Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This has gotta be my closest loss. Oh my god.

I even had the Joker that disables the boss blind but Amber Acorn shuffles your jokers, so I had to play two hands before I could figure out where it was. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Darke GBF posted:

wait, there's a joker called Odd Todd? that's amazing

Odd ranks give thirty chips when scored.

If I get shortcut it's all over but the shouting.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Lol ride the bus not hide the box Jesus I'm blind.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Most games of Balatro are chill as hell. (part of its enjoyment).

Not this one.

Madness is Maddening. (every time you play a blind, it eats a joker, and adds 0.5x to its modifier). Easy to work around, right, Just buy dross jokers to surround it and easy peasy right? NOPE.

Got it up to 7.5x in my checkerboard run, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I thought "Out of all the jokers I have, I don't want it to select this one.", it got that one.

Negative Joker? CHOMP
Arrowhead? "oh, that looks tasty" CRUNCH
Stratosphere "Oh don't mind if I do". YUM!

and to top it all off, Thanos designed my final ante where it was completely balanced between four hearts and four spades. Through 3 discards, and a final hand. Now, I probably wasn't going to get past the "Casual Kill Screen" (the upping from 1 million boss to 7.2 million small blind), but still.

Have to walk away for a little bit from the game.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

SirFozzie posted:

Most games of Balatro are chill as hell. (part of its enjoyment).

Not this one.

Madness is Maddening. (every time you play a blind, it eats a joker, and adds 0.5x to its modifier). Easy to work around, right, Just buy dross jokers to surround it and easy peasy right? NOPE.

Got it up to 7.5x in my checkerboard run, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I thought "Out of all the jokers I have, I don't want it to select this one.", it got that one.

Negative Joker? CHOMP
Arrowhead? "oh, that looks tasty" CRUNCH
Stratosphere "Oh don't mind if I do". YUM!

and to top it all off, Thanos designed my final ante where it was completely balanced between four hearts and four spades. Through 3 discards, and a final hand. Now, I probably wasn't going to get past the "Casual Kill Screen" (the upping from 1 million boss to 7.2 million small blind), but still.

Have to walk away for a little bit from the game.

I actually doesn't even need to consume a joker to get the buff. I had a run earlier where my first joker was a Prismatic Madness. Only thing I used the whole run. Lost because the lass blind was the 1 hand one and I didn't pay attention and just threw out a high card hand as a discard.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Gotta say I’d have put in roughly 48 hours over the last week playing this game if I didn’t have kids. poo poo’s addictive

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy gently caress I finally won with the black deck. :bubblewoop:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Holy gently caress I finally won with the black deck. :bubblewoop:

:iit:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Holy poo poo the joker that makes spades/clubs and hearts/diamonds interchangeable got me up to ante 12 making hundred million points rounds.

Best joker I've found so far.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Just had a run with Anaglyph where I was bored of just stacking up Double Tags that I wasn't ever using, so I decided to blow them all at once on a Spectral Tag.

This, predictably, caused my deck to explode.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

Holy poo poo the joker that makes spades/clubs and hearts/diamonds interchangeable got me up to ante 12 making hundred million points rounds.

Best joker I've found so far.

It's so good!!! It was part of my most recent win with a plasma deck, along with the joker that gives +50 chips to all spades(/clubs), the hiker that permanently upgrades the chips given whenever you play a card, the one that gives more chips every time you play 4 card hands...and on top of that, I lucked out with both interest boosting vouchers and having such a good build I could waste a slot on the card that doubles your interest, so I finally unlocked the $400 joker.

This really is going to be the death of me when it comes out on mobile, isn't it :ohdear:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

This really should be an achievement

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:hmmyes:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Every Joker I thought was good becomes in insane liability as you go up to the top stakes. If it doesn't have a huge multiplier or chip addition you can't put it in your deck. All the economy cards become terrible when the blinds are so high that you can't possibly hit them without a full rack of multiplier Jokers.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MJeff posted:

This has gotta be my closest loss. Oh my god.

I lost an ante 8 blind by 48 dollars

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I learned you can do an ante 0 today.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Kuros posted:

I learned you can do an ante 0 today.

I really have to remember this menu exists, I don't know how many times I've completely forgotten what the boss blind is and made the absolute worst choices in the ship before.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Anaglyph + Negative tag = 12 jokers

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I had the baseball joker and 6 uncommon jokers and it still didn't scale fast enough for ante 11

It was really chips i felt that did me in. I had only odd todd for half the run and then swapped it for the +80 chip for flush joker. I did get hiker but too late for it to actually build.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

tfw you gently caress up your flush run on the last ante because you mistook a heart for a diamond 🤡
Skill issue…

My fear is mistaking clubs for spades because they look nearly the same, so I will always double check. At least heart/diamond has a slight color difference to me. But I've mistaken suits multiple times now and it costs you the whole run!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AlphaKeny1 posted:

My fear is mistaking clubs for spades because they look nearly the same, so I will always double check. At least heart/diamond has a slight color difference to me. But I've mistaken suits multiple times now and it costs you the whole run!

There's an option for "high contrast cards" in the settings that changes clubs to blue and diamonds to yellow.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Gonna need all these jokers added to smash on the switch 2, thanks

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My daughter who has never played a card game more complex than War watched me play this exactly once. She asked to play, so I gave her the Switch controller and she proceeded to dunk on the game with only minimal tips from me like "that pack lets you modify cards in your deck". I can't stress the low level of help I was giving - felt like I was watching a poker hustler at work. Like "Is this anything?" as she doesn't wait for an answer and plays a straight flush.

Maybe they're playing cards at lunch in 6th grade.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

LifeLynx posted:

My daughter who has never played a card game more complex than War watched me play this exactly once. She asked to play, so I gave her the Switch controller and she proceeded to dunk on the game with only minimal tips from me like "that pack lets you modify cards in your deck". I can't stress the low level of help I was giving - felt like I was watching a poker hustler at work. Like "Is this anything?" as she doesn't wait for an answer and plays a straight flush.

Maybe they're playing cards at lunch in 6th grade.

lol you’ve been cursed and blessed with that girl

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

A heart breaking way for this black deck run to end. I had been pulling ~100k a hand for the last few blinds, so when I saw the very large was 300k I felt good. I just needed 1 more Red Card of any type and I would have had it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

Does anyone have the Joker next to Golden? It's the only one I don't have collected.

Yeah, that Joker was the last one I needed too, and it was a real pain in the rear end to get. It's the Stone Joker, and I think you have to have Stone cards in your deck for it to even show up in the Shop.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Ugh, maybe it's because I'm really tired tonight but I can't seem to get the Anaglyph deck to work. It feels like a lot of the time, getting all these extra free double tags goes to waste. Any advice for utilizing it properly?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It's most worth skipping for money, poly and negative shop rolls, spectral packs, and free jokers.

Edit: I looked up the later challenge runs and that is some insanely cruel stuff.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 26, 2024

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Since you're the thread OP I'll assume you played the demo where anaglyph was the high-roll deck. Just pray for a good tag - and stack Double tags, either from skips or doing multple bosses without skipping. You can get 2 or more copies of the Double tag and cash them all in on one skip - Orbit tags can go crazy (+9 levels on Flush, yes please).

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Northernlion calls the anaglyph deck the Dean Norris deck which is not only an obscure reference that only terminally online people will get, the reference is also slightly wrong.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

the holy poopacy posted:

There's an option for "high contrast cards" in the settings that changes clubs to blue and diamonds to yellow.

oh poo poo i remember this from the demo, i'm gonna turn it back on

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
New dumb trick I learned: you can move Blueprint around while the score is being tallied to have it trigger on multiple cards.

Mostly I've been using this to bring Blueprint back over to Mime after the scoring so I can double up on Gold cards, etc. I might try dropping my speed next time I get it just to see what stupid stuff I can do with it at .5x speed.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

New dumb trick I learned: you can move Blueprint around while the score is being tallied to have it trigger on multiple cards.

Mostly I've been using this to bring Blueprint back over to Mime after the scoring so I can double up on Gold cards, etc. I might try dropping my speed next time I get it just to see what stupid stuff I can do with it at .5x speed.

What? I think that kind of stuff gets locked in the instant you hit play. I really don't think you can move it as things are getting scored, that would let you duplicate all of your other jokers if you do it fast enough, it'd be incredibly OP.

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023
Does anyone know if there's some advice for Blue Stack and above beyond "Don't get stuck with anything but a high flush or something like Kings over 10s for the first small blind and pray you get a good joker for your first shop that you can afford?"

Because that's the only thing I'm a bit sour on for the game. Like once you hit Green stake you basically need to get an RNG which let's you 1 turn the small blind and also gives you a decent Joker in the first 2 shops or else your run is over. I really feel like either the game needs to cut the chip score by 50-100ish for the first ante or add an additional choice in the shop...or else you're basically stuck re-rolling a run after the 2nd shop, at most.

Contrast this to Slay the Spire, which gives you at least a few chances to at least scramble against the 1st floor boss on A20.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Number go UP!

I just need to duplicate this 4 times and then if I can get tourmaline the run is HERE!

Edit: the run was not here

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 26, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Well, that's a win with Anaglyph, I guess? Very silly run, relying on the power of Madness and Threes of a Kind. Pretty sure I did some skips before I even got the first Double Tag, and then proceeded to never find anything worthwhile in the Tags again until the last Blind of the postgame to claim the $400 achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nemo2342 posted:

Wow dang. Best joker in game just got better.