Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“Everyone knows fascism is bad except for the fascists”
If this were actually the case then the amount of fascists would constantly remain fixed and nobody would ever be converted towards fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Pulcinella posted:

I personally wouldn't just because I don't want to deal with having to prune a fan base that's half fascists (e.g. Warhammer).

nope

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

as per the gender stuff i posted earlier the contrast is really stark because the detective guys in the first season are both pretty unsubtle fuckups one of which ruins the entire case by reacting emotionally to a crime scene while the detective gals in the fourth season are even more emotional engage in even more fuckups but are still somehow framed as if theyre heroically struggling against the patriarchy as opposed to just being antisocial weirdos

there's an entire class of twitter addicted tv writers that are all nepo babies who went to the same schools and write using the same voice and basically suck rear end. they write protagonists who talk and speak like them and their friends, which if you're a male means you either do an impression of joss whedon or dan harmond and if you're a woman you write sociopathic girlboss characters with no social skills

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
we need franchises like warhammer and star wars to funnel fascists into unproductive discussions about which setting is more badass, rather than have them engage with the real world

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i mainly find it funny that a person could watch the first season of true detective and think that the message was supposed to be dudes rock

this is a show where a woman sexually assaults her husbands best friend to bully him into a divorce and his response looking back is yeah i dont blame her youre a loving prick and you deserved it

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Augus posted:

“Everyone knows fascism is bad except for the fascists”
If this were actually the case then the amount of fascists would constantly remain fixed and nobody would ever be converted towards fascism

Color me skeptical, but I don't think a hundred Starship Troopers direct-to-video movies is going to stop even a single fascist. :shrug:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

I personally wouldn't just because I don't want to deal with having to prune a fan base that's half fascists (e.g. Warhammer).

Okay then don’t you dummy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pulcinella posted:

Color me skeptical, but I don't think a hundred Starship Troopers direct-to-video movies is going to stop even a single fascist. :shrug:

no poo poo? drat someone’d better break the news to verhoeven that his movie won’t make the guy covered in swastika tattoos change his ways on the spot and become a monk. he might not take it well, tho…

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

do you think Donald Duck in Nutziland ended up doing more harm than good to the anti-nazi cause?

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

nazis in my walls man

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

i mainly find it funny that a person could watch the first season of true detective and think that the message was supposed to be dudes rock

this is a show where a woman sexually assaults her husbands best friend to bully him into a divorce and his response looking back is yeah i dont blame her youre a loving prick and you deserved it

lol wtf

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Okay then don’t you dummy
You're allowed to like painting your toy figurines, I just don't think it's helping stop fascism.

Augus posted:

no poo poo? drat someone’d better break the news to verhoeven that his movie won’t make the guy covered in swastika tattoos change his ways on the spot and become a monk. he might not take it well, tho…
Sorry for questioning the honor of the space bug movie. It's just that "Parodying fascism is a powerful message. It's just that it's the kind of powerful message that only works if you already agree with it and still manages to encourage the group it's criticizing" isn't a very compelling idea to me. It's lib poo poo, not much different than covefefe cheeto memes or the Daily Show/Colbert rally. But it seems no one else agrees so I will stop.

Trabisnikof posted:

do you think Donald Duck in Nutziland ended up doing more harm than good to the anti-nazi cause?
You mean the cartoon that tries to mock the idea of the master race... by drawing a Japanese imperial soldier with huge buckteeth and literally yellow skin? You would have been better off picking The Great Dictator

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Some Guy TT posted:

one of the lines of the shows is basically 'you need bad dudes to keep the other even worse dudes at bay', i don't think you're meant to identify with rust's edgy atheism unless you're a dumb edgy atheist

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There was a conspiracy to protect the guy from consequences but there wasn't a conspiracy to do the things he did

isn't one of the early points that there are so many children who disappeared from the religious schools that it's almost guaranteed that other high level people were in on the murdering and abuse

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pulcinella posted:

Sorry for questioning the honor of the space bug movie. It's just that "Parodying fascism is a powerful message. It's just that it's the kind of powerful message that only works if you already agree with it and still manages to encourage the group it's criticizing" isn't a very compelling idea to me. It's lib poo poo, not much different than covefefe cheeto memes or the Daily Show/Colbert rally. But it seems no one else agrees so I will stop.

why do you keep insisting on this point that the only two categories are “people who are wholeheartedly opposed to fascism” and “full-on fascists”. there are countless people who only have a nebulous understanding of what even qualifies as fascism. For a lot of people fascists are just The Nazi Party and they haven’t been taught to recognize fascist ideology if it approaches them wearing a different face.

Modern entertainment is plagued by this notion of “someone bad might misunderstand what I’m saying, so instead I won’t say anything at all.” It isn’t socially conscious to do this, it’s just covering your own rear end.

Augus has issued a correction as of 13:14 on Feb 26, 2024

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
You're not supposed to identify with Rust's nihilism at all. He's that way cus his kid died and marriage fell apart.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Yeah I thought it was the whole point, that Rust and Marty are wrong about the way they see the world and lying to themselves. I don't think Rust truly believes half of the stuff he comes out with, its a distraction so he doesn't fall apart at the (implied, I think?) reality that he was the driver who ran over and killed his own daughter.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Iron Claw was sick. Would love to see a similar treatment for the Harts.

Real good movie. As someone who didn't know anything about that family I was blown away to find out that the actual story was even more tragic than the movie made it out to be, and it was already pretty sad!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

I know I am late to Starship Troopers chat, but at this point, after seeing how fascists respond to Warhammer, Starship Troopers, Helldivers, Zeon in Gundam, loving Wolfenstein, etc. I just don't see the point in trying to satirize and parody fascism. Everyone else knows its bad and the fascists themselves are too dumb to perceive it. Plus they are basically huge fans of the brand. They love seeing fascism depicted, even if you are supposed to be laughing at it. They love seeing fascism win and love seeing fascism lose (because they get to be martyrs. Same with all the Confederacy fanboys. They love talking about the nobility of all the battles they fought and lost). They would watch a 5 hour black and white movie about a dude in a Hugo Boss outfit getting pelted with rocks.

Also, a lot of it basically falls into the trap of "you can't make an antiwar war movie." Starship Troopers is a fun and entertaining movie. Helldivers is a fun game. Gundam likes to say war and fascism is bad while also trying to sell you on cool fascist and non fascist war machines.

Lemme help you out here... Some things that are bad are also cool. War is like smoking in that way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

isn't one of the early points that there are so many children who disappeared from the religious schools that it's almost guaranteed that other high level people were in on the murdering and abuse

That's what I thought!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
a lot of people itt who are justifying the existence of recap websites/tv podcasts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

a lot of people itt who are justifying the existence of recap websites/tv podcasts

that is sus

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

You're allowed to like painting your toy figurines, I just don't think it's helping stop fascism.

how was the rally to restore sanity a satire? that was specifically the point where they dropped any jokes and they got lambasted for being unfunny and lame

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A lot of people will shamelessly share the opinion "I love Full Metal Jacket but turn it off after the boot camp scenes because it gets boring"

It doesn't matter how clear you make a message, there are going to be people who miss the point

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

Real good movie. As someone who didn't know anything about that family I was blown away to find out that the actual story was even more tragic than the movie made it out to be, and it was already pretty sad!

Yeah def. I've watched a lot of wrestling in my life but also not heard of the von erich's before seeing this. Guess it was from a era before Ive watched a lot of (90s to 2010s).

Zac Efron looked completely insane for the movie. Awesome performance too. I wonder if he juiced to get veins like that or if they tuned that poo poo up in post.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

the point in satirizing fascism is that fascism is pretty funny when you think about it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
art doesn't have to speak the exact same message to everyone and in fact probably cannot. that's because everyone's brain is a lil different. and isn't that fun?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

the point in satirizing fascism is that fascism is pretty funny when you think about it

Sorry bro, can't hang out and watch Dr Strangelove with you cus someone else might get the wrong idea.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm still mad about the first season of True Detective

Because I feel like there's all this stuff about a wider conspiracy at first and then later it's like nah it was just this one dude. There was a conspiracy around the one dude, but he did all the bad stuff.

The first few episodes of every season of True Detective hints and promises a bigger and crazier world than they ever deliver on. It's like being promised sex and a three course dinner and having that promise fulfilled by a bag of chips and a begloved handjob

I thought they did unravel the conspiracy and it involved a lot of debauched, rich people. Unfortunately, aside from punishing the actual killer, they can only publicly disgrace the main powerful family that was involved.

Maybe that's not what you were hoping for, but that's my memory of it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I thought they did unravel the conspiracy and it involved a lot of debauched, rich people. Unfortunately, aside from punishing the actual killer, they can only publicly disgrace the main powerful family that was involved.

Maybe that's not what you were hoping for, but that's my memory of it.

that is correct, the main reverend guy they were chasing in the original case is also dead by the time they're in the long-haired Rust times, iirc

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

(Watching the Great Dictator) I dunno guys, this Hynkel character seems to be on to something. Look at him dance!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Popy posted:

jodie foster is goated

She really is. I'm sad to hear TD season 4 might not be that good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

(Watching the Great Dictator) I dunno guys, this Hynkel character seems to be on to something. Look at him dance!

Lol

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Have none of you seen the Verhoeven quote where he says that he wanted Starship Troopers to be such an obvious satire that it drove insane everyone who recognized it as one because they would also know there were people who did not recognize it as satire?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

art doesn't have to speak the exact same message to everyone and in fact probably cannot. that's because everyone's brain is a lil different. and isn't that fun?

sounds risky to me. what if i think something is ftw and someone else doesn't (incorrectly)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the milk machine posted:

sounds risky to me. what if i think something is ftw and someone else doesn't (incorrectly)

ah gently caress i hadn't considered this. poo poo

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

lmao if you try to make anything completely new as a creator. There's no money in new stuff.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

You mean the cartoon that tries to mock the idea of the master race... by drawing a Japanese imperial soldier with huge buckteeth and literally yellow skin? You would have been better off picking The Great Dictator

no, I picked it on purpose. because you seem to be conflating all bad things into "fascism" and Donald Duck in Nutziland did make racist and homophobic/transphobic jokes to mock the Nazis.

do you think there were Nazis back then who watched it and went "hell ya, that's us!" or Nazis who watch it now and say "sure it is making fun of Nazis, but hey it also has a joke at the expense of queer people so I like it!"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

lmao if you try to make anything completely new as a creator. There's no money in new stuff.

i was watching the Hideo Kojima documentary last night and it's funny that the universal response he got when he first pitched Death Stranding to his team was "people won't like this because it's different"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If the fascists don't get the joke that just means you get to laugh at them twice
once during the film and then later on twitter or whatever when they're like "look at how cool this pro-fascist movie is"

like you can't stop people from missing the point, but you can make them really mad on the internet by telling them they're idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Eric Cantonese posted:

Very funny for how much capitalism likes to promote the idea that the all the money should go to the capitalists and not the workers because the ownership class takes on all the risk, they are very risk averse. The wealthiest companies are the most risk averse. Disney should be incredibly well equipped and financially able to withstand creating new things even if they flop, yet can only buy up and produce old ideas (e.g. flooding the market with cape poo poo and Star Wars). The more risk averse they are the faster they burn out currently financially viable ideas. Same in video games with GAAS or plastic guitar games. The more the rate of profit continues to fall the more they run that poo poo into the ground. Capitalism can't make new ideas, only strip-mine existing ones.