Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mustang posted:

I don't see how pissing off the rest of the world with their actions does anything to improve their security.

maffew buildings posted:

Look do you want the rapture or not pal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Most cynically? 'This will permanently lance the Gaza boil and we will take all the bad press, you just have to run the camps and take arab money for them (because there's no UNRWA picking up the bill anymore) until the conversation runs to permanent resettlement'.

Nobody could possibly think that moving Gazans a few km into a camp will permanently fix anything. Refugee camps are ripe for exactly the sort of islamist dissent that Egypt fears.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Nobody could possibly think that moving Gazans a few km into a camp will permanently fix anything. Refugee camps are ripe for exactly the sort of islamist dissent that Egypt fears.

So putting my extremely cynical hard right Israeli politician hat on and assuming my personal goal is to move the Palestinians on and out of Judea then I would need to do two things:

1) Physically move them on.
2) Make the issue of resettling them both an imperative to avoid humanitarian catastrophe and a difficult issue for the Arab world that cannot just be answered with 'Israel bad'.

How to achieve 1 is obvious, how to achieve 2 is to first look to remove the money from the West that keeps the permanent camps tenable, then second get as many Palestinians outside of Israel or the Occupied Territories borders as possible. Doesn't matter if it's just a few KM (in fact optics wise that's probably better). What matters is they end up beyond the line in the sand that says 'Israel'.

When refugees start starving most people aren't going to revise the history of how they ended up there, they will read story that says 'Palestinians in Egyptian camps starving'. And now it's no longer Israel's problem.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah I agree there's many in Israel that want that outcome. What I don't get is why Egypt, or any other state, would go along with it.

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians suffering and starving in Egyptian territory could bring down the government. Even a more mild version of only tens of thousands that are a bit longer after is politically dangerous for Sisi. How could he be convinced to allow this? Or conversely, why wouldn't he end the peace treaty with Israel if this did occur?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Count Roland posted:

Yeah I agree there's many in Israel that want that outcome. What I don't get is why Egypt, or any other state, would go along with it.

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians suffering and starving in Egyptian territory could bring down the government. Even a more mild version of only tens of thousands that are a bit longer after is politically dangerous for Sisi. How could he be convinced to allow this? Or conversely, why wouldn't he end the peace treaty with Israel if this did occur?

Probably contingency planning. They must be aware this is gonna happen whether they want it or not, so better to at least be slightly prepared if possible. But honestly, who knows.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Active duty USAF member set himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy in DC today.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/man-sets-self-fire-israeli-embassy-air-force/

Critical condition with life threatening injuries. loving sad as hell.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Active duty USAF member set himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy in DC today.

As someone who has been set ablaze, poor fucker. He may heal someday, but he'll never be certain he's back to 100%.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Egypt appears to be preparing space on the border for refugees from Gaza. Viewed charitably, they're preparing for the worst. Viewed skeptically, one can't help but wonder if Sisi cut a deal with Bibi that would make him complicit in the wholesale ethnic cleansing of the population of Gaza.

That'd be signing his own death warrant, so I doubt it.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think the obvious explanation is "Israel will not let the refugees back into Gaza after they leave and Egypt doesn't want a permanent refugee population"

Egypt REALLY doesn't want Hamas setting up camp in its territory, thereby giving Israel a reason to start striking targets in Egypt.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Really sad part is that virtually nobody will know or care about this.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

quote:

Law enforcement responded, putting out the fire with three fire extinguishers. Law enforcement also drew a gun on the burning man during the incident. After emergency services transported the man to a hospital, authorities searched the area around the embassy.

Wtf

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Look, hammer/problem

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That cop's name? Andrew Bernard.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

When u want to say “stop drop and roll” but only “get down on the ground do it now or I’ll loving shoot you” comes out

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The cop heard "fire" and responded the only way he knew how.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The fire sounded like a suppressed acorn.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He was nuts so the cops drawed down according.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crab Dad posted:

He was nuts so the cops drawed down according.

A guy in a military uniform sets himself on fire, I guess you gotta assume they're capable of anything.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Kchama posted:

As someone who has been set ablaze, poor fucker. He may heal someday, but he'll never be certain he's back to 100%.

He's been reported to have died

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stultus Maximus posted:

Really sad part is that virtually nobody will know or care about this.

I care

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

More info

Not inling this one, intentionally
https://i.imgur.com/XKQZTqL.jpeg

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

He's been reported to have died

Poor guy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Kchama posted:

Poor guy.

loving hero.

Big brass balls, a wonder he could even walk

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kchama posted:

Poor guy.

Poor guy my rear end, he was someone with absolute moral conviction and clarity and the ability to act upon it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Poor guy my rear end, he was someone with absolute moral conviction and clarity and the ability to act upon it.

Hey, remember when I told you not to post in this thread anymore?

Don't post in this thread anymore.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

McNally posted:

Hey, remember when I told you not to post in this thread anymore?

Don't post in this thread anymore.

No but if that post somehow is bad enough to get threadbanned and you and Frozenvent have refused to discuss anything about your moderation then I don’t see the point of posting so fair enough. I’m happy to discuss whatever your grudge is with me if you want to reach out on discord or in PM but I’ll just take the hint and stay out of GIP.

If you could specifically clarify if I’m forumabanned or threadbanned for that post this point forward that would also be nice, I might still need to use some of the VA question threads.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 27, 2024

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

No but if that post somehow is bad enough to get threadbanned and you and Frozenvent have refused to discuss anything about your moderation then I don’t see the point of posting so fair enough. I’m happy to discuss whatever your grudge is with me if you want to reach out on discord or in PM but I’ll just take the hint and stay out of GIP.

If you could specifically clarify if I’m forumabanned or threadbanned for that post this point forward that would also be nice, I might still need to use some of the VA question threads.

There was nothing wrong with that post. Last month there was an issue where you were generally being insufferable and causing cross-forum drama and I told you not to post in this thread anymore, but I did it in a way that wasn't explicit. You're not forumbanned and are welcome to continue posting in GIP.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BrotherJayne posted:

loving hero.

The only post I believe is that he had recently received orders to deploy to an operation related to our material support of Israel in the Gaza conflict. That's the most resonating document that dropped about Aaron Bushnell. I full-break separated, no MIC no civil service parachute, so I would no longer have to do deployments or have my actions continue to support that absolute bullshit.

I knew a lady who got pregnant to get out of deployments. Worked for at least two bucket cycles. I always thought that was kinda beautiful: abdicating duty by creating life instead of going out and doing dirt in suckistan with us.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

loving hero.

Yeah, but I still sympathize with the agony he must have went though. It, uh, sucks being set on fire.

Just because you're a hero doesn't mean you don't feel pain, and even agony for a good cause is still agony.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 29, 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

The only post I believe is that he had recently received orders to deploy to an operation related to our material support of Israel in the Gaza conflict. That's the most resonating document that dropped about Aaron Bushnell.

What document are you talking about?

It's clear that Bushnell was protesting US support to Israel, but I've seen nothing at all that indicates he was being deployed. On the contrary, looks like he was on path to leaving military before his final act of protest.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The settler community is champing at the bit to get back into Gaza and displace the Palestinians. The IDF is expelling them, for now.

The Jerusalem Post posted:

Israelis settler activists infiltrate into Gaza, arrested by IDF

The IDF arrested several settler activists who violently infiltrated a military checkpoint in the Erez crossing and entered Gazan territory, KAN News reported on Thursday.

The suspects managed to enter 500 meters into the Gaza Strip before being returned to Israeli soil, according to Israeli media.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Cugel the Clever posted:

The settler community is champing at the bit to get back into Gaza and displace the Palestinians. The IDF is expelling them, for now.

They just don't want a spotlight on them failing to protect innocent Israeli lives from the perfidious Palestinians again.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

"violently infiltrated" sure is a phrase

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

RFC2324 posted:

"violently infiltrated" sure is a phrase

Yeah, does it mean they cut a fence, that they shot at someone on their way in, drove a vehicle at speed, wondered in while wearing a balaclava? Normally I can read between the lines on euphuisms but this one I have no idea.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

maybe it’s a bad translation?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
They probably mean the 'slip a small group of soldiers behind enemy lines' meaning instead of the 'snuck in' meaning.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Saw this and thought it was relevant from some discussions in the CE thread re: ethical and effective bargaining tactics, but also figured that this might be a better place for that discussion?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/03/04/business/red-sea-cables-cut-internet/index.html

Also, hi, I'm not a vet in any way. I joined these forums when I was in high school for the Mechwarrior Let's Plays and for whatever reason I keep lurking. I've been reading the GIP CE thread for a while since it's the most readable news thread on the forum. Not because of y'all posters necessarily, more y'all don't usually post about every dumb thing and are less prone to posting for the sake of posting so the news to BS ratio is pretty good.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

the JJ posted:

Saw this and thought it was relevant from some discussions in the CE thread re: ethical and effective bargaining tactics, but also figured that this might be a better place for that discussion?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/03/04/business/red-sea-cables-cut-internet/index.html

Also, hi, I'm not a vet in any way. I joined these forums when I was in high school for the Mechwarrior Let's Plays and for whatever reason I keep lurking. I've been reading the GIP CE thread for a while since it's the most readable news thread on the forum. Not because of y'all posters necessarily, more y'all don't usually post about every dumb thing and are less prone to posting for the sake of posting so the news to BS ratio is pretty good.

Welcome! As a fellow non-vet my main piece of advice is don’t be a dingus, everyone has been super cool answering my questions and explaining the references when asked.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1764425057416180172

lol and even lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This threadban doesnt seem to be very effective!