Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Vikar Jerome posted:

I did it around there first try :smuggo:

Came close tho, just gotta be having debuffs hitting and dropkicking going on, healing every other turn

All my debuffs fell off him the second phase which could have just been bad timing. I probably should go look into more specific ones other than kasugas tackle. But most of his regular attacks were hitting for 350 vs my 750 hp folks so if I missed a guard timing, woops. Then the AOEs were hitting 3 people at a time for that and he's sometimes do two in a row.

What debuffs were you using? I had kasuga as desperado, Eric as cabbie, chitose as housekeeper and adachi as samurai.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

trevorreznik posted:

All my debuffs fell off him the second phase which could have just been bad timing. I probably should go look into more specific ones other than kasugas tackle. But most of his regular attacks were hitting for 350 vs my 750 hp folks so if I missed a guard timing, woops. Then the AOEs were hitting 3 people at a time for that and he's sometimes do two in a row.

What debuffs were you using? I had kasuga as desperado, Eric as cabbie, chitose as housekeeper and adachi as samurai.

I think i had ichi as freelance (with skills from hero) or hero with skills from freelance i cant remember now, tomi desperado with some pryo skills (not really used), chitose as the ninja with a mix of skills from hiress (tree pose) and tennis/house keeper. (Lovers lob, and the scub that kills buffs and moneysucker) I had joongi as his normal self. I was kinda winging it, Joongi was throwing defense lowering bombs at him some times, i had chichan hitting lovers lob, i had some attack lower skill too, that was all i used. The defense lower and attack lower last a long time and then i thinkk i used bartender summon right off for the buffs and ichis attack raise and just kept at it cycling healing every other turn when i needed and keeping an eye on the debuffs mostly.

Dropkick and headbutt and reverse german suplex are the best freelancer stuff, dropkick very rarely misses and your nearly doing 4 digits with defense lower 3.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 25, 2024

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

No I do not need to do it so I can have a 10,000,000 yen gold statue of myself one in Osaka and one for Tokyo.

Incorrect, I do indeed need to have golden statues of Kiryu and Majima that 40 years later end up on my sick resort island.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm guessing gold statues are your reward for beating the optional end boss for doing all the side quests? Not gonna get Kiryus then cuz gently caress teltel club and repeated girls. But Majima I am ready to roll.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm guessing gold statues are your reward for beating the optional end boss for doing all the side quests? Not gonna get Kiryus then cuz gently caress teltel club and repeated girls. But Majima I am ready to roll.

No you buy them with money after finishing the businesses stories. They are not a reward and must be purchased although cabaret club does give you just enough that you can just buy the statue with your winnings instead of buying abilities

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh. I finished those things for the most part. I haven't S tiered the final real estate round due to never being able to go in my office due to the story preventing me for a while.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh. I finished those things for the most part. I haven't S tiered the final real estate round due to never being able to go in my office due to the story preventing me for a while.

If you have 10,000,000 yen go find an empty pedestal in club sunshine where it’s tucked away or the pedestal right by the entrance for real estate royale. You’ll see an x promt show up and then get a prompt to burn 10 billion yen on the most ludicrous waste of money possible

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is there a trick to getting keeper enemies (gold crown dudes) to respawn? I accidentally (I think) sold the breakers anklet and it's the last piece I need to build the ultimate weapon.

I have all ultimate weapons built besides that, with all of them at least +10, some +30 and Ichiban's bat at +50.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I had to buy it at $40. Kinda like Kiwami, Kiwami 2, Yak3 and 4 and 5 which I sold when I got the remastered collection and 6 and 7 and judgement 1 and 2 and isshin and that other one I just bought in asia so I'd have a physical copy.

But I've almost finished 0 finally. Kinda feel like I need a physical copy of Dead Souls.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nobody needs a physical copy of dead souls unless it’s part of a humanitarian effort to take bad games out of circulation

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nobody needs a physical copy of dead souls unless it’s part of a humanitarian effort to take bad games out of circulation

I did my duty buying it on release so we could eventually get all the whipass rest of the series, but I’m ashamed to say I eventually sold it back into circulation. Even for a diehard like me, that one didn’t feel like I needed to keep it on hand. Once was enough.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Thinking about putting my dead souls disc into my ps3 rn...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't dead souls the only other game you can play as Majima?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

Man my level 41 party with level 6 weapons / 5 armor just got brutally owned by robo michio

Good grief that was a lot of aoe after he was halfway down.

Just wait until the boss of the next section of that dungeon.

Probably the hardest fight I've encountered so far (though I haven't done the Amon stuff). Still beat it on the first try, but took a while.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't dead souls the only other game you can play as Majima?

You can also play as him in kiwami 2

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Big Swell section 4: that boss was extremely easy (I also got lucky with attack up buffs from pyrodancer and tennis ace weapons) also thematically weird because Yamai and Majima aren't two people I'd associate with each other.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Big Swell section 4: that boss was extremely easy (I also got lucky with attack up buffs from pyrodancer and tennis ace weapons) also thematically weird because Yamai and Majima aren't two people I'd associate with each other.

Not in the face of it no but while playing his final boss fight in the story I had the thought of huh feels kinda like they're making Yamai into Ichi's Majima and I'm glad to see that subtext made more obvious in your spoiler

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ytlaya posted:

Just wait until the boss of the next section of that dungeon.

Probably the hardest fight I've encountered so far (though I haven't done the Amon stuff). Still beat it on the first try, but took a while.

Wait I thought this was the final boss of the hawaii dungeon.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

trevorreznik posted:

Wait I thought this was the final boss of the hawaii dungeon.

There are EX floors tuned for premium adventure.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

seiferguy posted:

Is there a trick to getting keeper enemies (gold crown dudes) to respawn? I accidentally (I think) sold the breakers anklet and it's the last piece I need to build the ultimate weapon.

I have all ultimate weapons built besides that, with all of them at least +10, some +30 and Ichiban's bat at +50.
they definitely respawn between chapters, other than that no idea.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

seiferguy posted:

go to the bar & sleep for 24 hours

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

honestly i feel like that game would've been fine if it was about punching zombies instead

i'd say it would let them get more brutal but heat moves are already like 90% (not)deathblows anyway so maybe it would've been redundant

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wette Burger in Isezaki Road has 3 incredible conversations (1 food 2 green ones around it) just stellar stuff

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Just tried the haunt ex and got half way through the first floor and i just dont think i can force myself to finish it lol. I put reacher on instead :cool:

I still got the suijimon storyline and ....the island... to do tho and those last few substories which i assume are both suji and "romance" ones

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Got platinum for the game :toot: finished big swell too. I was around lvl 70 average, and final boss wasn't hard. If you start the battle off with Ichiban's tag team, your buffs make the fight trivial.

Runa posted:

Not in the face of it no but while playing his final boss fight in the story I had the thought of huh feels kinda like they're making Yamai into Ichi's Majima and I'm glad to see that subtext made more obvious in your spoiler

This actually makes a lot more sense in that context.

Hwurmp posted:

go to the bar & sleep for 24 hours

Eventually it showed back up after I changed hours, so... hooray? Got the best weapon for the worst class lol

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yakuza/LaD discussion got me to watch Midnight Diner and the follow-up series, Midnight Diner: Tokyo Nights, which are basically TV episodes of what might as well be Yakuza substories being discussed in a tiny little restaurant in Kamurocho/Kabukicho. The intro sequence includes a drive-by of the Tenkaichi St gate and the Don Quixote store. Each episode centres around a dish that a particular character has fond memories of, and it makes me as hungry as the food in the actual games. It's so good. If you're a Yakuza/LaD fan you owe it to yourself to check this show out.

Thanks for suggesting this - I started watching Midnight Diner: Tokyo Nights out because of your post. It's a fantastic little show.

It's on Netflix and worth checking out - the episodes are only 20 minutes long - if anyone else is curious.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Late chapter 12 COME ON!! DAIGO'S SECURITY WENT UNDER AFTER A YEAR??? THAT GUY CANT DO SHIIIIIIT ALL

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Late chapter 12 COME ON!! DAIGO'S SECURITY WENT UNDER AFTER A YEAR??? THAT GUY CANT DO SHIIIIIIT ALL

Useless daigo, evergreen

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Power scaling chitose forma de vtuber is stronger than daigo easy

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Useless daigo, evergreen

To be fair, wasn't Watase involved too? Where is he hiding?

Also it must be hard for an ex-yakuza to have a good PR department; the Tatara stuff was basically "DID YOU KNOW THEY'RE GIVING YAKUZA JOBS????" which...they can't deny.

...Daigo's doing his best with bad situations, leave him alone :mad:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It is funny to see all these old fogeys get absolutely owned by the Internet and being like ??? gently caress it guess we lose we don't understand this

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Daigo having an aneurysm because a 13-year-old boy said "skibidi gyatt lmao" at him

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Now that I think about it, the idea of Ebina trying to explain to Sawashiro and other old guard yakuza what a vtuber is and why having an interview with a squeaky voiced anime girl will totally be impactful is completely hilarious.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Rejected substory: kiryu tries to figure out hatsune miku

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Now that I have all the best weapons, some thoughts on generic jobs:

Male Classes:

Pyrodancer: This does an excellent amount of damage if you can match weakness type. The best weapon occasionally boosts attack after a turn, so you can really pump up the damage. I've had excellent success with Kiryu or Zhao in this class. Adding some water and gun based attacks from Desperado and Aquanaut more or less complete it.

Samurai: This has 2 skills that I cross class everywhere, which is burning arrow and cycle of Iaido. Burning arrow has no business being as powerful as it is for only 20MP. If an enemy is weak against fire or gun, this decimates them. That being said, as a slashing class, it's not as good as pyro, and the ultimate weapon only extends status ailments on enemies, which is only good in certain situations.

Aquanaut: I know folks here aren't fond of this class outside of certain abilities, but with it's best weapon and class specific armor, you can 1. ignore resistances similar to Zhao's best gangster weapon, 2. Add water debuffs to enemies as you hit them. Cresting Carver is extremely powerful especially if you can line up the attack. Given the armor requirement, I'd choose folks that aren't Ichiban or Kiryu for this since their armor is too good to not use for general purpose.

Breaker: lol this class sucks, don't use it.

Desperado: Definitely should have one of these in your party post-game. So many enemies have gun weakness, and poisoned cloudburst is a very helpful attack with a poison debuff. Tomi is a natural fit then cross-class some of his cabbie stuff onto it.

Action Star: Pretty much all blunt damage outside of a light gun attack. Relentless Dragon Attack is very good for cross-classing. The weapon increases physical damage you give and receive so as an all around blunt damage it's the best, but otherwise is sort of limited in usage.

Host: Having 2 Essence abilities that are fire and ice make it incredibly powerful. Nanba and Tomi naturally are the best fits for this. Cross-class Jellyfish from Aquanaut for electric coverage. The weapon gives a magic up after you defeat an enemy, so it's limited in usage. That said, if you get your hands on the armor, it gives you a buff against blunt and slashing damage which gives you great defense.

Chef: It's basically a poor version of Homeless Guy, EXCEPT! If you have the best weapon in the game, it gives a boost to ability output at the cost of 25% more MP per spell. So now you have good fire and slashing abilities that will do a lot of damage. Tried this with Ichiban and now Dondoko Beam does a lot more (at a 125mp cost though). I have yet to get the best armor for it though :shrug:

Linebacker: it's a tank class, but I haven't really felt the need for tanking. Every ability thus far it has I feel is outclassed elsewhere. The best weapon functions like Dragon of Dojima in brawler in that a perfect guard counterattacks, and the armor buffs you the more enemies are raged. It's... limited.

Female classes:

Geodancer: definitely my favorite female class. The trick here is that the ultimate weapon gives magic up, and several of her abilities give willpower down. Her strongest attacks are magic neutral based so combine these, then use Blossoming 'Uli'uli or Kumu Hula Corkscrew and wreck stuff. Additionally, the essence healing removes all ailments from your party regardless of how close they are to you.

Idol: It's more healing based than geodancer, with spells that cost less than essence of natural healing but only do good healing or remove ailments. There's also charming and stuff, but overall, I've rarely found myself in an MP pinch. Sadly, not that great of a class relative to Geodancer.

Kunoichi: This class relies heavily on it's agility buffs. Naturally substitution jutsu is great, but you can easily cross-class it. Feels a bit like female samurai, since having slashing damage is nice, but sadly not a great damage output. It's a better version of breaker, which isn't saying much.

Housekeeper: Basically female aquanaut but... better? The ultimate weapon applies ice debuff just like aquanaut. Bubble bale is probably the best ice-based AOE attack (and it's a large AOE), and essence of suction removes all buffs on an enemy, which is certainly nice against that fucker Amon. That said it only works on humanoid enemies - one particular enemy I wish I could have used it on...

Night Queen: Female Action Star with it's focus on powerful blunt attacks. The ultimate weapon has a chance to KO enemies, which is extremely nice. Against bosses it's limited though.

Tennis Ace: Probably my 2nd favorite female class due to it's versatility. Gun, fire, and lightning abilities at it's disposal. Grand slam is a great AOE attack that is guaranteed to hit (which is nice against those high agility dorks that avoid attacks easily). Cross class bubble bale onto this and you've got everything covered.

Tier class (playing as one, not as cross-classing):

S: Pyrodancer, Geodancer
A: Desperado, Host, Tennis Ace
B: Chef, Action Star, Housekeeper, Aquanaut, Samurai
C: Night Queen, Kunoichi, Linebacker
D: Idol
F: Breaker

Also, as a final thought: I got all the Kiwami sujis, leveled them to max and equipped them on Sujimancer - it's basically a red mage, that yes, it will cover every element, but not very well relative to other classes. And since only Ichiban can play it, he's better off as a melee / ranged DPS, not as a mage. If Nanba / Tomi / Saeko could play it, this class might work alright, but overall it's just better to play something else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I keep saying SUPER CRAZY DELIVERY to myself in the Shaggy voice

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Fuckin loling at this “excavators on the beach” substory.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Second best one in the game after the baby stroller

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Vikar Jerome posted:

Useless daigo, evergreen

There was a theory in YLAD7 that he was the guy in the Kamulop costume asking you to collect Tojo crests but somehow the truth is sadder lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Make her a Poundmate cowards

I like that Kiryu seeing this random zombie poster spurs the "remember that crazy zombie dream I had that one time?" memory. I love that this game embraces the series long history of bizarre poo poo happening

It wasn't until I was getting near the end of Chp12 that it struck me how funny it is that Kiryu's party is three of the most important and influential members of the Japanese underworld...and also two of Ichiban's loser friends

I know the circumstances are dire in IW but you have to think Kiryu is secretly happy to be punching his way through Tojo HQ one last time. There should be a memory you can grab here where he reflects on the first time it happened, when he, Tachibana and Oda did pile drivers on a bunch of random guys 35 years earlier :shobon: