Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Sedgr posted:

:canada: Sending another 2.2B to Ukraine :hmmyes::ukraine:

i wish i could have like, $4000 of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arc Hammer posted:

So what does that leave for major focus points along the front? The Avdiivka battle was a big point but are there any other areas where it's particularly intense or where Russia or Ukraine are threatening a breakthrough?

There's been some reorganization of Russian forces facing the Kupiansk direction that suggest a strong push there is impending. A considerable stretch of front with offensive activity has been placed under the Western Military District. This will aid in coordination between multiple short-term objectives. Taking Kupiansk threatens Kharkiv and also helps take all of Donetsk oblast.

I'm going to recommend reporting From Ukraine's Patreon here. They do a weekly strategic overview that covers exactly this question. I'm happy to keep haring what I learn from them, but if you can go to the source, you might be happier.

Here's their current video, a lot of the current context is also in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgFazJvNmRg&t=5s

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I guess Syrskyi's face doesn't bring in the views.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Mr.Acula posted:

cool

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mr.Acula posted:

400 parachute accounts goes hard

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr.Acula posted:

What would you do with it?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Karate Bastard posted:

What would you do with it?

buy one anti-air rocket for Ukraine?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
longer thread on extrajudicial punishments in the Russian army by Chris_O_wiki, translated from Russian sources, not going to link it because of images

quote:

1/ Hellish conditions on the front line in Ukraine have reportedly led to an upsurge in extrajudicial punishments in the Russian army, with soldiers being hanged, tied to trees for days, forced to rape each other, or thrown naked into open pits in freezing temperatures.
2/ Verstka reports on a series of interviews with frontline Russian troops over the past few months. Many have been fighting at the Ukrainian bridgehead at Krynky on the left bank of the Dnipro, which they describe as a scene of slaughter with 60-100 people dying every day.
3/ A Russian soldier says that both sides are sending their men into futile assaults. "It's hell here," he says. "[The Russians] are killing each other. The Ukranians are killing each other. The orders are stupid. Everyone understands that you can't succeed, but they send them to die anyway."
4/ Group after group was sent to assault Krynky since November 2023 and "almost no one came back ... This task was set constantly. During the whole time, a single person came [back] out of there. But they still sent and still send people there."
5/ On 20 February 2024, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu claimed that his forces had recaptured Krynky. However, Russian marines fighting there have denied this. Verstka reports that 200 men died there on the day after Shoigu's announcement.
6/ Verstka's informant describes a situation in which the frontline Russian troops have established a brutal disciplinary regime while their commanders are absent in safe bunkers kilometers away. Notably, convict soldiers are "going wild" and treating mobilised men savagely.
7/ "The shelling of our positions is still constant. During this time our convicts have completely lost their heads. They realise that everyone will die. That's why they torture ordinary guys, whoever they can," says an artillerymen.  Some perceived offenders are lynched.
"They are perverting themselves. Here they have organised a "zone" [prison colony] in the literal sense. They are operating on their own wavelength in [frontline] battalions, and their commanders are deep in the rear."
8/ The regime they have established reportedly includes murders, tortures and arbitrary imprisonment. In a video provided by an interviewee, four naked men are seen being humiliated while being filmed by several clothed soldiers, before being thrown into a pit on a frosty night.
"For all to loving see...", says one of the clothed soldiers. "I'll tell you where to go, gently caress... Turn to the camera, gently caress..."
9/ One of the naked men is punched in the face. "What are you doing, you loving dog?" the first soldier shouts. "Don't move, everyone stand.... And you run to the loving pit to copulate... Run, you fat loving bitch." The naked men are then forced into a zindan or open-air pit, a medieval punishment that the Russian army revived in Ukraine in 2023.
10/ The men were said to have been punished for drinking and failure to follow orders. According to Misha Maltsev, who recorded the video above, their tormentors "make them have sex afterwards. They sit and watch it. Laughing, pissing on top of them. Like they're watching TV."
11/ Maltsev is a former convict who learned in Luhansk "what awaited me, but did not dare to run away. Then we were transferred to the Kherson direction, where the most brutal gently caress-up began. The attitude was bestial, orders could not be fulfilled, everyone bullies each other."12/ He says the situation is a "complete, solid mess" and that convicts like him were only given a fraction of the promised enlistment payments: "they hosed us over however they wanted." There is no rest or rotation, and no evacuation for the wounded or recovery of the dead.
13/ "They don't take the wounded out of here, no evacuation - they stitched them up, laid them down for a week and threw them back into the fight. Our boys are lying around, rotting, they don't take them away. They are decomposing, bloated, there is nothing to help them, I don't know how their relatives will know."
14/ Maltsev spent four days in a shell hole on top of corpses whose recovery had been forbidden by their commanders. "He lived on the dead. He took cookies out of their pockets and ate them,” says another soldier. In December 2023, Maltsev and his entire unit were killed in Krynky.
15/ Brutal punishments are not just confined to Russian fighters. In January 2024, Serbian nationalist mercenary Dejan Berić published a video in which he complained that his fellow mercenaries were sent on an assault without grenade launchers and with only two magazines of bullets.
16/ Berić says that the Serbs refused to join the assault and requested a transfer to another unit with “real Russian officers.” In response, all their ammunition and weapons were taken away, and the men – including those sick with pneumonia – were driven into the forest.
17/ They spent two days in the open in freezing cold without food or water and were not allowed to approach the kitchen. Military police came to the Serbs on 8 January, “accused them of espionage, opened fire in the dugouts,” and began beating the mercenaries with rifle butts.
18/ Berić's video caused a mini-scandal, and his unit was reportedly reassigned to the command of the Chechen Akhmat battalion. His house in Donetsk was burned down yesterday in an attack that he has blamed on his "enemies".
19/ Other soldiers have reported being handcuffed or tied to trees for days at a time to 'motivate' them to fight. Such punishments are, at least in principle, completely against the Russian military code, but in practice, officers say the situation is more "elastic".
"Whether in my new military unit or in the 24th Motorised Rifle [Regiment], we have a complete rear end, chaos, lawlessness, a swinish attitude towards people, and we ourselves are turning into embittered animals," one officer says.
20/ Others are more sanguine. An Airborne Forces officer says that "bullying is something the hohols [Ukrainians] do. We have educational work, cruel but fair. We don’t just gently caress anyone." He points to the low quality of the army's recruits as making harsh discipline necessary.
21/ "There are a lot of mobiks here, men who signed a contract recently, and before that they were drinking in garages, and similar characters. Do they have discipline? No. To maintain discipline, you need to gently caress them hard. You can call it bullying, but for us it’s a job on which our lives depend.”
He admits, though, that at the front line "everything is one big unofficial punishment”.
22/ “Pits, basements, bullshit, threats. Do you know how many 500s [deserters] there were in our direction last year? There are hundreds of them here. And what to do with them all? There aren't enough military police to clean up this poo poo. If you don't go to the assault, you go to the basement. It works."
(By "basement" he is referring to the Russian army's use of improvised prisons where soldiers are starved and beaten to force them to return to the front line.)
23/ The officer's comments highlight the Russian army's apparently severe problems with desertion. On the one hand, an artilleryman says that it's very difficult to run away from the front line. "You have to go through a lot of lines. It’s not clear where you’ll run into anyone."
24/ Soldiers have instead taken the opportunity to flee while on visits to the rear, for example on trips to the hospital. The military authorities in the Kherson region have cracked down by stopping soldiers going to the hospital, even if they are wounded and need treatment.
25/ A soldier says that they "practically stopped taking people to the hospital from [Kherson region] in the winter of 2023. They don’t take you to the hospital even if you’re injured. They provided help, whoever was nearby, and then fed us breakfast. But there is no calm here.
26/ "Constant fighting. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. They don't talk about losses in the news at all. And they must be assessed as catastrophic. They don't feel sorry for people at all. It's like they're not people. And this makes everyone around me go wild."
27/ The soldier suggests that his unit is deliberately hiding the scale of its desertions – some of whom may have surrendered – likely to avoid commanders facing embarassing questions, in an example of the Russian military's ingrained culture of lying.
"[These are] cards of my missing guys, who were in the group at first, and then they were simply deleted! I accidentally managed to save a few. This is only a small number, they are simply cleared from the database so as not to be looked for."
28/ The soldier says that his experience of war is worse than he could ever have imagined. "I used to watch war movies before, and it was creepy. But after seeing everything that is happening here, all the most terrible things from the cinema seem like kindergarten."
"I didn't realise that in the 21st century people could be treated like that. I didn't realise what people are capable of. It's really better in hell than in our war." /end

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Acula posted:

Sorry no can do, best I can offer is a rent increase

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Mr.Acula posted:

you'd just waste it, just like very other opportunity you've had in life

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

400 parachute accounts goes hard

Koalas March was onto something, everyone should have a couple parachute accounts to hype themselves up

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Koalas March was onto something, everyone should have a couple parachute accounts to hype themselves up

You're so right oomfie!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jaete posted:

This tweet was deleted

Another tweet from same with some details maybe:
https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1761877475057877209

gently caress

I was this close

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dwesa posted:

longer thread on extrajudicial punishments in the Russian army by Chris_O_wiki, translated from Russian sources, not going to link it because of images

Well that's absolutely heinous.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

He doubled down with a video showing monkeys and Ukrainians.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone
Dec 6, 2016

beer_war posted:

He doubled down with a video showing monkeys and Ukrainians.

You got that right, dickless wonder. Just look at your boss.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Its true. This man really does have no dick (any more)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1762094887954968950#m

(Footage is SFW)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

meanwhile the guy who sold all the fancy thingamajigs from the EW case

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Balls are stored in the case.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dwesa posted:

Wow, that's a whole series of things.

How sure can we be about the veracity of this?

Burns
May 10, 2008

redshirt posted:

Wow, that's a whole series of things.

How sure can we be about the veracity of this?

Its the same pattern of behavior going back decades.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Burns posted:

Its the same pattern of behavior going back decades.

A century by now. This is classic gulag behavior, just Russia has modernized it and made gulag be a mobile entity rather than be chained to a set of buildings.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:byewhore:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dwesa posted:

quote:

15/ Brutal punishments are not just confined to Russian fighters. In January 2024, Serbian nationalist mercenary Dejan Berić published a video in which he complained that his fellow mercenaries were sent on an assault without grenade launchers and with only two magazines of bullets.
16/ Berić says that the Serbs refused to join the assault and requested a transfer to another unit with “real Russian officers.” In response, all their ammunition and weapons were taken away, and the men – including those sick with pneumonia – were driven into the forest.
17/ They spent two days in the open in freezing cold without food or water and were not allowed to approach the kitchen. Military police came to the Serbs on 8 January, “accused them of espionage, opened fire in the dugouts,” and began beating the mercenaries with rifle butts.
18/ Berić's video caused a mini-scandal, and his unit was reportedly reassigned to the command of the Chechen Akhmat battalion. His house in Donetsk was burned down yesterday in an attack that he has blamed on his "enemies".

This is the life you chose in the glorious Ruski Mir, where the only certainty is dying for the glory of the Tsar.

Putting the Serbs under muslim command was a real bit of adding insult to injury too.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 26, 2024

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Tai posted:

Swden just got the thumbs up to join NATO so expect a trump grrrrr NATO meltdown

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/26/hungary-approve-sweden-nato-membership

Hungary's parliament on Monday approved Sweden's accession to NATO, clearing one of the final hurdles for the country to join the military alliance.

Why it matters: NATO has been key to the U.S.-led effort to counter Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, and the defensive alliance has long been central to maintaining security and U.S. interests in Europe.

Sweden's accession as the 32nd member country of NATO is a blow to Russian President Vladimir Putin. He has said Russia's invasion of Ukraine was at least in part motivated by The Kremlin's desire to halt NATO's eastward expansion.
Joining NATO ends Sweden's more than 200-year track record of military non-alignment.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/26/hungary-approve-sweden-nato-membership

Hungary's parliament on Monday approved Sweden's accession to NATO, clearing one of the final hurdles for the country to join the military alliance.

Why it matters: NATO has been key to the U.S.-led effort to counter Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, and the defensive alliance has long been central to maintaining security and U.S. interests in Europe.

Sweden's accession as the 32nd member country of NATO is a blow to Russian President Vladimir Putin. He has said Russia's invasion of Ukraine was at least in part motivated by The Kremlin's desire to halt NATO's eastward expansion.
Joining NATO ends Sweden's more than 200-year track record of military non-alignment.

This will never stop being funny.

Well, as funny as anything can be involved with war, I guess.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
It's incredible - if he was genuinely wanting to prevent NATO expansion, he did the exact OPPOSITE thing that he should have done so. Instead, he's reinforced it's primary goal harder than any other one person could have.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Looking forward to China joining nato in 2028

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think he actually gave a poo poo about NATO (look how terrified we are, we'd never invade), that was just an excuse for idiots and he just wanted to invade and annex Ukraine

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Olaf Scholz is lying about the Taurus. He claims German soldiers would be needed to program it. The manufacturer denies this, nor was it necessary when Taurus was sold to Spain and South Korea.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 26, 2024

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

beer_war posted:

Olaf Scholz is lying about the Taurus. He claims German soldiers would need to be stationed in Ukraine to program it. The manufacturer denies this, nor was it necessary when Taurus was sold to Spain and South Korea.

It's because he doesn't trust the Ukrainians.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok then send some German "advisors", Olaf :colbert:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://x.com/InesTrams/status/1762151817973055793?s=20

quote:

When asked why #Taurus were delivered to Spain and South Korea without German soldiers, Minister Pistorius replied: “There are different models.” Confusion remains.

Too bad we sold off all the Taurus that don't need German soldiers.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

It's really great everyone in NATO keeps producing specialized bespoke artisanal weapons systems that need unicorn babysitters and one off hand made parts and servicing.

Sounds like a reason to not invest your time or money there because systems you can't obtain and can't use are a funding black hole that can't be relied on to be there when you need it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sedgr posted:

It's really great everyone in NATO keeps producing specialized bespoke artisanal weapons systems that need unicorn babysitters and one off hand made parts and servicing.

Sounds like a reason to not invest your time or money there because systems you can't obtain and can't use are a funding black hole that can't be relied on to be there when you need it.

well it's better than buying American weapons systems and then demanding the US fund NATO

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
reading goons in platoons and realizing how often the us military has to rush out consultants to work on proprietary tech problems was eye opening

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sedgr posted:

Maybe also stop using Swiss parts or ammo in your system so you don't have to ask their permission to use those weapons outside parades or in other display-only purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sedgr posted:

Olaf's just making up excuses