Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

They compromised. There's a hypothetical king or queen somewhere in the population but nobody, including the person in question, knows who it is.

United Earth legal scholars, working alongside Vulcan political theorists and attorneys, made the determination that no legal mechanism existed to transfer command of the Royal Navy away from the Crown. This lead to Parliament passing the Act of Succession of 2149, whereby the Perth Agreement was rolled back and absolute primogeniture ended in place of cognatic primogeniture. The Crown now passes to the "most suitable" son of the King. A parallel Act modified the rights and duties of the King of the United Kingdom to serving as ceremonial head and commander of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines and portraying Henry VIII in a living history exhibit at Hampton Court Palace, a title that can only be held the age of 55.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

LividLiquid posted:

I love it too, for all its flaws. Enough to help preserve it. It felt like the kind of show that'd really grow into its own Season 2 like Buffy did.

But, speaking of, it aired opposite Buffy and thus didn't stand a loving change. Genre TV fans already had poo poo to do then.

At least here in the UK it was on mega late at night on Channel 4, the same sort of slot as Seinfeld had (but that was on BBC2)
I'm talking 2am sorta thing

I have a copy on DVD

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Yep! His channel rules and y'all should subscribe. It's completely unmonitized HD restorations and nothing else.

https://youtube.com/@ODavies?si=ZArqWOIPHh3d2Lci

Neat, he has Farscape!

Edit: Oh, boo, looks like he ran into the obvious problem with a more popular show like that.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 22, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Farscape Blu-ray release looks far better than it has any right to look because they took the PAL masters for the upscale. It's significantly better than the DVD release due to the resolution and better compression on the Blu-ray.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He test uploads the originals of everything to Youtube to see if the content owners allow it to be used before he remasters them, but yeah. Every once-in-a-while they're approved, he posts his work, and it gets taken down.

He doesn't monetize the channel in any way, but I'm still surprised at how few times it's happened.

He also does some just because he wants them for himself, and I kinda' wanna' punch him for getting to watch DS9 in 4K.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Watching DS9 for the first time, never seen a Star Trek before. seems pretty good! Don't much care for this "Q" fellow.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

YggiDee posted:

Watching DS9 for the first time, never seen a Star Trek before. seems pretty good! Don't much care for this "Q" fellow.

Neither does The Sisko, he won't be in it much.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Yeah. Most pop cultural stuff about Q that you may have gotten by osmosis is from TNG, and to a lesser extent Voyager. DS9 is too badass for Q. He can't handle that smoke; he's going out to the Delta Quadrant to gently caress around with Janeway.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Him punching Q was him rising to the bait lol, why do people act like it was this massive victory.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Boxturret posted:

Him punching Q was him rising to the bait lol, why do people act like it was this massive victory.

Well, Q never came back, did he? Sounds like a win to me.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Q's not going back because the Prophets got on the phone with the Continuum and had themselves a little chat

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

YggiDee posted:

DS9 is an unusual place for a brand new viewer to jump in -- most people will already have a good familiarity with TNG and some knowledge of the original series before starting on the space station show.

It's certainly not a problem doing it the way you are; the writers made sure to include enough exposition and backstory to bring new people up to speed quickly. Just be aware there are going to be a few callbacks, cameos and crossovers that'll probably be lost on you the first time around.

Anyway, enjoy! And feel free to post your reactions as you go along, either overall or episode-by-episode, if you're so inclined. We love that poo poo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I assume he's better in the other shows but the entire episode he was acting like a lovely ex boyfriend who wouldn't take 'no' for an answer and can teleport. And is super hung up on Picard.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

YggiDee posted:

I assume he's better in the other shows but the entire episode he was acting like a lovely ex boyfriend who wouldn't take 'no' for an answer and can teleport. And is super hung up on Picard.

You perceive him accurately.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Boxturret posted:

The reality is it's not a very good DS9 episode or a very good Q episode (though I'd say it's "fine" for both, certainly better than Q's appearances in VOY after "Death Wish"), probably because it didn't start as a Q episode. As a result, there's no strong hook or desire for a "next Q story," and it also quickly becomes clear that the show doesn't need Q, so he doesn't return.

But reality is boring and sometimes it's more fun to say "Sisko punched him in the face and he never came back."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'll post of I remember to, but I'm going slow. I visit my parents weekly so I'm watching an episode or two each week with Mom, who originally watched it with my big sister when it was airing. So she'll tell me if there's any important context I'm missing, but also I have general Trek knowledge just from, like, cultural osmosis. Also I'm on Tumblr a lot so I know a lot of people think Garek and Dr Bashir should kiss.

Also I want Quark's shirts, he's the only guy on the main cast wearing anything fun. Like I get everyone else is in Starfleet but it does mean you just put on a beige or primary colour and call it a day.

edit: I feel like having the replicator replicate the soup AND the bowl is a bigger waste of energy than just. washing the bowl.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 26, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If mirror universe Vic Fontaine is a real guy, what is mirror universe Q? A powerless but likeable mortal with a full head of hair?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

YggiDee posted:

I'll post of I remember to, but I'm going slow. I visit my parents weekly so I'm watching an episode or two each week with Mom, who originally watched it with my big sister when it was airing. So she'll tell me if there's any important context I'm missing, but also I have general Trek knowledge just from, like, cultural osmosis. Also I'm on Tumblr a lot so I know a lot of people think Garek and Dr Bashir should kiss.

Also I want Quark's shirts, he's the only guy on the main cast wearing anything fun. Like I get everyone else is in Starfleet but it does mean you just put on a beige or primary colour and call it a day.

edit: I feel like having the replicator replicate the soup AND the bowl is a bigger waste of energy than just. washing the bowl.

DS9 was the first Trek show I watched start to finish, but I had seen most of the movies and a good chunk of TNG. You'll be fine. It won't matter for a few seasons but Worf is the loving worst..

Honestly, while shipping exists, they're not going to ship poo poo that can be replicated. Which means they're replicating dish soap. So no, replicating soap to clean the bowl isn't going to be any more efficient than just breaking the bowl down and reconstituting it every time. Plus it means they don't have to reserve space to store dishes for every conceivable entree. They have prepackaged rations for when they have energy shortages for a reason.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can imagine a future with space travel but I can't imagine a future without dirty dishes. it's weird.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

If mirror universe Vic Fontaine is a real guy, what is mirror universe Q? A powerless but likeable mortal with a full head of hair?

We are the mirror universe, so Q is Q

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

YggiDee posted:

aww my last DS9 rewatch was coordinated with visits to my parents' too, have fun! :):hf::)

The show starts strong but with a "leftover TNG" vibe to some early episodes (like most have said about the Q appearance). Near the end of S1 it kinda figures out what show it is, and by the end of S2 it's found a solid direction for the rest of the series. It's great!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sisko's hair indicates the transition from "fine" to "ok I can dig this" to "absolute greatness".

Also, a non-snark response about Q is that he exists just as much in the Mirror Universe as he does the Prime; he just chooses to spend his time in the good universe because that version of humanity has a hope of becoming more than what they are now, so much so that they even influence the direction of the evolution of mankind in the Mirror Universe.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Encounter at Farpoint was pretty short in the mirror universe.

Q: "Jean Luc Picard, I accuse humanity of being violent, warlike, and primitive. Do you deny it?"

Mirror Picard: "Uh, no, of course not. Can we move this along? We just found a new alien lifeform down on the planet and we're trying to figure out more efficient ways to torture it into providing for our every whim."

Q: "Jesus Christ, I'm never coming back to this dimension."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The nice thing about DS9 season 1 is it's short, yet they still manage to successfully get through all the first-season jitters and yet still have enough time for a few truly stellar episodes. Really the best first season you could ask for.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sir Lemming posted:

first-season jitters

Yeah, once they switch to decaf Raktajino everything smooths out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Encounter at Farpoint was pretty short in the mirror universe.

Q: "Jean Luc Picard, I accuse humanity of being violent, warlike, and primitive. Do you deny it?"

Mirror Picard: "Uh, no, of course not. Can we move this along? We just found a new alien lifeform down on the planet and we're trying to figure out more efficient ways to torture it into providing for our every whim."

Q: "Jesus Christ, I'm never coming back to this dimension."

Mirror Universe Far Point has Worf actually shoot at the viewscreen when Q appears on it and Picard chastises him for not using a bigger gun on it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
fired up Star Trek Voyager Elite Force recently and realized: shouldn't the Hazard Team be goldshirts and not redshirts?

yes i know red is a more dramatic color

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Cogenitor is like a weird mirror universe episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Watched Parallels tonight and had the thought that when the quantum fissure got poked and the hundreds of thousands of Enterprises started flowing in, the Q Continuum was probably hooting and hollering and giddily making bets on whether/when the dumbass humans would figure it out and unfuck things.

"...should we maybe intervene? this could be pretty b-"
"shut the gently caress up this is the most exciting thing to happen since the galactic barrier got created!"

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’ve been watching Enterprise and these characters just aren’t that interesting. I just watched the killer repair station episode early in season 2, Dead Stop. The show keeps painting Archer as this well-meaning do gooder but he did not hesitate to blow away the dozens of people being used by the computer after getting Mayweather out. Big Janeway energy. Also Reed is a Tory and he sucks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

fired up Star Trek Voyager Elite Force recently and realized: shouldn't the Hazard Team be goldshirts and not redshirts?

At least Elite Force 2 gives everyone proper branch colours within the team, like how Munro stays red because he's the commander, Chell gets yellow because he's an engineer, and Jurot gets teal because she's the medic, etc.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Honestly half the time it feels like you just get the colours based on vibes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I'm kind of convinced that security and engineering got the same colors unintentionally because two different people picked those colors and it was a whole "gold dress / blue dress thing".

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well otoh it makes sense that the people responsible for making sure the force fields and sensors and phasers work would be closely tied to the people responsible for using the force fields and sensors and phasers…

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Does anybody have an opinion on the packaging quality between the old single-season DS9 DVD sets and the newer complete series box? Looking on ebay, a complete set of the single-season boxes usually goes for ~$100 and the complete series box is ~$60. Is the packaging on the old sets worth the $40 difference? I'm always dubious of the quality of newer ultra-cheap DVD sets.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
"Bounty".

That sure is a B-plot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have the original early 00s sets and they look great imo but the thin plastic cases have a tendency to crack at the seams and the disc tray things inside are only held together with tape and stacked, which obviously doesn’t age well either. I’ve taken really good care of mine but they still have issues. Did manage to rip all the DVDs to mkv last year without any problem however.

On the other hand, I bought the newer Voyager series set last year and it came in one of those gigantic single-case sets where all the DVDs are layered together on plastic holders that are way too goddamn thin and don’t grip the discs worth a poo poo. Half the discs were just flying around inside the case when it arrived. So there’s that to consider too.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I bought the newer complete DS9 DVD set* four (?) years ago as a birthday present to myself, and one of the first things I did was take all the disks out of the original packaging (one of those one piece multidisk plastic things) and house them in an old CD folder. Even getting the disks out of the packaging was dicey; there were a few times I thought I'd break the disk. If you get one of the complete sets, I'd recommend doing this to save your DVDs from getting scratched.

* I am stubborn and refuse to pay for nineteen different streaming services. I still use DVD and will continue to do so because it's a far better deal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You folder/binder people sicken me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Bounty".