Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arivia posted:

ira glass has the highest body count of any serial killer

today, on this american life, the story, of an ordinary radio host. much like, the one you're listening to right now. who discovered he had, an extraordinary power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'm an Android person, my wife needs a new iPhone. She has a SE (2nd gen) now and had a SE (1st gen) before. She prefers small phones. I see the 13 mini was discontinued last fall, would it be safe to assume that it would continue to get software and security updates for 3+ years still if I were to buy one now? Should I just get her the 2022 SE? (Main reason I'm considering the 13 vs the new SE is the U1 chip for better airtag use)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The SE 2022 and the 13 have the same CPU so they'll probably have the same support life, almost certainly another three years at least. The 13 mini is a nicer phone in every other way (smaller chassis with a slightly bigger OLED screen, much better camera).

The current SE is pretty much identical to the 2020 version except it has noticeably better battery life.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tyro posted:

I'm an Android person, my wife needs a new iPhone. She has a SE (2nd gen) now and had a SE (1st gen) before. She prefers small phones. I see the 13 mini was discontinued last fall, would it be safe to assume that it would continue to get software and security updates for 3+ years still if I were to buy one now? Should I just get her the 2022 SE? (Main reason I'm considering the 13 vs the new SE is the U1 chip for better airtag use)

iPhones generally get software updates for at least 5, usually 6-7 years. The iPhone 8 only just fell off the support train and even then it's probably going to get security updates for a while yet. If you can wait a few months there are rumours of a new SE though that'll probably be a significant and cheaper upgrade than a 13. If not though the 13 is probably good for full iOS updates for another 3-4 years for sure.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Awesome, thanks to both of you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
13 Mini ftw

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Any idea what might have caused my 11 pro to not back itself up since the start of the month? It’ll back up direct to iTunes via a cable, but no joy with either automatic or manual backups to iCloud.
Plenty of space on iCloud, phones up to date, powered and on Wi-Fi etc. No obvious cause I can see.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I moved over to the pro line but;

this

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Where to buy a 13 mini though? Apple stopped selling them when the iPhone 15 came out in September 2023.

Actually lol Amazon will still sell you a locked one in Cricket wireless for $729. They actually have plenty of options in terms of size and color.

Apple iPhone 13 Mini (128GB, Starlight) [Locked] + Carrier Subscription https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G956B1Y

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Where to buy a 13 mini though? Apple stopped selling them when the iPhone 15 came out in September 2023.

Actually lol Amazon will still sell you a locked one in Cricket wireless for $729. They actually have plenty of options in terms of size and color.

Apple iPhone 13 Mini (128GB, Starlight) [Locked] + Carrier Subscription https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G956B1Y

Swappa.

New in box 13 Minis are prob gone or mostly gone at this point.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My 15 Pro slipped out of my pocket the other day when I was standing up and slid across a rough floor, scuffing the poo poo out of the edges and putting a deep scratch right in the middle of the fuckin' screen.

Anybody have some experience with Whitestone Dome Screen Protectors I'm seeing on youtube and amazon that say they can hide scratches like this? Did you like it? What happens if and when you want to remove it, how sturdy is the adhesive/how can you remove it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Soul Glo posted:

My 15 Pro slipped out of my pocket the other day when I was standing up and slid across a rough floor, scuffing the poo poo out of the edges and putting a deep scratch right in the middle of the fuckin' screen.

Anybody have some experience with Whitestone Dome Screen Protectors I'm seeing on youtube and amazon that say they can hide scratches like this? Did you like it? What happens if and when you want to remove it, how sturdy is the adhesive/how can you remove it?

You don't have Apple Care? Ouch.

Don't get me wrong, i don't blame you for trying to save money, that poo poo costs a lot. Check and see if you're still in the window to get it added on, though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mister Facetious posted:

You don't have Apple Care? Ouch.

Don't get me wrong, i don't blame you for trying to save money, that poo poo costs a lot. Check and see if you're still in the window to get it added on, though.

I have applecare but they arent gonna replace a screen for a scratch per what I’ve read.

And in either case the whitestone protectors are 2 for $30 on amazon which is line with screen protectors ive bought in the past

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

For real what would stop you from just dropping the phone yourself and smashing the screen more for a replacement huh?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I would simply live with the scratch and keep my AppleCare for if I actually break it in an accident.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Skeezy posted:

For real what would stop you from just dropping the phone yourself and smashing the screen more for a replacement huh?

be sure to do this at the apple store after they tell you they won't replace it for a scratch. that way they'll know it's really busted

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Soul Glo posted:

I have applecare but they arent gonna replace a screen for a scratch per what I’ve read.

They will unless you’re being extremely neurotic about a very minor mark. If it’s damaged, they’ll do it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Well for one, you'd have to live the rest of your life knowing you dropped your phone on purpose. I don't know how someone would live with this tbh.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

What kind of case were you using?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Arivia posted:

ira glass has the highest body count of any serial killer

What?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Unbreakable movie reference

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

smackfu posted:

Walmart has used/renewed iPhone 13 minis on sale for $350. Condition gonna be a crapshoot most likely but they do have 90 day return policy.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Restored-Apple-iPhone-13-Mini-Carrier-Unlocked-128GB-Blue-Refurbished/558978516

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

We were joking about people being lulled to sleep and then dying due to radio/podcasts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Glass is a prominent radio host in the US known for his sleep-inducing voice.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My sister listens only to NPR on road trips. I’m never the driver for those but I don’t know how she stays awake. It might as well be a lullaby.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I follow an MLB team on the News app and I got live Dynamic Island scores from a spring training game today without the sports app installed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

I follow an MLB team on the News app and I got live Dynamic Island scores from a spring training game today without the sports app installed.

News and Apple TV apps sync favorite teams. The score is actually coming from the former.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My wife partially bricked her phone (SE 2020) by getting it wet last night. She didn't have a recent backup (we're just gonna pay for iCloud from now on, so this shouldn't be a problem in the future). The only real loss is photos, so if it's reasonable to get them off without spending $500 or more, I'd like to.

It was under 10% battery when it died. After we plugged it in, it showed the low battery icon for a little bit, then apple logo, then nothing, and it's been nothing since. Plugging it into my MacBook, Finder recognizes it as being in recovery mode, but can't install the update, giving error 4013, which from googling seems to be generically a "communication error", so, maybe that tells me that we're SOL. I tried Disk Drill, but it won't recognize the phone at all.

Obviously it's not all dead, and it's probably even recoverable with a service that's gonna crack it open and resolder stuff, but that's :homebrew: and it's just photos.

Is there anything else I should try (rice, software, cheap recovery services) that could work? It's not super time-sensitive, she's got a new phone. I'm comfortable getting my hands dirty on the command line, for reference.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Let that thing dry out more before trying to use it. Use rice or whatever if you want to hurry it up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rice has been proven to have no effect so don't bother, might as well leave it on the counter.

If it gets worse over time it means the corrosion that happens as water dries has started severing circuits. Or plugging it in caused a short because it wasnt totally dry yet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

more falafel please posted:

My wife partially bricked her phone (SE 2020) by getting it wet last night. She didn't have a recent backup (we're just gonna pay for iCloud from now on, so this shouldn't be a problem in the future). The only real loss is photos, so if it's reasonable to get them off without spending $500 or more, I'd like to.

It was under 10% battery when it died. After we plugged it in, it showed the low battery icon for a little bit, then apple logo, then nothing, and it's been nothing since. Plugging it into my MacBook, Finder recognizes it as being in recovery mode, but can't install the update, giving error 4013, which from googling seems to be generically a "communication error", so, maybe that tells me that we're SOL. I tried Disk Drill, but it won't recognize the phone at all.

Obviously it's not all dead, and it's probably even recoverable with a service that's gonna crack it open and resolder stuff, but that's :homebrew: and it's just photos.

Is there anything else I should try (rice, software, cheap recovery services) that could work? It's not super time-sensitive, she's got a new phone. I'm comfortable getting my hands dirty on the command line, for reference.

Yeah let it sit for a few days and dry out. After that, there's a few things you can try. If the phone is out of recovery mode by some miracle, you can hook it up to your Mac and launch Image Capture to copy any photos.

Also, download Apple Configurator 2 from the App Store and try doing the recovery from there. Try the revive device from there. If that fails, then see if you can get the restore, erase all content and settings, etc. to work.

There's been a few times where I could not get a device to wipe correctly booting it to recovery and doing it through Finder. But, I figure up Apple Configurator and it does the trick.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m not sure what happened, but after my battery health being at around 84% for the last 6 months or so, I just checked today and it’s dropped to 80%. Is that “free replacement battery under AppleCare” territory?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Arivia posted:

We were joking about people being lulled to sleep and then dying due to radio/podcasts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Glass is a prominent radio host in the US known for his sleep-inducing voice.

iPhone: stay with us

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m not sure what happened, but after my battery health being at around 84% for the last 6 months or so, I just checked today and it’s dropped to 80%. Is that “free replacement battery under AppleCare” territory?

It could be. I would try recalibrating it first just in case.

You can also call Apple and they can run a remote diagnostic as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

American McGay posted:

I would simply live with the scratch and keep my AppleCare for if I actually break it in an accident.

You realize you can use it unlimited times for accidental damage, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Technically yes, but no more than twice in 12 months.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Technically yes, but no more than twice in 12 months.

Recent AppleCare updates changes it from two incidents a year to unlimited.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've had my 15 pro for a bit now and I've settled on two things I really don't like about it: it's very heavy for a phone of its size, and the lack of a bezel of any sort means it accidentally hit things on the screen edges constantly by the way I hold it. Never thought I'd miss a bezel but here I am.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

It could be. I would try recalibrating it first just in case.

Counterpoint: I don’t want to recalibrate, I want a new battery. 😎

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I've had my 15 pro for a bit now and I've settled on two things I really don't like about it: it's very heavy for a phone of its size, and the lack of a bezel of any sort means it accidentally hit things on the screen edges constantly by the way I hold it. Never thought I'd miss a bezel but here I am.

Heavy? What phone are you coming from. I thought the 14 Pro was heavy so the 15 is like really nice. Pretty noticeable weight difference too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought the literal only selling point of the Pro this year was that it was titanium and therefor considerably lighter.