Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Revins posted:

the slide feels awkward to pull off at first but man its a good move. Its range catches people off guard and you can follow it up with a 2 out of snake step (which he goes into after landing the slide) and then do uf+1,d into another slide (you have to do the df,d,df movement like right when his feet are about to touch the ground). Then repeat a second time. I haven't figured out how much damage the whole thing does but the second slide feels guaranteed if you're quick with it. idk if it actually is though

Hey holy poo poo another shaheen main lol

Your impressions are generally good, but there's a bunch of stuff that you're gonna find out stops working pretty soon. Slide is absolutely not guaranteed after an uf1 cancel, it only seems that way because it's incredibly hard for the opponent to see what's going on unless they're familiar with the move. The further up the ranks you get the less you can rely on slide in general because it's a launch into a full combo on block if they know the pickup. The main use of the slide at that point is as a threat. Your opponent knows you have it, so in slide range you go into full crouch and see what they do. If they duck, either hopkick em if you're in range, df2 or uf1 if you're not. If they don't, either slide them if you're positive they won't block it or df41 to fish for a counterhit combo if they don't block the mid. If they charge at you just stand block, make some space and do it again. Or slide them, gently caress it they're not blocking!

You can get yourself into high red ranks doing nothing but abusing the slide mixup because nobody blocks lows until that point, but it's better to get cautious with it early so you don't learn bad habits. He has the best FC mixup in the game imo, there are few things scarier in tekken than shaheen crouch wiggling at you from half screen.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

unattended spaghetti posted:

Man newbies don't block low and press buttons all the time it is basically a God move at lower ranks.

Glad you're enjoying Tekken again! :)

Yeah new players still try to play Tekken like SF or a 2d fighter sometimes, and they don't realize you have way more movement and spacing options and responses, and the power of a low stuffing spam jabs or fast buttons.

Who are you playing now?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Glad you're enjoying Tekken again! :)

Yeah new players still try to play Tekken like SF or a 2d fighter sometimes, and they don't realize you have way more movement and spacing options and responses, and the power of a low stuffing spam jabs or fast buttons.

Who are you playing now?

Still Feng. Yeah I just had a rare moment of salt cause of the aforementioned constant button pressing from opponents and getting used to the Tekken paradigm. All good now I probs win as much as I lose though still not outta yellow cause Balatro came out. Heh.

How’s your Tekken journey?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

unattended spaghetti posted:

Still Feng. Yeah I just had a rare moment of salt cause of the aforementioned constant button pressing from opponents and getting used to the Tekken paradigm. All good now I probs win as much as I lose though still not outta yellow cause Balatro came out. Heh.

How’s your Tekken journey?

Getting time where I can to play with the Spring semester at my job, dabbling with Leroy atm, maybe might try Raven or Reina or Kuma at sons point.

Jack is my boy though

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 24, 2024

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I made someone ragequit today but I'm not even mad at them. They were about to get triple perfected by my ignorant King and were six ranks above me.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

My main in T7 was Lei but I played a bit of Shaheen too, and now he's my T8 dude. Just assume every Shaheen you meet is a goon lol. They gave him some sauce, still dry as the desert but at least we got some cool guard break setups.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I'm still a Kuma main but I wanted someone safer to play on the side

So I was practicing throw breaks and want to confirm something: you can tech basic 1+3 and 2+4 throws with 1 or 2 right? That seems to be the case but idk. The uf1+2 throws most characters have need 1+2 for the break. Command throws are where 1 or 2 matters in 8 it seems like

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Revins posted:

So I was practicing throw breaks and want to confirm something: you can tech basic 1+3 and 2+4 throws with 1 or 2 right? That seems to be the case but idk. The uf1+2 throws most characters have need 1+2 for the break. Command throws are where 1 or 2 matters in 8 it seems like

Yeah, generic throws can be broken with either 1 or 2 but if you're practicing breaks might as well try to do them "right" for when it matters. Any weird looking throw I try 1+2 to see if it works first, if i can even react to it in time lol. Most of my "throw breaks" are me accidentally getting them because I was mashing an attack lol

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, generic throws can be broken with either 1 or 2 but if you're practicing breaks might as well try to do them "right" for when it matters. Any weird looking throw I try 1+2 to see if it works first, if i can even react to it in time lol. Most of my "throw breaks" are me accidentally getting them because I was mashing an attack lol
Which is why special breaks (and arguably 2 breaks) are intrinsically better - If they're bad, they're probably mashing 1.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why is breaking 2 better than 1? Or is this like a "There are more 2break specific throws than 1 thing so might as well practice that"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Artelier posted:

Why is breaking 2 better than 1? Or is this like a "There are more 2break specific throws than 1 thing so might as well practice that"

It isn't, it's just that most people mash 1 in early ranks.

Learning to see throws is hard but important. Here's how to lab it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUUbuzuelA

I'm god drat terrible at it but I'm slowly starting to see the matrix.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Artelier posted:

Often throws come in situations like after a blocked jab. Many people's responses to that would be to jab back, so if the timing is right, if you throw them, their 1 input would turn into an attempt to break the throw with 1. If you use a 2-break throw, this means mashers will always eat the throw

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Excuse me, but I don't need people working out that Jun 122, 1+3 is an easy break, thank you very much.

(They're all blocking high for the 3, and planning on reacting to the slow low 4)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Made it to... I think Destroyer rank before I called it a night. Still climbing but bumping into Garyu and Shinryu players is a hell of a wake up call, and it's nice to see strategies evolving - for example I was commonly following up a heat engager (usually Kuma's b+1) with his uf+1+2 throw and this worked like a charm, but now people in eliminator and the 'ryus are ducking as standard during a heat engager run so now I need to find a good mid to use when I run into this again. Can't wait to get back in the lab and then take it on online tomorrow. I loving love Tekken. :)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
if they're ducking just launch 'em

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

if they're ducking just launch 'em

I've tried to not play "scrubby" cause I believe it forms bad habits but.... I'm used to eddys normal launcher for t7, and fengs is stupid good, goes over lows and is only -13 on block so i've been chucking it out a lot more at random and after stuff like heat engagers etc whereas with eddy I just used it to punish.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weird Pumpkin posted:

God I'm so bad at tekken :negative:

Tekken loving sucks except when im crushing it

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I still quite enjoy slowly chopping away the opponent with Jack db1.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

poe meater posted:

I still quite enjoy slowly chopping away the opponent with Jack db1.

His new stance into Haymaker is loving insanely good

You can armor through a character's bullshit and surprise then with a punch that will most likely wallsplat them

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Tekken loving sucks except when im crushing it

:hmmyes:

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Something very satisfying about getting stomped in the first round by a higher rank player, bringing it back in the second and them refusing to play a third. Sorry about your 10-win streak pal.

Levin fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 25, 2024

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have no idea what to do against Reina as a Dragunov. It doesn't help that I'm running into people doing perfect EWGFs at yellow rank and are breaking every single grab. Running f+2 works OK if they get annoyed by it but I ran into 3 different Reinas in a row that really seemed like they did not belong at the rank they were at, probably just me being tilted tho. Otherwise Dragunov seems great, super punishing especially if he can get a wall splat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Levin posted:

Something very satisfying about getting stomped in the first round by a higher rank player, bringing it back in the second and them refusing to play a third. Sorry about your 10-win streak pal.

Its illegal to not best of 3
You are on the list
Harada is suiting up in the van outside

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Tekken is the first game I've gotten the run back and dipped lol. I'll get on that list without shame.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

fuuuuck I suck at this game

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Mr E posted:

I have no idea what to do against Reina as a Dragunov. It doesn't help that I'm running into people doing perfect EWGFs at yellow rank and are breaking every single grab. Running f+2 works OK if they get annoyed by it but I ran into 3 different Reinas in a row that really seemed like they did not belong at the rank they were at, probably just me being tilted tho. Otherwise Dragunov seems great, super punishing especially if he can get a wall splat.

Not Reina specific but do more d2. Tap up after landing a d2 to loop into another d2.

b4,2 / b4,2,1 is a good string to apply pressure. Finish the string if they're pressing after b4,2. b1+2 has huge plus frames once you got them scared. Should be enough to push through.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Jeremor posted:

Me too dude! I'm gonna post some replays soon because it feels like I'm crumbling under pressure to the point where I can't even begin to get better/learn what to do. It's just flailing on my end and one-sided dismantling from my opponent. Sometimes I can almost take a round though, so the light in the mist is there.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

poe meater posted:

Not Reina specific but do more d2. Tap up after landing a d2 to loop into another d2.

b4,2 / b4,2,1 is a good string to apply pressure. Finish the string if they're pressing after b4,2. b1+2 has huge plus frames once you got them scared. Should be enough to push through.

I've been doing some d2 but tapping up is a good tip, will definitely be trying more b4,2 as well. B1+2 has been really helpful already and I think I need to just sit in training for a while and practice breaking grabs and what to do if an attack is blocked or grab is broken, I've been playing King a bunch so I'm used to just being able to throw string without too much trouble.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Jeremor posted:

Yeah me too I'm a million levels deep in the salt mines and for the sake of people not wanting to read salt I'm going to spoiler it and just scroll by.

I'm 70+ hours in and it's not helpful in a game with a 30+ cast with a move list of 100+ moves each to just be told "hey you can duck that one move" in replay. It's far too specific unless you're analysing one match-up you're having trouble with. What would be more useful is a replay analysis; "you only blocked X amount of lows in that match - try practicing your low block and low parry." Or "You used a lot of moves that were punishable - try using more moves that recover faster or push your opponent away when blocked."

There's such a loving gap between destroyer/eliminator and the -ryu ranks in terms of play that it's a genuine wall. It's gotten to the point where I feel the only moves I can dare to throw out are just one hit safe on block, and maybe a power crush when a loving Reina or Leo or Lili or Dragunov isn't dancing on my face with their bullshit.

I guess the earlier complaint about move lists is irrelevant since I'm not even allowed to have a safe launcher or heaven forbid a string that allows me to launch from a low. Nothing that deals damage is safe, and nothing safe can net any sort of damage. Throw teching feels loving mystifying because half the cast insist on having their arms obscured by trenchcoats or billowy cosmetics. What looks like a low is a mid and vice versa. All this makes it extremely unclear when it is okay for you to take your turn and I end up just not pressing buttons until I inevitably misread a mid for a low, get comboed and bam, dead after two misreads.

I've never been so apoplectically angry at a fighting game that I actually got light-headed and felt I was going to faint Hungrybox style, but congrats Tekken 8 you did it. This game is opaque as gently caress and insurmountable in learning compared to how SF6 was. It's so frustrating and demoralising, and due to factors like not really having any IRL friends or online friends who play Tekken and no scene close by, I have nobody to learn and grow with so it's a lonely as hell experience too. :(

In conclusion Tekken 8 is a fun game that makes me insanely angry because I am trash at it but I can't stop playing.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

come on over to the Goonsgarden discord bro, we can be trash together.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Jeremor posted:

come on over to the Goonsgarden discord bro, we can be trash together.

I'm already there as DrBrown87. If you look now you can see me having a meltdown about how bad a Kuma player I am! :buddy:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah me too I'm a million levels deep in the salt mines and for the sake of people not wanting to read salt I'm going to spoiler it and just scroll by.

There used to be no replays no ghosts no tutorials no nothing. Honestly, when you hit a hard wall taking a week to just play quick play will be good for your salt levels and for learning. It's 0 stakes and a good place to try out more of your movelist. I was feeling a tad stuck in shinryu so I'm doing quick play for a few days, especially since I can identify things I'm actively loving up (for instance not being able to convert his ws3 launch in a match) I'm leaving a lot of guaranteed damage on the table across the board so I'll tighten that up. I find giving yourself objectives is good too. For instance, trying to land fengs 13 frame shoulder punish as much as possible, or when in heat not use his 3+4 move which is a bit of a crutch and work on chipping and using the heat ender. Stuff like that.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Seltzer posted:

There used to be no replays no ghosts no tutorials no nothing. Honestly, when you hit a hard wall taking a week to just play quick play will be good for your salt levels and for learning. It's 0 stakes and a good place to try out more of your movelist. I was feeling a tad stuck in shinryu so I'm doing quick play for a few days, especially since I can identify things I'm actively loving up (for instance not being able to convert his ws3 launch in a match) I'm leaving a lot of guaranteed damage on the table across the board so I'll tighten that up. I find giving yourself objectives is good too. For instance, trying to land fengs 13 frame shoulder punish as much as possible, or when in heat not use his 3+4 move which is a bit of a crutch and work on chipping and using the heat ender. Stuff like that.

I was going to say this because I'm in the exact same place. Once I got to destroyer and started bumping up against red ranks some of them were the same kind of players as in orange but most of the time its someone clearly a lot more experienced than I am who will wipe the floor with me if I don't play careful and I was getting demoralized. so yeah I have just been hitting quickplay and trying to focus on the things I'm weak at instead of trying to win.

the main things I do need to work on (and these are very common things I assume and if you're hitting a wall these are probably things you should be looking at in your own play) are
#1 most important is just being more patient if I start getting overwhelmed and trying to keep my guard up until they whiff or overcommit to a string which I block and punish because most string enders are generally unsafe. In general I try to interrupt strings to much and its a habit I need to get gone
#2 Not overcommitting to strings and getting better to reacting to if they block the safe first hit or two of a string or if those land so I can do the followups
#3 I rely on wr attacks to gapclose too much, I need to get better at just stepping in and learning the proper spacing for either staying just out of easy reach for them waiting to punish a whiff or finding a time to get in with a dash jab to break their flow and take my turn back
#4 throw breaks, I'm trying not to stress on this too hard because consistently breaking throws is really loving hard and that's just something that is going to take time and I can't let the fact that I'm bad it now frustrate me
#5 Victor just like, in general. I've seen and fought against victors enough that I should have an idea of what I can look to punish but I just can't read this dudes moves. the teleports and flashy stuff just shut down my brain and I can't deal with him and I loving hate victor. it was the same with noctis in 7, him massively expanding his reach by insta-summoning ghost weapons just trips my brain up

in regards to feeling stuck only being able to do safe things and frustrated, that's just how tekken is once you get to a certain skill level and part of improving is accepting that you can't throw around the big fun moves as much as you want. If you're getting overwhelmed you need to focus more on what they are doing and looking for an opening to just get in a quick poke to break their momentum instead of trying to think of what big dick move in your arsenal you can try to try and catch them off guard or something.

idk I'm kind of rambling but point is these are the parts I'm struggling with and maybe reading this will be helpful to someone

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

on the subject of overcommitting to strings: if you're playing Kuma you need to stop mashing that 1 button. yeah I see you. if that second swing is blocked you're at like -16 or something and the third one is even worse for you. Don't hit 1 again if you're not pretty drat certain the followups are going to connect or else you're probably getting launched. 2,1 is a lot safe to poke with and its got that low ender you can toss in to get them blocking low so you can hopefully get them to duck into a df2,1

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I’m glad I’m not the only one who threw out an apaplectic saltpost now. :)

Been away from the game, and I hope that’ll improve my poo poo when I come back. But if you’re mad and you’re not poking with lows, dick jabbing, using your 1,2 or equivalent short jab string, and trying to throw at every conceivable opportunity, do those things. All of them helped me a whoooooole lot, and I have the same challenges as above.

Jabs and df1 and throws can make people afraid to push buttons which can buy you time. Poking with lows on someone who doesn’t block them will eventually lead to them going gorilla on you out of fear of getting chipped to death even if it isn’t real. Nobody likes their toes poked it feels bad to take damage and not be able to offer any kind of reprisal. Throws, well, you know, I only break one in ten, so the people I’m playing are likely to be just as bad at it.

They want to unload a whole pile of unsafe strings that are hard to interrupt, stop them doing that by shutting down their pressure with jabs. Vary your timings and enders, etc etc to keep them guessing. Create enough doubt that they’ll hesitate.

Obviously this doesn’t work on the absolutely most unga of players, but I personally feel I’d probably have lost to them anyway because of my lack of knowledge. I only bother learning punishes for the most common strings. I feel like the replay system is great, but can be something of a trap for we newer players because you can get lost in minutia when what you really need are fundamentals.

e: One other thing. start a round with an incomplete safe string like 1,2 or some equivalent and immediately backdash out. Just doing that has done wonders for my ability to observe someone’s gameplan or the lack of it. For extra layers, dick jab back dash, back dash low poke, empty back dash, and your fastest heat engager are all good starts. Pick your start based on the person your playing. There’s no heuristic, I don’t think.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 26, 2024

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
A lot of Tekken is getting familiar with all the characters main strings. I’ve found a lot of success just learning my 10, 12, 15 frame punishes and going into ranked matches just practicing those against my opponent’s pressure. Then, whenever I encounter stuff I can’t figure out I hit the replay, analyze and try to remember.

However, I find that to be a lot of fun. I’ll leave out the part where I’m messaging my buddies about how Jin is for tryhards, Jun is OP, etc. when I lose

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Revins posted:

#4 throw breaks, I'm trying not to stress on this too hard because consistently breaking throws is really loving hard and that's just something that is going to take time and I can't let the fact that I'm bad it now frustrate me

This really feels like an unavoidable mechanical hurdle that any good players have to clear if you're going to rank up, we were sharing stats screens on a discord and all the great players had a full 25 S+ points in their Escape Artist stat and I had a frigging C lol

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Funny thing is, as a Jun main, (In every game she's been in) this incarnation is weirdly... honest?

Her damage feels high, but she's not pulling off anything really fraudulent - There's little ambiguous or oppressive poo poo, she just plays 'honest' Tekken, and happens to hit very loving hard for it.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I still suck at throw breaks but I have a secret - almost everyone checks my throw tech with a 1+2 grab so I'm just instinctively breaking with that, then they probably figure "oh I guess this guy can break throws" and they never try again. In the off chance they test me with a 1 break grab god help me, I'm getting thrown for the rest of the match. In Tekken 7 my philosophy was gently caress that I ain't doing practice, but now I'm doing throw break exercises and it's made a bit of difference. Still a long way to go, and I'm surprised how many people are so good at throw breaking when the animations are so subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

DeadButDelicious posted:

I'm 70+ hours in and it's not helpful in a game with a 30+ cast with a move list of 100+ moves each to just be told "hey you can duck that one move" in replay. It's far too specific unless you're analysing one match-up you're having trouble with. What would be more useful is a replay analysis; "you only blocked X amount of lows in that match - try practicing your low block and low parry." Or "You used a lot of moves that were punishable - try using more moves that recover faster or push your opponent away when blocked."

There's such a loving gap between destroyer/eliminator and the -ryu ranks in terms of play that it's a genuine wall. It's gotten to the point where I feel the only moves I can dare to throw out are just one hit safe on block, and maybe a power crush when a loving Reina or Leo or Lili or Dragunov isn't dancing on my face with their bullshit.

I guess the earlier complaint about move lists is irrelevant since I'm not even allowed to have a safe launcher or heaven forbid a string that allows me to launch from a low. Nothing that deals damage is safe, and nothing safe can net any sort of damage. Throw teching feels loving mystifying because half the cast insist on having their arms obscured by trenchcoats or billowy cosmetics. What looks like a low is a mid and vice versa. All this makes it extremely unclear when it is okay for you to take your turn and I end up just not pressing buttons until I inevitably misread a mid for a low, get comboed and bam, dead after two misreads.

I've never been so apoplectically angry at a fighting game that I actually got light-headed and felt I was going to faint Hungrybox style, but congrats Tekken 8 you did it. This game is opaque as gently caress and insurmountable in learning compared to how SF6 was. It's so frustrating and demoralising, and due to factors like not really having any IRL friends or online friends who play Tekken and no scene close by, I have nobody to learn and grow with so it's a lonely as hell experience too. :(

In conclusion Tekken 8 is a fun game that makes me insanely angry because I am trash at it but I can't stop playing.

i realize you are salty but you really shouldn't be playing one of the bears if these are your complaints. pick a character that addresses some of these issues and that you can play in a safer style