Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is there any customization beyond the stickers, like painting panels and stuff? Do I just need to progress farther?

I expected Pacific Drive to be my game of the month but hoo boy. After not buying or playing anything at length that was new for months, suddenly I'm in Balatro, Helldivers, and Pacific Drive all on the same weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah there are paints and stencils. I've found the little vacuum tube receptacles that you sometimes see at the side of the road are good places to get them, but the back of box trucks is also good

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
More Pacific Drive talk

There is one anomaly that apparently shows up in every single goddamn map in the early section, in the "strange" category, that in the midgame I've still not managed to scan and I don't feel like there's any I've seen but not scanned.

I have at a glance abductor, left-right, broken bunny, beating heart scanned in that category.

Any ideas?

thark fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 25, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Valatar posted:

I couldn't care less about optional stuff; if it's not for me I just don't take the option and get on with my life. It's like people losing their poo poo about a dropdown pronoun thing for Starfield when the fact that it was a lovely game is what people should've actually been upset over. That said, I do strongly suspect that "lol those chuds can't take my queer pride :smuggo: " would super quickly change to "OMG LITERAL GENOCIDE :emo: " if there was some 4chan meme poo poo optional cosmetics in the game like a super straight flag or some pepes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hey for transparency's sake I thought about this post more and oh boy. Sorry I didn't come down harder the first time to be honest. Ugh.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

thark posted:

More Pacific Drive talk

There is one anomaly that apparently shows up in every single goddamn map in the early section, in the "strange" category, that in the midgame I've still not managed to scan and I don't feel like there's any I've seen but not scanned.

I have at a glance abductor, left-right, broken-bunny scanned in that category.

Any ideas?

Do you have pothole? It's an easy one to miss because it doesn't seem like it does anything but you've probably seen it a bunch of times already and just never thought to get out and scan it. Look for floating rocks.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Do you have pothole? It's an easy one to miss because it doesn't seem like it does anything but you've probably seen it a bunch of times already and just never thought to get out and scan it. Look for floating rocks.

(It's also not beating heart.)

Hm I know I have scanned that and I have it in my logbook but suspicously I can't see it listed anywhere on the route map right now.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, I'm also missing that one strange from the early zones, no idea what it is. Not pothole, already got that.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Is it happy hare?

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Shes a beaut, Clark.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Petition the devs to add a roof-mounted recliner with a tourist sitting in it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
not content to simply play pacific drive in vr, i went and looked into adding songs into the radio and unfortunately it's beyond little old me. they use wwise, which as i recall from trying and failing to mod e1m1 into the first level of doom 2016 is a huge pain in the rear end for someone like me not already familiar with the software

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Umbreon posted:

Is it happy hare?

Nope, already got that too. It's driving me mad, I swear I've scanned everything, yet pretty much every outerzone area has a ? strange encounter I've not scanned.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Is there any way to get your car unstuck? Mine glitched out on some poo poo and nothing I could do helped. Sucks to loose like 2 hours of playtime because of a fence post

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Is there any way to get your car unstuck? Mine glitched out on some poo poo and nothing I could do helped. Sucks to loose like 2 hours of playtime because of a fence post

If it's only a little stuck, you can kick it and that tends to be enough to jar it loose. You have surprisingly powerful legs in this game. If it's very stuck, there's an emergency teleport button that will warp it to an open space a little distance away at the cost of some battery (on M+KB press and hold "T", on a controller press and hold both L3+R3 at the same time).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If it's only a little stuck, you can kick it and that tends to be enough to jar it loose. You have surprisingly powerful legs in this game. If it's very stuck, there's an emergency teleport button that will warp it to an open space a little distance away at the cost of some battery (on M+KB press and hold "T", on a controller press and hold both L3+R3 at the same time).

Games are too realistic these days!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Al! posted:

not content to simply play pacific drive in vr, i went and looked into adding songs into the radio and unfortunately it's beyond little old me. they use wwise, which as i recall from trying and failing to mod e1m1 into the first level of doom 2016 is a huge pain in the rear end for someone like me not already familiar with the software
Question about VR for this: If you're using a headset like the Oculus or Vive, do you need a whole setup or can you just use the headset by itself seated at your computer and let it rely on the built in gyros or w/e? I'm not keen to have to set up my lighthouses again.
Also this works fine with KB+M right? Or does it expect motion controls, which I imagine would be clunky?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

I like all the songs but there are like 5 of them and you get tired of hearing them over and over on long trips. And it seems to favor some over others. "Four Five says Six Six Six" is like every 3rd song, I swear to god. Does Spotify integration still work on Playstation?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

Vib Rib posted:

Question about VR for this: If you're using a headset like the Oculus or Vive, do you need a whole setup or can you just use the headset by itself seated at your computer and let it rely on the built in gyros or w/e? I'm not keen to have to set up my lighthouses again.
Also this works fine with KB+M right? Or does it expect motion controls, which I imagine would be clunky?

ive just been using a quest 3 sorry, no idea how it works on other headsets but i think you can at least get 3dof with a kb/m. in that case dont load the profile, just install and run the injector (you might have to turn off your antivirus lol)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

Quest doesn't require lighthouses or anything similar now.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wheres the gay survival sim game at

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I just hope that Pacific Drive's soundtrack gets people to buy more King Dude records.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

That's little goody two shoes.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you got tabletop simulator?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3040630432

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oldstench posted:

I just hope that Pacific Drive's soundtrack gets people to buy more King Dude records.

The radio stays on.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
After a few, shall we say, high-intensity jaunts out into the mid zone in PD I broke it up with a delightfully relaxing and meditative trip to one of the early perma-stable zones to restock on rubber.

Just me, my ride, and a happy hare that wanted to come along driving through the woods at night periodically stopping to strip some car tires. This game definitely has that Subnautica thing where you can get chill or terrifying experiences depending on what you're up for in the moment.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I made a Nightingale thread if anyone wants to come over and post about your experiences of axing a pig in the face while wearing a hoop skirt: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055084

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Nice op. Bookmarked for when my "try again inta year" becomes more like 2 weeks.

Oh the devs have said that they are going to fix the spoilered but this week btw

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

Nope, already got that too. It's driving me mad, I swear I've scanned everything, yet pretty much every outerzone area has a ? strange encounter I've not scanned.

Honeypot maybe?

It's just a rusted out car until you try to open the trunk and a bunch of flares pop out and go nuts

30.5 Days posted:

Saw someone online giving an interesting tip: panels and doors apply their damage resistances to adjacent panels and doors, use c to see the totals and consider reorganizing appropriately

This is interesting and I haven't seen it anywhere. Anyone have more info? I'm on PS5 so I'm not sure what the equivalent button would be

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Pacific Drive:

I'm an idiot and can't seem to figure this out, or I have figured it out and just didn't realize there wasn't a better solution: How do you get back to the loving garage if you just go for a drive for loot in a safe-ish zone? I went out cause I just needed more stable power and some chems and poo poo and I grabbed the orb and nothing....I just had the orb. No gate to select, the doors didn't seem unlocked, I could go to a further unexplored area but again, I grabbed an orb and just still no gates or way to actually get off the map? Can you just drive back into the gate that you enter from? I ended up just abandoning the trip and keeping most of what I needed at least, but still.

Also: Aside from running them over, are you able to do anything about Tourists?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Eminent DNS posted:

Honeypot maybe?

It's just a rusted out car until you try to open the trunk and a bunch of flares pop out and go nuts

This is interesting and I haven't seen it anywhere. Anyone have more info? I'm on PS5 so I'm not sure what the equivalent button would be

It's the scan button

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Crain posted:

Pacific Drive:

I'm an idiot and can't seem to figure this out, or I have figured it out and just didn't realize there wasn't a better solution: How do you get back to the loving garage if you just go for a drive for loot in a safe-ish zone? I went out cause I just needed more stable power and some chems and poo poo and I grabbed the orb and nothing....I just had the orb. No gate to select, the doors didn't seem unlocked, I could go to a further unexplored area but again, I grabbed an orb and just still no gates or way to actually get off the map? Can you just drive back into the gate that you enter from? I ended up just abandoning the trip and keeping most of what I needed at least, but still.

You need to collect a minimum amount of kLIM before you can open a gate. It's indicated on the ARC Map screen by the big yellow bar that fills up on the right side and the line that you need to get past.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

It's the scan button

Oh, makes sense -- thanks!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eminent DNS posted:

Honeypot maybe?

Oh that bodes well. Does it trigger when you scrap the trunk or only when you pry it? Either way it's going to be a pain to find that...

And about the panels thing, it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it loading screen tip. I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Spent the day playing Pacific Drive. It's a lot of fun. I'm super glad I turned on "Loot glows" because I'm 10 hours in and haven't even unlocked a real flashlight yet, i'm still using that crappy flare or just popping regular flares inside every building.

There are a lot of upgrade options but IMO going for the extra inventory + side racks is such a huge quality of life increase. Some of it could use a balance pass, there's so much stuff to research but a bunch are dead ends at least early game, like how there's no reason to research tires at all since you can just steal offroad tires rom trucks and that fax machine is unnecessary.

And yeah, I absolutely want to be able to close that garage door. Especially when the rain starts sheeting in at a 45 degree angle!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Crain posted:

Pacific Drive:

1. Perhaps you should experiment with flares.
  2. Perhaps you shouldn’t.
  3. Maybe they will be attracted to the light.
  4. Maybe you should drop that flare.
  5. Maybe they will explode.
  6. Maybe you should throw that flare somewhere away from you and your car.
  7. Maybe they will drop some mildly rare loot when a large group go boom.
  8. If you can’t wait, throw a lit flare directly at them.
  9. Maybe you should stand a little farther away and fire a flare gun at them.
  10. Whack ‘em with a prybar. It’s cathartic, among other things.

Don’t try these all at once.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I want to like Pacific Drive but it's too stressful for me, really don't like time pressure in games among other stressors in that game. It's good and fun but not for me.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I did not understand that you have to link gateways. I just stole an ARC thing and started driving to the orange dot only for it to turn red. But then another dot which was red turned orange, so I went back to it. But the it turned red and the original dot was orange again. And back and forth like three times before I googled how you open the gates. My car is so deeply hosed after spending like full minutes in the zone lmao. Part of this is that the map doesn’t really work at my resolution and it cuts off the legend, but also I rly needed to pay more attention to that tutorial I guess.

Also, can you take tires off cars in the wild? I tried with a mechanics kit but had no luck.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RandomBlue posted:

I want to like Pacific Drive but it's too stressful for me, really don't like time pressure in games among other stressors in that game. It's good and fun but not for me.
Do you mean the rush at the end, or the fact that instability sets in after a certain amount of time? Because the natural instability that comes over time goes very slowly, you have plenty of time to get around and even loot after it's started closing in.
I know that doesn't address the other problems but maybe there's some combination of difficulty and accessibility options that would make it more fun.

tildes posted:

Also, can you take tires off cars in the wild? I tried with a mechanics kit but had no luck.
Yes, and any other part, but you need a special tool for it. Look for the liberator, but you'll need thermosap crystals. You can get those from the midzone, or sometimes from blowing up tourists.

Bhodi posted:

There are a lot of upgrade options but IMO going for the extra inventory + side racks is such a huge quality of life increase. Some of it could use a balance pass, there's so much stuff to research but a bunch are dead ends at least early game, like how there's no reason to research tires at all since you can just steal offroad tires rom trucks and that fax machine is unnecessary.
You should definitely research tires, though. Not just for the lategame ones, but the liberator is less reliable and the age of a part seems to influence how often it gets negative statuses. I've got more ways to keep my parts repaired and alive now and everything is demanding a sealing kit every zone or so. These parts might just be getting old.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 26, 2024

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

LordSloth posted:

1. Perhaps you should experiment with flares.
  2. Perhaps you shouldn’t.
  3. Maybe they will be attracted to the light.
  4. Maybe you should drop that flare.
  5. Maybe they will explode.
  6. Maybe you should throw that flare somewhere away from you and your car.
  7. Maybe they will drop some mildly rare loot when a large group go boom.
  8. If you can’t wait, throw a lit flare directly at them.
  9. Maybe you should stand a little farther away and fire a flare gun at them.
  10. Whack ‘em with a prybar. It’s cathartic, among other things.

Don’t try these all at once.

Hmmm, yes. I shall be doing these.

Welp I got my first really annoying set of quirks.

Turn on wipers and my fuel gauge wipes back and forth as well. Can't fix that till I unlock a electricians kit

And now my car swerves hard randomly. Can't figure out the right combo of terms to describe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

If you've still got the game and can't refund it, the difficulty settings in the gameplay section of the menu are surprisingly granular. Including turning of the instability and gateway storms, which I think would remove all the hard time pressures. At least that I've seen so far.