Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Holy poo poo that DR remaster looks fantastic! Now we just need a remaster of Jedi Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I feel like this gives me a better impression than the previous teaser where the player (hilariously) missed every shot, either as a reference to Stormtrooper aim or perhaps as a way to reduce the teaser's rating?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I feel like this gives me a better impression than the previous teaser where the player (hilariously) missed every shot, either as a reference to Stormtrooper aim or perhaps as a way to reduce the teaser's rating?

It was a Polygon tribute

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hrot featured a recipe at the end of each episode so i would have been sad if shrot didn't offer any

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo that DR remaster looks fantastic!

Agreed, can't wait for release day!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pumped for DF, the high-res assets seem to have been done really well, but obviously I'm also glad they're optional. I'm definitely a bit concerned about the MIDI issues they mentioned in that video, the timing does seem off just enough to be grating. Hopefully it's better in practice.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Enjoyed that DF video. It sounds like Dark Forces was/is a lot more technically interesting than I ever gave it credit for, although I did only play the PS1 version.

It and Alien Trilogy were the first FPS’ I ever played. Alien Trilogy is top of my personal NightDive wishlist for sure.

I wonder if Dark Forces releasing will pave the road for the next wave of announcements soon. There’s nothing on their revealed schedule after this week.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think people figured out it was some sort of trailer rating/Disney requirement thing, since in the same trailer the player is hitting robots just fine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah that same phenomenon gave us the doom eternal switch trailer where they bend over backwards to not show anything get shot or chopped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdW0HB_NhM

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Also, off-topic but the HROT dev announced a new game coming out in a few months: SHROT, a retro-RTS/tribute to a Czech Dune 2 clone laden with "horses, tractors and techno music".
Fun fact: Šrot (Shrot) is Czech for "trash metal".

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Kins posted:

Also, off-topic but the HROT dev announced a new game coming out in a few months: SHROT, a retro-RTS/tribute to a Czech Dune 2 clone laden with "horses, tractors and techno music".

:wtc: but also cool!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It honestly looks more like TA but I'm not familiar with either game enough to weigh in

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive come to the decision that as a people we can just stop attempting to make the Icon of Sin or C'Thon work as bosses.

30 years and no real world use case found

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The icon of sin fight owns though

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

Yaw yaw yaw :rimshot:

You can take that to the bank

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The icon of sin fight owns though

I mean, maybe in Doom Eternal where they pretty much abandon the original gimmick and make it a conventional boss fight.

It is interesting seeing decades of WADs attempt, and usually fail, to try and make it interesting and not stupid or obnoxious. Auger;Zenith actually had a pretty good stab at it, although maybe I'm just saying that because its the last one I finished.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No, I meant in 2. It's awesome, it's memorable and it's potentially hectic as hell if you don't have the skill to speedrun it. It's great.

It kicks the poo poo out of the spider mastermind from doom 1 and is more memorable than the cyberdemon and especially the barons at the end of kditd

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bumhead posted:

Enjoyed that DF video. It sounds like Dark Forces was/is a lot more technically interesting than I ever gave it credit for, although I did only play the PS1 version.

I do think they're overstating some of the tech a bit, although they clearly know what they're talking about regarding a lot of other technical stuff, so maybe I'm just unclear on it. I always thought the "room over room" stuff was pretty much just on par with what Doom was doing, and it was more just that they strove for more realistic design that pushed it as far as it could go. (Plus one or two neat tricks with 3D objects over sectors that had a secondary elevation.) It's definitely impressive that they were independently working on the engine before Doom even came out though, rather than just trying to copy it (albeit very well).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Milo and POTUS posted:

No, I meant in 2. It's awesome, it's memorable and it's potentially hectic as hell if you don't have the skill to speedrun it. It's great.

It kicks the poo poo out of the spider mastermind from doom 1 and is more memorable than the cyberdemon and especially the barons at the end of kditd

At best I'd say its a clunky way of trying to create a unique encounter beyond having another dangerous enemy with a long health bar, but everything about it just feels weird and awkward to me. In Doom 2 its basically just a puzzle boss which can only work once until you figure out its gimmick, and its very disappointing as a final level imo, especially since the Living End before it was one of Doom 2's strongest maps.

When it comes to community content, I'm never exactly excited to play the Icon map in basically any WAD I've ever played. It sort of hangs over most 32 map wads with people struggling to figure out how to make it work and be fun and interesting, too often it can just descend into a total mess with mappers trying to make it hard by increasing the amount of monster spawners, but in almost every variation of this I've ever played it just throws out any semblance of real design and it becomes a clusterfuck, in part because you can't really do that much with random monster spawns.

I mentioned Auger;Zenith having one of the better versions of an Icon level, I'd say the only other one that ever really worked for me was the Speed of Doom's Darkness Without End, where it just fully embraces the clusterfuck and has thousands of enemies, a zillion spawners and tons of megaspheres and invincibilities in a very atmospheric setting where the objective is to manage to survive for 3 minutes until you can kill Romero's Head.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Sometimes I think about the alternate dimension where, instead of the Icon of Sin, iD made some third super-heavy enemy to rival the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon as Doom II's final boss. Sometimes I wonder what it would look like.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I don't necessarily hate the Icon of Sin but let's be real it's a big scary wall that spawns enemies at you.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Milo and POTUS posted:

It honestly looks more like TA but I'm not familiar with either game enough to weigh in

As a TA expert, it definitely does not.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I appreciate it the same way I appreciate the Chthon fight from Quake.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sometimes I think about the alternate dimension where, instead of the Icon of Sin, iD made some third super-heavy enemy to rival the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon as Doom II's final boss. Sometimes I wonder what it would look like.

Honestly it would be nice to see more variety even among custom bosses, since I dunno how many times I've seen the final boss of a wad turn out to be one of those black pain-elemental-looking things that I can't remember the name of.

It's definitely an effective way to cap off your map sure, but I wonder why aren't there more different boss enemies.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I do think they're overstating some of the tech a bit, although they clearly know what they're talking about regarding a lot of other technical stuff, so maybe I'm just unclear on it. I always thought the "room over room" stuff was pretty much just on par with what Doom was doing, and it was more just that they strove for more realistic design that pushed it as far as it could go. (Plus one or two neat tricks with 3D objects over sectors that had a secondary elevation.) It's definitely impressive that they were independently working on the engine before Doom even came out though, rather than just trying to copy it (albeit very well).

Room over room in the original Doom wasn't possible outside of using invisible teleporters and hidden instant elevators, sectors couldn't overlap. The Jedi engine was considerably more advanced than Doom's engine, closer in capability with Build and in some cases surpassing it as Build had no support for polygonal models, only voxels and basic shapes made up of flattened sprites.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 26, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mordja posted:

As a TA expert, it definitely does not.

If you say so, looks like it to me.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I appreciate it the same way I appreciate the Chthon fight from Quake.

See now the chthon fight didn't do much for me, despite likewise being a "puzzle" boss. I guess it felt more like you were actually fighting the icon

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Because it's way more work trying to make your own custom boss monster than it is to re-arrange the existing icon of sin parts in a new way.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

I do think they're overstating some of the tech a bit, although they clearly know what they're talking about regarding a lot of other technical stuff, so maybe I'm just unclear on it.
The Night Dive dev heading up the project has talked about how LucasArts were pretty intense on the behind the scenes engineering on the engine, with effort put into things like multithreading and task systems in the mid-90s!

In less-well-engineered-games news, Dusk has updated to allow for custom Endless Mode maps and to add even more revamped assets to Dusk HD. Future updates will allow for support for custom enemies and weapons, as well as making the HD stuff available to mod makers.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

wonder how dark force's custom missions will play (if at all) with the remastered. some of those really relied on some crazy engine hacks and workarounds, so not sure how the heck they'd hold up

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Narcissus1916 posted:

wonder how dark force's custom missions will play (if at all) with the remastered. some of those really relied on some crazy engine hacks and workarounds, so not sure how the heck they'd hold up

Custom mission support is definitely a thing in The Force Engine so I'd be (a little) surprised if it's not in the remaster. I know I was able to play my janky attempt at a custom map from back in the day and it mostly worked. Not sure what kind of hacks they were using in some of them so I can't speak to that.

SCheeseman posted:

Room over room in the original Doom wasn't possible outside of using invisible teleporters and hidden instant elevators, sectors couldn't overlap.

Ah, I think I get it now. I knew for sure that neither game had actual room over room, but the overlapping sector thing sounds right. And of course DF clearly has multiple "floors" in the automap.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
DF also does poo poo where there's custom 3d props added to a level that might be something like the tie fighters flying around or it might be a huge bridge or cliffside. So maybe the engine can't do true room over room but it can do a big empty room with a fuckoff huge building model slapped down in it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Narcissus1916 posted:

Lucius was talking in the discord yesterday saying that the remaster isn't limit removing so some mods will work, but tfe will still be the port to play all of them

He also said part of the deal of him working with nightdive is that after remaster release tfe will be able to use all the new assets created for the remaster

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

site posted:

He also said part of the deal of him working with nightdive is that after remaster release tfe will be able to use all the new assets created for the remaster

sick

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I was looking forward to playing the DF remaster this evening but I find that I have to wait a few days still???? Please release it early for me tia

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

So can somebody explain to me what "limit removing" means? I see it here in the context of Dark Forces and I know it exists in the context of Doom as well, but I've never figured it out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

old engines often have a hard-coded limit of how many of each type of entity can exist at a time, and source ports can lift those limits

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

old engines often have a hard-coded limit of how many of each type of entity can exist at a time, and source ports can lift those limits

Not just entities. Removing/enlarging the geometry/rendering limits makes all those super-detailed huge levels that make Doom look so cool these days possible: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Limit_removing

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Arivia posted:

Not just entities. Removing/enlarging the geometry/rendering limits makes all those super-detailed huge levels that make Doom look so cool these days possible: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Limit_removing

Y'know unless you're a true madlad and are helping to make the next installment of Back to Saturn X.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On top of cool rendering tricks Dark Forces also supported rotating brushes and a bunch of other things. I never dug into it but it was probably as scriptable as, say, Hexen. Levels had triggered voice lines and narratives, integrated cutscenes, complicated switch-driven mechanisms, and other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doctor Bishop posted:

Y'know unless you're a true madlad and are helping to make the next installment of Back to Saturn X.

I can’t tell if you’re lampshading Doom32, or if you didn’t know.