Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Probably a problem with add-on focused design and base UI handling cast bars.

In FF14 you can always see the targeted boss(give or take healing, etc) and their action names and cast bars, especially their physical model cues(facing, raised arm, symbols, background errata, etc.) In a WoW council fight you'll virtually always be tunneled into your character's feet and the boss model and react as Spell Name Effect and Spell Visuals happen, or you get a big sound cue from your boss mod of choice. I won't say there aren't variances in both cases, but that's how it generally goes.

You probably couldn't have three FF14 style bosses doing multiple cues without implicitly endorsing add-on focused boss design. There are ways around it of course. Take a full fledged FF14 boss and cut them into 4ths, or greatly stagger their joint attacks. Hell, the most recent alliance raid has a duo boss that do this though there's a lot of tricks there(abilities staggered and simplified to avoid overlap of two disaster-tier abilities, being able to just see what fate ability is going on by your personal debuff, etc.) The enemy list hud element in FF14 is pretty good. But the gist I get is that FF14 demands a lot more intimate focus on a single point than WoW does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yeah i was definitely thinking in terms of alliance raids, where everything a boss does probably has a standard-issue orange marker, and the difficulty is mainly in them overlapping in surprising ways. i think you could do it in early-floor savage, though, just have it all be based on purely visual tells and debuffs

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's a couple of fights in the game where you're fighting two bosses with only one targetable at a time while the other one is on the side of the arena causing trouble, which is about as far as you can probably go for four-person fights.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

In the reworked ARF you're fighting two bosses at once for the first phase of the final fight, although their positioning is entirely irrelevant

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
IIRC there's several phases in Thordan Ultimate where you're fighting multiple guys at once. There's also O12. And Tower of Zot. And Nier 2 and 3. And all sorts of fights I'm forgetting about where party chat is filled with screams of "pull them away from each other."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GilliamYaeger posted:

IIRC there's several phases in Thordan Ultimate where you're fighting multiple guys at once. There's also O12. And Tower of Zot. And Nier 2 and 3. And all sorts of fights I'm forgetting about where party chat is filled with screams of "pull them away from each other."
And given that "pull the two enemies away from each other" or "look at your debuffs" are still mechanics that causes issues for PUGs, I don't think we're going to see anything more complicated than that outside of Ultimates for a long time. Not unless they dramatically overhaul how they teach newer players actual raid mechanics.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

girl dick energy posted:

Not unless they dramatically overhaul how they teach newer players actual raid mechanics.

Have been thinking about the New Player Experience a lot this time around, since it had been long enough ago (3-4 years) since I had played at all, that I felt like a new player.

I'm not sure I went through the Training Hall stuff last time around, but it at least does teach some basic mechanics. I feel like it should be expanded into more specialized guides for DPS/Tank/Healer, since in particular as a Healer/Tank - it doesn't really teach you anything about your actual job.

Seems like it would be easy enough to have one for say - Tank - that teaches to face a boss away from the party. Throw up something that cleaves a lot, and if you don't turn it around it kills your party and you fail. Could do that with most Raid mechanics. "Use your Mitigation before this Tankbuster lands". "After the Tank gets hit with a Tankbuster, Heal them back up to full, etc." "when you see these arrows, it's going to push you back - get close enough you don't go over the edge". Could do these for stack markers, "don't let the circles overlap" and some of the other common mechanics.

They could even unlock those Training missions when you hit lvl 30 and switch to your actual Job.

At any rate, before I do a dungeon in DF that's new, I always watch a video guide so I understand what the mechanics are, due to a crippling fear of being "the guy who causes us to wipe". Most of the time I probably could have gotten by without seeing a video first, but like - the bit in the 2nd Crystal Tower raid with the Orbs of different colors, and having to drag some of them to the circles, and others are Ice so you just avoid those, etc. - would have had NO idea what was going on at all. Also fighting - Cerberus? - with all that stuff about "if there are an odd number of players, or if it's divisible by three then....." like...."what?"

But yes - they definitely need a better way to introduce raid mechanics.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

noobs dying is awesome set dressing for players like me who have run this instance several dozen times and appreciate having the opportunity to test different skillsets, accommodate for new group deficiencies, and overall just having to adapt on the fly. I find that "fun"

Also sometimes I get totally owned by a mechanic on my first run, just so completely humiliated by it that not only do I have a weakness debuff for a min after being raised, but irl I also have a mental debuff because I was just so baffled by that mechanic I can't think straight. On subsequent runs I look out for that mechanic and especially watch for sprouts who get owned by it like I did. Maybe I'm weird but in those moments I experience something that could best be described as "joy"

Ivan Drago voice: "if we wipe, we wipe."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When I started I watched guides to all the normal trials and raids. Now I never do. Or I'll watch a guide later if there's something I haven't figured out after a few tries.

The game mostly uses mechanics in very consistent ways, and eventually it just sort of clicks and you can predict what something you've never seen will do. Cast names are key so I recommend moving the target cast bar UI element somewhere you'll naturally be looking.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Out of the whole organisation, only you, a second adventurer who you might have met (the guy with the x warpaint on his face) and Minfilia are Echo users.

This was bugging me through most of Stormblood: who is that guy with the face paint? (Arenvald, I think?) He just kind of showed up out of nowhere and everyone's acting like he's been there the entire time and is important. I don't remember having ever seen him, let alone care who he is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tempest_56 posted:

This was bugging me through most of Stormblood: who is that guy with the face paint? (Arenvald, I think?) He just kind of showed up out of nowhere and everyone's acting like he's been there the entire time and is important. I don't remember having ever seen him, let alone care who he is.
The TL;DR is that he's another adventurer/Scion with the Echo, but it's weaker than yours and he's kind of got a complex because of it.

Woodywoo01
Jan 15, 2019
Hit credits for Heavensward.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I feel that the last third was a bit disjointed.

Why did the pope want to go to Azys Lla? He was already a primal and had the 2nd Nidhogg eye. I can only presume it's the Warring Triad that were briefly mentioned, but it's not quite clear to me yet. The final fight is quite quick and easy as well, Ascian Prime was longer. Maybe I just got grouped with strong players

Also, the empire kind of felt shoehorned in. They and the emperor are mentioned a couple times beforehand, but it felt like they were just they to set up later quest lines/stormblood

Other than that, a much-needed improvement over ARR.

Finally, wow the DK lvl 56-60 job quests are good. Ignore what I said earlier, their're easily just as good as, if not better than, the lvl 30-50 quests. The relationship and development between Sid and Rielle was great, and the theming of Dark knights and what they represent, harnessing emotions and making sacrifices to protects the ones they care about, just works so well. Who knew that the most knowledgeable beings about darkness would be moogles .

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Woodywoo01 posted:

Hit credits for Heavensward.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I feel that the last third was a bit disjointed.

Why did the pope want to go to Azys Lla? He was already a primal and had the 2nd Nidhogg eye. I can only presume it's the Warring Triad that were briefly mentioned, but it's not quite clear to me yet. The final fight is quite quick and easy as well, Ascian Prime was longer. Maybe I just got grouped with strong players

Also, the empire kind of felt shoehorned in. They and the emperor are mentioned a couple times beforehand, but it felt like they were just they to set up later quest lines/stormblood

Other than that, a much-needed improvement over ARR.

Finally, wow the DK lvl 56-60 job quests are good. Ignore what I said earlier, their're easily just as good as, if not better than, the lvl 30-50 quests. The relationship and development between Sid and Rielle was great, and the theming of Dark knights and what they represent, harnessing emotions and making sacrifices to protects the ones they care about, just works so well. Who knew that the most knowledgeable beings about darkness would be moogles .

He's explicit that he's going to absorb the warring triad to superpower himself above what the eye provides. The aether from them would make him bahamut from dalamud level powerful. The fight is super easy because players are waaaay overgeared. I suggest, in the future, you grab a group of goons and run end of expac dungeon/final trial minimum ilevel. They have restricted some of the future final dungeon ilevels to stop this type of damage creep.

The empire has a lot of interest in Azys Lla because of all the allagan technology/weapons plus the ability to control primals. There's a lot of stuff there that directly fits into the mission of the empire.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tempest_56 posted:

he's a regular at the Scion HQ and you can talk to him to get his story and that of his buddies through the 2.0 MSQ, but it's easily missable (you basically have to talk to all these random NPCs without quests after every MSQ step)

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 26, 2024

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
You should definitely be checking in with the minor Scions every once in a while. They're great.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Haha

quote:

Y'shtola: Smidley. I see you and Alphinaud are safe. And...and Cid.

drat, poor Cid just got immolated.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

HaB posted:

At any rate, before I do a dungeon in DF that's new, I always watch a video guide so I understand what the mechanics are, due to a crippling fear of being "the guy who causes us to wipe". Most of the time I probably could have gotten by without seeing a video first, but like - the bit in the 2nd Crystal Tower raid with the Orbs of different colors, and having to drag some of them to the circles, and others are Ice so you just avoid those, etc. - would have had NO idea what was going on at all.
If watching/reading a guide beforehand helps calm your anxiety about going into duties, by all means continue doing so. The game and community, generally speaking as there are always assholes floating around still, are accepting of people going into things blind if you'd like to do that instead though. Boss mechanics usually get introduced slowly and in non-lethal ways before the fight ramps up and starts layering the mechanics; it's okay to get hit by the early mechanics as long as you're learning what's going on. If your group happens to wipe, it's a 20-30 second run back and then you try again using the knowledge you've gained from the fight before wiping. Not a big deal.

There are weird mechanics during ARR as you've noted but generally they don't mean much anymore and nothing like that will come up again. In that Syrcus Tower boss, if you don't bring a lightning orb to the tower then some people take like 200 damage. Fight design gets much better after ARR and the things you learn carry over more to other fights.

Tempest_56 posted:

Arenvald has been around the Scions since the beginning but you need to be looking for him to notice, basically. Sanguinia's LP showed him around the Waking Sands and Rising Stones through ARR and HW.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

orcane posted:

he's a regular at the the Scion HQ and you can talk to him to get his story and that of his buddies through the 2.0 MSQ, but it's easily missable (you basically have to talk to all these random NPCs without quests after every MSQ step)

Okay, I must've just missed him then. I blame Hoary Boulder taking all my attention from the other minor Scions.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

Okay, I must've just missed him then. I blame Hoary Boulder taking all my attention from the other minor Scions.

Did you miss Aenor or are you Aenor?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I just recalled 2 other things I wanted to ask, one mechanical, and one lore-related.

First - should I be messing with Materia yet? I just got my first IV ones but have never used any, because I figure where I am (WAR 52) armor is going to be changing fast enough to not bother. Am I completely missing out here and running around like a chump? What I mean by armor changing is - nearly every new Dungeon I run results in one piece of new gear better than what I have on, so pieces are getting swapped out fairly quickly.

and Second - what race are the E-Sennas and E-Sumi-Yan? They aren't Au Ra, are they? is there some other "humanoid with horns" race we hear about somewhere?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The community is mostly great, I had a normal raid I wasn't familiar with as melee(P4) and the worst I got was my own self loathing for spending half the fight dead. And that's mostly my own chronic raider brain as one of those players that loves acing mechanics dodging.

Those kindly healers carried my idiot rear end without a word. :unsmith:

HaB posted:

I just recalled 2 other things I wanted to ask, one mechanical, and one lore-related.

Materia is pointless until cap.

The horned kids are hyurs that the elementals grab and stop the growth of. Yes, you read that right. Gridania is.. something else.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

HaB posted:

and Second - what race are the E-Sennas and E-Sumi-Yan? They aren't Au Ra, are they? is there some other "humanoid with horns" race we hear about somewhere?

They're hyur (humans.) They've just been touched by the Elementals and thus have horns and stupid names.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

iPodschun posted:

There are weird mechanics during ARR as you've noted but generally they don't mean much anymore and nothing like that will come up again. In that Syrcus Tower boss, if you don't bring a lightning orb to the tower then some people take like 200 damage. Fight design gets much better after ARR and the things you learn carry over more to other fights.

Yeah I did notice that it didn't seem like a big deal when something raidwide did go off when it wasn't supposed to.

I am hoping more things carry over between fights. I am quite enjoying Tanking, tho at one point during Syrcus, I was main Tanking, and I just.....died. Like - I didn't see what happened at all. It even took me a second to notice I went down. So - other than weird things like that happening, I am starting to feel more competent as a Tank.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HaB posted:

First - should I be messing with Materia yet? I just got my first IV ones but have never used any, because I figure where I am (WAR 52) armor is going to be changing fast enough to not bother. Am I completely missing out here and running around like a chump? What I mean by armor changing is - nearly every new Dungeon I run results in one piece of new gear better than what I have on, so pieces are getting swapped out fairly quickly.

Padjals are special humans (hyurs) blessed by the elementals, they're very rare. You learn a bit about them in the CNJ/WHM quests.

You can safely ignore materia until you're level 90. It will help with crafters and gatherers a bit, but for combat jobs it's unnecessary - until 50 you will replace your gear too often and the stat bonuses of low level materia are tiny, and once you can meld stuff you might keep long term (e.g. level 60 poetics gear) it's still not very useful because every time you're synced down, materia effects are disabled.

E: On the other hand, you can pull them out at will so technically you're "only" losing time and effort to re-meld everything constantly. I wouldn't bother :)

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 26, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

HaB posted:

I am hoping more things carry over between fights. I am quite enjoying Tanking, tho at one point during Syrcus, I was main Tanking, and I just.....died. Like - I didn't see what happened at all. It even took me a second to notice I went down. So - other than weird things like that happening, I am starting to feel more competent as a Tank.

What were you tanking? If you're including World of Darkness as part of Syrcus then the giant eyeball uses Doom, the silent sprout killer. Cerberus also has an instant kill trigger if you stand in his feeding puddle without being Mini.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I always put materia in my leveling gear because it's fun. It does provide minor boosts in each relevant period, but it is faaar from necessary or even noticeable for most people. I usually do fun things like max skill speed just so I'm an insane speed freak.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

HaB posted:

Materia can be freely removed from gear when below max level. Having some melded gives you free* numbers (sometimes: materia is disabled while your gear is leveled down in synced lower level content) and increases your spiritbond rate so you get more materia. If you can be arsed to do the clicks then there's little reason not to meld at least your Poetics gear at 60, 70 & 80, but it's not critical or anything.

* Okay there's a meld fee if you don't have crafting jobs leveled to do the melds yourself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
To avoid the melding fee, ask in goon FC chat and someone will gladly help you meld anything.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

and increases your spiritbond rate so you get more materia.

wait what

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Doomykins posted:

What were you tanking? If you're including World of Darkness as part of Syrcus then the giant eyeball uses Doom, the silent sprout killer. Cerberus also has an instant kill trigger if you stand in his feeding puddle without being Mini.

It was not Cerberus, so it must have been the eyeball - which does lead me to another question I had: when there's an attack like that you have to face away from, what exactly does it mean to "face away"? Like do they mean I need to unlock (if targeted), and turn my character away? Or do I need to rotate the camera so the attack is offscreen when it hits? I feel like I have been experimenting with both but not really arrived at a definitive answer on my own.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pryce posted:

wait what

Every materia melded into a piece of gear increases your spiritbond rate for that gear. I think it's like 20%. The type/quality of materia does not matter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

HaB posted:

It was not Cerberus, so it must have been the eyeball - which does lead me to another question I had: when there's an attack like that you have to face away from, what exactly does it mean to "face away"? Like do they mean I need to unlock (if targeted), and turn my character away? Or do I need to rotate the camera so the attack is offscreen when it hits? I feel like I have been experimenting with both but not really arrived at a definitive answer on my own.

It has to do with which way your character is facing. I use legacy controls, so I just press s to turn around and look away.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Mr. Nice! posted:

It has to do with which way your character is facing. I use legacy controls, so I just press s to turn around and look away.

I will have to see if there's a shortcut for that on console.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

HaB posted:

You can also look to the right or the left. If you're using standard controls (IE you character is always facing the camera) just turn to the right or left.

Note that you need to be facing away when the castbar ends no necessarily when the animation finishes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

HaB posted:

Just move the control stick away from the thing you aren't supposed to look at

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Something you wanna keep in mind with materia: Grades I-IV are used for a step in a level 50 glamour weapon. For you, this means that you should price check your own Grade Is, because you can probably make a decent chunk of change off of selling them on the MB.

Used to be when the weapons were current people would actually care about the substats but since 99% of people are just doing it for the glam even Tenacity and Piety materia can get you some walkin' around money as a new player.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Pryce posted:

wait what

Mr. Nice! posted:

Every materia melded into a piece of gear increases your spiritbond rate for that gear. I think it's like 20%. The type/quality of materia does not matter.

Yeah, it's +20% per melded materia. 40% more Spiritbond while leveling is not earth-shattering, but noticeable. Especially when the materia you get from it has value, like the aforementioned relic components or low level hand/land stuff.

E: Personally I meld all my leveling stuff for all my jobs, it's enough of a gain to be worth the minimal effort required, but both my main and my slowly leveling alt -- now in HW! -- have full crafters so it's a lot less annoying to do so. I sometimes forget that materia meld (and repair!) npcs exist in the world, and there are players that pay actual gil to meld their things.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 26, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You should definitely pentameld crafting/gathering gear with the cheapest materia of any type you can find while leveling. Some older DoH/DoL materia is worth money still.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

HaB posted:

If you're playing on controller swap to legacy controls right now. The game defaulting to the awful "moving backwards makes you veeeeeeeery slowly backpedal instead of just turn around like in literally every other game ever made" control type is just dumb.

In fact here, watch this. It's a very good guide to basically everything in the options menu and how to set up your controller properly.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A note for facing, usually not needed but good to know in niche cases: you may have heard about enemies having a front, flank and rear? You do as well, and those attacks care about your front. Your "vision" is a 90-degree cone out of your character's face