Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i am harry posted:

would you be proud of your work had you not been laid off?

In concrete terms no not at all. In the abstract though, kinda? Like whenever a card reader at a store was acting up I got to be all "you know I write software for these for a living so believe me I know how much they suck :c00lbert:" as just the lamest possible loving flex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also got to point out all the mistakes people made when programming receipt printers because I wrote the entire receipt printer interface, and there's a lot and once you start noticing them you can't loving stop. Nobody knows how to properly center anything!!!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

And by "point out" I mean make my wife look at as she does her best to pretend to care even a tiny bit

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

At one point the Rural King near my house had a sign over the exit saying how many shoplifters they apprehended over the year. They eventually took it down. Advertising how easy it was to steal from your store was probably not a good idea.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Shame Boy posted:

As a little background, before I got laid off in June I worked at a place that made cash register software, building a self checkout system basically from the ground up for a big Wal-Mart competitor. As a result I'm pretty familiar with the specific ways in which large retailers are petty and paranoid about the things because we had to build that petty paranoia into our poo poo, and "whether or not the item has resale value or is even worth all that much" does not seem to factor into it.

Anyway before y'all get me up against the wall I was laid off because the whole thing fell through after like two years of intense work so they were out a bunch of money with nothing to show for it and our self checkout stuff got basically dropped on the ground unused cuz nobody else wanted something so specific to them, so if u think about it I was actually helping.

okay, thanks for telling me about how loss prevention works from the standpoint of a guy who codes all day. i have multiple friends who have been arrested for larceny and i can tell you first hand they do not care about stealing a fuckin tube of cookie dough, and they aren't going to take the time and resources to build a case against you for it. they care if you're stealing stuff you can resell.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OH MY BAD posted:

okay, thanks for telling me about how loss prevention works from the standpoint of a guy who codes all day. i have multiple friends who have been arrested for larceny and i can tell you first hand they do not care about stealing a fuckin tube of cookie dough, and they aren't going to take the time and resources to build a case against you for it. they care if you're stealing stuff you can resell.

We literally had to test the fuckin thing to make sure it detected and recorded footage of people stealing poo poo like bottles of mustard, I don't know what to tell you buddy and I don't know why you're so weirdly mad about this. Like do you want me to give you permission to steal a banana or something?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

back when I was a juvenile delinquent teenager, the supermarket in the upper middle class neighborhood had a carousel of cigarettes as you entered the store. I would regularly grab two packs and pocket them, take a lap around the store and walk out. I tried the same thing in the lower middle class neighborhood and i was nabbed the first time.

I heard something of the same thing from mall security. the management at an upscale women’s fashion place would rather eat the loss from theft then kill the vibe of
fancy by having to acknowledge shoplifting.

the moral is always steal from the rich.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Proust Malone posted:

back when I was a juvenile delinquent teenager, the supermarket in the upper middle class neighborhood had a carousel of cigarettes as you entered the store. I would regularly grab two packs and pocket them, take a lap around the store and walk out. I tried the same thing in the lower middle class neighborhood and i was nabbed the first time.

I heard something of the same thing from mall security. the management at an upscale women’s fashion place would rather eat the loss from theft then kill the vibe of
fancy by having to acknowledge shoplifting.

the moral is always steal from the rich.

:hmmyes:

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Shame Boy posted:

We literally had to test the fuckin thing to make sure it detected and recorded footage of people stealing poo poo like bottles of mustard, I don't know what to tell you buddy and I don't know why you're so weirdly mad about this. Like do you want me to give you permission to steal a banana or something?

im saying you already have permission regardless of wether or not you coded mustard_recorder.exe, they aren't gonna expend the time and effort to nail you after the fact. i swear you dudes need to talk to someone who works outside once in your life

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you can just say you forgot to scan the thing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they can make you be your own cashier but they can't force you to be good at the job

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
no dude. here in HELLWORLD where only SHAREHOLDERS PROFITS matter the walmart GESTAPO will NAIL YOUR rear end TO THE WALL

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OH MY BAD posted:

im saying you already have permission regardless of wether or not you coded mustard_recorder.exe, they aren't gonna expend the time and effort to nail you after the fact. i swear you dudes need to talk to someone who works outside once in your life

You have my permission to steal the banana, by the way. Tell them Shame Boy said it was okay, they'll know who you mean.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i don't doubt executives WANT to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law every errant jar of mustard

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
i wouldn't ask your permission for anything outside of nerd stuff (i.e. "is it okay to linux my database"), for anything involving navigating the real world i think you'd get me fleeced/clobbered in about 2 seconds flat

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Scanning everything as an onion but shaking my head in confusion the whole time so the workers know I don't mean to do it and am just incompetent.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i don't doubt executives WANT to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law every errant jar of mustard

oh im sure they do. there's just that pesky matter of time and resources, which don't exist if you are a birdbrain who views corporate box stores as omnipotent and all powerful forces of punishment

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you can just say you forgot to scan the thing

I did find this earlier which lol

Some Rando on Quora posted:

I was at a Walmart a few years ago. I had a full cart of merchandise which I had paid for. Except for a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste which had fallen to the bottom of the cart. Once, going out the door the alarm went off. They pulled me aside and checked me. There were no other items that i hadn’t paid for. I try to explain that the item of which I was suspected of shoplifting had simply fallen to the bottom of the cart and I had not seen it having ended there. Thing was, they wouldn’t believe me, and so I said that I had just paid for all the other items in the cart…so why would I steal an item which was less than 7 dollars? Still, they refused to believe me. So they called the police and I was taken to the police station.

I was given a fine, a little over 200 dollars, which of course I paid. But I was so disgusted with the incident, that I decided not ever to shop at Walmart again. To this day, I’ve stayed out of all Walmarts.

Not so much out of fear of another incident taking place, but because all the rigamarole I had to go through was so unpleasant, that I never was able to consider shopping at that store.

All in all, it was the most embarrassing event that ever happened to me. Not only that but, I was innocent. Just not believed in my truth.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm going to start selling "Original banana do not steal!" stickers to Big Banana. Millennial shoplifters will respect them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OH MY BAD posted:

oh im sure they do. there's just that pesky matter of time and resources, which don't exist if you are a birdbrain who views corporate box stores as omnipotent and all powerful forces of punishment

Nah they have a subcontractor that makes people in the developing world do it, I got to talk to them once

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the subcontractor can't prove i didn't just forget to scan it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
sorry but i've already thought of everything

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sorry but i've already thought of everything

Ok fine, you also have my personal permission to steal one (1) banana

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Ok fine, you also have my personal permission to steal one (1) banana

i don't shop at any of the stores that has the stuff you worked on, actually

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Shame Boy posted:

Nah they have a subcontractor that makes people in the developing world do it, I got to talk to them once

"they offshore it" is not the hearty invocation for LP that i know you're aching to make as their former employee

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OH MY BAD posted:

"they offshore it" is not the hearty invocation for LP that i know you're aching to make as their former employee

Lol I'm not their former employee and you seem to be assuming that and a hell of a lot of other things to Get Mad at me about and I'm still real confused as to why.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Lol I'm not their former employee and you seem to be assuming that and a hell of a lot of other things to Get Mad at me about and I'm still real confused as to why.

Shame Boy posted:

As a little background, before I got laid off in June I worked at a place that made cash register software, building a self checkout system basically from the ground up for a big Wal-Mart competitor.

yeah why would anyone confuse the guy who makes self checkout software that monitors people to see if they're stealing as working in loss prevention

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

OH MY BAD posted:

🤓 errrm all my very cool crime friends who are just offscreen say you're the real nerd

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
because every computer science person is a know it all who would be rendered completely useless if dropped anywhere other than a computer for a day

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

The Chairman posted:

🤓 errrm all my very cool crime friends who are just offscreen say you're the real nerd

being poor in america is a bitch!!!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

OH MY BAD posted:

because every computer science person is a know it all who would be rendered completely useless if dropped anywhere other than a computer for a day

The amount of computer toucher janitors who have warped their brain into thinking they get paid so much not because tech is a massive bubble that’s been slowly bursting but they simply are the smartest person ever to exist is both annoying but also funny when the shrinking bubble finally reaches them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah why would anyone confuse the guy who makes self checkout software that monitors people to see if they're stealing as working in loss prevention

I read it more as they were assuming I was working for the store rather than a company the store was buying poo poo from, but I mean fair I guess? All the monitoring poo poo was external stuff foisted on us by their loss prevention team, not like us going "hey I know a cool new way we can really gently caress over people!!!", but I guess I was still a part of the Loss Prevention Machine or whatever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OH MY BAD posted:

Yeah don't really disagree with you there or anything

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OH MY BAD posted:

i wouldn't ask your permission for anything outside of nerd stuff (i.e. "is it okay to linux my database"), for anything involving navigating the real world i think you'd get me fleeced/clobbered in about 2 seconds flat

drat this guy is so streetwise. I bet I could learn a lot about how things really are from him.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

post hole digger posted:

drat this guy is so streetwise. I bet I could learn a lot about how things really are from him.

hurt computer toucher spotted

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Honestly I figured most people on this website were computer touchers with nothing better to do than waste time at work posting. That might be because I'm incredibly out of touch and never go outside or talk to anyone though, there's probably a correlation there

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

post hole digger posted:

public transit is also free

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hurt computer toucher spotted

i thought about stealing a banana at the self check out line but couldn’t figure out how to right click and “save as…” it into my pocket so i just started shrieking like rain man in the smoke alarm scene. I’m posting this from jail btw.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

HermitSupplier posted:

Honestly I figured most people on this website were computer touchers with nothing better to do than waste time at work posting. That might be because I'm incredibly out of touch and never go outside or talk to anyone though, there's probably a correlation there

im on a workers comp leave for a warehouse accident and i genuinely value SA as slightly smarter than average so it's been good to kill time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

post hole digger posted:

i thought about stealing a banana at the self check out line but couldn’t figure out how to right click and “save as…” it into my pocket so i just started shrieking like rain man in the smoke alarm scene. I’m posting this from jail btw.

they take your stuff from your pockets when they take ur belt and shoelaces in jail