Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Alabama Constitution has like 2000 amendments, they can trivially amend it(does require a ballot measure though)

It's very easy to trick to the people into agreeing with the amendments here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I can only hope that this abortion wedge they’ve been driving for decades like it’s some kind of infinite votes hack is the petard that will finally hoist them good and proper. That and leaning into all the rest of their regressive AM radio garbage.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

snorch posted:

I can only hope that this abortion wedge they’ve been driving for decades like it’s some kind of infinite votes hack is the petard that will finally hoist them good and proper. That and leaning into all the rest of their regressive AM radio garbage.

I really think IVF is a bridge too far for them

Abortion has a lot of moral implications for people, even if you fully support it, almost everyone but absolute foaming at the mouth crazy don't give a gently caress about IVF.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Murdstone posted:

:lol: at that’ one of them recently stated’ quote

That quote definitely came from Donald Trump's regular ongoing discussions with the various vicious gang members pouring over our borders from Venezuela and Mexico.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TulliusCicero posted:

Abortion has a lot of moral implications for people, even if you fully support it, almost everyone but absolute foaming at the mouth crazy don't give a gently caress about IVF.

Rich people care about IVF-- that's the difference. The IVF debate is very much a war over donors.

Abortion is largely about punching down by rich assholes, as they can just fly wherever they need to fly to get an abortion but they can tell poor people that actually having additional children is good for them (and as always, keeping women down and eroding their rights).

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Hey doesn’t the government end this week?

Post itt every time you lol the government ends this week.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So how does that work in Alabama - it looks like they have a statutory code, so surely not everything the legislature does is in their state constitution?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think pre-Roe being overturned the GOP could run under “reasonable” restrictions and have it work out for them on some level, since they could lie and talk about all the late term abortions or other insane fake examples of women giving birth just to kill a baby, but with it gone it’s hard because even those examples they gave before aren’t good enough for them, and they really want to keep stepping on the rake

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also absolutely nobody is confused as to who is responsible when a woman they know is denied an abortion

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

snorch posted:

So if Democrats can successfully run on this issue then they don't have any motivation to fix it by legalizing abortion or whatever. Their best interest is to keep the laws as they are so they can keep on campaigning against it.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

Dunno what you mean Evangelicals love it when Catholics tell them what to do

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

bobjr posted:

I think pre-Roe being overturned the GOP could run under “reasonable” restrictions and have it work out for them on some level, since they could lie and talk about all the late term abortions or other insane fake examples of women giving birth just to kill a baby, but with it gone it’s hard because even those examples they gave before aren’t good enough for them, and they really want to keep stepping on the rake

lol That's funny how the entire "LATE TERM JUST BEFORE BIRTH AND EVEN AFTER" abortion conversation has just completely disappeared, almost as if it wasn't even a thing. Wild!

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought these were the people who want more babies, and yet they're against IVF?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RVWinkle posted:

So if Democrats can successfully run on this issue then they don't have any motivation to fix it by legalizing abortion or whatever. Their best interest is to keep the laws as they are so they can keep on campaigning against it.
:hmmyes: the uniparty strikes back. Guess I better vote for Brother Crows favorite candidate.

Dems seem to at least periodically try to do some of what they claimed; Rs just cut taxes, appoint judges, and let the judges write the laws. Then? Brunch.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Harald posted:

I thought these were the people who want more babies, and yet they're against IVF?

They're incredibly loving stupid OP.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RVWinkle posted:

Or! They can campaign on enshrining the protections granted by Roe v Wade into law for multiple cycles until they have enough votes in the Senate to pass it, THEN wait for SCOTUS to knock that law down for some arbitrary reason, AND THEN start campaigning on adding a Roe v Wade Constitutional Amendment, all the while stressing the importance of having a Democratic President appointing judges.

It could be the gift that keeps on giving for over a decade! :shepface:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Harald posted:

They want more white babies from white housewives in white neighborhoods

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobjr posted:

The major thing is that there are no 'reasonable' restrictions when it comes to this, because nobody is getting abortions for fun. Any restriction you put on abortion is going to exclusively only going to impact people in bad situations. You can't really run on a 'middle ground' for abortion because either you're actively harming people with needless restrictions or you're carving out so many exceptions that it would make more sense just to make it legal.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Nessus posted:

Then? Brunch.

But brunch sucks! It's the worst parts of breakfast and lunch and bad coffee

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

fondue posted:

Still :lol: that he didn't get 60% in South Carolina

This is pretty much what I expected to see— The Haley and weak-Trump areas are the population centers. Charleston is a rapidly developing magnet for wealthy young liberal professionals, Columbia is the capitol with lots of government work and home to USC and Trump is publicly hated, Greenville is also growing fast but the upstate is still extremely red and poor, and Rock Hill is basically just a suburb of Charlotte.

The biggest surprise is seeing Hilton Head and Beaufort go for Haley. That’s just old money and wealthy tourism developers/industries, so it’s kind of funny to see even they’re sick of trump’s stupid bullshit.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Nessus posted:

That’s what IVF is tho

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

loving :lol: this is the biggest anti abortion website

quote:

Perhaps the most troubling statement on the issue came a little later from Trump, asserting that he had been praised by Republican leaders for supporting IVF.

“A lot of politicians were very happy because they didn’t know how to respond to the decision that came down,” he said. “Now they all know how to respond.”

If true, those politicians and their supporters need a better education than what Trump imparted to them.

Republicans who support IVF are dead wrong. They’re playing with fire.

IVF is evil. It victimizes the most innocent, vulnerable children.

Every single one of these loud voices within the GOP —Trump, Lake, and others— are placing the desire of adults to have children over the right to life of the 93% of all embryos created through IVF who are destroyed.

Perhaps without thinking, perhaps without caring, they deny the humanity of these unborn children.

Trump’s emphatic message encouraging support for IVF was a strange, troubling tapestry woven of truths, unspoken truths, and lies.

His message was cleverly constructed to appeal to all who are pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-family, and pro-child. However, the “beautiful babies” created through IVF will have many of their siblings disposed of —aborted— as unnecessary medical byproducts of the IVF process.

When couples or individuals choose to create children using IVF, many more eggs are fertilized than necessary as an insurance policy in case first attempts at successful pregnancies fail.  Stored embryos deemed to be no longer necessary for the parents’ pursuit of a family — often numbering a dozen or more — are discarded as medical waste.

The IVF industry cannot survive without the killing of embryos. More to the point: the IVF industry cannot survive without the killing of 93% of children the process creates.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

TulliusCicero posted:

Republicans need those foaming at the mouth crazies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

That’s what IVF is tho

They want those women to feel owned by the men, which is also why they're trying to limit divorce.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Nessus posted:

*from undocumented teenage brides traded between patriarchs.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nessus posted:

But IVF is a rich person (and therefore disproportionately white) thing already, it's already used to make more white babies by Elon type weirdos

It's just such a dumb self-own being a conflict between eugenicists and religious nuts, different strains of brokebrain bigorty grinding against each other

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

That’s what IVF is tho

IVF is largely a bystander that caught a stray bullet with the fight over abortion rights. You can't ban abortion in its entirety while IVF still exists, so IVF can no longer exist.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

ImpAtom posted:

The major thing is that there are no 'reasonable' restrictions when it comes to this, because nobody is getting abortions for fun. Any restriction you put on abortion is going to exclusively only going to impact people in bad situations. You can't really run on a 'middle ground' for abortion because either you're actively harming people with needless restrictions or you're carving out so many exceptions that it would make more sense just to make it legal.
You mean the correct solution is to leave it up to the woman and her doctor? Well why didn’t someone say this before?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nessus posted:

Dems seem to at least periodically try to do some of what they claimed; Rs just cut taxes for the ultra-wealthy, appoint unqualified judges, and let the judges write the laws. Then? Brunch. Late-night pizza party

Had to edit some of this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Murdstone posted:

You mean the correct solution is to leave it up to the woman and her doctor? Well why didn’t someone say this before?

Maybe someone should try tell those fat cats in the government.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Republicans' stated objective is to destroy the government, actually, and they do a pretty good job of that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Government shutdown!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Hollismason posted:

Government shutdown!

UNTIL WE FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hazo posted:

Had to edit some of this
Fair and balanced

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
LMAO Johnson is going pass a bill thats dead in the water and they are going to oust him

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

:lol:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://vxtwitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1762084095490736517?s=46&t=0hs33BGIDTDY2j_qH8YRBg

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Wow, sounds like the anti-IVF LifeSite crowd really need to stand by their convictions and start up an independent third party called the Life Party. :sickos:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

Mary was capable of parthenogenesis.

This implies Jesus was a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

First seven words of the headline got me excited