Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Gotta throw that wide net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

THE BAR posted:

Wow, Mr. Kvamm, not cool, those were his friends.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

McCloud posted:

Why the hell is vårdförbundet defending this lovely practice that costs a fortune every loving year?
I can understand the nurses here. To them it doesn't matter if the people working alongside them are employed or temps, all that matters to them is they don't have enough people to go around as is and someone going "We have to cut down on the temps because we need to save money" is directly going to contribute to their already crushing workload.

Obviously the correct solution is to actually give the healthcare system the money it needs to employ enough people and not rely on fudging the numbers by using temps, but lol, lmao if that ever happens with a bunch of neoliberal assclowns in power.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

When the hospitals don't use temps, the temp agencies will fire their nurses, who will then go work for the hospitals directly. At least, that's how it should go. In reality, it's gonna be slow, and the temp budget is not going to go into the staffing budget. Also the temps are gonna go do something else.

Implementing neoliberal contractor bullshit gradually is easy, fixing it is ...not. At Bane Danmark, they have entire departments staffed permanently by consultants. Same sickness, just way further progressed.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

THE BAR posted:

one thing which i noticed and am taking as a symptom of my rapid progression into grumpy old man is the tendency towards "dagblad"ification of NRK

the other day they had an illustrated listicle named something like "seven reasons masturbation is good for you" and they have videos where the thumbnail is youtube-style people making weird facial expressions

you're the taxpayer-funded public broadcaster for heaven's sake have some dignity

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Desperately trying to get younger readership.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Fruits of the sea posted:

Desperately trying to get younger readership.

... that is their mandate though. They are by law both expected to create content for everyone, and expected to deliver similar media as commercial actors

NRK Plakaten posted:

[...]
c. NRK skal kunne formidle samme type
tilbud som også tilbys av kommersielle
aktører, men bør etterstrebe å tilføye sitt
tilbud et element av økt samfunnsverdi i
forhold til det kommersielle tilbudet.

[...]

e. NRK skal tilby nyheter, aktualiteter og
kulturstoff for både smale og brede
grupper. Tilbudet skal gjenspeile det
mangfoldet som finnes i befolkningen.
Blant annet skal NRKs samlede tilbud
appellere til alle aldersgrupper.

[...]

Showing sex ed to teenagers/young adults without having a commercial interest in it is a pretty good thing imo

You two sound like the people who were opposed to P3

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Denmark drops its Nord Stream investigation, concluding that it was definitely sabotage, but that there's no basis for prosecuting a criminal case. Ladies and gentlemen, the rules-based international order.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Boys will be boys!

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

That sounds like the conclusion to the majority of criminal investigations, though? Something definitely happened, there are strong suspicions of who did it, but insufficient evidence to prosecute.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

SplitSoul posted:

Denmark drops its Nord Stream investigation, concluding that it was definitely sabotage, but that there's no basis for prosecuting a criminal case. Ladies and gentlemen, the rules-based international order.
Germany is a member of NATO and was attacked. You would think that NATO countries would want to prosecute the country or group who committed this act of terrorism given who the suspects are. I've been told that Denmark, Norway and Sweden were not involved in this event nor in any kind of coverup.

Jon Pod Van Damm fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 26, 2024

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Inferior Third Season posted:

That sounds like the conclusion to the majority of criminal investigations, though? Something definitely happened, there are strong suspicions of who did it, but insufficient evidence to prosecute.

We're just powerless to prosecute one of the largest acts of industrial sabotage in history and a massive environmental disaster, it's a real whodunnit.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

NATO posted:

The principle of collective defence is at the very heart of NATO’s founding treaty. It remains a unique and enduring principle that binds its members together, committing them to protect each other and setting a spirit of solidarity within the Alliance.

NATO Treaty Article 5 posted:

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security .

I guess it's open season on pipelines in Europe, lol :getin:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

DR got some "expert" to say he still thinks it was the Russians themselves who bombed their leverage.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

lol brb

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anders posted:

... that is their mandate though. They are by law both expected to create content for everyone, and expected to deliver similar media as commercial actors

Showing sex ed to teenagers/young adults without having a commercial interest in it is a pretty good thing imo

I'm not opposed, just really sad watching print and news media struggle and mostly fail to get the attention of said younger readership. Although I don't know NRK's numbers, maybe they are having some success

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
NordStream is hilarious.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I'm not opposed, just really sad watching print and news media struggle and mostly fail to get the attention of said younger readership. Although I don't know NRK's numbers, maybe they are having some success

the gov killed off medienorge, so the numbers are more obfuscated now but the newspapers report their readership numbers at medietall.no

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Grimson posted:

the gov killed off medienorge, so the numbers are more obfuscated now but the newspapers report their readership numbers at medietall.no

Neat, thanks! I love the seasonal Yr pattern :3:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Germany is a member of NATO and was attacked. You would think that NATO countries would want to prosecute the country or group who committed this act of terrorism given who the suspects are. I've been told that Denmark, Norway and Sweden were not involved in this event nor in any kind of coverup.
In what world was Germany attacked? The bombings happened within the Danish and Swedish EEZ.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
EEZ NUTS

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In what world was Germany attacked? The bombings happened within the Danish and Swedish EEZ.

The pipeline is German infrastructure.

quote:

Myndighederne kan på baggrund af efterforskningen konkludere, at der var tale om forsætlig sabotage af gasledningerne

Just stellar police work. Thank God they finally confirmed the facts:

• It happened
  • Someone did it
  • It was on purpose

Nothing more to see here.

Esran fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 26, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Esran posted:

I will never grant Germany territorial rights in Danish waters, no matter how much money they spent.

If we have to accept the notion that ownership counts, it was an attack on Russia, seeing as Russia owns 51% while the remainder is shared by Germany, France, and the Netherlands. Or in the maximalist interpretation, it was an attack on Denmark, Sweden, Russia, France, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Esran posted:

Nope.

Swiss.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord_Stream_AG

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's rather pointless anyway, it's definitely an attack on NATO members. As for who did it, it's either Russia, in which case it's major geopolitics and it's not like the rules count anyway in that case, it's all based on a weighing of risk and gain. Or it's a NATO member who did it, in which case what the gently caress does that mean? Either Russia is welcome to make a claim that everyone will ignore, or NATO has promised to attack itself, which is just stupid and not gonna happen.

Either way, it's part of the conflict between NATO and Russia, which means that any diplomatic solution can only be understood in the context of a cold war.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Not talking about where the company was incorporated.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I will never grant Germany territorial rights in Danish waters, no matter how much money they spent.

If we have to accept the notion that ownership counts, it was an attack on Russia, seeing as Russia owns 51% while the remainder is shared by Germany, France, and the Netherlands. Or in the maximalist interpretation, it was an attack on Denmark, Sweden, Russia, France, Germany, and the Netherlands.

That's not what I mean. I'm not saying the site of the attack was in some way German land.

The pipeline belonged to, and directly benefited, Russia, Germany and a number of other countries.

I think it's fair to say that an attack on the pipeline is an attack on those countries.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The funny thing is that it was purely symbolic as the pipelines weren’t properly in use, and I don’t think it meaningfully changed anything in the long run.

If it hadn’t happened, German politicians would still be stuck regretting decommissioning all the nuclear power plants and the Baltic/Scandinavian news cycles were already hysterical about Russia before the event

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The funny thing is that it was purely symbolic as the pipelines weren’t properly in use, and I don’t think it meaningfully changed anything in the long run.

If it hadn’t happened, German politicians would still be stuck regretting decommissioning all the nuclear power plants and the Baltic/Scandinavian news cycles were already hysterical about Russia before the event
It getting destroyed closed off the possibility of Germany even attempting a separate peace. which was probably the point.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh, yeah that’s plausible.

Germany had already ditched their minister of defense in favor of Pistorius that year. He started off really hawkish, judging from that choice, I don’t think the government needed an extra push.but it got it anyways! :v:

E: please correct me if I got my timelines wrong

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 26, 2024

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Anders posted:

their mandate is to reach every age group, but nrk.no seems to be increasingly chasing teens and the infantilised ideal of a ~25 year old to the detriment of literally everything else. every article is either written in some dimwitted ~true crime~ voice, made into a worthless image-scrolling or is just so dumbed down to the point where the actual story is only half-correct. at this point, the only worthwhile part of their website is the live NTB news ticker on top.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NordStream getting destroyed and shut down is a net positive, there's no reason to dig into why or who.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

NordStream getting destroyed and shut down is a net positive, there's no reason to dig into why or who.
Yes there is. We need to honor these heroes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's kinda interesting if the Americans did it, because it shows how little they care about even their allies. Also interesting if the Russians did it, but mostly because it's a 7D chess move that has essentially no benefits for the country controlling the gas supply in the first place.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the norwegian state is secretly very thankful for the sabotage

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The wreckage of the Estonia, controlled by the ghost of Olof Palme, did Nordstream/11. Prove me wrong!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mr. President, sir, I dislike Germans as much as the next guy, but what about the climate impact?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think there is a substantial public interest in getting to the bottom of the largest act of industrial sabotage in recent history

and:

Anders posted:

while i'm in principle in favour of an honest-to-god broadcasting monopoly like ye olde days i recognise that advances in technology have made that an impossible vision. granted this, i can live with nrk having content which i find annoying if that content is gated to channels with which i do not have to interact. what's happening to nrk.no is just the public broadcaster capitulating to the structural race to the bottom of contemporary media sphere, somehow being more vulgar than the mean and chasing the profile of a newspaper which is not even trusted as a news source by its own readers

it's bad op

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

NRK’s incessant chase for young audiences has even P2 playing some poo poo about Mr Beast and youtuber drama on the radio in Studio 2 as we speak. gently caress everything about this

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Itt old men yelling at clouds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Politiken managed to describe the genocide as "The Hamas-Gaza War" today. It's pretty incredible how bad the media is here.