Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Gucci Loafers posted:

From what I've read, supposedly Broadcom is focused on their "Top 500" customers because they can't or don't want to migrate from VMware despite increase costs. They're that invested. And in long run, they'll make more money off of them even if their smaller customers leave.

At least that's the theory.

Heard something similar, that they're focusing on whales with entrenched infraststructure. They're also pushing smaller shops to throw out any setups with multiple products and go with the full VMWare product stack. Sure, guys. Maybe if you're a company contracting your infra, but any place with a staff team is gonna side eye that so hard.

Probably saves them from having to hire more sales engineers to sort out bespoke licensing. One size fits all, right?

I do like that all of this is falling immediately after budgets were likely set up for the year. Just gonna asspull 92 milli, no big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Heard something similar, that they're focusing on whales with entrenched infraststructure. They're also pushing smaller shops to throw out any setups with multiple products and go with the full VMWare product stack. Sure, guys. Maybe if you're a company contracting your infra, but any place with a staff team is gonna side eye that so hard.

Probably saves them from having to hire more sales engineers to sort out bespoke licensing. One size fits all, right?

I do like that all of this is falling immediately after budgets were likely set up for the year. Just gonna asspull 92 milli, no big.

I'm very happy we're not due to renew until Feb 2026. Have runway to spare and we're going to need it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gucci Loafers posted:

From what I've read, supposedly Broadcom is focused on their "Top 500" customers because they can't or don't want to migrate from VMware despite increase costs. They're that invested. And in long run, they'll make more money off of them even if their smaller customers leave.

At least that's the theory.

There's no theory, top 600 was their explicit strategy back in 2022 before they were allowed to buy VMware
https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/30/broadcom_strategy_vmware_customer_impact/

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 24, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

HalloKitty posted:

There's no theory, top 600 was their explicit strategy back in 2022 before they were allowed to buy VMware
https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/30/broadcom_strategy_vmware_customer_impact/

Holy crap, that's freaking crazy. It's like they are literally making VMware become the mainframe?

I guess, that is a strategy that sort of works because well... mainframes are still around and IBM does make a profit despite holding a small percent of the market. I guess Broadcom is going for the same play here but I have a tough time seeing this executed? I would imagine migrating from VMware to either AWS, Azure or hell back On-Premise with something like Nutanix isn't that hard even for their most integrated customers? But maybe VMware has some customizations that we don't know about?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gucci Loafers posted:

Holy crap, that's freaking crazy. It's like they are literally making VMware become the mainframe?

I guess, that is a strategy that sort of works because well... mainframes are still around and IBM does make a profit despite holding a small percent of the market. I guess Broadcom is going for the same play here but I have a tough time seeing this executed? I would imagine migrating from VMware to either AWS, Azure or hell back On-Premise with something like Nutanix isn't that hard even for their most integrated customers? But maybe VMware has some customizations that we don't know about?

Mainframe would be optimistic, it seems more like they'll just milk it, get their money back and then some, then give zero shits about what's left.

Mainframes have unique hardware, and often run business critical legacy code. Risk-averse financial institutions prop it up.

VMware's products on the other hand can be competed with. Workloads running on one hypervisor or the other, what does it matter?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Our three year renewal is slightly less than our one year quote times two, and I was able to convince my boss that we will need two years to move off VMWare. Thank Christ I was listened to. I am really curious if someone will step up and fill the void this shitshow is leaving, we'll all find out soon enough.

My palm is healing quite nicely from the blood sacrifice I made, and our new datacenter will be released to prod on Monday :toot:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Never expect rationality out of a corporation

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Mainframe would be optimistic, it seems more like they'll just milk it, get their money back and then some, then give zero shits about what's left.

Mainframes have unique hardware, and often run business critical legacy code. Risk-averse financial institutions prop it up.

VMware's products on the other hand can be competed with. Workloads running on one hypervisor or the other, what does it matter?

Exactly! That's why I don't understand the business angle. It's way, way easier to migrate from ESXi to another hypervisor or even slightly re-architect an existing X86 app. COBOL and FORTAN don't run anywhere else.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It’s harder to move if you’re using their other stuff too. If you have NSX-T going with a multi cloud datacenter setup, the best alternative is probably just moving to some kubevirt based thing. If you’re just using it as a simple hypervisor yeah get off before renewal time. Shouldn’t be that hard.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is anyone able to get into more detail on that? For some background, I was a typical VMWare virt. guy but left for the Cloud after ESXi 6.0 and I never worked with any of their other offerings.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The biggest hurdle for us is we’re an on prem Citrix shop using GPU heavily in VDI .

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well let me tell you all about Azure Virtual Desktop for on-premises Azure Stack HCI

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What are the enterprise ready alternatives to ESXi anyway?

We're eyeballing Google Compute Engine as we already have a decent amount of Cloud Run / GKE apps and what we have on vmware is mostly third party Windows software that can't be easily containerized, but GCE always felt like "using the cloud wrong".

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

We're eyeballing Google Compute Engine as we already have a decent amount of Cloud Run / GKE apps and what we have on vmware is mostly third party Windows software that can't be easily containerized, but GCE always felt like "using the cloud wrong".

It kinda is but there is a lot of trash legacy stuff that can’t be cleanly containerized without taking the entire windows VM and shoving it in a container. GCE will work.

For on prem, can run legacy VMs in k8s with kubevirt too. If you have a requirement of having 24/7 vendor support in an org that fears being more self supporting openshift, portworx, and some flavor of micro segmentation like Cisco ACI (ew) will work to provide a highly available, backed up and secure environment.

We’re going to probably pilot Rancher/RKE2 and Harvester with Arista+Palo Alto MSS in front of it. I figure if the reason for getting away from VMware is to avoid paying their ransom, going to IBM with OpenShift is a questionable call.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nutanix is another alternative if you don't mind their ecosystem. I prefer their GUI vs ESX.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

HyperV, Nutanix, Scale Computing, Proxmox

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CloFan posted:

HyperV, Nutanix, Scale Computing, Proxmox

The important question is which one of these gets gobbled up by a bigger fish and/or ruined last.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I've been waiting for like EMC or Cisco to buy Nutanix and gently caress me.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The ceo of Scale has been doing an "I told you so" spiel on the conference circuit since the acquisition announcement. I guess some would-be early adopters opted out due to fears of a buyout when they first started about 12 years ago

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nutanix and Proxmox sound like something you buy at GNC that is of questionable legality.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Proxmox is too open sores to get gobbled up that easily.

I am actually looking into the thing, because we currently run vSphere, but all we really need is some VMs for the science stuff. We could probably even drop HA from the requirements. A three node cluster of Proxmox with two compute and one for quorum seems to be achievable with a university budget…

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
E:nvm

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nutanix still sounds like a white-label breakfast cereal similar to Weetabix.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i have plans to reformat my homeserver using all proxmox so i hope they don't end up sucking

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I know for our colo refresh, the decision was basically down to VXRail vs some sort of Nutanix solution (I am not familiar with Nutanix at all). I know supposedly VXRail is safe from the Broadcom shenanigans, but I wonder how true that is.

I managed a VXRail appliance at my last shop and liked it a lot, but we really didn't do anything fancy with it. Just basically ran ~15-20 VMs, mostly DCs and File & Print servers.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Proxmox is too open sores to get gobbled up that easily.

I am actually looking into the thing, because we currently run vSphere, but all we really need is some VMs for the science stuff. We could probably even drop HA from the requirements. A three node cluster of Proxmox with two compute and one for quorum seems to be achievable with a university budget…

Currently run proxmox. Its pretty easy to work with most of the time although there are some annoying pieces that you can find if you go through my posts here.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tokin opposition posted:

i have plans to reformat my homeserver using all proxmox so i hope they don't end up sucking

Works great for home server. GUI is slightly more annoying than ESXi but to be honest given the state of most open source GUIs (i.e. entirely written by coders with little thought towards UX), it's not bad. The fact it does containers as well as VMs is real nice also, makes it easy with a homeserver environment to do things like have all files stored in a ZFS pool on the host and pass it through to multiple containers with bind mounts so they're all operating off the same copy of files. I have a container running Kopia uploading part of my files to B2, one syncing another portion to OneDrive, a fileserver container that does general SMB for my other machines, etc.

Updates/upgrades have been pretty simple as well, they have a little tool for major version upgrades to check if everything's good, and the rest of it is just apt upgrade. Never had any hiccups on that front.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

It’s just Debian with a frontend. Esxi is redhatish with a front end.

E: or am I thinking of Citrix for redhatish

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

"Proxmox" has to be the worst name for a product ever

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

"Proxmox" has to be the worst name for a product ever

pot kettle?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

nielsm posted:

Nutanix still sounds like a white-label breakfast cereal similar to Weetabix.

My thoughts as well. For what it's worth, I thought VMware has kicked a ton of rear end in the 2010s. Great products and services but now? Ugh.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It's soon to be VMwhere, amirite?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 26, 2024

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get their rear end

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16asT9Lg2YCFkLcfktS-Zl7dN1QSOQs49tJuVITmJrNk/edit

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
that's freaking epic

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Billions of dollars on the line that we will not be sharing with the person that makes the drat thing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real red flag is they're writing in java.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I for one wish for my job to be 100x harder AND more stressful. And if the CEO is making GBS threads his pants about his wife plagiarizing, all the better. How do I sign up ASAP?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Works great for home server. GUI is slightly more annoying than ESXi but to be honest given the state of most open source GUIs (i.e. entirely written by coders with little thought towards UX), it's not bad. The fact it does containers as well as VMs is real nice also, makes it easy with a homeserver environment to do things like have all files stored in a ZFS pool on the host and pass it through to multiple containers with bind mounts so they're all operating off the same copy of files. I have a container running Kopia uploading part of my files to B2, one syncing another portion to OneDrive, a fileserver container that does general SMB for my other machines, etc.

Updates/upgrades have been pretty simple as well, they have a little tool for major version upgrades to check if everything's good, and the rest of it is just apt upgrade. Never had any hiccups on that front.

Good to know, thanks goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

So will the candidate be working on things that matter, or on an app that competes with Facebook and Instagram? I'm confused.