Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Darox posted:

Fighting bot bases is much more enjoyable than bug bases on any difficulty, the sole exceptions being cannon turrets and the stratagem blocker bases.

This is one reason I like bots tbh. They throw interesting challenges at you. Like you warm drop near some factories expecting to call in your support and come out hard. Game says: oops you're next to a SAM site and eagles aren't available. There's a tank and a hulk here. What do you do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Fangz posted:

I usually find trying to clear the Eye of loving Sauron *is* the failure cascade. The hellbomb won't land properly, and people keep dropping orbitals on it despite it not doing anything, and piles of enemies land and kill you over and over.

Similar to jammers you need to rapidly advance up to the eye of sauron, preferably starting the fight on your own terms so you're already next to the eye on its raised platform when the first dropships are landing around it. Once you get the platform clear it's done, you can drop the hellbomb right next to it out of LOS of the stuff dropping/marching around it, then hop off the side to safety on whichever side is clear after the bomb is ticking. I'd suggest 2 people to seamlessly blast your way through the initial guards and a railgun strike on hand for the occasional tank/hulk parked on the platform with the tower, but it's very easy to get in and out.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Fangz posted:

I usually find trying to clear the Eye of loving Sauron *is* the failure cascade. The hellbomb won't land properly, and people keep dropping orbitals on it despite it not doing anything, and piles of enemies land and kill you over and over.

The best spot for the hellbomb is next to the robots' spawn factory. You will be able to summon the hellbomb there, where everywhere else the ball bounces around and does nothing

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

JBP posted:

This is one reason I like bots tbh. They throw interesting challenges at you. Like you warm drop near some factories expecting to call in your support and come out hard. Game says: oops you're next to a SAM site and eagles aren't available. There's a tank and a hulk here. What do you do now?

All of the strategic optional challenges for bots are far more interesting than the bugs, that's true. Do the bugs even have anything besides the spore spewers and stalkers?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The bases are less the issue and more that bots just have way more patrols(and way more attentive ones) than bugs(or at least it seems that way) so it feels like it's just a bit too easy to get into a failure spiral with bots

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

The bases are less the issue and more that bots just have way more patrols(and way more attentive ones) than bugs(or at least it seems that way) so it feels like it's just a bit too easy to get into a failure spiral with bots

I think that's made up for by the fact that it's a lot easier to break contact with the bots. They're usually mostly staying at range, and their heaviest elites are some of their slowest units.

Compare that to the bugs who are constantly in your face, and you pretty much can't run away from Chargers and Bile Titans as they'll just keep pace.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Bots:

You are in range of enemy artillery.

Bugs:

You're loving dead because three chargers are excavating your colon at the same time.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Bot hordes are definitely more dangerous in open battlefields without rock formations for cover, where trying to climb a hill to break LoS just gives the rocket devastators a nice backboard to splash you. An open field on a bug world gives you plenty of space for kiting and shooting titans without the risk of accidentally backing into a wall.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Toadsmash posted:

Is it just becoming the meta already that once you complete the main objectives, you beeline for the extraction no matter how much reinforcements and time on the clock you have left, completely ignoring the rest of the map? Map markers get ignored and nobody puts up any alternatives, either. That's been my experience for my last like half dozen attempts at not playing solo in a row and it just makes for boring matches where we barely come home with any samples in the bargain. Reminds me of the worst aspects of the WoW endgame 5-man meta and a big part of what made me quit that game when I tried it most recently in Shadowlands.

I see this a lot. I figured it was just people that don't know what they are doing and don't know the optional objectives exist since they are invisible on the map or are farming medals which just need missions to be completed.

I'm leaning toward "Don't know what they are doing" though because I've seen some poo poo with all of these random lobbies. Last night I got stuck on a rock and yeeted into a titan by a charger and died in the middle of collecting the samples in a heavy nest. Before reinforcing me a level 41 sprinted through the nest, grabbed my 40+ samples and ran straight to an entire lake then dived into the center of 20 feet deep water. Said they didn't know you couldn't swim in the game when they drowned 0.5 seconds later and lost all the samples.

Following match a level 35 did the same thing with the super rare samples they had ran across randomly by trying to swim out into the open ocean from the coast when the random patrols they kept attacking in the middle of nowhere got too tough.

I'd love to see stats on drowning or dying to those holes in the ground but I really think it's people going to the only visible map indicators, hearing the game go "MISSION COMPLETE, YOU MAY NOW EXTRACT" and doing exactly that.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
love that setting like texture quality to low makes acog style scopes a pixelated mess

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Why cant you swim anyway? Just tie it to stamina, armor be damned.

Its weird that its almost sort of implemented

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I've seen the opposite where we all get bogged down trying to get the last two nests with three minutes left. My decision to hoof it back to extract with 20 samples was not popular.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Swimming is a trap for the panicking and the inadvisable shortcut takers. It's funny when someone tries to make their virtual soldier swim in full body armor, and it's a better solution than the instant death of HD1.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

As long as bots aren't surrounding you and you aren't stratagem-jammed they're extremely manageable imo. If you are surrounded, it's time to book it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

Is it just becoming the meta already that once you complete the main objectives, you beeline for the extraction no matter how much reinforcements and time on the clock you have left, completely ignoring the rest of the map? Map markers get ignored and nobody puts up any alternatives, either. That's been my experience for my last like half dozen attempts at not playing solo in a row and it just makes for boring matches where we barely come home with any samples in the bargain. Reminds me of the worst aspects of the WoW endgame 5-man meta and a big part of what made me quit that game when I tried it most recently in Shadowlands.

have you tried asking in vc?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The game still needs improvement in all the matchmaking/netcode/backend. I was playing a game right now, and in the middle of the mission, literally while running and shooting, the screen blinked black and when the image returned two seconds later, I was on my ship, alone?? I didn't get any message of the host leaving the game, or me being kicked, mind you.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

bandaid.friend posted:

The best spot for the hellbomb is next to the robots' spawn factory. You will be able to summon the hellbomb there, where everywhere else the ball bounces around and does nothing

Thanks for mentioning this.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Aside from stalkers you can ignore every terminid unit at any difficulty so Bots are in an entirely different game.

In the times you do have to fight at the objectives you just run wide circles picking off a bug breach as a titan tries and fails to spit on you or you get minced into a paste by a literal wall of rocket laser fire.

I prefer playing bots because its a strategic war and you have to resort to guerilla tactics on their maps sometimes due to the difficulty. Trying those maps with scrambled strategem, only 3 strategem or dealing with bot AA and ECM are way more interesting than just playing Bug Madden 2124 and weaving through 40,000 terminids like they aren't even there while collecting samples.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Arrowhead could use some lessons from Fatshark about (eventually) making most weapons feel good or having meta-progression mechanics that help shore up ostensibly weak weapons, actually

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Scrambled stratagems went from kinda funny to insufferable in a hurry, just punching in the shortest code in the list and canceling it after getting the wrong thing 4 times in a row

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

Scrambled stratagems went from kinda funny to insufferable in a hurry, just punching in the shortest code in the list and canceling it after getting the wrong thing 4 times in a row

Yeah, I had my first one of those yesterday and after the first mission of the operation I immediately picked up the Airburst orbital and ran with that, because the code is just >>> so it's easy to mash over and over until you get what you want.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Warbadger posted:

Similar to jammers you need to rapidly advance up to the eye of sauron, preferably starting the fight on your own terms so you're already next to the eye on its raised platform when the first dropships are landing around it. Once you get the platform clear it's done, you can drop the hellbomb right next to it out of LOS of the stuff dropping/marching around it, then hop off the side to safety on whichever side is clear after the bomb is ticking. I'd suggest 2 people to seamlessly blast your way through the initial guards and a railgun strike on hand for the occasional tank/hulk parked on the platform with the tower, but it's very easy to get in and out.

Fangz posted:

You can use a recoilless to kill it directly too.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Bugs would feel a lot better if they toned chargers down and toned up the 3-4 forgettable medium bugs (warriors or w/e). After fighting bots and seeing the amount of variety in their medium and light units I feel like bugs are very bland.

Bot missions have very distinct units while bugs just feel like trash fodder + chargers and titans with the occasional stalker.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 26, 2024

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Owl Inspector posted:

Yeah this modifier is funny for the first couple seconds when you call in your stuff but it's just the worst for the rest of the mission. On the other hand I've just been going with a turret loadout for those which kind of counteracts it, not sure how good it would be on 9's though.

Turin Turambar posted:

The game still needs improvement in all the matchmaking/netcode/backend. I was playing a game right now, and in the middle of the mission, literally while running and shooting, the screen blinked black and when the image returned two seconds later, I was on my ship, alone?? I didn't get any message of the host leaving the game, or me being kicked, mind you.
I've had this happen as well. Really bizarre how smoothly it puts you back on your ship, like you just woke up from a dream.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

scrambled strats sucks because the failure rate is so high, if anything the funnier option is lowering the incidence rate which will lead to people forgetting about it and continuing to call in airstrikes on their own position

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

WoodrowSkillson posted:

scrambled strats sucks because the failure rate is so high, if anything the funnier option is lowering the incidence rate which will lead to people forgetting about it and continuing to call in airstrikes on their own position

I swear this has happened to me—we’d had scrambled stratagems all game so I dialed in an air strike trying to get my support weapon since they were the only 2 off cd and air striked myself.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Dandywalken posted:

apostateCourier posted:

Swimming is a trap for the panicking and the inadvisable shortcut takers. It's funny when someone tries to make their virtual soldier swim in full body armor, and it's a better solution than the instant death of HD1.

I think they should split the difference and make an armor perk that’s just “you can swim in this armor.”

It would be extremely situational, but very cool when you get the right map to use it on.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My friend and I have been fighting robots for what seems like all week. Going back to bugs is a nice treat once in a while. Although I will say the robot army theme goes hard.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JonBolds posted:

I think they should split the difference and make an armor perk that’s just “you can swim in this armor.”

It would be extremely situational, but very cool when you get the right map to use it on.

I wonder how many people are drowning because they expected the "no longer slowed in bad terrain" booster to let them walk through water as fast as enemies can?

"Don't worry guys, they can't flank us from that direction-oh they are just walking across like it is pavement..."

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Is there like, some kind of trigger that kicks in once the main objectives are done that increases the spawn rate or was it just bad luck? I should mention our squad was kinda getting slowly pushed around by the swarm so we might have been triggering patrols along the way.
Once the mission timer becomes red it becomes a good idea to think about extracting or at least maybe dropping your samples near extract. Sometimes it seems like it triples spawns and mobs and they are giving you incentive to GTFO

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I quit dropping samples at extract because randos see the icon on the map, grab them then run into a variety of lakes/holes/titan swarms for no reason

Also the shuttle can land on them, the container can glitch and not be picked up or the shuttle can get flung off the map by a few different things so i sit in a shuttle watching the rando who took all the samples who was already almost going to miss the shuttle be glitched out of entering it

Thats if they arent running away from the shuttle when someone has already boarded it and arent listening to people telling them to get on with all the samples

Rectal Death Alert fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 26, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think once/if they get servers stable, there are a few tweaks that are very important like a balance pass for weapons and an adjustment on bug/bot spawns. As is, something very much feels *wrong* with bugs on higher difficulty, and I have to kill way too many bots.

Also bot rockets are loving annoying.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Once the mission timer becomes red it becomes a good idea to think about extracting or at least maybe dropping your samples near extract. Sometimes it seems like it triples spawns and mobs and they are giving you incentive to GTFO

in general this is why im one of the people that wants to beeline for the extract when the objectives are done. doing a full clear with my buddies is fun and cool, but i just do not trust randos to not end up getting us into some total shitstorm.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I had no idea until now that it was possible to drop samples, which implicitly must be why I've seen sample stacks near extract before(and immediately grabbed them)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Bots:

Bugs:

You're loving dead because three chargers are excavating your colon at the same time.

The thing about artillery/eye of sauron/jammer bases is you need to be aggressive. You keep moving, push straight through the light initial defenses, and blow up/disable the objective. You don't want to end up fighting bots in a last stand to wipe out the wave as you can with bugs - they'll keep coming forever, they'll keep replacing whatever you kill, and they will ramp up to a constant stream of rocket launching mediums and nasty heavies very quick.

So you shoot your way in, blow the objective, and you disengage while killing the few fast light units that can keep up with you.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Turin Turambar posted:

I had the same issue, quick join would never find a game, I couldn't join any player, etc. I exited the game, entered again, and it was fixed. It seems until you do that, the game won't reconnect to whatever matchmaking services behind the scenes.

Over the weekend this seemed to happen to me frequently. I could join quick match, we'd complete the mission, go back to host ship, then if host leaves or if I get kicked I can't rejoin any quick matches without closing game and restarting. This is on PS5.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

e:nm

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 27, 2024

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The basic and quickly purchased “Eagle Airstike”, a bombing run with a half dozen(?) light bombs, is one of the best and most versatile stratagems in the game, IMO. Also for Eagle strikes don’t be worried by the amount of “uses”, that’s just how many are immediately loaded in Eagle-1, after you spend them all she has to fly back to rearm with more (which takes a few minutes). Previously I have almost always run with that Stratagem.

However I’m starting to consider replacing it on Bug missions . The nature of bug nests makes killing bug holes difficult with the angled bomb strike and there are better options for killing bugs out in the open.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

People who bring mortar sentries to open map bug missions hate Democracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I like the eagle cluster bomb which is extremely wide and wipes out nearly everything that isn’t heavy armor, which gives you breathing room to deal with those threats without all the distractions. Throwing it at a bug breach or ahead into a base before moving in works well