Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Okay monkey paw says new Mandrake will be done by Randy or Jules or Guy Gilchrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

I'm too lazy to look, but I think I posted Friday's Hagar the Horrible twice

Zits

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You Are Really Doing A poo poo Job At Making Me Like The Independent Rabbit Free State

Mandatory 18% Tip Added To The Bill

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, April 11-16, 1984

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

You Are Really Doing A poo poo Job At Making Me Like The Independent Rabbit Free State

The portrayal of Rabbits as complete cultural/historical annihilators is a choice alright.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Schkade's grasp and utilization of negative space is SO GOOD, YOU GUYS!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Dana Simpson posted this article on bluesky that with recent cuts by syndicate Gannett, nearly everything in the line up are penned by men and though FBoFW survived the chop, it's a zombie rerun strip (along with a good number of other strips in the group).

Dismal state for published strips these days.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Is there anyone in that poo poo world who isn't a thief and/or murderer?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Mary Worth Presents: Big Keef Dribin'

Another work sketch of the thread's favourite leg of ham/sociopath, but I worked it up into a 'real' drawing this time.

(Slightly larger version)

Also I just peeked at today's Sunday strip and ohhhhhhh boy.

Gorgeous

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Samovar posted:

Schkade's grasp and utilization of negative space is SO GOOD, YOU GUYS!
Flash Gordon is as good as I had hoped Mara Llava would be.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Another work sketch of the thread's favourite leg of ham/sociopath, but I worked it up into a 'real' drawing this time.

Beautiful.

And speaking if Sunday's strip:

Mary Worth

Yeah, I think this is literally the happy ending for this story arc.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Flash Gordon

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Well, IMHO, had Holbrook left out all pretense of social metaphoras and made the strip only about the shenanigans of predator and preys, it'd have worked much better.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Mercury Hat posted:

Dana Simpson posted this article on bluesky that with recent cuts by syndicate Gannett, nearly everything in the line up are penned by men and though FBoFW survived the chop, it's a zombie rerun strip (along with a good number of other strips in the group).

Dismal state for published strips these days.

God forbid newspaper readers be exposed to comics that are actually funny. Let's just rerun the same old dude's comics forever!

Ravenson fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 25, 2024

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Never ever? I think I gotta call bullshit on this guy's credentials.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

incredible when you consider he pissed his pants after learning kitty kept knowledge of her pregnancy and daughter from him

and was presented as noble for running off some other man who was lying to them for his own gain

these poor women

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Ravenson posted:

God forbid newspaper readers be exposed to comics that are actually funny. Let's just rerun the same old dude's comics forever!

Depressing isn't it, the grip that old white Boomer men still have on society in unexpected ways....I'm not saying all the cartoonists are old white Boomer men, but the intended audience definitely is.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ravenson posted:

It's cheap!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's a shame about the misogyny and the cuts but a bit of a morbid chuckle at cutting clunkers like New Trail and Nancy. I guess it's the stopped clock rule. lmao at Jules adding herself to an 80 year track record of "good" comic. Has Mark Trail ever had a good storyline that wasn't done by the first artist?

lmao incredible art for a stupid finish. I guess we should give Keith some credit for not doing the true dumbest tradman thing possible and thundering off to die miserable and alone at the idea of being supportive to a child that isn't his. A shame the road he took to reach all these conclusions sucks and we really are never gonna see that guy he ran off again. Just 100% heroic portrayal, thank you Keif Bigman.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (July 25-27, 2005)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doomykins posted:

It's a shame about the misogyny and the cuts but a bit of a morbid chuckle at cutting clunkers like New Trail and Nancy. I guess it's the stopped clock rule. lmao at Jules adding herself to an 80 year track record of "good" comic. Has Mark Trail ever had a good storyline that wasn't done by the first artist?

Remember, past threads were -- at first -- enthusiastic about James Allen's Mark Trail because it had actual action and everything, instead of pointlessly meandering like the Jack Elrod version! And then it eventually became apparent that Allen was an art-copier who had no idea how to pace a story and was generally a lovely person.

Pogo 6/5-7/52

Archie 9/1-3/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 2/27/77

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mark Trail is just cursed

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

destroy the church ladies

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Not a single funny hat, shameful church ladies.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Selachian posted:

Oh poo poo

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

:eyepop:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Selachian posted:

Failthrop

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Is this behavior fit for a CPA!?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Why can't all soap strips be like Vera Valiant?

A month of Mary Worth or Rex Morgan has less events than VV does in a week.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

That CPA is at the disco in his suit and I love it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Take this dude to IKEA's lighting section and just blow his mind

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(November 17, 1918)

Gasoline Alley(October 19, 1919)

Little Nemo(April 12, 1908)

One more strip before we go back to spoilering.
Another batch of mostly unspoilered strips will run from July through August 1908.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This might be the most disgusting end of a story line I've ever seen, and I've read 9 Chickweed Lane.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I hope I'm not alone in this but I'm growing to hate these Unknown Commander parts of the Phantom. It's insanely stupid, it's like a little kid describing one of those 1960s-80s shows where a spy gets orders from a phone but it's presented as the Phantom being a master of manipulation over a company of military trained people who are idiots by order of the script.

To say nothing of spending multiple months of Sunday strips on the thrilling ordeal of remodeling an office.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 26, 2024

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I checked out of reading Sunday Phantoms shortly after this unknown commander poo poo started up again. It's just boring as hell.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Who is this EMISSARY? And who are these Serpent Men? Every Conan story I read seemed to involve the manifestation of something snakey. I think Robert E. Howard was dogged by scaly notions.

Tiggum posted:

I figured it out pretty quickly, but I did first read "Sedgegeld" as "sed-geg-eld" rather than "sedge-geld". :haw:

You're gonna have to explain this to me, I'm not getting the joke?:confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Guy Fawkes posted:

Well, IMHO, had Holbrook left out all pretense of social metaphoras and made the strip only about the shenanigans of predator and preys, it'd have worked much better.

Yeah as a Funy Gag Strip it'd work fine, but the instant you have a Serious Storyline we suddenly need to take the world seriously and hoo boy

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for February 23, 1928! Cat cover by Pates Gilbert.

P Webb:

LJ Holton:

Ned Hilton:

Don Herold:

J. Norman Lynd:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (July 25-27, 2005)

I'm so confused did shelly die and get zombiefied again? man his pacing on his older stuff is hard