Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I got more hot takes brewing in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ubuntu is a decent desktop OS but not my first choice for a server

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the only perl I ever wrote was a logwatch module and I still don’t understand what I wrote

(that’s a lie - I understand it but it looks so bad that I’m embarrassed to look at it)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ok, I admit that my takes are kinda mid

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Claiming that anime is good despite all the evidence to the contrary is a pretty wild take tbh.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Antigravitas posted:

Claiming that anime is good despite all the evidence to the contrary is a pretty wild take tbh.

anime sometimes reduces the number of people posting in yospos, so it’s not all bad

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
my kids love ponyo hth

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

chromebook os is linux

:goonsay:

yeah it is, and honestly it wasn't a terrible one

...for a while

but they now disallow using sudo or su, so you can't install other distros into a container anymore. that means you're limited to the actual value proposition of chrome os: i.e. a chrome window and not much else, although they're kinda trying to expand it i guess

like, it does have some vm features, but capabilities varied with different releases of chros (and when one implementation replaced another, of course they weren't compatible. they did this 3 times iirc). in its latest incarnation it was ostensibly to allow "regular" linux apps to run in a setup not really all that dissimilar to WSL, but the last time i tried it it was slower than taking a poo poo at the north pole. like, the virgl implementation cut the framerate to about 40% of native and you couldn't set a global theme for gtk or plasma or whatever because each vm is individually containerized, and for some reason it'd peg the cpu to about 10% even while idle

of course the best way around this was to just use a real distro in a container (on a different VT; this setup is known as "crouton") or build of qemu from chromebrew or compiled from source or whatever, but they basically made that impossible now

so i don't use chrome os anymore. my wife doesn't either on hers (an asus c302, it's a nice ultraportable too once you get rid of chros)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

hurr all cartoons from japan are unilaterally bad. gently caress you japan!

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mycophobia posted:

hurr all cartoons from japan are unilaterally bad. gently caress you japan!

you can dislike a storytelling medium (or really just its insufferable fans) without being a racist hth

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
wrong

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
and i was implying he's being xenophobic, not racist. but sure why not

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's ok to like things or not like things

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
germans hate anime because they all have the hateful strain of lutherism in their hearts

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
unlike the french and italians who love anime

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

euroshopper posted:

unlike the french and italians who love anime

The French and Italians are nothing alike you take that back. :colbert:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

euroshopper posted:

germans hate anime because they all have the hateful strain of lutherism in their hearts

this is a bold faced lie, the train station i used to commute out of had manga and uncensored hentai on the shelves

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

germans are a bunch of freaks of course they're into anime

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah it is, and honestly it wasn't a terrible one

...for a while

but they now disallow using sudo or su, so you can't install other distros into a container anymore. that means you're limited to the actual value proposition of chrome os: i.e. a chrome window and not much else, although they're kinda trying to expand it i guess

like, it does have some vm features, but capabilities varied with different releases of chros (and when one implementation replaced another, of course they weren't compatible. they did this 3 times iirc). in its latest incarnation it was ostensibly to allow "regular" linux apps to run in a setup not really all that dissimilar to WSL, but the last time i tried it it was slower than taking a poo poo at the north pole. like, the virgl implementation cut the framerate to about 40% of native and you couldn't set a global theme for gtk or plasma or whatever because each vm is individually containerized, and for some reason it'd peg the cpu to about 10% even while idle

of course the best way around this was to just use a real distro in a container (on a different VT; this setup is known as "crouton") or build of qemu from chromebrew or compiled from source or whatever, but they basically made that impossible now

so i don't use chrome os anymore. my wife doesn't either on hers (an asus c302, it's a nice ultraportable too once you get rid of chros)

that sounds like a userspace issue

pretty sure they’re using a GNU userland

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:goonsay:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

but really, I hope legislation comes out that forces google to allow people to install custom userland to keep electronics out of landfills as long as feasibly possible

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

probably doesn’t help that the bulk of modern content sites (news, wiki that isn’t wikipedia, etc) insist on autoplaying videos and doing all kinds of nightmare css and js that would bring any system older that 10 years to its knees if it doesn’t exhaust the RAM first

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

that sounds like a userspace issue

pretty sure they’re using a GNU userland

ehh, it is and it isn't (both a GNU userland and a userspace issue, inasmuch as e.g. not having root on android/ios is anyway). i didn't look into it much because after whatever update set those restrictions i just decided to dump chros, but afaik there's no way to get around it setting nosuid or otherwise getting root short of an exploit or flashing your own chromium os image with those protections disabled. but unless you have a valid, extremely compelling reason to be compiling your own goddamn chromium os, i think it's easier to just flash coreboot and install a real distro (or windows, but that's more difficult to get working properly)

re: it having a GNU userland, yeah, it mostly is (which is good, it practically ensures hardware compatibility when you put some other distro on there), but there's a few proprietary bits that make linking against a normal glibc et. al. kinda tricky (but not impossible). like, if you had debian in a crouton container with all versions and poo poo being equal, and then copied over a binary to chros, it likely wouldn't execute unless it had literally no dependencies. sometimes you'd be able to set some LD_* bullshit to fix it but that didn't work more often than it actually did

there are chros-specific gcc/clang (and chromebrew, with a pretty decent selection of ports tbh), but you also can't modify the filesystem beyond some specific folders within your home directory now, which show up as like 15 different partitions. it's been probably half a year since i last used it so idr if they went as far as making them noexec too, but it wouldn't surprise me

kind of a shame i guess, i liked being able to just switch VTs to do real computer stuff and then back to watch movies or whatever, but after getting everything working fine under clear i don't miss it

e: everything except that drat fingerprint reader, anyway. but i don't remember it working under chros either lol

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 24, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
whoever came up with this netplan bullshit deserves the rack

not the kind that you mount servers in. the kind where you strap their wrists and ankles to blocks and spread them apart as a slow methodical execution device

what a stupid loving way to configure network interfaces on a server

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
if we're resorting to medieval violence then an arrow through the eye best suits page 1066 imo

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

gabensraum posted:

my kids love ponyo hth

Good. It's a good film. I love the song in the opening credits

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
netplan vs
networkmanager vs
wicked vs
systemd-networkd vs
ifcfg-ethX

netplan is yaml based so thats trash, but the support for drop in files to add and stack and order config is kinda neat i guess

networkmanager is a vastly overengineered and overoptioned tool. it only got tolerable when i stopped trying to use the cli to do anything and just started writing files to /etc/networkmanager/systemconfig or whatever that path is. why does network manager insist on starting interfaces and dhcping for config if it sees link ? stop it i didnt ask you to do that so that stop helping goddammit.

wicked is generally ignorable once you configure it. thats a positively glowing endorsement in this space

i have not had to futz with systemd-networkd and shall only guess that it is probably terrible.

ifcfg-ethX files: does what it says on the box. not great for automagically reacting when link goes away on eth0 but comes back on wifi0 and keeping you connected to some network any network all

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
UCI is surprisingly decent on openwrt. they'd probably use something else if it'd existed in a small enough footprint like 20 years ago when they were just starting out, but i'm kinda glad they didn't and haven't switched

i'd guess you could get it running on a "real" system too but idk i've never tried

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
yea i feel like embedded systems have an unfair advantage because they can make all the assumptions they want regarding hardware and use cases

its an appliance - it does not have to even pretend to try to be everything for everyone

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Systemd-networkd is good if you're making a server or an embedded system with well-defined networking constraints. It's pretty good for the model of "set up a config file once" and pretty trash for the model of "changing settings frequently".

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
systemd-resolved can eat a dick though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fresh_cheese posted:

yea i feel like embedded systems have an unfair advantage because they can make all the assumptions they want regarding hardware and use cases

its an appliance - it does not have to even pretend to try to be everything for everyone

yeah. weird thing is, openwrt is more of a "real" distro than it isn't, and runs across a pretty impressive array of very different platforms

like, the first time i tried it was around 2008-9 or so. i had picked up an extremely ($30>) cheap router that had good specs on paper, but the firmware was absolute garbage

dd-wrt and the like weren't stable on it either, so i compiled my own openwrt. i was extremely surprised to find that instead of limiting you to whatever comes in the image, it let you use unused portions of the flash for an overlayfs and allowed you to install packages and whatnot without any external storage, which wasn't really a thing in consumer routers back then, especially at the low end (remember, before that, bit-banging a SD card extremely slowly over GPIO/SPI on a WRT54G was considered the best you could do). plus it was actually stable, i used that thing until 802.11n became obsolete

e: it also tries to keep the kernel version current, which is pretty rare with embedded consumer routers afaict. most of them are still stuck on 2.x ffs

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 25, 2024

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

systemd is truly a land of contrasts

mystes
May 31, 2006

Openwrt is really pretty decent. I haven't used it in a little while but I feel like it does a pretty good job of keeping the basic stuff simple while allowing you to do more advanced stuff as necessary.

I also like that it has a gui but you don't have to install it if you don't want rather than being some obnoxious opinionated thing where you either have to have or not have a gui.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

isn't netplan a frontend for all the others?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

Openwrt is really pretty decent. I haven't used it in a little while but I feel like it does a pretty good job of keeping the basic stuff simple while allowing you to do more advanced stuff as necessary.

I also like that it has a gui but you don't have to install it if you don't want rather than being some obnoxious opinionated thing where you either have to have or not have a gui.

i've been putting it off for at least a month by now, but yeah i'm gonna throw it on my asus RT-AC88U whenever i get around to compiling it (my main motivation for doing so became a lot less urgent once i found a suitable workaround)

i mean, i know there's stock images and poo poo, and that you can fully customize that eventually, but tbh i'd rather do that beforehand and just flash an image that does what i want

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i just use a ubiquiti ap, op

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

i just use a ubiquiti ap, op
sometimes i ssh into my dreamrouter just to feel like a pro hacker

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

i've been slowly converting the overcomplicated /etc/network/interfaces files on my servers and desktops to systemd-networkd and it is pretty needs suiting i guess. it even has built-in support for routing policy rules for which i'd normally resort to writing a bunch of manual /bin/ip invocations. in general i like the systemd approach of developing specific declarative syntax for functionality exposed by the kernel's userspace API

on laptops i just use NetworkManager and drive it with nmtui

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

shackleford posted:

on laptops i just use NetworkManager and drive it with nmtui

this is, somehow, the way