Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

What? I think that kind of stuff gets locked in the instant you hit play. I really don't think you can move it as things are getting scored, that would let you duplicate all of your other jokers if you do it fast enough, it'd be incredibly OP.

I believe you're correct. If I notice it's out of place early in scoring I'll swap it over but it still seems to fire based on its original position only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Elman posted:

What? I think that kind of stuff gets locked in the instant you hit play. I really don't think you can move it as things are getting scored, that would let you duplicate all of your other jokers if you do it fast enough, it'd be incredibly OP.

Yeah, confirming this. Tried it previously because I thought I'd be clever/noticed I'd misplayed the Blueprint and got burned.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Anyone know if The Wheel of Fortune can overwrite an edition on a Joker that already has one, or will it go for empty ones first?

I'm figuring it's the former, but would be nice to know for sure.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I haven't seen it do that yet, but I would be very, very hesitant to believe that means it can't.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Nemo2342 posted:

New dumb trick I learned: you can move Blueprint around while the score is being tallied to have it trigger on multiple cards.

Mostly I've been using this to bring Blueprint back over to Mime after the scoring so I can double up on Gold cards, etc. I might try dropping my speed next time I get it just to see what stupid stuff I can do with it at .5x speed.

Lol what the hell. Is this a bug or just part of "illegal poker hands"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

New dumb trick I learned: you can move Blueprint around while the score is being tallied to have it trigger on multiple cards.

Mostly I've been using this to bring Blueprint back over to Mime after the scoring so I can double up on Gold cards, etc. I might try dropping my speed next time I get it just to see what stupid stuff I can do with it at .5x speed.
That's intriguing but having to slow down the game to do it sounds like a massive pain

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have definitely tried it and it does not work for scoring because moving something once you start scoring is moving too late, even if you move before any trigger is relevant.

However, in the example that Nemo posted, they aren't actually moving it for scoring. Nemo moving it after scoring, because gold cards are an end of the round ability. I wouldn't have thought to move it for those, but it makes sense that they are tallied differently than scores are, and they would be able to move it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lemon posted:

Anyone know if The Wheel of Fortune can overwrite an edition on a Joker that already has one, or will it go for empty ones first?

Wheel of fortune never works anyway

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Lemon posted:

I don't think you can use it if you only have one joker and the joker already has a special tag.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Harlock posted:

I don't think you can use it if you only have one joker and the joker already has a special tag.

This is it, yeah

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Orange Stake is kicking my rear end.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
if the wheel has a 1 in 5 chance to work and i have five jokers it should always work :argh:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Does anyone know if the booster pack picture matters for what can potentially be drawn within it? Kinda like with actual TCGs.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just had a gold stake run start with a soul gem for a legendary joker. you want to guess how many jokers showed up in the shop after that? none. not a single loving joker. nothing but stone card arcana and celestial cards. not even a loving buffoon pack. game sucks confirmed

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Gerrund_ing posted:

Does anyone know if there's some advice for Blue Stack and above beyond "Don't get stuck with anything but a high flush or something like Kings over 10s for the first small blind and pray you get a good joker for your first shop that you can afford?"

Because that's the only thing I'm a bit sour on for the game. Like once you hit Green stake you basically need to get an RNG which let's you 1 turn the small blind and also gives you a decent Joker in the first 2 shops or else your run is over. I really feel like either the game needs to cut the chip score by 50-100ish for the first ante or add an additional choice in the shop...or else you're basically stuck re-rolling a run after the 2nd shop, at most.

Contrast this to Slay the Spire, which gives you at least a few chances to at least scramble against the 1st floor boss on A20.

No, it's pretty much this, especially when you get to purple blind+ that scales Ante 2+ even harder.

You need scoring help before Ante 2 and if the game doesn't give you anything you're pretty much dead. I end up skipping small blind in Ante 1 most times because the most it can give you from playing is $3, but usually less than that.

The best help is always a joker but held tarot cards sometimes give you enough juice to eke out another shop. You can also try gambling on packs if you have no other option, but with orange stake I feel it's better to try rerolling

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gerrund_ing posted:

Does anyone know if there's some advice for Blue Stack and above beyond "Don't get stuck with anything but a high flush or something like Kings over 10s for the first small blind and pray you get a good joker for your first shop that you can afford?"

At anything below max stakes, the first ante boss blind should be very easily doable without needing to buy a single thing. If it's not, you should reevaluate your discard strategy. Don't be afraid to aggressively dig for flushes/straights/occasional full house, 4 hands and 3 discards should be plenty of resources to dig up two decent hands and the odd pair/two pair if you didn't clear 300 twice (flushes weirdly seem to be easier to hit despite being nominally higher value, but don't get tunnel vision and pass up an easy straight.) You get such a pittance from beating the small blind that you're usually better off skipping, and spending your cash early denies you interest (unless you're playing Green Deck) which means you'll probably fall behind the curve in future antes from lack of funds.

(P.S. If you haven't figured it out yet, you can select and play 5 cards even if they don't all match a hand, so if you run out of discards and don't quite have the hand you want you can always play a high card/pair that you don't need and throw away 3-4 additional cards to maximize your odds of hitting the hand you want.)

Hackan Slash posted:

The best help is always a joker but held tarot cards sometimes give you enough juice to eke out another shop. You can also try gambling on packs if you have no other option, but with orange stake I feel it's better to try rerolling

This is an important tip too--don't think of tarot cards as just being ways to shape your deck long term, they're also ways to force a better scoring hand against a tough blind. If you have room to hold onto them it's better to save them for when needed instead of playing them blindly and hoping you draw them when you really want them (obviously the ones you get from the packs have to be used immediately, but don't overlook the option to buy them from the shop, and if you pull an Emperor in a booster pack it will give you a couple to hold.)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Lemon posted:

You can't use it when all of your jokers have one so I assume it can't overwrite them.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Do cards with seals count as 'enhanced cards' for purposes of stacking Dracula joker's multiplier? It doesn't seem like they've been workikng, but I haven't been paying enough attention.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I had a single (unaltered) joker and opened a spectral pack and got the card that polychromes 1 joker and destroys the rest but I couldn't use it, what gives.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pipski posted:

Do cards with seals count as 'enhanced cards' for purposes of stacking Dracula joker's multiplier? It doesn't seem like they've been workikng, but I haven't been paying enough attention.

"Enhanced" refers specifically to the mutually exclusive set of modifiers that you can get from tarot cards. The shiny stuff is an "edition", which does not count as an "enhancement" (neither do seals.)

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

"Enhanced" refers specifically to the mutually exclusive set of modifiers that you can get from tarot cards. The shiny stuff is an "edition", which does not count as an "enhancement" (neither do seals.)

Aha, cool, thanks. I was trying to find a definition of enhanced cards and failing. Cheers for the swift confirmation, I can get back to my run now!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Beasteh posted:

I had a single (unaltered) joker and opened a spectral pack and got the card that polychromes 1 joker and destroys the rest but I couldn't use it, what gives.

I believe you need at least 3 jokers to use it to prevent you from just getting a free poly joker. I'm not positive on that though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Pipski posted:

They don't. Seals are Seals.

Also not counting toward enhanced are foil, polychrome, and holographic, if you get those on your playing cards.

The three take up three different types of slots. Enhancements are basically everything else.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Relyssa posted:

I believe you need at least 3 jokers to use it to prevent you from just getting a free poly joker. I'm not positive on that though.

I've seen people say this but the ghost deck definitely lets you polychrome your first joker, it's like the whole point. That could be a special case but it seems unlikely.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
What in the absolute gently caress at this seed...

https://old.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1b00n25/edited_old_post_e95_infinite_run_deck_with_perkeo/

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm fairly sure I've also used a regular hex from a pack to polychrome one joker so I'm not sure what's going on there

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

I've seen people say this but the ghost deck definitely lets you polychrome your first joker, it's like the whole point. That could be a special case but it seems unlikely.

I got nothin then. I've only ever been offered that card when I've had a bunch of jokers already.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Holy crap Midas Mask & Vampire is a mult machine

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What am i loving up here. I have shortcut that generates straights with gaps of one. But it won't register a straight here? I need 5 in the straight I guess?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

You need another card there, either K, Q, 8, 6, or 5

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

What am i loving up here. I have shortcut that generates straights with gaps of one. But it won't register a straight here? I need 5 in the straight I guess?

You'd need five cards in this case, or the joker that allows you to do a flush or straight with 4.

I've beaten it now with the abandoned and ghost deck - ghost deck in particular is great fun. For some reason I cannot get anything going with the first red deck, and the black deck may as well be a lose instantly button

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Everyone is different. I have more wins with black than checkerboard.

Only a couple of red stake wins, though. I think Blue was my first and... I forget what all else. I'd been playing on white again because I kept screwing my runs up.

I feel like the game got harder as I unlocked more stuff.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Everyone is different. I have more wins with black than checkerboard.

Only a couple of red stake wins, though. I think Blue was my first and... I forget what all else. I'd been playing on white again because I kept screwing my runs up.

I feel like the game got harder as I unlocked more stuff.
I agree. The initial pool of uncommons is insane (throwback, hologram, gold mask+vampire) and baseball man starts unlocked too. All thats missing is blueprint and other blueprint and those can come pretty fast.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Yeah still need 5 cards but they don't need to be in a row. What's awesome about that joker which took me a minute to realize is you can have more than one gap.

Ie 2 4 6 8 10 is a straight

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Combine that with Odd Todd I was talking about above—that run lost btw—and now you’re cooking with gas.

I have a run I’m likely to win right now based on playing face card boats, but I’m stuck with Photograph as my only decent source of Xmult. Photograph bums me out because yeah, it’s decent, but working around it is a serious pain in the rear end.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Photograph usually kind of sucks because the X2 applies before your +mults like abstract joker or banana. You can only really get value out of it with like fibonacci or the even joker or the hearts/diamond/club/spade joker by placing your face cards on the right.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Photograph can be okay in retrigger decks as well, if you play that king 3 times it suddenly starts being a bit more meaningful.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Photograph does apply to repeats, so if you can trigger the same face card three times then you get a very decent boost even if you're just starting from base multiplier. That's a pretty niche use though.

e: f;b

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

w00tmonger posted:

What's awesome about that joker which took me a minute to realize is you can have more than one gap.

wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah still need 5 cards but they don't need to be in a row. What's awesome about that joker which took me a minute to realize is you can have more than one gap.

yeah the probability of being able to make a straight is ridiculously high with it because there are so many ways you can make one