Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
afaict theres no NetworkManager gui that's not a panel applet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i think you can use it with kde settings?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Linux: Good

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Linux: Good

it has its moments

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Poopernickel posted:

systemd-resolved can eat a dick though

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

systemd-resolved is a nice cache

also nice for blocking rebinding

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
the last thing debugging stale dns entries needs is another loving cache

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Visions of Valerie posted:

the last thing debugging stale dns entries needs is another loving cache

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ok, I changed the ip address in dns so let’s

• restart nscd
  • restart sssd
  • restart dnsmasq
  • restart the web browser for good measure

wait, what the gently caress? why didn’t it refresh?

let’s check resolv.conf and trace the path of how these queries get resolved

gently caress, systemd again!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also, systemd-resolved messes up vpn configurations because it doesn’t consult the vpn’s dns server to resolve anything if at any point it fails to reach it (such as, for instance, the vpn is down and needs to be reconnected)

so systemd-resolved has been nothing but a headache for me and it’s the first thing I disable if I encounter any dns issues on a desktop or server

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Linux.... Mixed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is interesting to learn that i am better at computers than people who know ed, seeing how i've never hosed one up bad enough to need it.

lol if you haven’t broken an OS build

also lol if you haven’t root-caused and fixed an OS build someone else has broken

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

NihilCredo posted:

"must be readable without a gui" doesn't imply "must be readable in an 80x25 console"

are you guys regularly using 80-column screens?

on IBM PC derived platforms, 80×25 text mode is guaranteed to be available and usable by default at early boot on almost all hardware ever made that other than a Mac or similar workstation (e.g. Intergraph or Silicon Graphics NT workstations)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

spankmeister posted:

cancer loving sucks. lost my dad to it. I poured myself a scotch before i read your post, but now I will cheers to you full recovery

matti posted:

hope you get well blanksystemdeamon

hell yeah, here’s hoping BSD

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

my order of escalation is:
- shell: max 20 lines, maybe with one or two if statements or functions, maybe one loop. literally "run this sequence of commands"
- python: single file, max 200 lines or so, with stdlib only
- rust: the rest (if it's a hobby project)

the best thing about Lisp Machines is that Lisp is not just the default answer to each of these but a good answer to them

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nice, phoronix got a proper shout-out from gamersnexus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91SxN7Ub5X4&t=1263s

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
why is the label on the intel arc upside down?

or i guess the pins could be. either way

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

2028 will be the year of the systemd-kerneld desktop

simble
May 11, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

why is the label on the intel arc upside down?

or i guess the pins could be. either way

if its in the slot you're looking at that side with the "bottom" relative to the image towards the side panel of the case

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

eschaton posted:

the best thing about Lisp Machines is that Lisp is not just the default answer to each of these but a good answer to them

if lisp was gonna happen as a general purpose tool, it would've happened already

you've got emacs. and the dude who runs ycombinator getting rich.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lisp at every level is not going to happen now, but i personally think systemd would have done well to look at that kind of system for inspiration. the kernel being a very tight low-level monolith is proven quite correct, but i do think it would have made more sense to make the userland piece of the system higher level, more dynamic and composable, rather than extending the kernel mindset up another level.

something like systemd was unavoidable, but it is in some ways lower-level than the competitor systems designed a lot longer ago, which does not obviously make sense.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

simble posted:

if its in the slot you're looking at that side with the "bottom" relative to the image towards the side panel of the case

well yeah. but the label would still be upside down?

e: i.e. it would be like this inserted, no?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 26, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bus bandwidth is important for gpus and orienting it that way makes loading gravity-assisted hth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

thats what it would look like if you had a vertical mount pci-e extension cable type thing, but the majority will be mounting it directly into the board resulting in a horizontal mount. In that orientation the "top" of the card points towards the viewer with the pins seated in the board on the opposite side so it reads correctly

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

Do you keep your desktop lying down rather than vertical?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

e: nvm

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

Do you keep your desktop lying down rather than vertical?

ooohh :doh:

Shaggar posted:

thats what it would look like if you had a vertical mount pci-e extension cable type thing, but the majority will be mounting it directly into the board resulting in a horizontal mount. In that orientation the "top" of the card points towards the viewer with the pins seated in the board on the opposite side so it reads correctly

yeah. brain fart, i guess thats what i get for posting right after waking up

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

no it looks like this

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am real pleased that intel seems to be sticking to the gpus, at least the software side keeps improving.

intel might be a david to amd's goliath and both blips compared to nvidia (as far as the stock market is concerned anyway), but i do have some faith that they have a good collection of greybeards that cash still turn out good stuff.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nvidia managed to capture the AI market and that's probably their biggest market now

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, whole reason to post that is that i think it is rather bonkers. intel has a series of fuckups that has hurt them for a long time, but i think the basics of the company (and one of the basics being that it is the greatest friend linux has ever known) remain the same. nvidia owns the gpu compute space, but the amount of money in suppleanting cuda has now grown huge enough that it will almost certainly happen.

e.g. intel arc just having been made first-class supported by pytorch.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah, pretty big fan of clear linux over here

it really does make relatively crappy hardware much more tolerable to use, let alone actually good hardware

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lisp at every level is not going to happen now, but i personally think systemd would have done well to look at that kind of system for inspiration. the kernel being a very tight low-level monolith is proven quite correct, but i do think it would have made more sense to make the userland piece of the system higher level, more dynamic and composable, rather than extending the kernel mindset up another level.

something like systemd was unavoidable, but it is in some ways lower-level than the competitor systems designed a lot longer ago, which does not obviously make sense.

should've just used launchd

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, pretty big fan of clear linux over here

while i appreciate the spirit that is such a minimizing take on what intel has done in the linux space. like it is the one company that has reliably had vendor drivers for almost everything for 30 years, to a point that most linux nerds can immediately remember the two exceptions (and that's two exceptions from a company that has shipped roughly 9 billion pieces of hardware, standards, and reference platforms)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

while i appreciate the spirit that is such a minimizing take on what intel has done in the linux space. like it is the one company that has reliably had vendor drivers for almost everything for 30 years, to a point that most linux nerds can immediately remember the two exceptions (and that's two exceptions from a company that has shipped roughly 9 billion pieces of hardware, standards, and reference platforms)

oh, i didn't mean to be reductive, it just uses most of their optimized versions of e.g. python by default, which speeds things up quite a bit, allows things like the oneAPI suite to be installed easily, mostly uses hardware acceleration wherever possible, etc.

you know, things that'd have to at the very least be configured on some other distro

doesn't hurt that the chromebooks i've been running it on are basically intel reference designs, so yeah, the hardware is very well supported

(except for that goddamned fingerprint reader. i'll get it to work someday :argh:)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
basically what i meant is, if you want to see what intel's vision of a well-oiled linux distro is, install clear (or liveboot it or whatever)

the difference really is palpable

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

what are the two exceptions?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i got a laptop and put linux on it., think im going to regret this

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

shackleford posted:

what are the two exceptions?

powervr aaand.. xess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

powervr aaand.. xess?

powervr for sure, the second i think was really notable was the ipu6 webcam (very recent) which had intel platform laptops webcams just barely work on linux on launch. like, effort was made (in both cases), but it did not work out that well.