Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Edit: You know what, probably a good place to end the food-poverty discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

speaking of things getting shittier for no good reason, i’m staring at the label of this fancy rear end 32oz bottle of mixed berry syrup that i picked up at grocery outlet for $1.47 and you know what they’re marketing this poo poo as? super fruit syrup. why’s everything gotta be a super fruit these days? it’s just blackberries and raspberries. first ingredient sugar. gonna be real good on this homemade french toast though

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
More people should eat onions

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Nettle Soup posted:

Edit: You know what, probably a good place to end the food-poverty discussion.

I think you're right. new page, new petty complaints

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

ArmedZombie posted:

life hack: don't eat meat

but i like meat

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I went to a grocery store that was out of onions the other day. I never even saw such a thing during the pandemic. Not talking about just one kind of specific onion. No white onions, no yellow onions, no red onions, what the heck?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

what the hell is a super fruit anyway? why does that include apparently every berry in existence?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9spqCzSkQ

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I went to a grocery store that was out of onions the other day. I never even saw such a thing during the pandemic. Not talking about just one kind of specific onion. No white onions, no yellow onions, no red onions, what the heck?

Sorry, I had come by a few hours earlier, they hadn't had the chance to restock yet

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

redgubbinz posted:

Sorry, I had come by a few hours earlier, they hadn't had the chance to restock yet

what are your farts like?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

TrashMammal posted:

what the hell is a super fruit anyway? why does that include apparently every berry in existence?

It's just whatever someone is hawking on their website or youtube. Like a guy has raspberries in his backyard so he starts upselling them and calling them Goku berries.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

super toots

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

redgubbinz posted:

I like to imagine a bunch of stereotypical mafia guys held up the truck and are giving boxes of onions for their neighbors to hold onto "Oh, they just fell off a truck see."

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
My grocery store always has onions but they're way too big, I don't need grapefruit+ sized onions!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

pencilhands posted:

what are your farts like?

We'd have to move this to the PYF Dangerous Chemistry thread for that :nfpa:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Loblaws started selling UNGRADED MEXICAN BEEF a few months ago and despite it being suspiciously inexpensive, people weren’t buying it, so now the labels say UNGRADED BEEF and it’s almost always got a crowd around the spot lol

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

every day i thank God that i was not born in canada

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Turns out onions were why I had terrible IBS. Going low FODMAP for a while and giving them up was the best thing I've ever done for my stomach. Makes cooking a bit more complicated, though.

Also makes it very difficult to eat at restaurants (once a year for my grandmas birthday), because I always want the vegetarian or vegan options, and half the time that's a cheese and onion pie. Once you deduct meat, dairy and onions from your menu options, you're left only with a terrified look from the person behind the counter and then a hesitant offer of plain chips.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The other day my grocery store was slap out of a very common thing and I was confused as to why. I had to run by the store again then next day for something I forgot and I saw the reason. They weren't out they had just moved it from it's usual place to an end cap display for some sort of promotion. At least leave some of it in the usual spot. :argh:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

and really really overcooked pork chops growing up,

The recommended temps to cook pork to changed about a decade ago. Before that in the 70-80s there were more real worries about trichinellosis that basically disappeared in the mid nineties .

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/epi.html#:~:text=Over%20the%20past%2040%20years,risk%20for%20acquiring%20this%20disease.

What happened is that they stopped feeding garbage to pigs in most places basically.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 25, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

My grocery store always has onions but they're way too big, I don't need grapefruit+ sized onions!

Use one half then fry the other half and save the fried ones to snack on

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pencilhands posted:

market basket is my favorite grocery store. i wouldnt shop anywhere else if they opened one in western mass. alas....

I'll let you off with a warning this time

ArmedZombie posted:

You're right, a person who's a hack at life would do that

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

Turns out onions were why I had terrible IBS. Going low FODMAP for a while and giving them up was the best thing I've ever done for my stomach. Makes cooking a bit more complicated, though.

Also makes it very difficult to eat at restaurants (once a year for my grandmas birthday), because I always want the vegetarian or vegan options, and half the time that's a cheese and onion pie. Once you deduct meat, dairy and onions from your menu options, you're left only with a terrified look from the person behind the counter and then a hesitant offer of plain chips.

This is my actual nightmare

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TrashMammal posted:

what the hell is a super fruit anyway?

Mangosteens, they're to die for

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

This is my actual nightmare

I miss onion bhajis.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My sister is allergic to dairy, nuts and legumes, fresh fruits and vegetables (cooked is fine because it breaks down the enzymes she's allergic to or something), shellfish and when her immune system goes down because of illness or stress gluten becomes an issue.

So yeah, she reads a lot of labels, especially after a particularly bad episode of the shits and pukes when the (not fancy, just supermarket) brand of wine she used to drink for some reason suddenly had lactose (or something similar, maybe lactic acid?) in it. So yeah, now she checks the labels of things she buys every time out or habit even if she's been buying them for years, because products change and they don't tell you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ArmedZombie posted:

:hai:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

pencilhands posted:

I used to be a waiter so I always tip heavy :)

I used to always tip heavy but these days food and rent and everything are so expensive that a heavy tip is like $10 on top of a $20+ meal and that's why I cook for myself now

Nettle Soup posted:

For what it's worth I was having this same problem where FODMAP stuff like onions and many beans were causing real bad IBS for me. Then I got some bloodwork done and found out my folate levels were real low and my doctor put me on Folate and L-Methylfolate supplements and it cured my IBS and I can eat onions and beans again. Still can't do much dairy tho :( But I can do a pizza here and there without getting the gassy shits

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 25, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That's pretty neat. I am on a mega-dose of folic acid right now, and it's been pretty stable lately, but it was such a massive change that I've had a sort of food-poisoning effect with them, and now even the smell of frying onions makes me feel sick. I can just about cope with leeks, but not always.

Also, they used to make me sweat the onion smell and that was disgusting.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

oh hey, here's something that's getting shittier: my digestive tract. I get gut pains when I eat onions or garlic now and am on a horrible low fodmap diet. I pretty much threw out my entire cooking repertoire a year and a half ago, started a new binder with modified recipes I can tolerate.

er, I mean, how dare you suggest I eat something without considering my highly specific personal circumstance, you fiend!

dang I miss onions

and eating out

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 25, 2024

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Onions give me heartburn

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9spqCzSkQ

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

doctorfrog posted:

oh hey, here's something that's getting shittier: my digestive tract. I get gut pains when I eat onions or garlic now and am on a horrible low fodmap diet. I pretty much threw out my entire cooking repertoire a year and a half ago, started a new binder with modified recipes I can tolerate.

er, I mean, how dare you suggest I eat something without considering my highly specific personal circumstance, you fiend!

dang I miss onions

and eating out

Husband is allergic to alliums and fody foods has been a bit of a god send. We make almost everything from scratch. Saves a ton of money but their spicy arriabata makes a great pizza sauce base and for pasta i use it with a lot of mushrooms and peppers and whatever other vegs i have around.

Its honestly become a bit of a fun challenge for me to work around. Adept with a lot more spices.

Its made me realize how one note the meals are where people just cram a fuckload of garlic into things.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

silicone thrills posted:

Its made me realize how one note the meals are where people just cram a fuckload of garlic into things.

One delicious note

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

silicone thrills posted:

Husband is allergic to alliums and fody foods has been a bit of a god send. We make almost everything from scratch. Saves a ton of money but their spicy arriabata makes a great pizza sauce base and for pasta i use it with a lot of mushrooms and peppers and whatever other vegs i have around.

Its honestly become a bit of a fun challenge for me to work around. Adept with a lot more spices.

:( I miss my one-note meals. My god, the onion and garlic slaughter that would go into things.

But I don't mind learning to cook new things. It's a hassle, but what am I going to do, buy pricy low FODMAP poo poo at Whole Foods the rest of my life? Hell no

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ram dass in hell posted:

an impossible burger at a restaurant here is $19 plus tax and tip bro lol it's not close at all and suburboids addicted to fast casual restaurant culture has only existed since the 70s, it is not human nature nor is it the default order of things

So it's been the default order of things for two generations
?

Sorry didn't see the update on food talk

So Google still sucks balls

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Instant lottery tickets: A $1 scratcher used to have 5 or 6 spots to scratch off, now they're down to 4. I know it doesn't matter all that much because you can just scratch off a single spot and scan it to see if you won anything, but it's just something of a strange reduction.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Taeke posted:

My sister is allergic to dairy, nuts and legumes, fresh fruits and vegetables (cooked is fine because it breaks down the enzymes she's allergic to or something), shellfish and when her immune system goes down because of illness or stress gluten becomes an issue.

So yeah, she reads a lot of labels, especially after a particularly bad episode of the shits and pukes when the (not fancy, just supermarket) brand of wine she used to drink for some reason suddenly had lactose (or something similar, maybe lactic acid?) in it. So yeah, now she checks the labels of things she buys every time out or habit even if she's been buying them for years, because products change and they don't tell you.

Yeah this has gotten particularly bad lately as companies scramble to make ¡ NUMBER GO UP ! by attempting to subtly gently caress with recipes.

I've stopped buying a number of things, like "Gentlemen's Cut" meat snacks because they retooled the recipes so hard that they taste like poo poo now, probably thanks to adding a bunch of carbs to what's supposed to be a meat product. They also reduced the portion sizes and the total amount/weight of the package.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 26, 2024

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've basically shopped by weight for years since I'm used to bouncing between a couple different stores that have different sizes of the same staples. That's helped protect me from surprise shrinkflation, but it leads to getting more and more disappointed every trip as things constantly creep upward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

deep dish peat moss posted:

I got some bloodwork done

I tried to get some bloodwork done. I have "good insurance." The people putting my info into the system hosed it up I guess and the lab sent me a bill instead of results. I filled out the "corrected insurance information" form weeks ago. I doubt I'll get results ever.