Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I heard that drinking six bottles of red is really good for sleep apnoea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sleep apnoea and insomnia together sounds like a loving nightmare to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eediot Jedi posted:

I have a cure for this too! Six bottles of red but also a dense weave of lies and evil deeds. Should set him straight in no time.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Quit and spend time with your family.

No you other family.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Quit and spend time with your family.

No you other family.

The one where he publicly declared to the media the identity of the child's biological father is a "grey area".

(everything else aside, how on earth did that not instantly kill that relationship)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Reading an article on the cop killer (not the cool body count kind) and this bit made my eyes pop out of my head like a cartoon wolf.

quote:

Lamarre-Condon’s gun was signed out of Miranda police station on Thursday, February 16, for the purposes of his work on a “user pays” police operation.

These events, usually the monitoring of protests, allow officers to pick up extra shifts and fees are paid by organisations.

Link: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/police-divers-to-search-multiple-dams-for-jesse-baird-and-luke-davies-20240226-p5f7pp.html?btis

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Reading an article on the cop killer (not the cool body count kind) and this bit made my eyes pop out of my head like a cartoon wolf.

Link: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/police-divers-to-search-multiple-dams-for-jesse-baird-and-luke-davies-20240226-p5f7pp.html?btis

Why should tax payers have to eat the cost of cops directing traffic around movie shoots, live music events and other poo poo?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

JBP posted:

Why should tax payers have to eat the cost of cops directing traffic around movie shoots, live music events and other poo poo?

Agreed. that's what private security firms are for.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This reporter has hosed up as well. Some quarters are whining that cops should be able to charge "users" (protest groups) back for them attending protests the same as other user pays policing. Most cops are whining for federal funding to attend P/I protests because that all comes out of budget and the overtime is massive.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I helped with a couple of Country Music Musters in Gympie, QLD as a volunteer fire fighter and the event did have private security. The police also had duty officers going around the grounds as well and about 5 km away or something was a fully tooled and ready to go riot control and SWAT standby force.

The event had to pay the police to be there and supply all messing, accommodation, etc. Same with us, our rural fire brigade won the tender to supply fire protection services for the non-structural stuff.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

At some events it's practically extortion. The police say "You need X officers on site, that'll be $50,000, cough up". It played a big role in some of them going under.

RIP Peats Ridge and Playground Weekender.

other factors were also involved in their demise

edit - \/\/ I'm not sure of the legal technicalities of the contract, but my understanding is that yes, for all intents and purposes it's essentially required

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 26, 2024

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The event had to pay the police to be there

Is paying the police to be there a requirement of holding a large event? Or could they have not paid (and not had any police presence)?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
beetroot apparently was mixing booze and prescription meds

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Urcher posted:

Is paying the police to be there a requirement of holding a large event? Or could they have not paid (and not had any police presence)?

If police permission is required for the event - you would be surprised just how and when that permission is required - then yes if they deem it necessary. You don't get a choice if the police say it's part of giving a permit.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Bucky Fullminster posted:

At some events it's practically extortion. The police say "You need X officers on site, that'll be $50,000, cough up". It played a big role in some of them going under.

RIP Peats Ridge

quote:

Shortly after the 2012 festival, the company running it went into liquidation, citing poor ticket sales.[3] However, there were accusations that Matt Grant, the festival organiser, had embezzled $1.3 million and destroyed records.[4] Many creditors, including the John Butler Trio, were owed a total of $1.25 million.[5]
Clearly the POLICE were the problem here.

https://musicfeeds.com.au/news/peats-ridge-director-matt-grant-accused-of-embezzling-1-3-million/#/slide/1

quote:

According to TheMusic, an investigation was launched by liquidators Worrells, who have so far only been able to recover $158,975, not even enough to cover the liquidation fees. They’ve established that $1.4 million in ticket revenue is unaccounted for and that emails and files have been deleted from the company computer, with Mal Tulloch of the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance saying, “There is a litany of illegal behaviour, we believe, by the director.”

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The police thing was more about Playground, not Peats Ridge. I specifically said other factors were involved too, and was just mourning them both.

Because yes it was a great event and it's a shame it ended the way it did.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's just as big a nightmare as you might think.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Police uninvited from Mardi Gras.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Urcher posted:

I imagine it'd be a non-starter for some events (e.g. ones that involve alcohol).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Police uninvited from Mardi Gras.

It only took a double murder for the mardi gras board to make a decision

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

Tbf a wicked good time get on it barnoblus

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Spookydonut posted:

Oof. He realises that's a worse look than "just" going on a bender, right?

The kinds of meds that alcohol can mess with tend to be ones that can gently caress up your body (as in, "will nuke your liver from orbit"), not just your life. Pharmacists and doctors generally warn you not to drink while taking them, though.

So either he wasn't told (bad, though I reckon it's unlikely), or he was and he ignored it (worse), or he's accidentally or intentionally taken them without a prescription and gotten on the beers (worst).

Can't say he inspires much confidence, but hey, he's not my local MP, maybe his constituents are going "onya, mate!"?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

froglet posted:

So either he wasn't told (bad, though I reckon it's unlikely), or he was and he ignored it (worse), or he's accidentally or intentionally taken them without a prescription and gotten on the beers (worst).

....or D) he was just plain fall-down drunk and lied about a bad reaction with meds

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I dont think drinking causes you to lie down in garden beds, I drink quite a bit and I don't remember anything like that happening

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

....or D) he was just plain fall-down drunk and lied about a bad reaction with meds

This is what happens when MPs feel the need to talk to the press gallery instead of to the Australian public, who are going to be more or less fine with "yeah I got drunk." I thought Barnaby of all people was actually fairly attuned to that.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Bingo time- Is your workplace paying men more? Some up to 75% more?

Shout out to the companies with 95% women workers with a 73% median pay favor of men.

Round up the usual suspects, though some will surprise you (Rio Tinto?!):

quote:

Supermarket Woolworths: 5.7 per cent
Rival Coles: 6 per cent
Smaller rival Aldi: 5.3 per cent
Department store Myer: 2.8 per cent
Retailer JB HiFi: 1.9 per cent
Parent company of carb-pusher Bakers Delight: 35 per cent
Burger chain Grill'd: 12.5 per cent
Optometrists Specsavers: 7.4 per cent
Travel agents Flight Centre: 16.8 per cent
Telco Optus: 13.5 per cent
Commonwealth Bank: 29.8 per cent
Westpac: 27 per cent
ANZ: 22.7 per cent
NAB: 16.4 per cent
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank: 24 per cent
Goldman Sachs: 32.7 per cent
Barrenjoey: 33.8 per cent
IAG: 27.5 per cent
QBE: 24 per cent
Bupa: 33.8 per cent
Medibank: 17.8 per cent
Collingwood Football Club: 42 per cent
Adelaide Football Club: 30 per cent
Port Adelaide Football Club: 9.8 per cent
Fremantle Football Club: 32 per cent
Essendon Football Club: 23.1 per cent
Richmond Football Club: 16 per cent
North Melbourne Football Club: 2.9 per cent
Wests Tigers Football Club: 4.8 per cent
SANFL: 4.7 per cent
Football Australia: 0 per cent
AFL: 0 per cent
Douglass Hanly Moir Pathology: 11 per cent
Australian Red Cross Society: 10.4 per cent
St Vincents Hospital (Melbourne): 6.6 per cent
RSL Care RDNS: 0.9 per cent
St John of God Health Care: -2.9 per cent
BHP Group: 18.9 per cent
Rio Tinto: -2.3 per cent
Hancock Prospecting: 25 per cent
Inpex Australia: 24.5 per cent
Woodside Energy: 16.1 per cent
Thiess: 8.7 per cent
GHD: 26 per cent
PwC: 4 per cent
KPMG: 12.9 per cent
Deloitte: 16.7 per cent
EY: 15.9 per cent
Accenture: 15.8 per cent
Boston Consulting Group: 27.2 per cent
McKinsey Pacific Rim: 33.4 per cent
Maurice Blackburn: 31.7 per cent
Shine Lawyers: 25.5 per cent
MinterEllison: 22.2 per cent
Allens: 9.8 per cent
Herbert Smith Freehills: 17.3 per cent
Clayton Utz: 18.9 per cent
Watpac Construction: 41.6 per cent
Built Management Services: 35.6 per cent
Schindler Lifts: 34.9 per cent
Henley (Arch Unit Trust): 33.3 per cent
Simonds Group: 29.7 per cent
Hansen Yuncken: 28.6 per cent
Lendlease: 24.7 per cent
South Coast Baptist College WA: 42.4 per cent
Central Queensland University: 20.7 per cent
Catholic Education WA: 16.7 per cent
Methodist Ladies College WA: 33.1 per cent
University of Technology Sydney: 11.9 per cent
Australian National University: 7.9 per cent
University of Melbourne: 7.4 per cent

Mines at 10% difference. In favor of women.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 26, 2024

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Woolies are telling its staff no more queer or indigenous stickers on their laminates/name tags.

I guess now the public are out for blood they've decided to go mask-off evil?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

froglet posted:

I imagine it'd be a non-starter for some events (e.g. ones that involve alcohol).

A lot of event organisers reckon the user pays policing for large events makes them a financial non-starter now. Good way for the cops to shut down music festivals, the number one source of crime.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Rob_Stott/status/1762238629739630942

just stellar policing there NSWPol

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/Rob_Stott/status/1762244017616564580

jfc

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I heard Webb speak once, and my impression is she kept getting handed the poisoned chalices that nobody else wanted, rising in the ranks more from general attrition and being willing to take on the poo poo nobody else wants to.

The above statement speaks volumes of her mental mindset.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This stupid help to buy thing is such a scam. 10,000 "low and middle income" people suddenly with hundreds of thousands to pump into property.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

the OG "i was hacked!"

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Bandaids don't fix bullet holes

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Woolies are telling its staff no more queer or indigenous stickers on their laminates/name tags.

I guess now the public are out for blood they've decided to go mask-off evil?

Trying to win back the anti woke patriots so they can rip them off too

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's probably an insurance or whs risk if people are going off their rocker at staff tbh.

E: well not probably, it absolutely is a risk and might already be happening. Getting verbally or physically abused by a customer at work is basically auto-compo

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 27, 2024

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

It's probably an insurance or whs risk if people are going off their rocker at staff tbh.

E: well not probably, it absolutely is a risk and might already be happening. Getting verbally or physically abused by a customer at work is basically auto-compo

bruh

it was happening during the pandemic; people were flipping their lids at staff because they were being asked to sign in/were being asked to wear masks/ weren't replenishing panic-bought items fast enough. If it wasn't an issue then what would suddenly make it an issue now? (Or are there compo cases I don't know about?)

BoonyPC posted:

Trying to win back the anti woke patriots so they can rip them off too

might be a bit late for that though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GrandTheftAutism posted:

bruh

it was happening during the pandemic; people were flipping their lids at staff because they were being asked to sign in/were being asked to wear masks/ weren't replenishing panic-bought items fast enough. If it wasn't an issue then what would suddenly make it an issue now? (Or are there compo cases I don't know about?)

might be a bit late for that though

It was an issue then, but you had to ask for masks and people have to work. That was the universal way business was being conducted. You couldn't open your store and make money without accepting this risk. I'm sure there were plenty of WorkCover claims due to that behaviour and the cost of these was accepted as part of being open at that time.

If stickers/badges are inciting or potentially inciting customers to abuse staff more than they would with plain name tags then of course the whs officer and lawyers are going to say stop allowing it. Risk management is about risk, not what has already happened*. If there is a potential increase in risk to staff that are wearing a pride pin, then you can just remove the risk.

If people want to turn pride pin at work into political biffo with the employer and the public I don't begrudge them that and say good on you, but the insurance beancounters might not agree with me.

* and returning to the Dutton led anger directed at the business over miniature Australia day flags I would guess the risk of fuckheads has increased

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

It was an issue then, but you had to ask for masks and people have to work. That was the universal way business was being conducted. You couldn't open your store and make money without accepting this risk. I'm sure there were plenty of WorkCover claims due to that behaviour and the cost of these was accepted as part of being open at that time.

If stickers/badges are inciting or potentially inciting customers to abuse staff more than they would with plain name tags then of course the whs officer and lawyers are going to say stop allowing it. Risk management is about risk, not what has already happened*. If there is a potential increase in risk to staff that are wearing a pride pin, then you can just remove the risk.

If people want to turn pride pin at work into political biffo with the employer and the public I don't begrudge them that and say good on you, but the insurance beancounters might not agree with me.

* and returning to the Dutton led anger directed at the business over miniature Australia day flags I would guess the risk of fuckheads has increased

The problem with this "think of the insurance" line of argument, isn't that an argument as well against presenting queer at work? Where is the line here between where antidiscrimination law starts and corporate control of employees ends?