Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
They didn't really embarrass themselves lol, they simply just decided not to fire their coach.

People generally also like the hire of Waldron, for whatever that's worth. At least it's someone who's had some success play calling recently

Also

https://twitter.com/BillTZimmerman/status/1762131373798658416

People are overreacting to something where Peter King just outright says he's speculating about lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexo posted:

They didn't really embarrass themselves lol, they simply just decided not to fire their coach.

Read it again, Dexo. :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Caleb has been underhwlming to me and then i saw Maye ding the crossbar at 80 yards out and now I'm ready for trubisky 2.0 because I am obsessed with The Haul and everything it entails.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MJeff posted:

Read it again, Dexo. :v:

Bleh too early in the morning. My bad

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1762130604982759818

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 26, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

:piss:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pees Tape is Real

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Maybe I’m late to the party but is Bears Bulletin using the GTA San Andreas font?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MJeff posted:

Pees Tape is Real

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think I'm less interested in what the Bears do at QB and more interested in what they'll do with #9.

Mocks are meaningless until at least the combine, but they might be able to grab one of the non-MHJ receivers. That'd be a decent combo with DJ Moore.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Caleb Williams is the consensus best player in the draft, so they should probably just draft him.

Sucks for his career, but doing anything else other than the consensus "right move" is just going to make the Bears look even dumber when they inevitably fail.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Edit: meh

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Caleb Williams is the consensus best player in the draft, so they should probably just draft him.

Sucks for his career, but doing anything else other than the consensus "right move" is just going to make the Bears look even dumber when they inevitably fail.

Brad Holmes goes against consensus right moves.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/mikegarafolo/status/1762244288090407326?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He was frankly better as a linebacker than some of the regulars are.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yeah this is a good signing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

There's probably going to be a lot of weird rumors on the Bears and the #1 pick because their front office doesn't leak anything.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Hizawk posted:

Brad Holmes goes against consensus right moves.

Lot of dick riding for 2 playoff wins in his career brad holmes.

Also really only applies to their first 2 picks this year, otherwise he's been pretty chalk and normal on their team building strategy.

adaz fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 27, 2024

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

adaz posted:

Lot of dick riding for 2 playoff wins in his career brad holmes

I completely understand your viewpoint, and I'm not giving him blind faith, but to Lions fans this feels different to us. Everyone in the organization is on the same page for the first time in literally ever.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

adaz posted:

Also really only applies to their first 2 picks this year, otherwise he's been pretty chalk and normal on their team building strategy.

2 playoff wins with a franchise that hadn't won a playoff game for 30 years is actually quite good, imo.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

ItohRespectArmy posted:

2 playoff wins with a franchise that hadn't won a playoff game for 30 years is actually quite good, imo.

It's not good. It's genuinely insane. He and MCDC turned the Lions around. And now I have to actually fear the Lions...

Sad times indeed.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

adaz posted:

Lions fans deserve to take a victory lap for the poo poo the Gibbs pick got, but they try to stretch that into "heh you thought every pick we made was stupid but it actually loving ruled" as if Jack Campbell at 18 was a brain genius home run move or drafting a TE with a high second round pick is super controversial. (Also I'm pretty sure the median draftink opinion on the draft was more "Well I don't like the positional value with the first rounders, but their second rounders were really good so it kinda balances out I guess?" than "What the gently caress are they doing???")

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m training for taking a lot of victory laps, and my first one will lap around that angry guy up thread

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Lions fans deserve to take a victory lap for the poo poo the Gibbs pick got, but they try to stretch that into "heh you thought every pick we made was stupid but it actually loving ruled" as if Jack Campbell at 18 was a brain genius home run move or drafting a TE with a high second round pick is super controversial. (Also I'm pretty sure the median draftink opinion on the draft was more "Well I don't like the positional value with the first rounders, but their second rounders were really good so it kinda balances out I guess?" than "What the gently caress are they doing???")

Right outside their two first rounders nobody thought anything was crazy and the point about the two first rounders wasn't that they were bad players but like ... You probably could've gotten good players at those positions later and or traded down.

Nobody cares Miami used a second on achnae for example because it was (and is) a good fit.

Anyway outside literally those 2 picks everything he's done has been pretty standard and has (obviously) worked well. But claiming picking 2 low value positions in the first round was 1.) Enough to override all the traditional team building stuff they did and 2.) Was such a monumental success that other teams should follow it is a stretch to say the least.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’ve learned to just stop double guessing Brad Holmes.

The man is a warlock with powers beyond reason.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

adaz posted:

Nobody cares

Then why are u big mad, friend

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Basically as the first round was unfolding the reaction was "haha what the gently caress" and then after LaPorta and Branch it was "great draft that happened in the wrong order," in other words Gibbs and Campbell probably would've fallen to them anyway in many estimations while Branch being available so late was very lucky.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
It is impossible to say when any player will be drafted, so just take the players you want.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Mock drafts are a mistake

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

yeah I think the thing people need to realize is that mock draft boards and are not the same as individual team boards.

Gibbs might not have been there, because maybe just maybe other teams valued him as highly as the Lions did, and he was just a pick that prognosticators missed.

Also we were in peak stupid rear end running backs shouldn't be drafted in the first mode.

Scipiotik posted:

It is impossible to say when any player will be drafted, so just take the players you want.

Mostly this. Like obviously try to maximize value or whatever, but just take dudes if you have conviction on them being good and a good fit.

players >> theoretically obtained players at the maximized value spot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

People had Adetomiwa Adebawore from Northwestern as a first round pick lmao.

he went in the 4th

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I thought it was basically confirmed (as much as you can anyway) that Gibbs wasn't gonna be around past the next like 3-5 picks.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Parallelwoody posted:

I thought it was basically confirmed (as much as you can anyway) that Gibbs wasn't gonna be around past the next like 3-5 picks.

Yeah the rumor was the Pats but who knows. Holmes did an interview on local radio this morning where he paraphrased "free agency is where you shore up your needs, the draft is where just take football guys"

Which means get ready for a WR with our first pick. :emo:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Rashan Gary had his contract restructured freeing up $4.7 million in cap space. Full details still TBD.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

Rashan Gary had his contract restructured freeing up $4.7 million in cap space. Full details still TBD.

99% chance this is setting up for a 4 year Love extension. But given the enormous cap space expansion the Packers might be able to get enough space to sign someone like Winfield in FA.

Won't get my hopes up though, this team has me trained too well.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Scipiotik posted:

absolutely this

Hot Diggity! posted:

Mock drafts are a mistake

and this

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

absolutely this

and this

Signed

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

99% chance this is setting up for a 4 year Love extension. But given the enormous cap space expansion the Packers might be able to get enough space to sign someone like Winfield in FA.

Extension is a given, knowing Ball it'll be an easy out in two years.

If I were a gambling man I'd put money on Winfield getting tagged. Given Hafley's staff connections to Savage I wouldn't completely rule him out on coming back on a prove-it deal unless he has a strong market.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Assuming they are cutting bahk this gets them like 23 mil in free cap space which is enough to both sign your rookie class a handful of cheap fas and an extension for love that will probably have a weird structure because the cap hits they will want to come in like 2025.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Who knows how much of it is actually true and how much is smokescreens, but Holmes said last year that they had 14 players in last year's class with first-round grades, and three of those 14 were Gibbs, Campbell, and Branch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
are the vikings being serious about cousins post achilles or are they doing the jets thing of pretending an older player with a severe injury is just going to be exactly who he was before?

if i was a vikings fan and my team paid kirk cousins like the 10th best qb for multiple years I would rip my novelty viking pigtails out

xbilkis posted:

it was a unique situation, because of Bon Quinn leaving the tesm bereft of talent, and tj hockenson being traded, there were obvious holes to be filled. and since the team was built around its offensive line, running back was more likely to succeed, than in most places. in longer distance future, missing out on pure talent like jalen carter and taking an average LB at 18 may look dumb. we will see]

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 27, 2024