Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Been trying to give the game a serious try over the weekend and got through the story mode and a handful of character episodes to try to figure out who in the gently caress passes the vibe check and who I want to main.

Going into it, I was thinking Reina, King, or Jun for sure. Reina looks awesome, King has pretty much been my mental relation to Tekken since I was a kid even though I didn't really make a serious attempt in the series until 7, and Jun was someone who looked really awesome to me the hour or two I tried playing Tag 2 way back when. Tried to give Asuka and Reina a try in actual matches and it never felt like it was my turn in the former, and the latter I just didn't know what the gently caress I was doing and it felt like I was fighting the controls. I don't mind getting bodied at that stage, but Asuka for sure didn't pass the vibe check on having fun while losing, and Reina I fell like I need to stew on a little more.

I did go online with King and press buttons a lot; worked a lot better than I would have expected lmfao.

Practiced Jun for a bit but some of her combo strings just... didn't feel that intuitive for me? This isn't a Jun problem; it's a me problem, but I can't explain it any better than that. The directions and the presses like for some of her kicks just didn't gel with me.

Unexpectedly I think I landed on Alisa though; I dabbled with her in T7 but nothing serious. Here, her zooming around seems cool, and I absolutely love her rocket punches and chainsaw moves. So I guess now, I'll probably do Alisa, King, Jun, and Reina in that order, and maybe one day my execution will not be poo poo where I can actually go EWGF on both sides consistently rather than when I'm only on the right side 60% of the time for some reason to do Reina more justice.

TL;DR: game's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

MechaX posted:

Practiced Jun for a bit but some of her combo strings just... didn't feel that intuitive for me? This isn't a Jun problem; it's a me problem, but I can't explain it any better than that. The directions and the presses like for some of her kicks just didn't gel with me.

Don't worry, this is a definite thing you need to allow for in any FG. Some people need the strings to flow right, or it just feels wrong, and you just won't gel with them. I feel envious at the players who can decouple that so easily, but that's just how it is.

That said, Tekken does allow you to progress past it, and if you have characters like that the only advice is 'Give them time', because it's just your muscle memory rebelling at the motion. Give them a chance, and you'll find your perspectives shift because your ingrained memories are.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
yeah so I'm just gonna fight CPUs for the foreseeable future. I can't just quick match because I get a guy who is infinitely better than I am and I can't go ranked because even with "matching" the guys at 1000 prowess are stomping my rear end with grab breaks, long strings, and whatever. I'll get my full price entertainment out of arcade quest I guess

edit what a joke i can't beat medium cpus in the third gym lol

Edit 2 it's not all bad I won a ranked match! With king, doing grapples over and over. Far fewer buttons to remember

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 26, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ironic since King has the longest move list in the game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

King is a good introduction to realising 90% of movesets can just be ignored

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

SyntheticPolygon posted:

King is a good introduction to realising 90% of movesets can just be ignored

I feel like the concept of movesets is for people who are good at the game.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

One useful document that was circulating in the tekken 7 days was a big list of each characters top 10 (maybe 15) moves and why they were good. The tekken library spreadsheet is nice but doesn't comment on the moves too much.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Urethane posted:

One useful document that was circulating in the tekken 7 days was a big list of each characters top 10 (maybe 15) moves and why they were good. The tekken library spreadsheet is nice but doesn't comment on the moves too much.

A huge upgrade would be having on hit/block frame data for all these moves.
Okay this df2 is "good and safe". What makes it good and safe?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
So thanks for the words of encouragement and advice from everyone who read my tirade. I expected to get dunked on but you showed that FG players are real ones and I really appreciate that. :)

I joined the bears discord and saw J-Katz put out a new bears guide and there's a lot I've been doing wrong like my reliance on qcf2,2 and b1+2,1+2 in hunting bear stance - they were working but only because people I was playing didn't know the match-up. I'm going to take some time to work on my game plan in practice and take what I've learnt into player matches where there's nothing at stake (not even pointless internet numbers!), then take a few days off when Ed comes out this week in SF6.

Urethane posted:

i realize you are salty but you really shouldn't be playing one of the bears if these are your complaints. pick a character that addresses some of these issues and that you can play in a safer style

Honestly I will do at some point. I know how I play FGs and I focus on one character until I burn myself out and go pick up someone else - with SF6 I hit a brick wall at D1 with Blanka and dropped him for Rashid for a while and only just went back to him. I do like the playstyle of the bears with baiting out whiff punishes and capitalising on it for big damage and my reliance on qcf2,2 at least shows that I understand using their long arms to safely jab away from a distance. Right now when I do try to go into practice with another character I get about five minutes in before deciding I'd rather work on my bear gameplay.

I think what didn't help was - without going in to too much detail - yesterday was not a great day in my personal life and then I got stomped on in ranked by skilled players and characters I hadn't fought before like Raven, Lee, Zafina so I was playing badly anyway. That's definitely on me for going in to a session feeling toxic and approaching a fight I didn't know with the wrong mindset and I stopped before it got worse but not before I splurged here to blow off steam.

Plus bears are my favourite animal and it's funny to watch super serious martial arts people getting beaten up by a bear that knows karate. :)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I feel like the concept of movesets is for people who are good at the game.

Its drat true

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Played a bit as Claudio this weekend, I'm terrible, I've been blown up by a Lili alternating her low-high hand attack (dunno which move is it, seems like a d1,2) and her mid instant attack, me blocking sometimes, and never punishing because I didn't know what else to do other than 1,2.

This game is an endless knowledge check and being aware I am getting read like an open book feels bad.

On the other hand I've blown up people who don't respect wr2 and wr4 and punished with SRB 4,2 which is always very cool.
Claudio is cool. I wasn't really into his aesthetic but I'm starting to warm up to him.

Char fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 26, 2024

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Claudio visually feels like a Final Fantasy character dropped into Tekken and I'm totally on board for it. He's cool as gently caress.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Claudio is a JoJo part 5 character pretty much

I love that Tekken has a mix of "serious martial artists" and then you have Mishima style Bear, Cyborg and robots, mystical magic, and the main characters shoot eye lasers at each other on a pretty regular basis.

Tekken owns

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 26, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Claudio is a JoJo part 5 character pretty much

Down to the ARRIVEDERCI in his Rage Art
I'm Italian and all he spouts is nonsense

But on a serious note, he has fewer gimmicks than the rest of the cast, he has poor lows, he has few frametraps, and he forces me to learn how to sidestep to use his SS4.
I'm finding him a great character if you want to learn Honest Tekken, moreso than Paul and Asuka who I've tried so far

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Claudio is Bruno's Son confirmed

Char posted:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tekken has Eye lasers, Magic Ninjas, Robots, and Patricide, but it's really about the horror of late stage capitalism

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

It's also about unrequited love. See: Xiaoyu and Jin, Jun and Kazuya, Kuma and Panda Ganryu and Julia, Paul/Law and money...

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DeadButDelicious posted:

It's also about unrequited love. See: Xiaoyu and Jin, Jun and Kazuya, Kuma and Panda Ganryu and Julia, Paul/Law and money...

I dunno, based on the ending I would say Jin and Xiouyu finally have a decent chance at it :3:

I was surprised how much I ended up liking Jin by the end of this game. They did a good job giving him a redemption arc

I love what a Baddy Reina is. She might be my new character to play after I finish dabbling with Leroy

Will probably go back to Jack again every so often though, he's too much fun to Gorilla Mode

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 26, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How do you deal with Law/ Hworang as Jack? I try to stay out of range but that doesn't work against men with lightning for legs.

The speed is an issue, and I feel I just need to get better at knowledge check of their mid/ low/ low/ mid mixup poo poo

Paul seems to be a monster in 8, at least where I am learning Jack. Does he get better versions of Death Fist in Heat? It seems to come out so fast.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 26, 2024

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

How do you deal with Law/ Hworang as Jack? I try to stay out of range but that doesn't work against men with lightning for legs.

The speed is an issue, and I feel I just need to get better at knowledge check of their mid/ low/ low/ mid mixup poo poo

Paul seems to be a monster in 8, at least where I am learning Jack. Does he get better versions of Death Fist in Heat? It seems to come out so fast.

Idk what rank you are but you play a big gorilla mode character like me and when I go against Law/Hwoarang my go-to strat is to abuse the gently caress out of power crush to steal my turn and get a combo while
abusing long-range mids and lows to keep them out as much as possible. It's an uphill battle though for sure as they both have a nasty pressure game - I wouldn't say I'm consistent against them yet.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DeadButDelicious posted:

Idk what rank you are but you play a big gorilla mode character like me and when I go against Law/Hwoarang my go-to strat is to abuse the gently caress out of power crush to steal my turn and get a combo while
abusing long-range mids and lows to keep them out as much as possible. It's an uphill battle though for sure as they both have a nasty pressure game - I wouldn't say I'm consistent against them yet.

Thanks for this! That's pretty much what I am doing. I find Jack's dfw23 is an excellent good range sweeping low that gently caress people up. I try to abuse grabs on them too, and when I corner them I go for broke with pressure.

Have you found a remedy to Steve? I find him to be one if the hardest knowledge checks for me, I seem him a lot, but he has like 4 stances that look the same and then he needs like 4 hits to ruin your day.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 26, 2024

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Nothing wrong with learning Bears as your first character. They can be played in a clean and non-gimmicky way if you like.

It going to be tougher at first but sounds like you got the right idea in regards to whiff punishing. Bears are great and even more fun to play in T8.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

poe meater posted:

Nothing wrong with learning Bears as your first character. They can be played in a clean and non-gimmicky way if you like.

It going to be tougher at first but sounds like you got the right idea in regards to whiff punishing. Bears are great and even more fun to play in T8.

^Kuma with the Heihachi stuff is probably the most fun he's ever been

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Thanks for this! That's pretty much what I am doing. I find Jack's dfw24 is an excellent good range sweeping low that gently caress people up. I try to abuse grabs on them too, and when I corner them I go for broke with pressure.

Have you found a remedy to Steve? I find him to be one if the hardest knowledge checks for me, I seem him a lit, but he has like 4 stances that look the same and then he needs like 4 hits to ruin your day.

Seems you and I are on the same wavelength. Bear has a nasty db2+3 that deals enormous damage but more importantly has range so it can be sometimes safe. Also any string you have that ends in a surprise low is great to keep them honest. For me that's 2,1,3 but I haven't touched Jack except to make an Abraham Lincoln costume for him. As for Steve unfortunately I've fought one Steve and he beat my arse so no help there but if you come up with something I'd love to hear it.

poe meater posted:

Thanks - I'm just having a lot of fun with bears when I'm not in a toxic mindset of chasing internet points to compensate for rock bottom self esteem! I do have my eye on a couple of other characters like Alisa, Claudio, Raven, who I want to pick up at a later date but for now I'm happy with the uphill struggle.

E: that post ended a bit cringe so here's a touch of death* combo with Kuma; https://twitter.com/Magishinobi/status/1761662394164724119

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 26, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

So I occasionally watch Darksydephil compilations when it comes to fighting games, and lmao these hot takes:

Playing King: "You know King is way harder to play than any of the Mishimas"

Playing Yoshimitsu: "He has NO WAY TO INTERUPT THESE MASHERS DOOD"

Apparently there is no way to counter Alissa, she's just uninteruptable

he plays every character by running in, spamming unsafe dial combo, grab

Amazing pro fighting player insight

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 26, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Tbf as a lovely Tekken player myself, Alissa feels extremely oppressive. Though obviously this is a falsehood and I need to figure it out. I can’t believe you’d subject yourself to that guy lol.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieF_H416wW0

Rip did a watch along for a korean tournament. One of the first in-person tournaments with high level players (I think). Chanel, Jeondding CBM, etc. Anyways, this and running into victor more in matches has convinced me he's not only a poo poo character aesthetically but from a design standpoint too. Too oppressive of a WR setup combined with too good power crush options (which are already annoying to begin with this game with powercrush heat engagers), the broken throw, ridiculous range on too many moves, and why does he have projectile... no wait... why does he have a projectile that does chip? Absolute garbage character from top too bottom.

I'm no pro but it seems to me with the focus on heat, chip, and plus frames to blow people up, and a move away from poking (that can get blown throw with armor) people are abusing the characters with good or cheesy wr moves since its the safest way too get + frames and or chip. Drag, victor, Azucena etc.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 26, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

unattended spaghetti posted:

Tbf as a lovely Tekken player myself, Alissa feels extremely oppressive. Though obviously this is a falsehood and I need to figure it out. I can’t believe you’d subject yourself to that guy lol.

I watch other people deal with that guy on occasion

Like cut him up into digestible, mainly because he's the saltiest guy ever and I find that funny sometimes

Alissa Is absolutely a knowledge check character, don't feel bad

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Seltzer posted:

Too oppressive of a WR setup combined with too good power crush options (which are already annoying to begin with this game with powercrush heat engagers), the broken throw, ridiculous range on too many moves, and why does he have projectile... no wait... why does he have a projectile that does chip? Absolute garbage character from top too bottom.

What's broken about Victor's throw? Does it loop?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It's break window is way smaller than most throws, in a way that people think is broken and unintentional.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

40 Proof Listerine posted:

What's broken about Victor's throw? Does it loop?

Everyone elses window to break is 20 frames his is 14. I think it's been already mentioned that it's going to be addressed. IIRC Fakhuram had the same issue on release too (14 frames then patched). I saw someone speculate that its legacy code from t5 or whenever when all the throws were 14. Anyways its the icing on his cheesecake atm.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Nice Van My Man posted:

It's break window is way smaller than most throws, in a way that people think is broken and unintentional.

One of the devs mentioned this is unintended and will be patched

https://twitter.com/nkt_dreamer/status/1755135603216396382?s=20

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Seltzer posted:

Everyone elses window to break is 20 frames his is 14. I think it's been already mentioned that it's going to be addressed. IIRC Fakhuram had the same issue on release too (14 frames then patched). I saw someone speculate that its legacy code from t5 or whenever when all the throws were 14. Anyways its the icing on his cheesecake atm.

And it's tedious because every Victor knows it, and is rinsing the poo poo out of it. It's basically Power Crush/Throw alternation guesswork.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Got thru a few ranks with Dragunov using b+4,2,1 and d2 along with running 2 but I'm stuck at the top of yellow rank now, will win 3 rounds with that string and a few others against people 3 ranks higher then I'll run into a Jin or Reina 3 ranks lower that seems to literally never have an opening that is more negative than any of my starting attacks so I just die and go back and forth in the same rank. Keep getting up to promotion to orange and then losing at the last second but overall I do feel like I'm improving. Learning to not rely on grabs so much tho the 1+2 grab still gets most people. Running 2 is still the star of the show overall because even if they block it I'm usually at an advantage. May do some quick plays for a while to get better at blocking and knowing when to take my "turn".

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Mr E posted:

Got thru a few ranks with Dragunov using b+4,2,1 and d2 along with running 2 but I'm stuck at the top of yellow rank now, will win 3 rounds with that string and a few others against people 3 ranks higher then I'll run into a Jin or Reina 3 ranks lower that seems to literally never have an opening that is more negative than any of my starting attacks so I just die and go back and forth in the same rank. Keep getting up to promotion to orange and then losing at the last second but overall I do feel like I'm improving. Learning to not rely on grabs so much tho the 1+2 grab still gets most people. Running 2 is still the star of the show overall because even if they block it I'm usually at an advantage. May do some quick plays for a while to get better at blocking and knowing when to take my "turn".

Might be time to watch your replays to see what's happening. Not necessarily dissecting your opponent's movelist but maybe one or two strings that troubled you. See if you can duck something or check the frame data.

Just a few minutes here and there will add up.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Every Alisa i face in ranked is played by someone on a lagswitched slomo sideshow to take max advantage of the active damage frames lmfao. Like it's been more than 5 times it's not a coincidence.

I sometimes get salty at losing to poo poo I know better than to lose to but tbh NOTHING makes me rage froth at the mouth than people who are higher rank than me who beat me in the first set but who i beat in the second...who cancel the third round.
Your loving grandma could be having a heart attack i do not give a gently caress get BACK HERE YOU loving COWARD!!!!! Bryan has tasted your blood and needs to FINISH THIS!!!

I also have rage art set to the row of buttons im not using on my stick so i can dramatically hardslap my finishers.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Alisa is 100% the character I run into in Ranked and still have no idea how to gameplan against. I love Tekken because it happily embraces characters with wtf styles like she has.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am tempted to get a leverless controller to try out. On the other hand though I do have a mechanical keyboard that I could simply use.

Still, is there a decent leverless controller that is reasonably cheap for PC?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://haute42.com/

all their stuff is good and cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Char posted:

But on a serious note, he has fewer gimmicks than the rest of the cast, he has poor lows, he has few frametraps, and he forces me to learn how to sidestep to use his SS4.
I'm finding him a great character if you want to learn Honest Tekken, moreso than Paul and Asuka who I've tried so far

Claudios ff4 is straight up disgusting. Fast mid that gets followups on ch and is onl-1 on block??