Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

doctorfrog posted:

A friend of mine is that kind of guy who doesn't read books and brags about it

People like this are the same type of people who brag about not recycling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

docbeard posted:

Oh, uh, I know this one. What would your friend say if I asked him which door I should pick?

I would also have accepted "and so, betwixt the two you see, they pick the library shelves clean."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Byzantine posted:

I would much rather the "it's on the way" message not get sent until the package is given to a courier. loving 'label created' horse poo poo.

Yesterday I got the "your package has shipped!" email for my recent Melusine order and the tracking still just says label created. So it's still sitting in a pile at the Vinegar Syndrome building

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Muscle Tracer posted:

Dune is one of those things where the first book is excellent, and pretty much everything beyond that gets worse and worse. I liked the new movie and am looking forward to the sequel but the rest of it seems like a recipe for madness.

Dune Messiah, the second book, is also good. After that it gets weird in a bad way.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

A friend of mine is that kind of guy who doesn't read books and brags about it,

Does he stuff nerds (you) into lockers after he's done bragging?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I legitimately can’t understand people who spend time reading when there’s always new video games to play

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
More like Dune your mom.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jDqFEkNP64

This is both a joke about how people recommend Dune and also a good recommendation for what bits to read.

Personally I think the only wrong number of Dune books to read is 5 or 7+.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've been watching the Australian version of Taskmaster, and it's pretty bad. That got me thinking, I can't think of a single funny Australian. America, England, Scotland, Canada, New Zealand, every other country in the anglosphere has produced tons of funny people. But not Australia. I'm starting to think there's something unique about Australia that retards comedic development.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gripweed posted:

I've been watching the Australian version of Taskmaster, and it's pretty bad. That got me thinking, I can't think of a single funny Australian. America, England, Scotland, Canada, New Zealand, every other country in the anglosphere has produced tons of funny people. But not Australia. I'm starting to think there's something unique about Australia that retards comedic development.

Tim Minchin is Australian. (Yeah, he was born in the UK but didn't grow up there.)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jDqFEkNP64

This is both a joke about how people recommend Dune and also a good recommendation for what bits to read.

Personally I think the only wrong number of Dune books to read is 5 or 7+.

Boy is he ever making the "punch me in the face" face.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Tom Cardy alone among australians is funny

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Kangaroo Jack

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Is the Scooby Dooby toilet australian?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

Is the Scooby Dooby toilet australian?

Do you mean Skibidi Toilet? That's Georgian

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Danger 5 is Australian and it’s comedy gold

doverhog
May 31, 2013

doverhog has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Feb 24, 2024

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You can't be serious about comedy without Yahoo Serious.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gripweed posted:

As an Australian, I feel there's some comedy formats that just don't work well here. Satire and parody seem to work well, but sitcoms don't. Sketch comedy can be hit and miss. I feel Taskmaster is a particularly British thing, and probably wouldn't work in any other country.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Elissimpark posted:

As an Australian, I feel there's some comedy formats that just don't work well here. Satire and parody seem to work well, but sitcoms don't. Sketch comedy can be hit and miss. I feel Taskmaster is a particularly British thing, and probably wouldn't work in any other country.

Sam Campbell won the last one and he's Australian.

Also, Taskmaster NZ series 2 is possibly the best series of any Taskmaster.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Was gonna say Sam Campbell and Danger 5 are both hilarious. I can't name another funny Australian/aussie show, but to be fair, I would also struggle to name more aussies than that except Russel Crowe.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Gripweed posted:

They've got crocodile dundee, and he's still got it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsebsYtyCTs

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I don't know much about the chaser but clips of CNNNN i have seen rule.

also i remember "thank god you're here" being a pretty funny pre-taskmaster type show

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Imagine Dragons are actually a fine band. Like I don't particularly enjoy their music but they obviously do a great job bending genres, creating distinct vibes, and pumping out catchy hooks. Their singer also uses an interesting variety of vocal techniques and the production/mix is always huge and impressive. I'll never listen to their music on purpose but they're good at what they do and probably don't deserve all the hate.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I don't like them, mostly because it's an upper class Mormon singing about how he has darkness and demons inside him and it's just really cringey.

They're fine musically otherwise.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

they're fine their vibe is just white af

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am the furthest thing from its target audience so please let me know if I'm just being stupid, but my gf has been watching a bunch of RuPaul's Drag Race lately and the show's presentation just makes it weird and kind of disquieting. There's no live audience for a performance medium that's usually in front of raucous club crowds? Everything they do is just in front of like three people and the camera will suddenly cut to Ru laughing while his facial expression remains completely still? Sometimes Nancy Pelosi is there? I assumed since she's catching up on old All-Stars that this was a peak pandemic thing but apparently it's just how the show operates. It feels like if American Idol took place entirely in the audition rooms, or if sports were just in empty gyms like the NBA bubble.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Huh. I like and am the target audience for drag race but that's a really good point. At least one of the recurring challenges should obviously be crowd work, I have no idea why it isn't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fagtastic posted:

Huh. I like and am the target audience for drag race but that's a really good point. At least one of the recurring challenges should obviously be crowd work, I have no idea why it isn't.

It’s probably a logistical issue because much of the show really takes place backstage and you realistically couldn’t get enough done in one taping to make it worth an audience’s while. So like I get it but I’m mostly surprised at how popular the show is compared to how weirdly low rent it feels.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Every once in a while they get a live audience in for some of the comedy challenges (like the roast), but yeah it is super odd.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dan Brown books aren’t that bad. They’re easy to read and interesting and fun

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

oldpainless posted:

guards, make this man smoke weed... to death

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

oldpainless posted:

Well, they're at least one of those three... and you'll have to read three more chapters before i tell you which one!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Muscle Tracer posted:

Well, they're at least one of those three... and you'll have to read three more chapters before i tell you which one!

(four and a half pages later) Alright, ready.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They should try honey roasting more things.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I was once stuck in a hospital, in the pre smartphone era, with nothing but a copy of Angels and Demons.

He's hot garbage.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s worse garbage than Dan Brown, but it’s always possible to find worse garbage than something

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I was once stuck in a hospital, in the pre smartphone era, with nothing but a copy of Angels and Demons.

He's hot garbage.

The worst part about that book... hmm... well, it's either that one or Inferno, I can't remember which. I read them out of order. But ONE of the books, he leans so hard into his every-chapter-must-end-on-a-cliffhanger-no-matter-how-forced-and-arbitrary that when a woman is knocked unconscious, he concludes the chapter with "She would wake up. But she would wish she never had." Or some poo poo.

What happens to her when she wakes up? NOTHING. She's rescued, the end. gently caress you, Dan Brown.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

The worst part about that book... hmm... well, it's either that one or Inferno, I can't remember which. I read them out of order. But ONE of the books, he leans so hard into his every-chapter-must-end-on-a-cliffhanger-no-matter-how-forced-and-arbitrary that when a woman is knocked unconscious, he concludes the chapter with "She would wake up. But she would wish she never had." Or some poo poo.

What happens to her when she wakes up? NOTHING. She's rescued, the end. gently caress you, Dan Brown.

Hey, maybe she just longs for death. It was nothing to do with the current situation, that's just how she feels every morning. "gently caress. Didn't die in my sleep again. Guess I'll have breakfast then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

credburn posted:

lmao

you got played