Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah I gotta admit I'm kind of in favor of that. Just give me a billion thumbnails for other stuff to click on, and shuffle the idiots arguing about memes and calling each other slurs somewhere far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I mean, the mobile/tablet youtube apps has the suggested videos front and center, with comments requiring interactions to see them. It seems natural they get web in line with ux standards across the range. Comments nowadays are mostly repeating a quote in the video, racist screeching or lovely memes so removing them altogether would be fine too.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
They've done something to the comment weighting algorithm in the last few years, youtube comments are usually quite positive these days. It used to be just a total toxic cesspit down there, these days it's bland but mostly inoffensive. Sometimes this has weird results, like any military march for example will have a bunch of authoritarian-smelling nostalgia down there. But it's not negative!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

They've done something to the comment weighting algorithm in the last few years, youtube comments are usually quite positive these days. It used to be just a total toxic cesspit down there, these days it's bland but mostly inoffensive. Sometimes this has weird results, like any military march for example will have a bunch of authoritarian-smelling nostalgia down there. But it's not negative!

Yeah, and on retro tech videos in particular the comments are often very useful with people swapping repair tips or talking about their experiences with the technology in question. YouTube comments definitely have a reputation for a reason, but losing the ability to comment on videos in general would be a big loss.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I like the comments because people tend to highlight notable timestamps in the videos I watch at least. Generally speaking I haven't seen too much negativity or toxicity in Youtube comments, and if it's there, it's usually one person being a shithead and literally everyone else dogpiling them to gently caress off.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

if that new layout is indeed what they're going for I think it's going to be a positive. One of the things I hate about the current youtube layout is how if you want to read the comments while the video is playing you have to scroll past the video. If the comments are moved to the side and can be scrolled independent of the rest of the page it'll solve that complaint.

In re comments in general, once your videos escape the target audience field and start popping up in "normie" feeds, the comments take a huge dip in quality and tone. Shorts exit the target audience field immediately and get fed to the biggest mouth breathers on the site, and the comments are Bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HKR posted:

if that new layout is indeed what they're going for I think it's going to be a positive. One of the things I hate about the current youtube layout is how if you want to read the comments while the video is playing you have to scroll past the video. If the comments are moved to the side and can be scrolled independent of the rest of the page it'll solve that complaint.

In re comments in general, once your videos escape the target audience field and start popping up in "normie" feeds, the comments take a huge dip in quality and tone. Shorts exit the target audience field immediately and get fed to the biggest mouth breathers on the site, and the comments are Bad.

I'm not exactly sure how the various pieces of software (it's the iOS app, but that can mean a "desktop" layout) work, but yeah on my iPad Pro 12.9" (not bragging, providing the size so there's an idea of screen size) the comments come up along side the video and it's really nice to see them both at the same time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the comments on math videos are like 95% "thanks this helps with my schoolwork" and 5% "here's an alternative way to prove this theorem that I just invented"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i take this back. i pointed out a youtuber made a mildly controversial comment in a video two months ago (vim vs emacs) and i'm STILL getting idiots responding to the thread accusing me of being on one side or another. please kill the notifications. please.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Arivia posted:

i take this back. i pointed out a youtuber made a mildly controversial comment in a video two months ago (vim vs emacs) and i'm STILL getting idiots responding to the thread accusing me of being on one side or another. please kill the notifications. please.

Vim Vs Emacs is one of the most divisive topics I can think of amongst tech dorks, you had sown the wind and shall reap the whirlwind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is it divisive? They’re both terrible just use pico or nano

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ed is the standard text editor

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

repiv posted:

ed is the standard text editor

:hmmyes:

emacs and vim are both great but if you use evil-mode you will not see heaven

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Beve Stuscemi posted:

How is it divisive? They’re both terrible just use pico or nano

Go comment that on YouTube tough guy!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

5% "here's an alternative way to prove this theorem that I just invented"

Terrence Howard is commenting on youtube videos?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Theophany posted:

Vim Vs Emacs is one of the most divisive topics I can think of amongst tech dorks, you had sown the wind and shall reap the whirlwind.

No no, I didn’t state an opinion. I just pointed out the video contained one. THE DORKS WON’T SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Former Human posted:

lol

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Theophany posted:

Up there with Kirk vs. Picard and Tabs vs. Spaces.

Yes I am older than 40. There's gotta be newer examples...

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
People who want to buy gaming laptops VS. People who (correctly) tell them all the reasons they shouldn't.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Former Human posted:

Lol, at least the examples I've seen have been legit math

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Theophany posted:

It has to be 100% performative at this point

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I find both Vim and EMacs stupid and unintuitive but at least Vim is slightly usable

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Pico/nano 4 lyfe

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
edit dot com

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

hobbesmaster posted:

It has to be 100% performative at this point

maybe im an idiot but i find linux bash commands utterly unintuitive versus windows cmd or even cisco ios

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Palladium posted:

maybe im an idiot but i find linux bash commands utterly unintuitive versus windows cmd or even cisco ios

You don’t have a big enough neckbeard yet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aware posted:

Pico/nano 4 lyfe

This guy gets it

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Palladium posted:

i don't think any terminal command sets are what I'd call intuitive, mostly because they're all relics of cobbled together wrappers around generations-old greybeard fuckery
just the inconsistency in DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth for example

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Maybe I'm an idiot but I only use vim because I haven't bothered to learn how to change the default editor. 13 years as a software dev.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I really like Sublime Text but now just use Visual Studio Code which is almost as good. I think it swiped a bunch of features from Sublime.

Nice thing is you can just set it up to ssh/scp to whatever Linux system and change stuff so you rarely need to use a console editor like vi.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I didn’t mean to start it here too! 😭

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

nano for life

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For in-terminal editing, it's gotta be nano

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

emacs mostly works like a normal text editor, its what I used before sublime and vs code

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arivia posted:

You knew the risks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/zephray_wenting/status/1761548861896606014

quote:

Out of the box you get a laptop that basically doesn't do anything other than asking for the password. It doesn't have hard drive so obviously there is no operating system loaded. You can not even easily install your own because there is no USB port at all

On the back it says the model number is NV116APNB, which also doesn't really help. After doing some researching online it turns out the model name for this thing is the Justice Tech Solutions Securebook 5. The latest generation is the Securebook 6.

Looking at the motherboard, it doesn't even offer any unpopulated USB port solder pads, so trying to add an USB port would require some additional effort I guess. (Unless I can get the official dock somehow). The specs are: Celeron N3450 + 4GB SKhynix LPDDR3 + Intel Wireless 7625

On to the password issue. The boot splash basically told me it uses AMI BIOS. One generic way of clearing the password on AMI BIOS machines is use a flash programmer, searching for "AMITSESetup" in the BIOS NVRAM and simply zeroing out the the password.

And yes I can definitely find the AMITSESetup in the NVRAM and there is indeed an encrypted password waiting to be cleared

The only issue is that, after clearing it and flashing it back. Turning on the machine I am greeted by the enter password screen again. After reading out the flash, I noticed that the password magically returned. What was going on?

Turns out this machine, intentionally or not, would automatically resets the BIOS after the board is fully powered down (both battery and DC input removed). And at least for the BIOS version I have (and the BIOS V06 available on the website), there is a default password.

This means if I remove the power to reflash the BIOS chip, the default password would return the next time it's powered on again after then automatic reset. So I need to reflash the BIOS without removing the power to the board. This is what I ended up doing:

I would wish I have one of those small SOP sockets, but this hacky solution would do for now. I am now able to reprogram the flash without having to power down the board (thus trigging a reset). The result... I got access to this boring BIOS setup screen

Yes, the security tab is all it has. I can now set different passwords and see how they gets encrypted and saved on to SPI Flash. I am no expert on cryptography so I am not going to try further. I just hoped to checked it was just some extremely simple XOR, but it's not.

Apparently there is also a version of BIOS that doesn't have password and has way more options available

For now the default password is not a big issue anyway. It only has default password for accessing the BIOS setup, not for booting up. The reason it wants password is just because there is no bootable device and it defaults to entering the BIOS.

Now how do I provide a bootable device? It doesn't have USB port so it gotta be the hard drive. Then it has some other surprise for me: IT HAS A HARD DRIVE WHITELIST

Guess what, I actually know the original hardware model number, because this machine model has been probed by http://linux-hardware.org https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=5b3d6e18e7. According to the probe, it should have a... "China SATA3 240GB SSD". I mean, the vendor string is literally "China".

I guess based on that result I won't be able to the find the exact hard drive easily. Without diving deep into the BIOS reverse-engineering, how about USB boot? After all I think it would be crazy if you have to buy USB drive from them if they implement a USB whitelist...

So I quickly connected a USB Hub onto it. I decided to use the USB signal on the touchpad connector, because I am a bit too lazy to figure out the pinout of the dock connector. (Try not screaming at these wires, this is just a proof of concept)

And it just boots. Just power on and it boots right into Ubuntu MATE 22.04 amd64 installation USB.

So if I decide to do this USB mod properly in the future, I will probably design a custom USB Hub PCB. It would connect to the mainboard's touchpad connector through a ribbon cable. The touchpad would then be connected to one of the downstream port of the hub.

https://twitter.com/zephray_wenting/status/1761779705143840859

lots more pictures and hacking contributions from other users in the thread, I just took the key parts for people who don't have twitter

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

The editor wars never ended.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I know he probably gets hate in this thread because he's on the influencer side of the tech spectrum - and all the algorithm chasing in his vids do annoy me, the overediting, the English guy americanizing the prices and narrative for that bigger audience slice, the strange forced RP accent masking a real Nottingham accent, etc etc... but I was surprised by how much enjoyed Arun's latest video! A lotta fun seeing all these weird cheap India knockoff gadgets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdlLUogNYMw

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
It's super funny when the techtubers ads broker always end up eventually on those weird packaged food like factor, where the tuber attempt to make the tray look edible while being visibly one inch from throwing up that plastic food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I wonder how all the common podcast advertised products actually are.

Squarespace
Nordvpn
Rocketmoney
Raycons
Factor meals
Athletic greens
The ball shaving one
Vessi shoes
Ridge wallet