Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're on the phone with IMAX so something went really wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Yeah some dumbass tried to show the movie a couple of days early!!! That's a big uh oh!!!!!!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Scarabrae posted:

Want a god emperor comedy smash cut of all the crazy ways he killed Duncan over millenia

Was a gas leak that time. The silent killer.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

They're on the phone with IMAX so something went really wrong.

suks to be yueh lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leto II gluing a little plastic dong to the side of his giant worm body just to see what would happen if someone notices is my favorite gag in literature

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Leto II gluing a little plastic dong to the side of his giant worm body just to see what would happen if someone notices is my favorite gag in literature

The ladies can't get enough when your monstrous, inhuman body has a nice little stick-on dong to complement the outfit.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Scags McDouglas posted:

It's not March 1st? Why do you get to be special??? gently caress YOU!!!

March 1st is just North America, I think? Opening tomorrow here.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's so loving good goddamn. Give me a whole movie on Geidi Prime.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
make sure you hang on to your worm-buckets. they are sure to be regarded as valuable collector's items.

https://x.com/LiquidHbox/status/1761951977070592266?s=20

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Movie was rad. :ibadpop:

However I do kinda wish they had done Alia a little differently. And I guess they cut Tim Blake Nelson, which is a bummer, because he's always good. It felt like Raban vs Gurney should have been a longer fit, but then again Paul vs Feyd happens pretty soon thereafter, so maybe it's for the best.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

There was also a special preview screening tonight.

The mad lad did it though.

a racist pole
May 16, 2015

it was a religious experience

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol though at (major spoilers) once again ending on a cliffhanger

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Lol though at (major spoilers) once again ending on a cliffhanger

gave me major Empire Strikes Back vibes

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they must be pretty confidant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The whole thing in my theater ended up being a half hour delay so they gave everyone free passes.

Austin Butler was good, the scenes on Geidi Prime made him look like an alien but his natural hunkiness showed through in more natural lighting.

I did like how they made sure to point out that Feyd was also close to being the KH.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I did like how they made sure to point out that Feyd was also close to being the KH.

This was one thing that never really clicked (by which I mean I didn't understand it personally) in the book for me, but it makes sense with the way it's portrayed in this movie. A lot of the middle of this movie was like that where it brought a lot of needed context to parts of the story that feel rushed in the book and Lynch's version.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Two more thoughts...

-More humor in this one. A lot.
-How did Chani learn to fly an 'thopter?

Oh yeah, that Furiosa trailer was rad as gently caress too.

deoju fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 26, 2024

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Lol though at (major spoilers)

On god?

I have a skeptical friend who understandably hates unresolved films. Across the Spiderverse, Dune Part 1, frankly I get it. Paying a ticket and not getting a proper ending. I had reservations about praising part 1 for this exact reason, but at least I knew where Dune was going, so I told him that he could go into this expecting a complete story. Is this movie not the full Dune book? Yes, I’ve read Messiah and know how things turn out. I’m just wondering if it actually feels like there’s a conclusion here.

Are we expecting something more like Empire Strikes Back (downer ending but a full story)

Or something like Across the Spiderverse (wherein we literally just stop the picture at X-hundred minutes)

Also welcome to Dune week everyone. I’ma be on that spice all week.

https://youtu.be/7AmeFr6GnZs

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 26, 2024

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Movie owned, extremely satisfied despite the reasonable and understandable changes. Favorite unexpected moment: the look on Gurneys face when Paul pulls out the ring and puts it on, and the shift for Gurney to straight religious ecstasy at that moment just like the fundamentalists around him.

ephori fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 26, 2024

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I absolutely loved it. It's an incredible step up from Part One, which was already a fantastic film.

I have one nitpick and that's them not having Alia be born in the film, thus not letting her kill the Baron. Her revealing her heritage to him and getting him with the gom jabar is one of my favorite moments in the book. Having Paul reveal the heritage was a nice nod, but I am bummed he just stabs him in the neck though

Otherwise flawless film, 10/10. They really don't make movies like this anymore, so it was a feast for the senses.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Otherwise flawless film, 10/10. They really don't make movies like this anymore, so it was a feast for the senses.
Big agree. So good.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Monica Bellucci posted:

Fremen Friday, it's a-comin'.

"Today is.... Friday.... in Caladania...."

:confused:

"SHOOT!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bugblatter posted:

why do metric countries get it first this is bullshit

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

why do metric countries get it first this is bullshit

there were advance screenings at select theaters in NA yesterday

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

On god?

I have a skeptical friend who understandably hates unresolved films. Across the Spiderverse, Dune Part 1, frankly I get it. Paying a ticket and not getting a proper ending. I had reservations about praising part 1 for this exact reason, but at least I knew where Dune was going, so I told him that he could go into this expecting a complete story. Is this movie not the full Dune book? Yes, I’ve read Messiah and know how things turn out. I’m just wondering if it actually feels like there’s a conclusion here.

Are we expecting something more like Empire Strikes Back (downer ending but a full story)

Or something like Across the Spiderverse (wherein we literally just stop the picture at X-hundred minutes)

Also welcome to Dune week everyone. I’ma be on that spice all week.

https://youtu.be/7AmeFr6GnZs

It is more Empire Strikes Back than Across the Spider-verse. it ends the same place as the original novel with one big caveat which leaves a character arc unresolved.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I agree with Dennis that the themes aren't really resolved without Dune Messiah

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Going to be hard for any movie to top that this year. Overwhelmed with how excellent that was.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Is it a foregone conclusion that we're getting big screen Dune: Messiah? Seems like this is going to be v succesful.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Petition to thread-ban until Friday night the filthy non-Americans and other special cases in here joyously declaring their experience. :patriot:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
This is one of those times I reckon you should invoke the amtal.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

BastardySkull posted:

Is it a foregone conclusion that we're getting big screen Dune: Messiah? Seems like this is going to be v succesful.

Dune was a box office success, despite being released in 2021. Part 2 only cost a little bit more, 190M vs 165M (which seems shocking given what has to happen in part 2!), and it looks like it's tracking to open at 1.5x-2x what part 1 opened.

Not a done deal that we're getting Messiah yet, but Denis and the cast want to do it, and Part 2 will probably be successful enough to justify it. I can't wait to see Messiah's Cinemascore :v.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They certainly made part 2 with the expectation that Messiah was going to happen.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
big screen god emperor

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

ram dass in hell posted:

big screen god emperor

Anime Children of Dune when

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
All the girls are gonna absolutely fall in love with Chalamet’s eyes in Messiah

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
About three quarters through the book now, and it's really amazing the degree to which Lynch's film has impacted the cultural perception of Dune as being weird, because the book itself is basically medieval fantasy with worms instead of dragons. Also watched the first movie again with my partner, who hadn't seen it, and it was interesting to really see how much intrigue was cut. It makes the script feel more utilitarian than I think was probably necessary.

Really hope the second movie has the gladiator fight, I want to see the Harkonnen planet in full party mode. Also curious to see if and how they handle the part where they all drop acid and mindmeld with each other.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Really hope the second movie has the gladiator fight

That scene is all over the previews so you'll have your satisfaction.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Dune was a box office success, despite being released in 2021. Part 2 only cost a little bit more, 190M vs 165M (which seems shocking given what has to happen in part 2!), and it looks like it's tracking to open at 1.5x-2x what part 1 opened.

Not a done deal that we're getting Messiah yet, but Denis and the cast want to do it, and Part 2 will probably be successful enough to justify it. I can't wait to see Messiah's Cinemascore :v.

I followed that link to another variety article that just released today: Denis Villeneuve: ‘Movies Have Been Corrupted by Television’ and a ‘Danger in Hollywood’ Is Thinking About ‘Release Dates, Not Quality’

quote:

Denis Villeneuve recently told The Times of London that “movies have been corrupted by television.” His opinion comes from his growing desire to make a movie without any dialogue.

“Frankly, I hate dialogue,” the filmmaker told the publication. “Dialogue is for theatre and television. I don’t remember movies because of a good line, I remember movies because of a strong image. I’m not interested in dialogue at all. Pure image and sound, that is the power of cinema, but it is something not obvious when you watch movies today. Movies have been corrupted by television.”

“Because TV had that golden age and execs thought films should copy its success?” The Times asked Villeneuve, to which he answered: “Exactly.”

Villeneuve has been quite open in interviews about wanting to make a third “Dune” based on Herbert’s second “Dune” novel, “Dune Messiah.” But he’s not intent to get “Dune 3” immediately off the ground. Villeneuve needs a break, and he’s not too interested in signing up for a project where the release date is pre-determined anyway.

“There is absolutely a desire to have a third one, but I don’t want to rush it,” Villeneuve said. “The danger in Hollywood is that people get excited and only think about release dates, not quality.”

he's right of course but I hope he doesn't poke the bear too much. that's basically a direct calling out of david zaslav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/charlesxholmes/status/1761843299814641765?t=SMXKs0jXOPsjaXnZlo4XCA&s=19