Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
One of my users was downloading transcoded movies for "his old iPad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I've found that the downloading part works ok, but then the files are unplayable, this is on a new iPad.

I use infuse instead for downloading.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I was able to download and playback videos just fine on my M2 MBA last week.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I canceled a couple shows that were causing problems and now everything is coming in. Playback... we'll see. Seems like it can work, and then it'll decide, nope, that's not going to work, so it refuses to even try again.

I'm running the Android app on a Chromebook, and the Chrome file browser lets you poke around in the filesystem parts that for some reason either weren't available in Android, or I was too dumb to find. So that's nice, when Plex decides it's going to refuse to play something, I've got other options. I may even be able to just move it to another directory and have Plex play it as a "local file" instead of a "download".

But right now my passion project is sorting out what's special about the files that lodge themselves in the download queue and prevent anything at all from happening.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

I'll report back with any additional findings!

I was wrong. There is nothing about the file itself jamming the download queue: removing and re-adding the same download made it come in just fine.

So I guess that leaves me with "turn it off and back on" problem solving. Same as it ever was.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Just checked the release notes of the latest upgrade and it's a lot. First off:

Plex posted:

(PLEASE NOTE) This version makes changes to the database which will make it compatible only with server versions 1.31.2 or higher (released March 14). You will not be able to use your database on Plex Media Server versions lower than this after this update. Please also be patient when updating to this version if you have a very large database and allow the upgrade process to finish.

Worthwhile to make a quick database backup prior to doing the upgrade just in case. Other notable things, for me at least:

"Plex posted:

(Music) Support ID3v2.4 null-separated tags for genres and release type (#14653)
(View History) No longer create a view history entry for items marked as played (#10888)

Hoping the improved ID3 support helps with the issues Plex has identifying music, especially after tags get updated. Also, now Tautulli wont lie to me when I mark something as watched!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm running into an issue with my Plex server where it's not scanning my library and adding titles any more. I recently added Dune and three TV series, each of which are 20+GB. I figured it was an issue with size so I kept scanning but after a few hours it still won't add to my dashboard. I then thought it might be an issue with the format of the series, but they're all H264 or H265 and I've got other similarly formatted titles that were added without issue.

Does anyone know what it might be? I can't tell if it's just the sheer size of the titles that takes a good long while to add to the library, or if it's a codec / format issue or what. I'm able to right click and cast these files directly to my TV.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Is the server running on Linux? If so, I'd say it's a permissions issue. I get those once in awhile. I've also moved the directories out, did a manual scan and then back in and scan again.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Taking them out, scanning, and putting them back in fixed it. Weird...

Running on my regular old Microsoft PC.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm not sure why it does it sometimes but that always seems to be fix if it isn't permissions.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

All the TV series have shown up on the dashboard, but Dune (for whatever reason) has remained hidden and the only way I can access it to play is by searching for it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Is it in a collection and you have things in collections hidden? Does it appear when you sort?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
When this happens to me it's usually the client machine that isn't refreshing or has something cached. The Plex Dance usually fixes it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like you have everything on a single PC, but something to keep in mind is different OS's/file systems have different ways of reporting 'hey something changed' to Plex. All of my stuff is in a NAS, and that won't ping Plex in realtime when files are added so I either have to manually scan or wait until a scheduled scan kicks off to see them in the library.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Takes No Damage posted:

It sounds like you have everything on a single PC, but something to keep in mind is different OS's/file systems have different ways of reporting 'hey something changed' to Plex. All of my stuff is in a NAS, and that won't ping Plex in realtime when files are added so I either have to manually scan or wait until a scheduled scan kicks off to see them in the library.

If you're using sonarr/radarr this works pretty well: https://github.com/l3uddz/plex_autoscan

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Plex Dance fixed it but now everything is showing as recently added :(

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Well I had a PSU failure and it took my two media drives with it. Neither are visible in windows or BIOS and don't work or even spin up when connected to an external drive. Sucks but thankfully it's all just media and therefore nothing irreplaceable. I've replaced the two 4TB drives with two 8TB drives and I guess I'll begin the process of Building Back Better. I can't decide if I should just wipe my Plex Library completely and start fresh or if it's better to hang on to the database so that I'll still have watch history for anything I decide is worth grabbing again. I guess I should basically just wipe my *arrs and start over.

(lol at "wipe my *arrs")

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Why wipe the arrs at all? Just redownload everything

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

kri kri posted:

Why wipe the arrs at all? Just redownload everything

I had a lot of junk on there, I'd rather just start fresh and be intentional about what I want.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I'm wondering how to name and organize made for TV movie series.

My sister loves those Hallmark Channel mysteries. A few years ago, TVDB had them organized as TV shows. Each series was listed as one season, and the various movies for each series were listed as separate episodes. However, TVDB seems to have changed things and now each movie in each series is listed as a stand alone movie.

Previously, I'd organize them something like this:
code:
F:\Media\TV Shows\Matchmaker Mysteries\Season 01\Matchmaker Mysteries - S01E01.mkv
and Plex would pull all the correct info. However, now when I add in movies from the same series, it just labels them as "Episode 6" and without any info.

I noticed that TVDB now has "lists" for each of the series with the individual movies:

https://thetvdb.com/lists/matchmaker-mysteries

So the previous organization strategy doesn't work.

Does anyone have any idea how to organize these without having like 50 separate Hallmark movies floating around? I really liked the idea of having them organized like TV show episodes but I don't know if that's possible anymore.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 24, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Put in movies library, add to a collection for them, then mark as hide movies outside of collection.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Put in movies library, add to a collection for them, then mark as hide movies outside of collection.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll try that tomorrow. :)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

double post

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I can't recall the option name, but Plex keeps a copy of your watch status and will apply it to any new library.

So if I've a movie or show is marked as watched in the old library, it should be marked was watched in the new one. Might take a while to sync but it should work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure that goes away with some (perhaps weekly?) process like clean bundles if the show(s) don't exist anymore. So you need to get the library repopulated quickly enough or figure out which maintenance thing to turn off. At least that's how it used to be - with sync everywhere it may no longer be the case, but it's worth looking into.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

This did exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks.:)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So now having suffered catastrophic data loss do you guys use any cloud backup solutions? Or in-house backup solutions? I lost two drives at once in the same machine so I think any backup would ideally be on a separate machine somewhere else in the house.

I think I may have lost my MP3 collection which kinda sucks since I had some rips of my friends' bands' CDs from the 2000s that I won't be able to find again

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Has anyone had issues with plex since updating their server to 1.40.0.7998? I went from playing everything just fine to having tons of playback issues, the most common saying my connection isn't strong enough for playback and not even starting movies as a result, even though I'm playing stuff on my local network. Browser playback is plagued with buffering and quality drops.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 25, 2024

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

prom candy posted:

So now having suffered catastrophic data loss do you guys use any cloud backup solutions? Or in-house backup solutions? I lost two drives at once in the same machine so I think any backup would ideally be on a separate machine somewhere else in the house.

I think I may have lost my MP3 collection which kinda sucks since I had some rips of my friends' bands' CDs from the 2000s that I won't be able to find again

drat, that sucks.

Cloud-wise, there's been a bit of a crunch so offerings aren't as generous as they were a few years ago, including for businesses with lots of money to spend. Basically once you start wanting more than around 5 terabytes of storage, costs start to become a bit high for personal use, e.g. Backblaze is the most cost-effective offering but for, say, 50 terabytes of cloud storage, you're looking at $300us a month. But you might be able to leverage the 5tb for music only, something like that.

For personal storage of up to around 140tb of storage, I think the "safest" solution is to get a NAS of some form that lets you put whatever OS you want onto it, and then buy a license for UnRAID. UnRAID is unique in that, while it gives you redundancy, it's not a striped RAID solution, so while performance isn't as high, if something catastrophic happened you wouldn't have to rebuild the RAID, or lose 100% of your data for losing some but not all of your drives. Basically, the drives that aren't your parity drives just have loose files on a Linux partition, and if you were really in a bind you could just grab a drive, get a SATA to USB adapter and copy data over using any Linux or other OS letting you read XFS. I'm actually in the process of setting this up now since Google gave me an ultimatum to get rid of data from my once-unlimited cloud storage or face deletion.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The screwed the pooch in the last update or two for most of the desktop players so I wouldn’t be surprised if what you’re seeing is related.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr. Apollo posted:

This did exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks.:)

I’m glad! It’s the key to having a collection that spirals out of control without making the main library view a nightmare to navigate.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

prom candy posted:

How much data did you have? It might be worth just getting an external USB drive and back your stuff up to it each month/week/year.

Cloud backup will be slow and expensive. Getting a NAS could be challenging (unless you're familiar with them and you could still loose data if you choose the wrong RAID options.

univbee posted:

drat, that sucks.

Cloud-wise, there's been a bit of a crunch so offerings aren't as generous as they were a few years ago, including for businesses with lots of money to spend. Basically once you start wanting more than around 5 terabytes of storage, costs start to become a bit high for personal use, e.g. Backblaze is the most cost-effective offering but for, say, 50 terabytes of cloud storage, you're looking at $300us a month. But you might be able to leverage the 5tb for music only, something like that.

For personal storage of up to around 140tb of storage, I think the "safest" solution is to get a NAS of some form that lets you put whatever OS you want onto it, and then buy a license for UnRAID. UnRAID is unique in that, while it gives you redundancy, it's not a striped RAID solution, so while performance isn't as high, if something catastrophic happened you wouldn't have to rebuild the RAID, or lose 100% of your data for losing some but not all of your drives. Basically, the drives that aren't your parity drives just have loose files on a Linux partition, and if you were really in a bind you could just grab a drive, get a SATA to USB adapter and copy data over using any Linux or other OS letting you read XFS. I'm actually in the process of setting this up now since Google gave me an ultimatum to get rid of data from my once-unlimited cloud storage or face deletion.

Then there is this. But Unraid licensing is about to change so act fast.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

prom candy posted:

I bought a hot-pluggable USB hard drive, wrote a script to back up the stuff I care about and skip the stuff I don't, and put it on the hard drive.

Whenever I think to, I plug the drive in and run the script. One day I'll get a new second USB hard drive to replace the one that died.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I lost about 6TB, and I replaced the two 4TB drives that died with two new 8TB drives so I guess I'll theoretically need to be able to back up 16TB. Looks like a 16TB external is fairly affordable relative to paying monthly fees for the rest of time so that'll be the way to go it looks like. Thanks!

Oh and thankfully I found a backup of my music so I'm happy. It also had itunes backups of my phone from like 10 years ago, just in case.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The way to go isn't worrying about backing up your entire collection - doing that you're either paying an exorbitant amount of money for someone else's storage, or you're doubling your own storage costs to build a second copy. Just back up the photos and music and things you can't recover by other means. Then you're probably looking at an amount of storage that you can duplicate across the free or lowest paid tiers of Google/OneDrive/Dropbox/etc for a lot less than the cost of a 16TB drive that's just as vulnerable as your main array to a ransomware attack or a fire.

And while no, you can't strictly depend on any of the big cloud providers to offer you 100% reliability, that's why you don't just trust one.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh yeah I have my photos backed up in like 4 places and I'll be backing up my music collection more carefully now too. I thought I had copies of it on both my computers but it was just on one. It was just kind of a pain to lose my media collection. Although at the same time it has made me think about what I actually want to have in that collection.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

To avoid data loss employee the 3-2-1 System: 3 copies of your data, 2 local, 1 off site. For something (probably) relatively small like MP3s B2 Backblaze should only run you a few bux a month. I've got a pretty extensive music collection, a lot of it in FLAC, and it's still "just" over 2.5 TB. I've got 6.5 TB total with them for $1.28/day. And yeah the key was not trying to back up everything, just the stuff that is personal to you or that is actually rare.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I back up everything but video to backblaze, and I have two 16tb easystores that I back everything up to. (Only 12tb capacity in my NAS right now.) one easystore is at a friends house, and I trade it out for a fresher backup every now and then.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looks like my music collection is small enough to fit within my iCloud limits. Photos I have on two cloud services and 2 or 3 places locally. Everything else is replaceable I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What's the best way, short of mkvmerge, to join together multiple episode files in Plex? The output of the Ren and Stimpy DVDs comes out to something like this:
code:
s01e01p01 - Intro.mkv
s01e01p02 - Log.mkv
s01e01p03 - Stimpy's Big Day.mkv
s01e02p01 - Stimpy's Breakfast Tips.mkv
s01e02p02 - The Big Shot.mkv
s01e02p03 - Say Goodbye (Gritty Kitty).mkv
Obviously I did the file names, before they were just title_01.mkv or whatever. I know the pXX isn't standard, but it seems that the way they want it is "s01e01 - Stimpy's Big Day (part1).mkv", but I'd like to indicate which video file is what. I tried a .plexmatch file, but it is showing a random file as the episode when I play it there.

Non-working .plexmatch file:
code:
ep: 01: s01e01p01 - Intro.mkv
ep: 01: s01e01p02 - Log.mkv
ep: 01: s01e01p03 - Stimpy's Big Day.mkv
ep: 01: s01e02p01 - Stimpy's Breakfast Tips.mkv
ep: 02: s01e02p02 - The Big Shot.mkv
ep: 02: s01e02p03 - Say Goodbye (Gritty Kitty).mkv