Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn’t most of the ‘collectors’ market for game/toy stuff fake anyway? With the grading company conspiring to make people think it’s worth a ton and no actual volume of sales at those prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That even gets a bit into the details, with the whole thing that Stinky Pete is the only one of the set that's still in the box because his toys never sold well, while the main character Woody is the hardest to find because they were actually played with. And Al also even gets a professional in to fix up Woody to be display grade, who even refuses payment because a remotely intact Woody is apparently such a rare find. Even then, it's a Japanese museum who wants his collection- likely most American ones already have a Woody, but they weren't nearly as common overseas.

Yeah I was only being mildly sarcastic, it's actually a pretty good representation of the Whole Thing :shobon:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn’t most of the ‘collectors’ market for game/toy stuff fake anyway? With the grading company conspiring to make people think it’s worth a ton and no actual volume of sales at those prices.

yeah the discovered that they could just do the same thing as Art collectors do, trade paintings back and forth paying more money each time to inflate the price and eventually sell it off for 9000% more then it was a few years ago to some new money rube who thinks $$$ art means better.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

wheatpuppy posted:

What if those trinkets were mint in box?

My Go Bag is stuffed full of mint condition Norman Rockwell plates, pogs, vinyl records from bands no one cares about, and the keys to a mint condition base model '99 Mustang.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Come to think of it, I'm finding it weird that these things are framed as expected and guaranteed future value, with people reacting with shock, anger and disbelief that their random crap isn't worth an arbitrarily large amount of money in the future, as if it was told to them with a total guarantee, despite being based on specific instances that are clearly outliers, like a comic that was made and treated as disposable cheap entertainment but happened to introduce a character who would become a massively popular pillar of pop culture. And it's not even new, look back at Beanie Babies. I'm also reminded of the meme stonks and crypto weirdos who are years deep in When Prophecy Fails.

The whole point of buying toys and keeping them mint condition to sell is that it's speculation, it's making a gamble, and the whole point of a gamble is that there is a possibility, often high, that you will lose. But people very insistently don't think more than one step ahead, or why those things became valuable beyond some vague cosmetic similarities. It's like that cargo cult capitalism poo poo that seems to be on the mind today, people performing the motions of what Success looks like to them without daring to question literally any of the assumptions around it, and only doubling and tripling down when it constantly fails.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I store mint in box nuclear secrets in my closet and it turns out their is still a healthy collectors market

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

at what point does it stop being cargo cult, we're all just wile e. coyote going through increasingly convoluted mental contortions to stop ourselves from looking down to the canyon floor we know lies miles below

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

8one6 posted:

NTA. If the kids couldn't be bothered to accept a loving zoom call from their dying grandpa then they deserve the trinkets they were left with.

Zoom call from a dying grandpa sounds boring af tho. likely to be a real bummer

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Maybe gramps shoulda offered money upfront for people to take his dying dude phone calls

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lmao what the gently caress

AITA for pretending to have an affair as a prank

quote:

Hey everyone,
I never thought I'd find myself posting here, but here goes. So, I (32M) decided to play a prank on my wife (34F) that ended up blowing up in my face big time. Let me give you the whole story.
About six months ago, my wife and I had a massive fight. I asked her to ease up on work a bit to help with household chores and childcare since I was exhausted from my own job. Well, that conversation turned into World War III, and we didn't talk for two weeks until I caved and apologized (even though I still think I was right).
During those two weeks of silent treatment, I cooked up a revenge prank. A few days before I apologized, I bought a second phone and the cheapest plan I could find, using my own money. I stashed it away in my man cave, set it to silent, and began sending texts and fake calls from my real phone. Whenever my wife asked about my phone activity, I lied, saying it was just friends.
I also started distancing myself emotionally. Less sex, more "boys' nights out" where I'd actually just wander around town doing my own thing. At first, she didn't seem to notice, but after a few months, she did. She tried to spend more time with me and our daughter, hoping to win me back, but I kept up the act.
Then came the tipping point. I "accidentally" left the door to my man cave open, and my wife overheard a fake phone call where I said "I love you" to the other person. I panicked and lied that it was my mom.

The next day, I’d “slip up again” and would leave my phone beside my bed and went to take a shower. I knew she’d most likely snoop through my phone if prompted like by seeing the screen light up from me getting a message, so I snuck in the second phone.

While I was in the bathroom, I sent a text to my phone about how I can’t wait to meet up in a few days and also a message about how my wife is so stupid for not realized what we were doing behind her back. When I left the bathroom, I could see that my phone wasn’t in the exact same place I left it, so I know she’s been through it.
A few days later, I pretended to go on another boys' night and drove to a motel, knowing she'd follow. When she burst into the room, furious, I revealed the prank. But instead of laughing, she left, taking our daughter with her and leaving me a note saying she's staying with her parents and wants a divorce.
Now, I'm getting bombarded with messages from friends and family, calling me an rear end in a top hat. They're all siding with her. I still don't understand why this prank went so wrong. So, Reddit, am I the rear end in a top hat here?

"hey reddit i decided to gaslight my wife in retribution for losing an argument, how come everyone thinks i did wrong here??"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"hey reddit i decided to gaslight my wife in retribution for losing an argument, how come everyone thinks i did wrong here??"

No honey I wasn't loving around it was a prank all along! Funny, right? Please come back!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

idk i feel like he posted that reddit post to show to his wife later as proof it was a prank and it was actually real?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mx. posted:

idk i feel like he posted that reddit post to show to his wife later as proof it was a prank and it was actually real?

:hmmyes:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mx. posted:

It's a great plan, since he's still a piece of poo poo either way!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Many years before my grandma died, my aunt had a huge falling out with her and wrote her letter that she didn't want to speak to her ever again, she didn't want a penny from her when she died, etc. Eventually they started speaking again, but no one ever addressed the letter.

Fast forward to after my grandma passed, my mom was executor. She had the fun task of informing her sister that the will stated she was to receive zero dollars, and had the letter attached. Needless to say it went over very poorly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

AnoHito posted:

It's a great plan, since he's still a piece of poo poo either way!

This is unhinged behavior and more reason for divorce than a real affair would have been.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

Zoom call from a dying grandpa sounds boring af tho. likely to be a real bummer

Zoom call from a dying grandpa sounds like a middle of the album Radiohead track that everyone initially hates but turns out to be an actual banger

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceClown posted:

Zoom call from a dying grandpa sounds like a middle of the album Radiohead track that everyone initially hates but turns out to be an actual banger

Grandpa calls you up on Zoom and turns out to be dropping bars.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

trickybiscuits posted:

AITA for telling my wife it’s her fault that our sons now hate and ignore their sister?

Thin-skinned OP went and deleted his account after being told that yes, he is not the arsehole for this specific thing, but absolutely *is* for letting this go on so long (and for not punishing his daughter for stealing her brother’s stuff).

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I tried to help my girlfriend's estranged brother and it was a mistake. I don't know what to do now honestly

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been together for a year and a half. I want to marry her. I was planning on proposing to her soon. But I have made a mistake. When we met I didn't know my girlfriend has a brother that she no longer speaks to. I found out that her brother has had issues with drug use and the last she knew he had been homeless and unemployed. This was shocking to me. I would never let any family member, especially a brother be homeless. In my family we help each other out no matter what. It wouldn't matter if someone uses drugs or even if they treat us badly. I was raised to always help your family - your blood - no matter what. It was shocking and appalling to me that my girlfriend didn't feel the same way. This caused arguments early in our relationship however I eventually let it go for now because I had an idea about helping her brother.

Six months ago I [34M] began looking for my girlfriend's brother. I purposely didn't tell her. She had told me that the last she knew he was in Canberra however he was not there. I had to hire an investigator and it took nearly three months for her brother to be located. I brought him here once he was located and told him I would help.

I wanted to show my girlfriend [31F] that she was wrong. When I found her brother I rented him a small flat and found him a job. I had been working extra hours to afford the flat. Although my girlfriend and I shared expenses equally we have not combined our finances. I was able to rent the flat for him and I helped him to find employment and set up a bank account for him. I also encouraged to stop using drugs and seek counseling. For his part he told me he wanted to stop taking drugs and was grateful for me giving him a chance after his family gave up on him.

I admit know it was a mistake. He has been terminated from his job for theft of money and other items and there is a police investigation. Moreover he has committed bank fraud using the account I opened for him and has opened a credit card in my name without my knowledge. The ADP is investigating him using and selling drugs out of the flat and I'm under investigation because the flat and bank account are both in my name. There was also a potential overdose in the flat. I was advised to hire a solicitor because I will likely be facing criminal charges even though I had no knowledge of her brother's actions. My girlfriend's brother is nowhere to be found now. My job is in jeopardy and my girlfriend ended the relationship last week after she found everything out.

We were together for 18 months and had lived together for six months. I wanted to propose and marry her. I now admit she was right and I was shortsighted in trying to help her brother. I realise I made a mistake but she was so angry at me. I know I deserved the anger and should have listened to her about his drug use and criminal record and why no one in her family speaks to him. I don't even care about the other problems as much as her leaving. I didn't know what he was doing however I've been pulled into it. I made a mistake and I realise that my own my family's way of always helping no matter what is wrong. I don't even know what to do now. Thank you for reading.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

EightDeer posted:

I tried to help my girlfriend's estranged brother and it was a mistake. I don't know what to do now honestly

ahhhhh this is making me fantastically angry

e: it's possible i know this guy. small fuckin world

Mx. fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 26, 2024

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

EightDeer posted:

Look, I know I was told not to go near the haunted house and touch the cursed bones of the dead serial killer in the basement buuuut...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EightDeer posted:

Hah, eat poo poo mate. loving dopey bugger, you deserve everything that's coming to you.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

8one6 posted:

Look, I know I was told not to go near the haunted house and touch the cursed bones of the dead serial killer in the basement buuuut...

I mean, my girlfriend told me it was a bad idea but what does she know? I'll show her!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

8one6 posted:

NTA. If the kids couldn't be bothered to accept a loving zoom call from their dying grandpa then they deserve the trinkets they were left with.

I'll rephrase this as "if the kids couldnt be bothered to accept a loving zoom call from their dying grandpa, then it shows how close they were with him and as such they can't complain when he left poo poo in his will to the grandkids that actually knew his name."

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

EightDeer posted:

This is the content I crave

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Wifi Toilet posted:

This is the content I crave

Just needs a ten-page thread derail on how it’s literally impossible for a man in his 50s to beat up a naive 20 year old to make it perfect.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Is this guy in Australia? He's in a pretty good position if he's in his mid thirties and can afford to rent an extra flat, even outside the capital cities.

Or was in a good position, I mean.

Shwoo fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 26, 2024

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

What have I been pulled into? Fantastic use of the passive there, bud.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BrigadierSensible posted:

I'll rephrase this as "if the kids couldnt be bothered to accept a loving zoom call from their dying grandpa, then it shows how close they were with him and as such they can't complain when he left poo poo in his will to the grandkids that actually knew his name."

Honestly it sounds like it was the obstructionist mother who screwed them over and either forbade them from accepting the call or manipulated them some other way.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

EightDeer posted:

Anyone have that story where a woman's stupid boyfriend and sister(I think?) tried this exact same thing with her dad and ended up assaulted for their "BUT FAAAMBLY!" thinking? IIRC they were trying to sue OP for not telling them of the danger her dad posed despite the OP doing exactly that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Honestly it sounds like it was the obstructionist mother who screwed them over and either forbade them from accepting the call or manipulated them some other way.

It's possible, but at 14 and 16 they should be plenty capable of getting on a call whether their mother likes it or not. I think if they actually wanted to talk to him it would have come up during them being upset about the inheritance, and definitely would have been worth mentioning in the post if it had.

EightDeer posted:

I don't care what the sign says, my family teaches that all places are places of honour and whatever is here deserves to be valued and commemorated. Now open this seal so I can prove how wrong you are to shun it

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Sorry about the whole running you over with a car prank. Why is everyone mad?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tenebrais posted:

I don't care what the sign says, my family teaches that all places are places of honour and whatever is here deserves to be valued and commemorated. Now open this seal so I can prove how wrong you are to shun it

:discourse:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Why do you not touch the stove?"
"It's obviously hot."
"No it isn't! I'll prove it by slamming my face into it as hard as I caAAAGH"
"gently caress you."
"Wait! I'm remorseful now!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm admittedly more spite based than average, but a race against time to disinherit some apathetic grandchildren seems like a delightful distraction from waiting to die.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People like him often grew up sheltered and have no concept that people can get so bad that they're a write off that will drag down anyone who tries to help them. We've had quite a few stories along these lines where someone blows up their life from an arrogant belief that they can help anyone.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm admittedly more spite based than average, but a race against time to disinherit some apathetic grandchildren seems like a delightful distraction from waiting to die.

I just watched Knives Out last night and honestly sticking it to your family at the end seems fun.

Although this happened before I was born, my great-grandparents on my mom's side apparently had a will that was basically "all my kids will figure it out!" What actually happened is a bunch of 40-50 year people lost their goddamn minds about furniture. Apparently one of them broke into the house, got the dresser or something they considered was theirs and left. 3 or 4 of the people never talked to each other again.

So my grandma's will was very ironclad. House and trust fund setup for one of her daughters that has disabilities to ensure she's taken care of, anything else was a 3 way split. Which after fighting cancer for a few years, was about 40 bucks.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

CitizenKain posted:

I just watched Knives Out last night and honestly sticking it to your family at the end seems fun.

Although this happened before I was born, my great-grandparents on my mom's side apparently had a will that was basically "all my kids will figure it out!" What actually happened is a bunch of 40-50 year people lost their goddamn minds about furniture. Apparently one of them broke into the house, got the dresser or something they considered was theirs and left. 3 or 4 of the people never talked to each other again.

So my grandma's will was very ironclad. House and trust fund setup for one of her daughters that has disabilities to ensure she's taken care of, anything else was a 3 way split. Which after fighting cancer for a few years, was about 40 bucks.

See, it's poo poo like this that really makes me want to just decline all possible inheritance when my father goes. I definitely don't want his house or anything in it, I don't want any of the bric-a-brac, and if I have to put up with my family and dealing with that stuff to get money, the money isn't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Electric Wrigglies posted:

But then they wouldn't be called to the executers office just to be told they are getting $0.15c from old mate's will.

may depend on jurisdiction but when i inherited from my grandmother (not a huge amount) the executor basically just mailed a copy of the will and then a few weeks later mailed a check for the amount (also a form to sign and mail back that basically said "yes i agree i have received my disbursement" or something to that effect)

that said i can't guarantee that was actually correct, since the executor hosed around and i think nearly went to jail over it