Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

People who bring mortar sentries to open map bug missions hate Democracy

Regular mortars sure, but I love the EM Mortar, even against bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's kind of wild that three of the most deadly bugs in the roster only appear under special conditions. Stalkers being their own special thing is neat but it's kinda crazy that the spitters only appear in certain missions, and it's always much easier when you don't get them. Speaking of, is there a way to tell if/which spitters will show up before hitting the ground?

Imagine if Rocket and Shield Devastators only appeared in half of all Bot missions and you could only get one or the other.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Owl Inspector posted:

if I was a bot I would put a giant glowing LED on a random part of my body far away from my weak spot

I keep having this thought every time a berserker shrugs off so much small arms fire

Edit: also regarding swimming, my rule is everyone gets one. Because i definitely had to test if i could swim at all myself and drowned almost instantly.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 26, 2024

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

People hate me because I bring a 380 mm. But wait until I upgrade the damage.

Also, does anyone use HDR in this? Seems broken on my poo poo.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly the barrages just feel far too spread out to really do much of value even if you throw it in the middle of a base.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ZeusCannon posted:

I keep having this thought every time a berserker shrugs off so much small arms fire

This is why I love being a Slugga Boy, as the Slugger can stunlock a berserker. I mean, yeah it keeps moving but its attack animations get interrupted which no other primary does to it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Regular mortars sure, but I love the EM Mortar, even against bugs.

EM Mortar is a real bro, it absolutely shines as a way to set up enemies to get focused down by either your team or other sentries.

Owl Inspector posted:

I like the eagle cluster bomb which is extremely wide and wipes out nearly everything that isn’t heavy armor all of my teammates.

Fixed that for you :smuggo:

But to be real, I've seen more players (at higher levels) recently use it much more effectively. However, it is one part of the equation that adds up to "do not play with this person, they will murder the team more than the enemy". That formula being - minefield (either one), eagle cluster, grenade launcher (especially grenade launcher + supply pack). Someone with two or more of those is going to spell the death of your team. I've watched pubbies use Eagle Cluster in a panic against a Hulk (hint: it's not very effective against Hulks) and wipe out teammates who were trying to pull their rear end out of the fire.

Rockman1811
Jun 3, 2021

Local funnyman makes bad jokes
Man, I didn't actually know how large the range of the 380mm stratagem until it completely hosed my team during an extraction.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm doing suicidal+ on bugs only. Bots are way harder than bugs. Chargers are very easy to avoid if you turn your camera around sometimes and look for them. I've rodeod 4 of them at the same time away from everyone else then just left them behind a rock. They weren't worth the effort of killing or using a strategem on.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Honestly the barrages just feel far too spread out to really do much of value even if you throw it in the middle of a base.

works great on your teamates

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Walking barrage seems somewhat useful because at least you know the general direction that it will be traveling. We had quite a few situations where we were pinned down but had to blow up a spawner 100+ yards in front of us and chucking a walking barrage usually takes care of it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

This is why I was hoping against hope that the More Guns upgrade would double the number of shots. I like the walking barrage the most because the directional nature means it's far less prone to team killing and you get more range on it, but even then hucking it at a heavy bot base you're a lotto winner if you get three factories.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rockman1811 posted:

Man, I didn't actually know how large the range of the 380mm stratagem until it completely hosed my team during an extraction.

the 380 should have the spread of the 120 and the 120 should have the radius of a hellbomb. as they exist there is literally 0 reason to ever take them on any difficulty. the walking barrage is decent since at least it moves away from the team and you can use it in various ways. Even it should be tighter

eagle cluster loving rules and is a great oh poo poo button during bug breaches, and to wipe out most of a bot drop. it even does damage to heavies but is obviously not a solution when the heavy is by itself.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Darox posted:

This is why I was hoping against hope that the More Guns upgrade would double the number of shots. I like the walking barrage the most because the directional nature means it's far less prone to team killing and you get more range on it, but even then hucking it at a heavy bot base you're a lotto winner if you get three factories.

It doesn't. It just gives you 1 extra barrage. I still have yet to try my "all 4 of us throw a 380 in this exact one spot and then run the gently caress away" experiment to see how well it saturates.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Longpig Bard posted:

Works fine for me, in Win11 with latest Nvidia drivers.

Although I don't like it doesn't have its own hdr/brightness settings.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'll say it again, I think high-level Bots are way easier than Bugs. For example:
-4 Hulks are way easier to manage than 4 Chargers.
-Bots have nothing like Stalkers that will appear directly behind you and wombo-combo you to death on top of being a pain in the rear end to kill.
-Bot outposts are much easier to cheese than Bug nests.

To be sure, bots do have a teensy bit more bullshit deaths (anyone who's ever been hard read by a Rocket Devastator's rocket or sniped from across the map by a cannon can attest to this) but everything about them is ultimately much more manageable in ways that are less likely to result in accidental TKs.

Darox posted:

As a 380mm Barrage lover, the fact that you can huck it into a bot base and have it do most of the work for you is actually good. The thing you don't want to do against bots is get into protracted firefights with them, and it's very easy to sneak up on a bot base with Light Armor + reduced visibility, huck the beacon in, and run away before they can respond. Sometimes you won't destroy everything, but you'll usually destroy most things and coming back to mop up is pretty simple after that.

Comparatively, the Orbital Laser is a much better guarantee that you'll wipe out a heavy base but it is limited in supply whereas the 380mm is infinite, so you can spend the 380mm freely on medium bases and sub-objectives rather than needing to save it for a big threat.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 26, 2024

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Longpig Bard posted:

It was fine until the recent patch, I assumed it was RTX HDR loving with it from the new drivers. Turning it off in the settings while having HDR still enabled in windows seems to fix it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Someone suggest earlier than the only valid way of using 380 is to throw both it and the walking barrage at the same target, and they're right. Combining the two, especially with the barrages upgrade, increases the salvo density enough to be more reliable about doing heavy damage to big bot bases.

as far as i can tell the 120mm has the same scatter radius as the 380mm (~60m safe distance) , just its hard to tell because its pretty rare for any given spot to take a hit from it.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 26, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

I'll say it again, I think high-level Bots are way easier than Bugs. For example:
-Bots have nothing like Stalkers that will appear directly behind you and wombo-combo you to death on top of being a pain in the rear end to kill.

To be sure, bots do have a teensy bit more bullshit deaths (anyone who's ever been hard read by a Rocket Devastator's rocket or sniped from across the map by a cannon can attest to this) but everything about them is ultimately much more manageable in ways that are less likely to result in accidental TKs.

Chargers don't headshot me with 8 rockets from 100m away. And again, Stalkers are manageable if you just look around and don't stay looking down your sights for long periods of time. I'm fairly certain that their AI knows when you're ADSing and specifically flank and target you if you do. Same way Hunters do.

Hell, their invisible effect is easier to see at long range, I see them all the time and call them out and then we prioritize going the direction they came from to go kill their nest. And half a mag of breaker kills them without having to get around them to the side or anything.

Fabricators are a lot easier to blow up than bug holes. I like taking the spear on full squad runs cause I can just pop fabs across the map and not even have to walk over there.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The basic and quickly purchased “Eagle Airstike”, a bombing run with a half dozen(?) light bombs, is one of the best and most versatile stratagems in the game, IMO. Also for Eagle strikes don’t be worried by the amount of “uses”, that’s just how many are immediately loaded in Eagle-1, after you spend them all she has to fly back to rearm with more (which takes a few minutes). Previously I have almost always run with that Stratagem.

However I’m starting to consider replacing it on Bug missions . The nature of bug nests makes killing bug holes difficult with the angled bomb strike and there are better options for killing bugs out in the open.

This is my favorite Eagle stratagem. Everyone seems to go nuts over the 500kg bomb but the basic airstrike will also wreck tanks/titans, hits over a much wider area, detonates a bit faster, doesn't obstruct your vision as much, has more charges, and is waaay better at blowing up bot closets. You're right that it has trouble hitting bug holes, but the bomb has such a deceptively small AoE that it isn't so great for that either. At least the airstrike will occasionally get lucky and wipe out 3 of them.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 26, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eagle Airstrike and Eagle Cluster Bomb are my two always-used stratagems. The Airstrike does a ton of damage and fucks up bases and big guys. The Cluster bomb just kills SO many dudes.

My other two are situational, but I usually bring a precision strike and a MG.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've tried with the 500kg bomb but didn't end up loving it. It was not as reliable at blowing up buildings/holes as the eagle airstrike and the fuse timer made it hard to nail big targets with it like a charger. It's great for chucking into a group as you're retreating or about to push in to clear out a lot of chaff but I think the airstrike is just as good at that too if not better because you're more likely to get collateral damage from one of the bombs that drops. The cooldown didn't bother me much because I was only really using it when we reached a base so most of the time it was ready when I needed it. Don't get me wrong it's cool as hell but I don't think I'll be bringing it regularly.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I still am not sure which bug the stalker is. I know it's gotta be one of the medium sized ones because im not sure whst the difference is between those ones either except that one has armor on the front

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The 500kg bomb just doesn't have as much of a kill radius as it looks like it should. I've definitely put it back in the box.

I'm definitely looking forward to a balance pass. I'd like to feel like I can take something other than the Autocannon / Railgun.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

thalweg posted:

I still am not sure which bug the stalker is. I know it's gotta be one of the medium sized ones because im not sure whst the difference is between those ones either except that one has armor on the front

It’s big, white, turns invisible, and only appears if you have a hidden side objective nest on the map.

Imagine a hunter, but twice the size.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Internet Explorer posted:

The 500kg bomb just doesn't have as much of a kill radius as it looks like it should. I've definitely put it back in the box.

I'm definitely looking forward to a balance pass. I'd like to feel like I can take something other than the Autocannon / Railgun.

It's my dedicated anti-Titan button.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Eagle 500kg is a godsend against bots when you absolutely need to destroy some structure/emplacement. Just get the beacon near a mortar, cannon tower, AA gun, etc. and it will blow it up good and fast. Probably pretty decent against Tanks too because they aren't too challenging to get to stay in one place long enough, but anytime I see a Tank I usually call down a Orbital Laser or Railcannon strike to take it out ASAP. Most pubbies rolling high-level bot missions seem to be pretty in-sync when it comes to nuking Tanks, at least.

...Now that I think about it, it's been really weird that I've seen pubbies who are prone to kicking everyone when playing Challenging or Hard missions but the ones I run into playing 7 or 8 are pretty chill.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

thalweg posted:

It's nearly the size of the charger, and looks like the Hunter's bigger cousin.

The smaller medium ones without armor are the Warriors.

The medium ones that are about the size of the Warriors but have fuckoff armor plates all over their head/front legs and hunker down when you start to shoot them are Hive Guardians.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lol I love that "Whats a stalker look like?" and "Theyre invisible" are technically compatible question/answers

They are also annoyingly tanky but thankfully not armored

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am so happy there are no fly-out numbers so that we can all use a vibes-based number system to justify our weapon choices.

Also the OG liberator is weirdly useful the entire game I really thought it was going to end up sucking.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

jokes posted:

It's my dedicated anti-Titan button.
Yeah the 500kg looks like a big nuke but it's really more of an anti-tank strike with a bit of AoE as a bonus. Having the extra charge from the third hangar upgrade makes it a lot more convenient though.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

My pet calldown that I almost never see other people use is the Gatling Barrage, particularly against bugs. It's a low cooldown area denial/clear that's great for throwing at bug breaches, at your feet while running away, or at any good chokepoint bugs are funneling through. The area is small enough that you can stay safe while up close but still big enough to completely cover a corridor or breach, and it staggers most stuff that doesn't die immediately.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eagle cluster supremacy. Put half a brain cell into where you're chucking that beacon and it won't wipe any helldivers except the ones that run TOWARDS the shiny things from the sky and nobody cares about them. For everyone else? Spot a bug breach gas geyser, wait a few seconds for stuff to begin to emerge, toss your beacon and by the time it arrives the wave finishes emerging from the ground only to get minced by a glorious display of pyrotechnic democracy. If you want to get wild and crazy with advanced placement you can Benny Hill enormous trains of bugs, drop the beacon just a few feet behind yourself while staying on the run the whole time and then watch the kill counter go higher and higher.

I've been meaning to experiment with the gas strategem. Do the gas clouds cause team damage to other helldivers? If respirators prevent team damage I'm gonna go apeshit on that one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cluster bomb kills helldivers a lot because it’s so wide, but it’s also so consistent where it hits that it’s more helldivers killing themselves by running up the side of the airstrike after it’s been thrown and not understanding that it hits a long line perpendicular to the throw. there isn’t really a question of “am I in range of this or not” like artillery - if the cluster bomb was thrown appropriately far from you then it’s on you if you put yourself in the line. I think this will get better over time as people learn the differences between types of strikes and know where is safe from looking at the label on the red beacon.

I’m glad the game is generally playable at all times now and hopefully the devs can get out of crisis mode for a bit to start focusing on gameplay.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 26, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

explosivo posted:

I've tried with the 500kg bomb but didn't end up loving it. It was not as reliable at blowing up buildings/holes as the eagle airstrike and the fuse timer made it hard to nail big targets with it like a charger. It's great for chucking into a group as you're retreating or about to push in to clear out a lot of chaff but I think the airstrike is just as good at that too if not better because you're more likely to get collateral damage from one of the bombs that drops. The cooldown didn't bother me much because I was only really using it when we reached a base so most of the time it was ready when I needed it. Don't get me wrong it's cool as hell but I don't think I'll be bringing it regularly.

It has a better feel once you get the +1 uses upgrade, since it only starts with 1. It's really best for dropping directly on Bile Titans, hehe.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

LuiCypher posted:

You can completely ignore all terminids aside from stalkers and cheese nests of any size solo. Multiple chargers are only a problem if you demand to fight them for some reason and they aren't even in the same realm as flamethrower or rocket hulks. It's why all the sample farmers run bug maps. I can clear the samples, grenade 4-6 holes out of 10, run in circles airstriking the rest and just run away. Egg hatcheries are like 20 seconds solo and the map can be cleared in <15 minutes.

At objectives where you need to fight you can drop a charger in 5-6 seconds knocking the armor off of its front leg. The weak point is the size of some units and they get stunlocked by more than 1 railgun, have to hit you like 3 times to kill you, can be easily outran and get easily stuck on the terrain.

I run into people in game who say bugs are hard too and the only way that makes sense is if you don't know you don't have to fight every one of them that you see or haven't ran harder bot missions. You don't have to fight bots either but by the time im finishing a heavy outpost there are like 5 kinds of unit spawned that will obliterate you at long range.

Shield bots and rocket bots alone are worse than any terminid unit by a huge margin not including the tanks, hulks or turrets that 1 shot you from 100m away.

It's not even close and there is a reason why 75% of the players are at terminids. Water flows downhill and most people don't want to get chewed up in a laser blender when they can run around in circles shooting 2000 bugs having fun.

I had a good team and a long play session saturday and we completed 9 helldive bug extracts with 15+ reinforcements leftover and 40+ samples per run. Helldive bot maps we managed to get on the shuttle 3 times out of 6 and I quit looking for samples because you literally cannot just comically breeze through a batallion of perfectly accurate instakill robots looking for samples while they flail at you like you can bugs.

Bugs are so easy they need buffing or new units immediately. It's not even a contest.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Darox posted:

My pet calldown that I almost never see other people use is the Gatling Barrage, particularly against bugs. It's a low cooldown area denial/clear that's great for throwing at bug breaches, at your feet while running away, or at any good chokepoint bugs are funneling through. The area is small enough that you can stay safe while up close but still big enough to completely cover a corridor or breach, and it staggers most stuff that doesn't die immediately.

I learned the other night it apparently kills bug holes? Or maybe the eagle version does.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Last time I dropped on Hellmire my view was this.

That was a heck of a mission.

This was my friends group's first mission against bots and we mostly played stealthy, slinking around the clouds hearing the bots chatter and clank in the distance. It was atmospheric, spooky and low key scary all at once.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dyz posted:

I learned the other night it apparently kills bug holes? Or maybe the eagle version does.

The eagle air strike can close holes but one of the bombs basically has to land in the hole so it's a lot less reliable than using airstrikes on bot factories.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

jokes posted:

The eagle air strike can close holes but one of the bombs basically has to land in the hole so it's a lot less reliable than using airstrikes on bot factories.

No, I mean one of the gatling ones. A friend closed a bug hole with the gatling barrage the other night. Like I actually saw the round hit it and clear it. I was lead to believe the gatling ones didnt destroy structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No poo poo? I wonder which one it was. I don't think the napalm airstrike can destroy factories/holes, but maybe the strafing run can?