Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I've got my eyes on the Samsung 47mm Watch 6 Classic. If anyone catches wind of a sub $300 deal, please share!

I did the Fossil Gen 5 trade in at Best Buy so I have $115 credit there, but I couldn't talk them into price matching a random reseller on Walmart.com or Amazon. I'm hoping this watch will go on sale sometime within the next couple of months.

Naked wrist is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Organic Lube User posted:

I'm mostly interested in ECG mode and also I'm hoping that I can use this feature I just read about where you can make your watch act as a virtual bluetooth mouse that will even recognize your finger taps as mouseclicks. That would be super handy for me, but seems to also be only for Samsung phones.

Depending on what you're looking for you could try this; https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wearmouse&c=apps

I've got it on my Galaxy 5, and while I haven't played with it lots yet it seems kind of like what you're asking for and wouldn't require all the extra stuff.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Frush posted:

Depending on what you're looking for you could try this; https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wearmouse&c=apps

I've got it on my Galaxy 5, and while I haven't played with it lots yet it seems kind of like what you're asking for and wouldn't require all the extra stuff.

I figured out what I was doing wrong with installing wowmouse, I just hadn't selected my watch in the play store. Now I just gotta deal with it not being visible to my PC's Bluetooth.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Well gosh, color me impressed, a mere 3 months later and my GW5 has already developed the same problem I ditched the GW4 for, and it's getting worse and worse every time I use it. :sigh:

I'm debating not learning my lesson and doing a trade in for the GW6

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 25, 2024

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I mean, this isn't a wear os option, but if you're mostly doing exercise tracking Garmin's pretty good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Currently, the Pixel Watch 2 has the most accurate wrist based heartrate tracking for Android (Garmin included). There's a rumor that we'll finally get a larger size for the Pixel Watch 3 this year.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Who tests and certifies that? Or is that from your testing? How does the pixel compare to the apple watch?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Resdfru posted:

Who tests and certifies that? Or is that from your testing? How does the pixel compare to the apple watch?

Look up Quantified Scientist on YouTube. He's been doing very comprehensive tests for awhile.

Nothing tops Apple devices really right now, but the PS2 comes close enough that it's really dependent on what exercise type you do.

Garmin is surprisingly just OK when it comes to heart rate, but the strength there is the ability to use external sensors.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
TBH the GW was the only smart watch I ever saw that made me go "oo I think I actually want a smart watch." It just looks so clean and minimal as an actual accessory. Love the flat screen and hard edges and it was relatively thin, dresses well with any outfit casual or formal. the PW rounded glass "orb" look just looks aesthetically displeasing, I can't explain it, it's like something from the Jetsons, the Garmins all just look like big knobby gshock watches or pure fitness trackers, I just know me and I know if I bought a watch that I didn't like the look of I'd just end up never wearing it thus defeating the purpose. Though it not working is not ideal, drat you samsung. I'd consider the AW as a runner up, however it doesn't want to play nice with android.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 26, 2024

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tbh I'm a bit underwhelmed by it coming from a Fitbit versa 2.it can do more but I don't think that justifies the garbage battery life. Gimme a heavier watch where the battery lasts a week and I'll change my tune

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You are going to need something the size of pipboy to get week long battery life from any smart watch platform.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

My Garmin lasts about a week... That said it doesn't have a touch screen so that's probably a pretty high amount of power usage down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Garmin not a full smartwatch platform. There's a very limited set of 'apps' and customizations you can do with it. The SoC is very scaled down compared to what a full smartwatch platform would have.

WearOS watches are essentially running full Android with all the flexibility and pitfalls that entail. That uses a lot more power

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You are going to need something the size of pipboy to get week long battery life from any smart watch platform.

You're not saying anything that is dissuading me here

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You're not saying anything that is dissuading me here
I don't know, the regular gw6 is already so big I have to regularly take it off for some of my hobbies

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I am looking to get a new GW since my 4 Classic seems to have really poor battery life now, I have the option of 6, 6 Classic or 5 Pro. I am favouring the 5 Pro due to the better battery life but I have seen a few people complaining that recent software updates have reduced that, any evidence of this?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'd factory reset the watch once to be sure first.

I haven't noticed my 5 Pro's life feeling off but can't say for sure. I use Always On Display a lot more lately.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got to try the modern "transfer to new phone" Samsung feature and it was unbelievably smooth.

What's not cool is that none of Samsung's login features work on my default Vivaldi browser. Didn't notice until I tried to log back into Health. It was a nuisance on my old phone setting up the watch the first time, but I didn't need to do that step this time around.

edit: googling to see if I can change the browser referrer agent on the mobile app.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've got a Garmin Approach S62 that has filled all the need I'd want for a smart watch. I get all my notifications, I get tap to pay that works everywhere and it does honestly fantastic fitness tracking. The Garmin Health app is also really awesome. Plus since the battery life is an easy 7-10 days i get sleep tracking (which is free. This is all free.) without having to plan for it.

The watch rules - I highly recommend the Garmin path if it interests you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Garmin has it's pros and cons. That watch specifically though is more expensive than Google or Samsung's entire range.

I like my Instinct 2x, but mostly for the fact that I can pair an external HR tracker to it. The sleep tracking is kinda crap and now that I established an HRV baseline, I'm probably going back to the Pixel Watch 2 for sleep tracking until I want to see if I've made any improvements.

What the Instinct can't do is unlock my back door from my wrist before I get out of the car in the rain or freeform a response to messaging or show my grocery store rewards card without digging out my wallet or show my flight's boarding pass.

But I'll sure as hell wear it if I wanted to track GPS for something or wanted to wear something more rugged or was swimming with it.

I'm going on a trip to Hawaii in a month and I'm probably going to bring both the Instinct and one of my Galaxy watches. What I will wear will depend on what I'm doing for the day.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
My galaxy watch 6 has a died a couple times overnight. It's annoying and something my active 2 never did over the many years I wore it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Finally got WearOS 3 installed on my TicWatch E3, but it's my backup watch paired with my backup phone, so I haven't really tested it out yet.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm just using both a versa 4 and a gw4c because they both do different things, but rather than a testament to how good each watch is at what they do, it's more that they have to cover each other's gaps.
Some notifications show up on one watch, some on the other. I definitely like the battery life of the versa better, it seems like it could go a week between charges, while the gw is a daily charge. I just put em both on the charger when I shower and it seems to keep them both alive so far.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is anybody else have trouble charging their pixel watch 2? I have to reseat the drat thing so many times

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is anybody else have trouble charging their pixel watch 2? I have to reseat the drat thing so many times

I thought I was going insane. I bought a new charger and it worked better for a week and then it is suddenly just as bad. I fuckin hate it. The pixel watch 1 never had this problem, for me at least.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

hark posted:

I thought I was going insane. I bought a new charger and it worked better for a week and then it is suddenly just as bad. I fuckin hate it. The pixel watch 1 never had this problem, for me at least.

it's so incredibly frustrating

i'll put the thing on the charger

it acts as it it's charging

i check a few hours later and it went down 15% or more instead

?????

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, this is only semi-related, but my TicWatch E2 wouldn't charge, and the charger itself would burn out, if I plugged it into a charger that put out more than 1amp. I have no idea if the Pixel Watch 2 might be running into something along those lines (the charger wanting more or fewer amps than the source is providing).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OnePlus Watch 2 is launching Feb 26th and it's supposed to be using WearOS this time.

https://www.oneplus.com/us/launch/watch-2

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I haven't paid any attention to WearOS watches outside of the GW4 Classic I wear. Do all these watches come with their own health tracking apps or do they feed into whatever it is that Google's goldfish product management have decided to call their app today?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

v1ld posted:

I haven't paid any attention to WearOS watches outside of the GW4 Classic I wear. Do all these watches come with their own health tracking apps or do they feed into whatever it is that Google's goldfish product management have decided to call their app today?

My pixel watch 2 has built in Fitbit. Which is great because I tried to use the Google specific Google Fit thing a long time ago and it was terrible and inaccurate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

v1ld posted:

They have their own health tracking. Hopefully it's made with Health Connect so stuff is portable.

On that, I noticed that Fitibit added "read" permissions in Health Connect recently instead of just Write. I haven't seen it ingest data from health connect yet though, but maybe that's coming.

That really would be my ideal. As of right now Samsung Health gets sleep data, steps, workouts, and heart rate from fitbit via health connect when I wear my Pixel Watch 2. I keep hoping for the reverse when wearing my Galaxy Watch. The stuff goes into Health Connect and Fit picks up on it, but fitbit thus far doesn't ingest the data.

Mobvoi health also pushes some metrics to Health Connect as well.

I really wish Garmin would implement health connect, then everything would feed into that one central repo.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 20, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google has made ingesting of data into Fitbit official today.

quote:

See a more complete picture of your health right in the redesigned Fitbit app through Health Connect — with data from your favorite wearables and apps like AllTrails, Oura Ring and MyFitnessPal. In the Fitbit app on your Android phone, head to the You tab to see data from connected apps next to your Fitbit data. And in the Today tab, you can see data like exercise, steps, calories burned, floors climbed and distance traveled from Health Connect-compatible apps.

I haven't seen it pull in anything from Samsung Health yet though. It's not mentioned by name here, but it is Health Connect compatible though

It might tempt me to get an Oura Ring as well since it was announced today that the Samsung Ring is going to be galaxy devices only at start.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OnePlus Watch 2 launch event is happing right now. Looks like they are doing a hybrid system with WearOS 4 and RTOS for long battery life. It will be dual OS.

Looks like it's going to be dual band GPS as well which I think is a first for WearOS devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/26/24081349/wear-os-4-oneplus-hybrid-wearables-smartwatches

Looks like the hybrid stuff is making it's way into mainline WearOS.

quote:

Since 2018, Wear OS watches generally have had an application processor (AP) to handle power-intensive tasks and an ultra-low-power co-processor microcontroller unit (MCU) for always-on tasks like step counting and heart rate. The update will let wearable makers offload notification processing to the MCU. That includes the ability to read and dismiss notifications as well as send quick replies.

This capability was added specifically for the OnePlus Watch 2, which was also announced today, but Bjorn Kilburn, vice president of Wear OS by Google, says other companies will be able to use it going forward. “The OnePlus Watch 2 is the first Wear OS device to implement the hybrid interface for bridged notifications, enabling the user to view and dismiss notifications on the MCU without waking up the AP. This allows the high-performance AP to stay asleep more, further saving battery life,” says Kilburn. OnePlus’ second-gen watch will purportedly get up to 100 hours on a single charge.

OHealth (which is Oneplus's health tracking app) will be integrated in Health Connect.

There's a google rep at the launch event talking about the WearOS 4 optimizations. This should silence some of the people saying Google was playing favorites with Samsung.

Transit schedules now on Google Maps for WearOS.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 26, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's really cool ... transit schedules too.

When I got my 5 Pro I was annoyed that no apps would show my local bus stop times (there were some for other cities). I just noticed yesterday that Transit Now for Toronto though did update with a WearOS app at some point. It just shows whatever I favourited on the phone app. Font is a tad small, but it's great to have handy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The charger is kinda interesting for it. It's a magnetic puck with contacts, but the puck actually has a USBC port on it. So for travel, you can just toss the puck in your bag and not have a cable trailing from it.

That's really nice because if you are charging at home, chances are you have the wires routed somewhere and don't want to dig everything up if you were going somewhere. That's why I like to have multiple different chargers for the watches I have. But with this, you can just disconnect at the puck end and leave the cable plugged in.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Maps had an update on my watch, but nothing about transit still. Kinda odd it never even showed transit directions, just drive/bike/walk.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Probably a slow roll, it's #8 on this list.

https://blog.google/products/android/new-android-features-february-2024/

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Imagine using the map on your watch to navigate while driving lol. Only ever made sense for walking and transit. (Yeah you could probably connect your headphones.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

More info about the hybrid mode stuff.

https://9to5google.com/2024/02/26/wear-os-4-hybrid-interface/

quote:

Bridged notifications from your phone are delivered to the watch “without waking up the high-performance AP.” You can read/expand and dismiss notifications using the co-processor, with the MCU also able to handle quick replies, remote actions, and other wearable-specific notification actions, like archiving. 

Also of note is how you can view the watch face and swipe through Tiles on the MCU. Tapping a Tile or complication would open an Activity and seamlessly transition to the AP, while sending full notification replies will do the same.

Pretty cool stuff.

This would be a great addition to a future Galaxy Watch 7 Pro. Crazy battery life. This would also be something really good for Mobvoi to adopt, but they need to pull their head out of their rear end as far as support goes before I would recommend their stuff anymore.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 26, 2024