Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/CiaranRH93/status/1761863528166608994

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
That's a fightful article that's very likely using Google translate to "report on" a tospo article (a newspaper most known for pushing kayfabe) . So ymmv how seriously you take it

The state of wrestling journalism

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

That's a fightful article that's very likely using Google translate to "report on" a tospo article (a newspaper most known for pushing kayfabe) . So ymmv how seriously you take it

The state of wrestling journalism

Good point. I looked around and someone else translated it as " I’m going to be leaving as though I’m not coming back to NJPW again."

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

You'd think one of these "wrestling journalists" that does allegedly global coverage had someone who knows the language on staff but that is apparently an impossible ask

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
they can't even bother getting the story right when everything's in English, if anything they're probably happy to have the language barrier to use as an excuse if they get called out on their poo poo reporting

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not to mentiont hey also have to decode when the Japanese paper/magazine is working/be worked or if is actually giving legit business info

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Naito really does dine-and-dash and leave Tokyo Sports with the check, it's a drat travesty.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Nj cup brackets

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1762024920232632646?t=4qrbDHwTko0_V80z6vzM1A&s=19

There are a few shitters as is tournament tradition. I could live without yujiro in tournaments

Overall there is some good stuff though

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If Chase beats Ishii I'm going to lose it.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lamuella posted:

If Chase beats Ishii I'm going to lose it.

The real njpw spiteful special is Ren Narita beating taichi to stop the dangerous tekkers match

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Jack Perry gonna beat Shooter and I'm gonna laaaaaugh.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

unimportantguy posted:

Jack Perry gonna beat Shooter and I'm gonna laaaaaugh.

Ok I don't follow US wrestling at all. I don't think I've ever seen a match of his. Why is he getting such a reaction. Is it just the punk stuff or does he suck in general

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Ok I don't follow US wrestling at all. I don't think I've ever seen a match of his. Why is he getting such a reaction. Is it just the punk stuff or does he suck in general

The Punk stuff turned a lot of people against him, but that's not the only reason. His promo skills have never been good, and his heel run was kinda floundering even before Brawl In. But it seems that the Punk incident and the subsequent absence has made people forget that he is a pretty good wrestler and turned Perry's perception from "potential future star" to "talentless never-was". Whether his style translates well to New Japan, I don't know.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AEW watchers are weird.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

it wont happen but mox should beat naito for the iwgp title imo

Just say no to part-timers holding top titles. If you're not wrestling on a nothing 6 man in Koga then you don't get to hold the World Heavyweight Title imo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zack Sabre Jr. going all the way baby, despite breaking his heart when he has to fight his former Dangerous Tekkers partner on 3/15 :gonk:

Jack Perry and Shota Umino go to a Double DQ/Draw/Countout some bullshit etc. I wanted Shingo to make it further but Uemura needs something goddammit. David Finlay makes it to a Quarter Final and EVIL makes it to the Semi finals because I'm assuming New Japan will do so to spite me, personally.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 26, 2024

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Yuj/Yano and Tanga/GoK are cursed, but on the flip side we have Newman/Gabe which should be top bants

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

He's a very good wrestler who was taking some time to find his feet as a heel because he's not a natural promo guy. Some rather odd people round this up to him being the drizzling shits. Or to put it more succinctly:

forkboy84 posted:

AEW watchers are weird.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
lol I've never even watched a Perry match. I was just making a joke about NJPW pushing random foreigners over their home-grown "Future Ace" kid. If he's actually good I'd love some match recs.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Adam Cole, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson vs. Christian Cage, Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus from Full Gear 2021 is an astonishing trios match.

The "pillars" match of Darby Allin vs. Jack Perry vs. MJF vs. Sammy Guevara from Double Or Nothing 2023 is also really good.

For singles matches he had a world title match against Kenny Omega on a random Dynamite in about June 2021 that was great.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Not helping kill the rumors Coughlin's gone

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The PWG match with Jake Atlas was good from BOLA 2019.

Honestly wouldn't say he's great. He's still relatively green. But I do think he'd benefit from a tour or two of New Japan where he just gets to cut a 3-5 minute promo backstage with no real pressure or guidance every night

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm surprised Perry isn't sticking to US shows. Good for him, though, this should be good experience.

I hope Henare's absence doesn't mean he's dead.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

unimportantguy posted:

lol I've never even watched a Perry match. I was just making a joke about NJPW pushing random foreigners over their home-grown "Future Ace" kid. If he's actually good I'd love some match recs.

My favorite match of his was the cage match vs. Luchasaurus at Full Gear 2022. He also had a really good/hilarious match against DOUKI on Rampage right before he turned full heel and you can see how he works in that style.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 26, 2024

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
He had a good match with MJF at Double or Nothing 2020 too

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Jerusalem posted:

Zack Sabre Jr. going all the way baby, despite breaking his heart when he has to fight his former Dangerous Tekkers partner on 3/15 :gonk:

It's going to break my heart too. :cry:

Evil vs Finlay final, Evil's going to win and attack Naito at the anniversary show. The title match will be under Russo New York Rules where there's no refs and the wrestlers are supposed to count their own pinfalls.

A Goto vs Yoshi Hashi semi is possible which would rule, as will Goto/Ishii, if sobriety triumphs in the booking chambers.

SG Bamboo posted:

Yuj/Yano and Tanga/GoK are cursed, but on the flip side we have Newman/Gabe which should be top bants
I am still on my fantasticamania buzz and read Yujiro Takahashi as Mister Takahashi. I got really excited thinking there was going to be another Yano vs Hiromu classic until I remembered this is heavyweights only. Glad I figured it out now at least, if it was day of the show and The Yuj came out instead I'd have been inconsolable.

I saw him in the first few years of AEW when I still watched complete shows but I don't remember his matches. Nothing terrible but also nothing incredible to my tastes at least. Regardless, he's God Tier in my heart just for being the guy who finally got CM Punk out of AEW. I would legit send him christmas cards the rest of my life if I knew his address. In my original post on ten best wrestlers of 2023 I gave him an honorable mention for "doing what had to be done but no one else would". I edited it out though as I don't really know what the mood around here is towards AEW and WWE beyond the MOTYC thread, and thought it might come across as needlessly provocative.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not a bad field though I did expect hiromu to be in it. Not sure who wins it thought I do know Jack Perry beating shooter is gonna be something

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's a world where I can see Perry make the semis, actually.
If he beats Shota, the next guy he should plausibly lose to is SANADA. And they do have history from last year's Forbidden Door...

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Gaz-L posted:

There's a world where I can see Perry make the semis, actually.
If he beats Shota, the next guy he should plausibly lose to is SANADA. And they do have history from last year's Forbidden Door...

I totally forgot about that Sanada match, I remember at the time thinking it was really weird. He had a match with Rush last year I liked too but it was basically just Rush beating the gently caress out of him for 15 minutes, not really a showcase for Jack Perry.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
that match is a little strange in a bubble since it's mostly SANADA beating up on Jungle Jack and winning with a third-tier finisher, helps to know that Perry was kayfabe frustrated with his inability to move up the ranks and turned on his then tag partner Hook after the contest

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Putting all my money on Callum Newman going all the way

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Putting all my money on Callum Newman going all the way

This but Boltin Oleg. He should be ragdolling dudes around higher in the card already.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Final's gotta be Sanada vs. ZSJ. It only makes sense to put them both way over to replace the holes made by Okada/Ospreay leaving.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ziggler vs Tana is on for Sakura Genesis, btw.

Bad form, btw, spoiling that he won't lose the belt in TNA :v:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Not helping kill the rumors Coughlin's gone

It's not so much the rumours that he's leaving. Njpw will in the medium term struggle to fight off the duopoly to keep english speaking talent. It's the rumours that he's retiring that's worrisome. That would be very sad.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'll chime in as an AEW fan who used to watch NJPW but fell off hard during the pandemic. It's this:

unimportantguy posted:

Especially when Yuj/Yano is the next match in the bracket below them. I don't remember where I saw it (MOTYC thread?) but whoever said Gedo relies too heavily on "they're young, they can get over later" and constantly beats any guys with potential where they lose any credibility was spot on. It's a big part of why I fell off hard - especially when all the guys I liked left / got old.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I think Perry is really good and has a ton of potential but he should absolutely not be beating Shota at this point in time

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

all of you overlooking clear MOTY in yujiro vs yano

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

On one hand I get probably not wanting to run Shota/Naito right now as Shota needs to win his next title match and Naito should at least hold it till Dominion....But you kinda of telegraphed him posing pretty bad here so lamo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I think Perry is really good and has a ton of potential but he should absolutely not be beating Shota at this point in time

Seems like a Bullet Club angle setup to me but I hope I'm wrong.