Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

This is actually a very unique issue that almost only occurs in America.

That is: fatal baseball injuries to children due to getting hitting the chest with a ball and it stops the heart.

:smith:

Well that screenshot is from a TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if there’s also some “walk it off, we don’t want to pay for an ambulance” involved

Nah. People usually notice when a kids heart stops. One sign is that they can't walk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if there’s also some “walk it off, we don’t want to pay for an ambulance” involved

You don't walk off getting hit in the chest so hard your heart stops. A loving ambulance is being called if only because a lawsuit from the parents is a much higher financial burden than an ambulance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ah, I don’t realize it was that immediate

terrible stuff :smith:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Commotio cordis

Which is what happened to NFL player Damar Hamlin last year. Happily, he was one of the lucky few to beat the odds and come back to resume his career this past season.

Commotio cordis is is very much all schad and no freude.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
About a year ago, football player Damar Hamlin's heart stopped after a routine tackle that hit him exactly the wrong way. He keeled over immediately like he was dead (luckily they were able to restart his heart and get him to the hospital and he recovered fully). It was obvious he wasn't going to be walking it off.

Here is the video, which is quite shocking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Z9Vd53yhI

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Air Skwirl posted:

Is there any reason beyond way more American kids play baseball than in any other country?

The Lone Badger posted:

That, pretty much. In cricket you’re not actually standing in the path of the ball.

I think it's also to do with the aluminum bats used in US little league. It makes the kids hit harder, and from what I understand, leads to a lot of injuries other than immediate death as well.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why would you post the video of the guy technically dying on field

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I read all the Jack Reacher books and he once punches a guy in the chest in the exact nanosecond between beats that would cause the heart to stop.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Soul Dentist posted:

he got better

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Soul Dentist posted:

shoes did not come off, he is fine

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This is all just more evidence that Wiffleball is the superior version of the sport.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

This one is so much worse than it seems. The idiot actually drove through the crossing, did a U-turn, then tried to drive back through it.

e: This is the best version of the video I could find and cuts off the first few seconds, but you can see the car as it finishes driving through the crossing as the arms are coming down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAedMvHIJkc

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Feb 26, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

Nah. People usually notice when a kids heart stops. One sign is that they can't walk.

drat snowflake liberal kids; Nobody Wants to Walk Anymore!!

credburn posted:

I read all the Jack Reacher books and he once punches a guy in the chest in the exact nanosecond between beats that would cause the heart to stop.

HAART BREAK SHOTTO

Soul Dentist posted:

We've got a nice, fresh Super Bowl ring for you if you wake up, Mr. Hamlin!

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

The Lone Badger posted:

That, pretty much. In cricket you’re not actually standing in the path of the ball.

Sadly, people do die from being hit with the ball playing cricket.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Catenfreude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU9dY_4Adso

Feel a bit bad for the guy, but they could have just jumped on any of the dozens of things around them that a tortoise can't climb.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

crusty posted:

Sadly, people do die from being hit with the ball playing cricket.

it's more out of embarrassment than actual physical harm tho right?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Large Testicles posted:

it's more out of embarrassment than actual physical harm tho right?

No

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If you get hit by a cricket ball (which are made of hardened wood, rubber and leather) after someone absolutely wallops it at 100mph, in the balls - and you are not wearing a cup, your balls are simply gone. Flash vapourized.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Drone_Fragger posted:

If you get hit by a cricket ball (which are made of hardened wood, rubber and leather) after someone absolutely wallops it at 100mph, in the balls - and you are not wearing a cup, your balls are simply gone. Flash vapourized.

Now is a good a time as any to post this.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
thats what being hit out for a duck means, you have to waddle off the pitch, cradling what remains of your testicles

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Samovar posted:

Now is a good a time as any to post this.

The perfectly enunciated "OH NO" at the second nut blast is perfect.

It's like that scene from Spaceballs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHbT6BjFvcA

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Soul Dentist posted:

It doesn't make any sense to me that a stopped heart with a working brain is "dead" but a beating heart with a dead brain is "alive".

I'm sure there are technical/medical/legal reasons why it has to be that way, but it's pretty weird on the face of it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The Soul lives in the heart.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!
Re: heart-stopping play, I was at the 1998 playoff game (Detroit hosting St Louis) in which Chris Pronger blocked a shot with his chest. That mountain of a man, coasting and fully upright on his skates, suddenly looked as though he’d come unplugged. He just dropped without any type of reaction.

Credit to Detroit fans (who, deservedly, rarely receive any) for both not cheering and staying eerily quiet until play resumed quite some time later. Seeing him taken off on a stretcher, followed by a PA announcement that his wife should make her way to the ambulance bay was disconcerting as hell.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Kennel posted:

The Soul lives in the heart.

Soul is stored in the balls

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
No, shoes have soles. That's why when they come off, they're dead.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This one is so much worse than it seems. The idiot actually drove through the crossing, did a U-turn, then tried to drive back through it.

e: This is the best version of the video I could find and cuts off the first few seconds, but you can see the car as it finishes driving through the crossing as the arms are coming down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAedMvHIJkc

This is doubly stupid because he had a red light. What's the hurry?

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Jen heir rick posted:

This is doubly stupid because he had a red light. What's the hurry?

McDonald's stops serving breakfast at 10:30

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

Groinârea accident.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

McDonald's stops serving breakfast at 10:30

https://i.imgur.com/BtSP5CF.gifv

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Edit probably not appropriate for the schad thread

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Discernibly Turgid posted:

Re: heart-stopping play, I was at the 1998 playoff game (Detroit hosting St Louis) in which Chris Pronger blocked a shot with his chest. That mountain of a man, coasting and fully upright on his skates, suddenly looked as though he’d come unplugged. He just dropped without any type of reaction.

Credit to Detroit fans (who, deservedly, rarely receive any) for both not cheering and staying eerily quiet until play resumed quite some time later. Seeing him taken off on a stretcher, followed by a PA announcement that his wife should make her way to the ambulance bay was disconcerting as hell.

I was running the score board at the Roadrunners game in 2016 when Craig Cunningham just dropped to the ice for no reason during warm up. It scared the poo poo out of everyone there.
https://www.the50athletes.com/craig-cunningham/

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Groinârea accident.

:lol:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Groinârea accident.

Lol

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Soul Dentist posted:

Technically you need to stay dead to have died. A non-beating heart isn't death. Everyone who is dead has no pulse, but not all without a pulse are dead. I hate this constant disrespect of death

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ok but why would a mod post a heart-stopping tackle here in the schadenfreude thread

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Because nothing tastes as schadenfreude as the look from the newly educated when you're a besserwisser

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Discernibly Turgid posted:

Armacham posted:

I was running the score board at the Roadrunners game in 2016 when Craig Cunningham just dropped to the ice for no reason during warm up. It scared the poo poo out of everyone there.
https://www.the50athletes.com/craig-cunningham/

I was there when Jiri Fischer had cardiac arrest on the bench and they postponed the game for several months (he survived but didn't play again).

Goons shouldn't attend hockey games, apparently.

Zero One has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

If I wanted to see heart-stopping tackle I'd drop my trousers and look in the mirror :biglips: