Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PhazonLink posted:

or they could jump into the time abyss that is between Wan and Aang - 4 which imo is a far more viable ore vein to mine

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
When Gran Gran started to read the opening credits i cringed.

I swear the episode did that whole thing twice and all.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

FacelessVoid posted:

Please just let this IP die. We don't need an earth nation Avatar with an iPhone or whatever is coming next.
Same. Magic fading away from the world or getting obsoleted by technology are both so rote at this point it's for the best that the setting never reaches anything completely modern.

Basically I agree with this

TwoPair posted:

And personally I think that'd be a bummer. It's like telling a Superman story in a world where everyone has powers (or tech that mimics it), an interesting thought experiment but not something that could be dragged out for long.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 25, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Korra doesn't end with magic fading from the world. It's very clearly the opposite.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I know it's just comics and all, but I am really liking Azula's arc so far in all the comic adaptations.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

quote:

It gets better by the second episode to be fair

Anyway, I’d kind of like to see the story of the second Avatar to be honest (as at that point the usual procedure wouldn’t have been established yet and the world wouldn’t even be aware that Wan COULD reincarnate)

Personally, I didn't like Korra S2 at all so I'd prefer nothing in it be acknowledged ever again. If they have to do another Avatar just way before Aang and pretend Wan never existed.

quote:

Same. Magic fading away from the world or getting obsoleted by technology are both so rote at this point it's for the best that the setting never reaches anything completely modern.

You're right that modernity as technology versus magic is lame and overdone. In Korra, technology means normies can be like benders--thus negating the magic system that makes the setting special. And spirits are just annoying weeds or cute studio Ghibli knock offs that sometimes need you to do a water dance to make happy.

But actually, the original ATLA did it in a smart way by having be an allegory for environmentalism. Spirits were literal embodiments of the natural world. For instance, in S3 a village is protected by a river spirit. But once they start polluting the river she disappears and leaves them in danger. And the best part is the painted lady's motivations are a complete mystery. Did she disappear because she lost her power? Did she want to punish the villagers? It's never fully explained. The spirits do not behave according to human morally--just like the natural world.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Watched the first two and a half episodes, and while I don't think it's bad I don't think it's very good. The writing and characters in particular feel like a big downgrade from the original, and Katara feels especially done dirty by the changes so far (Her actress also looks really stiff, especially in some of the action scenes). I'll probably keep watching, but so far my impression is that it really struggles to justify its own existence, and so far there hasn't been anything that makes me think "wow, I'm glad this exists and that I watched it instead of simply rewatching the original."

Costuming and the sets are pretty good though, I'll give them that.

It picks up a bit midseason. The first two episodes are the worst and I think that is partly why reactions have been so intensely negative.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FacelessVoid posted:

Personally, I didn't like Korra S2 at all so I'd prefer nothing in it be acknowledged ever again. If they have to do another Avatar just way before Aang and pretend Wan never existed.

You're right that modernity as technology versus magic is lame and overdone. In Korra, technology means normies can be like benders--thus negating the magic system that makes the setting special. And spirits are just annoying weeds or cute studio Ghibli knock offs that sometimes need you to do a water dance to make happy.

But actually, the original ATLA did it in a smart way by having be an allegory for environmentalism. Spirits were literal embodiments of the natural world. For instance, in S3 a village is protected by a river spirit. But once they start polluting the river she disappears and leaves them in danger. And the best part is the painted lady's motivations are a complete mystery. Did she disappear because she lost her power? Did she want to punish the villagers? It's never fully explained. The spirits do not behave according to human morally--just like the natural world.

Funny I feel the opposite and think the Avatar Wan episodes are pretty much the only part of Korra to be worth bothering with and kind of wish they had been included back in ATLA in some form or another to better foreshadow the Energy Bending stuff in the finale

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think that the dialog was a bit too expository. I hope in season 2 they will dial that back. I already know all the lore so sometimes I was just rolling my eyes going "yes, I know what the Kyoshi warriors are" or "yes, I read the Kyoshi novels and know the secret about Kuruk."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm at ep 3 but the remake has some of the worst exposition i've ever seen lmao

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

a neat cape posted:

I know it's just comics and all, but I am really liking Azula's arc so far in all the comic adaptations.

Her shift from Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Neutral has been pretty fun, yeah.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm at ep 3 but the remake has some of the worst exposition i've ever seen lmao

Yeah it has some of the most awkward line readings I’ve ever heard.

I’m still probably gonna finish it but my initial shock that episode 1 wasn’t complete garbage has been replaced by a sense of “oh it’s interesting how they’re moving some things around but overall why don’t I just rewatch the original?”

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ccs posted:

Yeah it has some of the most awkward line readings I’ve ever heard.

I’m still probably gonna finish it but my initial shock that episode 1 wasn’t complete garbage has been replaced by a sense of “oh it’s interesting how they’re moving some things around but overall why don’t I just rewatch the original?”

I am now considering rewatching the original after watching the live action version. The fact that show is also on Netflix at the moment is kind of clever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If this show does well, then Korra might get an adaptation that rewrites the plot and could make a better version of season 2.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Please enjoy the worst take ever from someone in the industry (and should absolutely know better that it doesn’t work like that).

https://twitter.com/nicparris/status/1761076552585097702

Who then doubled down in an even more obtuse way

https://twitter.com/nicparris/status/1761076554803855670

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The_Doctor posted:

Please enjoy the worst take ever from someone in the industry (and should absolutely know better that it doesn’t work like that).

https://twitter.com/nicparris/status/1761076552585097702

Who then doubled down in an even more obtuse way

https://twitter.com/nicparris/status/1761076554803855670

And without piracy, they'd just be gone forever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There have been a bunch of shows that have been killed for dumb reasons recently, but I still think it's a bit excessive to say that "if you only pirate shows your views aren't counting toward the decision of whether to renew shows or not" is the "worst take ever"

Yes, HBO might just kill it anyway, yes, the views might come too late and not factor into the decision anyway, but still if you view it by paying for a streaming service, your views are being counted towards a number that may be taken into consideration, and if you pirate it, they aren't.

Whether this would have made any difference for any actual show, I don't know, but I don't think it's an outrageous thing to say.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 25, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if it doesn't come from what the creators are told are the reason for cancellation, if they're even given a reason at all. That said most do seem to be on the side of "yeah, downloading is the only way to see this labor I worked on."

Covok
May 27, 2013

mystes posted:

There have been a bunch of shows that have been killed for dumb reasons recently, but I still think it's a bit excessive to say that "if you only pirate shows your views aren't counting toward the decision of whether to renew shows or not" is the "worst take ever"

Yes, HBO might just kill it anyway, yes, the views might come too late and not factor into the decision anyway, but still if you view it by paying for a streaming service, your views are being counted towards a number that may be taken into consideration, and if you pirate it, they aren't.

Whether this would have made any difference for any actual show, I don't know, but I don't think it's an outrageous thing to say.

It's a bad take BECAUSE we knoe Zlav canceled the shows because he viewed kids animation as a waste of money and abhors paying royalties because he only ever worked on reality TV. He is doing what reality TV people do: air a show, get your money, then destroy it for a tax write off. It's just no one cares if you do it for survivor season 98. But they care about it when its done to art. And Zslav is hated by everyone other than investors because of it.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
3 episodes in. The first episode is straight up bad but episode 2 is a pretty big leap in quality (even if I think they did Suki dirty by making her just have the hots for Sokka without the character growth.

Sokka is good (after episode 1) and Zuko is really good, actually; more than anyone else it feels like the actor is nailing what makes the character tick. Meanwhile Iroh is lacking the gentleness that makes his character work.

The action is ok-not-great, but I don't know that capturing the action of bending would work in live action no matter how much budget or time you have.

Overall so far, not a travesty but not something that is yet holding a candle to its source. It at leasts respects the characters and source material, so it's better than Bebop by default, but it's no One Piece yet.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Covok posted:

It's a bad take BECAUSE we knoe Zlav canceled the shows because he viewed kids animation as a waste of money and abhors paying royalties because he only ever worked on reality TV. He is doing what reality TV people do: air a show, get your money, then destroy it for a tax write off. It's just no one cares if you do it for survivor season 98. But they care about it when its done to art. And Zslav is hated by everyone other than investors because of it.

I have a hard time believing investors like him either. I bought a couple shares of WBD for $15 after the merger and now it's down below $10

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

lol what DVDs? so few of these shows get physical releases anymore and some of them like netflix originals don't even have digital season downloads available. putting aside the problem with digital only copies that companies can just yank away like whatever's happening with crunchyroll / funimation digital purchases at the moment.

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 25, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The shows I can think of where you can arguably chalk it up to 'merch didn't sell' are few and far between, like maybe the 2011 Thundercats but even then they were playing pinball with when the show aired and it was also around the same time when Cartoon Network got weird about any show that had good numbers but outside the 8-13 year old boy demo, I believe it was.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Rise of the TMNT was also blamed on low merch sales.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So many shows don’t have (a)DVDs/blurays, or (b)merch of any kind. A quick look for Owl House merch just brings up tons of unofficial Chinese things, and nothing from Disney themselves. You can’t support shows that don’t have any viable methods to do so.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm not a piracy expert but I'd love a peek at a smart estimate of % of pirate watchers from someone who is.

Some shows are killed by shortsighted weirdoes like Zaslav, but I would assume other stuff is a victim of analytics.

Everyone who has Disney Plus can watch The Owl House, but only a certain % of them do. If the % is too low, that's one point in favor of pulling the plug. Doesn't seem like piracy really has to enter into it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I've always said that I want the next series of Avatar to centre around the next appearance of Sozen's comet, and the Avatar being brought in as the fifth member of one of the teams chosen to be the first astronauts.

For All Mankind, but replacing rockets with kung fu.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The shows I can think of where you can arguably chalk it up to 'merch didn't sell' are few and far between, like maybe the 2011 Thundercats but even then they were playing pinball with when the show aired and it was also around the same time when Cartoon Network got weird about any show that had good numbers but outside the 8-13 year old boy demo, I believe it was.

They killed Young Justice for this too because they refused to make toys for it because Aqualad was black, is what i heard.

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel
Unless you are a literal child with zero income you have absolutely no excuse not to pay for the media you consume. Nobody, including artists, works for free and they deserve to be compensated for their work. Just pay the $15 you cheap weirdos.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Illmade posted:

Unless you are a literal child with zero income you have absolutely no excuse not to pay for the media you consume. Nobody, including artists, works for free and they deserve to be compensated for their work. Just pay the $15 you cheap weirdos.

...okay?

To be honest, some creators like piracy. Ian jones-Quartey, Own Dennis, and J.G. Quintley have come out in support of piracy because their shows were nuked for tax write-offs DESPITE being successful and both waxed romantically how piracy is the only way fans can now watch their show. They're not just off streaming, DVDs and digital purchases were pulled. I think OK KO is still alive, but its on the chopping block. If we're being honest, the real enemy will always be tying the existence of art to how much money it can make ghoulish executives who see art only as a means of growing their disgusting wealthy despite it already being so large neither them or any of their descendants will ever be poor again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

...okay?

To be honest, some creators like piracy. Ian jones-Quartey, Own Dennis, and J.G. Quintley have come out in support of piracy because their shows were nuked for tax write-offs DESPITE being successful and both waxed romantically how piracy is the only way fans can now watch their show. They're not just off streaming, DVDs and digital purchases were pulled. I think OK KO is still alive, but its on the chopping block. If we're being honest, the real enemy will always be tying the existence of art to how much money it can make ghoulish executives who see art only as a means of growing their disgusting wealthy despite it already being so large neither them or any of their descendants will ever be poor again.

Yeah. I subscribed to those streaming services, watched the shows and the shows still got it in the neck. As somebody said it's extremely in Zaslav's wheelhouse, himself being a reality TV guy, to go as cheap and low effort as possible and then salt the earth when he's done. It's a bit more surprising from Disney but even they're not having their best years lately.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Illmade posted:

Ah you’re right, let me just bring up how to watch Scavengers Reign in the UK. Ah cool, it’s on HBO Max, let me ju- oh, that’s not available in the UK. Well, it must be on some other site. Ah, Amazon Video has it! Oh what’s this? “This video is currently unavailable
to watch in your location.” Oh, hmm. Well, that’s it, no options to watch it here. Give up, I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On a similar note, was Pantheon Season 2 officially released anywhere in the world or is the only reason most of us were able to see it because someone leaked it online?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I remembering buying episodes of Rise of the TMNT off ITunes Media to try to watch the show legally since the only alternative was buying cable TV for Nickelodeon :shepface: Do they even bother releasing individual episodes piecemeal anymore?

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel
It's really not that hard to distinguish between pirating something because you don't want to pay for it and pirating because there is literally no other possible way to view it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Illmade posted:

I would be super into the thought of paying for a movie ticket for Coyote vs. Acme, but I can't. Official Owl House merch is nonexistent except for some Hot Topic t-shirts. Infinity Train doesn't exist anymore, so I have no way to pay for it anywhere and if I want to watch the whole series literally my only option is piracy...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1761476712624443836

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
basically everything I pirate I wouldnt have bought anyway, implying every pirated thing is a 1:1 lost sale is stupid. especially when theres been tons of examples where piracy leads to larger knowledge and preservation of media which results in more future fans who buy merch, DVDs, etc

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't have a bone in this fight, except to say that about 30% of famous children's show Doctor Who wouldn't exist if it weren't for piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Illmade posted:

It's really not that hard to distinguish between pirating something because you don't want to pay for it and pirating because there is literally no other possible way to view it.

Except it's paying a whole rear end service at this point and not the show itself.