set off the weight detection or whatever and the machine kept asking me to bag the item. The attendant came over and had to watch the video of me scanning and bagging before he could press the button to let me keep going.

drat it's becoming more ethical every day to steal as much poo poo as you can from these fuckers

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
How many of you also have those flashing blue light towers in the parking lot of your local Walmart/Target/grocery that mimic a police car?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Whooping Crabs posted:

How many of you also have those flashing blue light towers in the parking lot of your local Walmart/Target/grocery that mimic a police car?

There's some of those at the local Lowes and they also emit recorded phrases periodically and have a very police-badge-looking logo and "THIS AREA SECURED BY PD" on them and if you look closely PD means the company name, which is Protection Devices or something like that, real cute

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Whooping Crabs posted:

Ours sits there and periodically yells "THIS IS FOR YOUR SAFETY"

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
i attempted to sneak past Kroger Security a rotisserie and they rightfully took my hand as penance. i fought the law and the law won

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Our Walmart has the blue light it's on the sign for the parking spot in front (it used to be the closest handicap spot) reserved for the cops

When I worked at home depot everybody hated using self checkout because everything is big and heavy and sucks to scan. They expected the self checkout cashier to help everybody and basically check them out like a regular register, except there were four checkouts and only one attendant so you'd just end up with them helping one customer while the other three were waiting getting mad and waiting for help when they had a problem

Also rats made a nest in one of the machines and ate all the wires and pissed all over everything so that was pretty great

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Dog Case posted:

Our Walmart has the blue light it's on the sign for the parking spot in front (it used to be the closest handicap spot) reserved for the cops

When I worked at home depot everybody hated using self checkout because everything is big and heavy and sucks to scan. They expected the self checkout cashier to help everybody and basically check them out like a regular register, except there were four checkouts and only one attendant so you'd just end up with them helping one customer while the other three were waiting getting mad and waiting for help when they had a problem

Also rats made a nest in one of the machines and ate all the wires and pissed all over everything so that was pretty great

More evidence that rats are comrades

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

thalweg posted:

The fred meyer near my house has gone full surveillance cop mode. They put overhead cameras above each self checkout that are presumably always recording. I scanned one of those little plastic containers of rosemary and tossed it into my bag, and it was too light to set off the weight detection or whatever and the machine kept asking me to bag the item. The attendant came over and had to watch the video of me scanning and bagging before he could press the button to let me keep going.

Fred Meyer is just becoming the most unpleasant place to shop at between this and the perimeter sensors on the shopping carts randomly going off while you’re in the store and making you take out your id so they can physically scan it to by some goddamn NyQuil and now they have armed security guards checking your receipt like it’s Costco but they’re armed

The Kroger near my mom’s in the Atlanta suburbs doesn’t have any of this poo poo so it’s definitely regional and not corporate policy

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Fred Meyer is just becoming the most unpleasant place to shop at between this and the perimeter sensors on the shopping carts randomly going off while you’re in the store and making you take out your id so they can physically scan it to by some goddamn NyQuil and now they have armed security guards checking your receipt like it’s Costco but they’re armed

The Kroger near my mom’s in the Atlanta suburbs doesn’t have any of this poo poo so it’s definitely regional and not corporate policy

Gonna shoot you over a bulk package of poo poo tickets

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s always fun when somebody shares an anecdote that they think is going to get them approval but then it turns out oh poo poo people don’t like this and they try to backtrack but are self aware enough to know what they’ve already said and they try to thread the needle when they could just stop posting for a while

Except when it happens to me

It’s not fun in that one specific case

Just remembered the fucko who posted about not being allowed to wear an American flag pin at work and then everyone making GBS threads on him and his loving pin.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
idk maybe it's just me but being surrounded by cops and cameras when i'm trying to buy a banana seems like a bad sign of the state of things

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Andorra posted:

idk maybe it's just me but being surrounded by cops and cameras when i'm trying to buy a banana seems like a bad sign of the state of things

gotta pretend the reason service keeps worsening despite prices continually rising is because of shrinkage and "those" people

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Hey when did they tear down the murder kroger anyway

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Whooping Crabs posted:

Kmart premised an entire company around this

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Kitfox88 posted:

gotta pretend the reason service keeps worsening despite prices continually rising is because of shrinkage and "those" people

those people as in ceos and shrinkage as in wage theft?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

In Training posted:

Hands off the rosemary. Step away from the kiosk. Slowly with your hands behind your head.
There are like half a dozen armed guards (tactical vest and all, lol) at the Kroger here in downtown Cincinnati so I'm waiting to one day unironically hear that from them.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
I went to an outlet mall in Florida that had a sheriff’s lookout post on a scissor lift in the parking lot. Strange use of state resources.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ive only tried self checkout once & it called a cashier over to click a button 3 times for 4 items so i just said gently caress this and went to the regular checkout

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

ive only tried self checkout once & it called a cashier over to click a button 3 times for 4 items so i just said gently caress this and went to the regular checkout

I had a vegetarian meal once, it didn't taste right and I was hungry afterwards, so now I only eat meat based meals.

Self checkouts should be great for reducing useless labour, it's just that capitalism doesn't let it work

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Carthag Tuek posted:

this is some three olives alt?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

other people posted:

this is some three olives alt?

you don't have to be rich to have hassle with self-checkouts

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
It was the only having tried it once bit that got me. In my experience there often isn't a choice not to.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

other people posted:

It was the only having tried it once bit that got me. In my experience there often isn't a choice not to.

Weirdly enough my local Target seems to have a paranoid manager (DM?) because all of the self-checkouts are closed 24/7 and have been for two weeks now. Roped off.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

other people posted:

wait are you saying theres stores without human cashiers?? never seen one in denmark

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Didn’t the retailer group come out with a report showing the shop lifting crisis was all bullshit and the lose in shrink was most likely a math error?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait are you saying theres stores without human cashiers?? never seen one in denmark

Føtex often has a choice between gigantic queues or short queue for self checkout? Also self scan in Netto owns when there's a huge queue and you just go right past it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BonHair posted:

Føtex often has a choice between gigantic queues or short queue for self checkout? Also self scan in Netto owns when there's a huge queue and you just go right past it.

it was a netto one i tried & i think the problem may have been that i was buying discounted cold cuts that were near the expiration date, so if that was why it needed a cashier to push a button, i might as well never use it cause i buy those 100% of the time to stick in my freezer

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I live near a supermarket where the locals skew old and rich, and they make a specific point of not having self-service/automated checkouts.

Everywhere else is almost all "self" service and it sure looks like it sucks rear end for the one harried clerk who has to babysit a dozen self-checkouts and constantly intervene/override them.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Epic High Five posted:

As long as everything is being recorded, catching you at the time of checkout isn't terribly important. They can just go back months to find some people to prosecute and, true or not, you're left with the choice between somehow proving you didn't steal a banana last June and joining the criminal caste

i don't think any municipality will go the lengths you're thinking of to prosecute shoplifting, especially after the fact.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hey when did they tear down the murder kroger anyway

the concept of kroger nicknames has been one of the most confusing cultural adjusments i had to make moving to georgia

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Carthag Tuek posted:

it was a netto one i tried & i think the problem may have been that i was buying discounted cold cuts that were near the expiration date, so if that was why it needed a cashier to push a button, i might as well never use it cause i buy those 100% of the time to stick in my freezer

The aldi nearest my house has self-checkouts but they have this exact problem. Can't use them (without assistance) if you're buying anything with a discount sticker on it. Real pain in the arse. Coles and woolworths have no issue setting it up so that discount stickers scan at the self-checkouts, aldi's just weird about checkouts; they also do this thing where they're constantly opening and closing them and an announcement will tell you to start lining up at checkout three or whatever but there's no one there - and they might be there in half a minute or you might be waiting five minutes while the announcement keeps telling people to start lining up at checkout three.

But on the other hand, aldi's own brand products scan so amazingly easily at self-checkout. Barcodes on every side so you don't even need to look, just swipe them through and it works practically every time. Unlike the other supermarkets where you've got to locate the barcode and find the perfect angle where the machine deigns tor read it. Also aldi's self-checkouts don't get impatient with you and tell you to take your shopiing sixty times a second while you're busy putting it into your bags.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I used a self-checkout once and it swallowed my bottle deposit receipt.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
i used self checkout and didnt appreciate how the machine leered at me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I want all machines to look at me like Atorox looks at women.

On-topic: when I was considering the 2000s as a child, I never imagined how much of my income I'd have to spend on god drat toilet paper in 2024.

No don't reply with what you want to reply with.

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 15:21 on Feb 25, 2024

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
a few years ago I lived near a grocery store with a self-scan thing, and it was great. they just gave you a little handheld dealie and whenever you put something new in your cart you’d scan it right there. then at checkout you’d just have it send the whole list you’d built up to their system and be done in under a minute. but it was probably too easy to steal from for some pencil pusher’s liking, no scale for weight checks or anything, because I’ve never seen it since

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

a few years ago I lived near a grocery store with a self-scan thing, and it was great. they just gave you a little handheld dealie and whenever you put something new in your cart you’d scan it right there. then at checkout you’d just have it send the whole list you’d built up to their system and be done in under a minute. but it was probably too easy to steal from for some pencil pusher’s liking, no scale for weight checks or anything, because I’ve never seen it since

A lot of b2b shops work this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Kitfox88 posted:

DROP THE AVOCADO. YOU HAVE TWENTY SECONDS TO COMPLY.

ED$2.99