Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Conversely I’ve never had to wait at CoCo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I just was unlucky then, m I was at the Leicester Square branch, apparently they also have a Bond street one in James Street.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Update, Coco Ichibanya was great. I had the pork katsu curry. It was nice to pick the spice level.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lady Gaza posted:

Update, Coco Ichibanya was great. I had the pork katsu curry. It was nice to pick the spice level.

It’s really good there. If I move back to London properly, I’ll work my way through the menu.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Going to make a note to try Coco Ichibanya, I've not had Japanese for a bit and just passed on Misato the other day.

Had really good pizza at Sodo in Walthamstow, they have a few more locations in Clapham, Bethnal Green and a pub in Hoxton, recommend the Wicker Man.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Asking on behalf of my wife - she’s planing a hen party for next weekend with 12 ladies. Is there anywhere around Holborn that’s a cafe with really good cake and seating for that many? That would be open on a Saturday morning.

Thank you!!

firstyear
Sep 9, 2009

MisterBear posted:

Asking on behalf of my wife - she’s planing a hen party for next weekend with 12 ladies. Is there anywhere around Holborn that’s a cafe with really good cake and seating for that many? That would be open on a Saturday morning.

Thank you!!

Not in Holborn, but I’ll throw it out there: the cafe at the Wallace Collection is a lovely place for tea and cake and should have plenty of space.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I tell you what, I had a really good full English at Greedies in southwest London.

49 South St, Isleworth TW7 7AA, United Kingdom

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I can second that, I used to date a girl in Richmond and that was our breakfast spot. I miss having a reason to go there.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm taking a course just at the top of Brick Lane for the rest of the week, is one of the bagel/Beigel shops better than the other?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Beigel Bake is supposed to be the one, though I'm going on rep, I've not managed to get there myself

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

All the real heads know the other one ("Beigel shop") is the better one for anything else other than salt beef, which is better at Beigel Bake.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Its Bagels in Primrose Hill has been all over my instagram. Anyone tried it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A 5 minute walk away is Rinkoff’s Bakery, who do delicious bagels, cronuts and more. My mum used to do their books, and they’d absolutely load her down with goodies every Christmas.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
As a North London Jew where I get my bagels from is like I get my challah from - there’s the place where they make the perfect bagel and then there’s the other places I wouldn’t step foot in or eat their terrible bagels… it’s the stuff of full on family schisms!

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

MisterBear posted:

As a North London Jew where I get my bagels from is like I get my challah from - there’s the place where they make the perfect bagel and then there’s the other places I wouldn’t step foot in or eat their terrible bagels… it’s the stuff of full on family schisms!

As a North London not Jew I thought it was Carmelli (Golders Green) for bagels and B & K (Edgware) for salt beef but I may be wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lloyddy posted:

As a North London not Jew I thought it was Carmelli (Golders Green) for bagels and B & K (Edgware) for salt beef but I may be wrong.

Both of these, yes!

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Lloyddy posted:

There’s also Daniel’s in temple fortune, bagel something in Hendon, Roni’s in various, my cousins’ bagel company (The Bagel Bakery) in various shops, and more I’m sure!

There’s a salt beef place in temple fortune I favour (though the kosher butcher in Market Place (intersection of Hampstead Garden Suburb and East Finchley) also does good salt beef I think) and the cheese shop is Muswell Hill does a very good Challah. I like a traditional chewy lye boiled bagel but I don’t eat them too often.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I am sad that there is so slim pickings south of river, I love a bagel.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
As a filthy tourist and repeat visitor, I can say Beigel Bake does awesome cream cheese bagels and the salt beef is also great.
Buy homestly, just go to both and compare.

One bagle for lunch, one bagle for dinner, then pick a winner.

Which rhymes and is therefore obviously the only correct option.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

There is so much great food to get in London, bagels are not amongst them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Why not? The bagels are great and part of the great food tapestry.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

I respect your opinion, however wrong it may be.

But the OP asked for bagels, why would we send them to Dishoom?
(Which is a 5 minute walk from Brick Lane OP, in case you suddenly crave indian food)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
They’re not the best bagels in town, but Happening Bagel Bakery on 7 Sisters Rd is certainly the closest. On Monday mornings we get onion bagels there for breakfast on the way home from school drop-off (used to be sesame but we switched).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Update on my lunching, Beigal Bake was great, might compare Beigel Shop's salt beef tomorrow. Also had steak from Salt Shed in Boxpark, not my first but still good, not seen anything new I fancied in there.

But I think London's mexican offerings are improving a lot lately? I just went to Taco Taco near Shoreditch and Liverpool Street (the bus stop outside says Shoreditch High Street station but it's not as near as that might imply) and was impressed with the £10 meal deal (midday to 3pm I think) Got the prawn tacos with mango, freshly smashed guac and tortilla chips and a nice can of fancy cream soda.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
At a loose end today passing through london, any recommendations for lunches in the vicinity of, or a few tube stops from, blackfriars station?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A jargogle posted:

At a loose end today passing through london, any recommendations for lunches in the vicinity of, or a few tube stops from, blackfriars station?

You’re very close to Borough Market, which is literally full of delicious places to lunch. Have a wander and a munch!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
My sense of location fails me again, will do!

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Borough Market does have a decent chunk closed on Mondays but not sure if that includes all the takeaway food spots and it's not the entire place. Benefit being it's also the quietest day you can go.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I used to work at Guys and St Thomas, and whenever I was over at Guys, Borough would be my port of call for lunch, hoovering up my pay.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Was a bit sad to see most of the stalls shut but did get a pretty decent pulled pork wrap out of a hole in the wall nearby, and successfully killed time in a nearby kitchen supply shop looking at knives, so thanks all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Passing through central London tomorrow morning and taking the opportunity to have breakfast at Dishoom for the first time in years. Very much looking forward to it. :toot:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Nice.

I finally made it to beigel bake last week. Lived up to the hype.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Whoever manages Dishoom is bloody good at their job(s)

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Any recommendations near Kings Cross? We'll be staying a few nights later this year and have no clue what's good

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

Any recommendations near Kings Cross? We'll be staying a few nights later this year and have no clue what's good

There’s a Dishoom by there! Have both dinner and breakfast. Also, King’s Cross is central London, you’re walking distance/couple of tube stops from everything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Passing through central London tomorrow morning and taking the opportunity to have breakfast at Dishoom for the first time in years. Very much looking forward to it. :toot:

Threw out my usual order and went for the Big Bombay. Might have made the wrong decision. It’s still good, but I don’t think I wanted this.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I'd eat it. But I would like more eggs and less beans

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tarbrush posted:

I'd eat it. But I would like more eggs and less beans

:hmmyes:

I ate it, but regret my decision. I always got the kejriwal (eggs on chilli cheese toast), and I should have had that this time too.

Also I went to pay with cash, only to be told they don’t give change. Like, no, you’re not getting a £14 tip on top of the service charge. The waiter seemed slightly put out when I took my cash back and took out my card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
That's... Bizarre. Why won't they give people change?!