Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Then I'm wrong, and I apologize for wasting people's time. I honestly thought the show was saying okay once he's gone, that's it.

:cheersbird: its cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Then I'm wrong, and I apologize for wasting people's time. I honestly thought the show was saying okay once he's gone, that's it.

No one who posts itt can cast stones over this sin

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

god posts with us

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think this thread would enjoy Fallen Leaves. It's a sweet working class romcom with a lightly Wes Andersonian sense of humour (but not sense of design).

It's the only working class romcom I can think of full stop tbh.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

When all is said and done the most unrealistic part of True Detective was that Childress still had to support himself by getting a regular job, and that left the clues by which he could eventually be found. To paraphrase Brad Pitt in The Counselor, in real life the wealthy keep their murderers and rapists on paid retainer.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
If Marty hadn't killed the one guy when they found the kids locked up in his trailer, they might have been able to blow the whole thing open. Childress was the only one left twenty years or so after they botched the initial investigation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Blood Boils posted:

No one who posts itt can cast stones over this sin

Strong men also cry

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Cookie Cutter posted:

When all is said and done the most unrealistic part of True Detective was that Childress still had to support himself by getting a regular job, and that left the clues by which he could eventually be found. To paraphrase Brad Pitt in The Counselor, in real life the wealthy keep their murderers and rapists on paid retainer.

The Counselor is an unintentionally hilarious movie.

Or maybe it was intentionally hilarious? I can't fully tell but I don't think Cormac McCarthy was the type to poke fun at himself.

Nothing to apologize for. It's just a TV show. :)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Besides, nothing could be as dumb as "Shannon was stabbed!" from ye olde SA Lost thread.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Eric Cantonese posted:

Or maybe it was intentionally hilarious? I can't fully tell but I don't think Cormac McCarthy was the type to poke fun at himself.

The motorized bolo tie that decapitates you is indeed very, very goofy. Drug cartels just casually making engineering breakthroughs, fitting a multi-horsepower motor and battery inside something the size of a vape pen, just to kill victims in style. You know, just doing it for the love of the game. Not so gauche that you would try to monetize such technology.

For some reason it reminds me of the reverse water bottle scene from Tank Girl. Prop departments having fun with goofy murder contraptions.

Edit: gently caress it, give me Verhoeven's Soylent Juicero.
Double Edit: V Yeah I don't think Wolfenstein is all that satirical. Me bringing up Wolfenstein (and mainly New Order and New Colossus) was just to point out that the fasc play it because they like playing a game with Nazis, even if all you do is kill Nazis. My evidence is all the people who got really, really mad at the "Make America Nazi free again" ads for New Colossus. I think they are fun games (play on lower difficulty, higher difficulties emphasize stealth which is counter to the fun of mowing down hoards of Nazis). Again my inclusion of Wolfenstein specifically was just to emphasize that the fasc have absolutely no taste and will hoot and holler for anything with black leather in it. Their entire sense of culture and humor is basically just visual references to the evil poo poo they like.

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Feb 26, 2024

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

late to the late to the Starship Troopers chat but I think you're reading these works backwards. Starship Troopers isn't a satire of fascism, it's a satire of Heinlein's dumb conservative book - fascism is the punchline, the consequence of all that jingoistic militarism

it's the same for the others, they're taking something to an extreme length in order to destroy it and the method of destruction is "it's fascism" (except Wolfenstein which I think is more straightforwardly a game about killing Nazis because gently caress Nazis. if anything's being satirised, it's "Terror Billy", the USA's one-man contribution to WW2)

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Eric Cantonese posted:

There are some definitely intentionally hilarious parts, like the car loving scene, in fact everything Javier Bardem says and does, there are some lines of dialogue that are meant to be silly, a lot of the interaction between Fassbender and Rosie Perez is played for laughs - what are you thinking of?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tricky D posted:

If Marty hadn't killed the one guy when they found the kids locked up in his trailer, they might have been able to blow the whole thing open.

that too

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The show is called True Detective because it's TRUE to the fact that DETECTIVES are not good at their jobs

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

late to the late to the Starship Troopers chat but I think you're reading these works backwards. Starship Troopers isn't a satire of fascism, it's a satire of Heinlein's dumb conservative book - fascism is the punchline, the consequence of all that jingoistic militarism

it's the same for the others, they're taking something to an extreme length in order to destroy it and the method of destruction is "it's fascism" (except Wolfenstein which I think is more straightforwardly a game about killing Nazis because gently caress Nazis. if anything's being satirised, it's "Terror Billy", the USA's one-man contribution to WW2)

It's this

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

i like this Olivia Coleman bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQiwLcFbLk

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Cookie Cutter posted:

There are some definitely intentionally hilarious parts, like the car loving scene, in fact everything Javier Bardem says and does, there are some lines of dialogue that are meant to be silly, a lot of the interaction between Fassbender and Rosie Perez is played for laughs - what are you thinking of?

The special decapitation machine comes to mind.

Also, I can't remember if this was part of the movie or some web-only thing, but there's a scene between Natalie Dormer and Michael Fassbender at a lingerie shop and it's just played way too ominously.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

TD season 4 should have just ripped off the X-files movie and gone with aliens. They could still include the lesbian janitor coven and DECOLONIZE THE TOWN stuff just fine. All the ramp up in episode 5 was entertaining but the conclusion was loving stupid.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m glad Iroh's bitch son died

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It has been another busy week for fans of men whining on the internet. I mean, when isn’t it? But there has been one particularly engaging meltdown in recent days: Nic Pizzolatto throwing a tantrum over his own show.

Pizzolatto is the creator of the TV franchise True Detective, the first season of which starred Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson and was quickly inducted into the annals of “golden age” TV. The fourth season has just come to an end on HBO (Sky in the UK). Starring Jodie Foster and Kali Reis, True Detective: Night Country is set inside the Arctic Circle in the middle of winter and faithfully recreates many of the staples of the series: odd-couple cops, an untamed landscape, a suggestion of the occult and some grotesque murders. There are even elements of homage, including allusions to McConaughey’s celebrated ruminations on the nature of time. But did Pizzolatto like it? No, he did not.

Who knows how much of Pizzolatto’s distaste for Night Country comes from it being the first True Detective story that he neither wrote nor directed, with those roles this time going to the Mexican director Issa López. Regardless, Pizzolatto has been criticising the show since its first episode, warning fans they “can’t blame me” if they don’t like it. Since the finale, he has doubled down, sharing screeds from other (male) internet users on his Instagram. Among the key criticisms: the writing in the finale was “some of the sloppiest … I’ve ever watched”, while the show in general was a “hot mess of faux character archs [sic]” which made “repeated heavy-handed attempts” to show that “Man=Problem”. (Now that’s a tattoo-worthy phrase if ever there was one).

Pizzolatto has since, ostentatiously, created a space on his Insta solely for “trolling/support/infighting” around True Detective and the “absolute moral degeneracy and misogyny of anyone who did not think it was good”. Which certainly sounds as if he is over it. And while he is probably using the word “misogyny” sarcastically, it may be a good moment for him to reflect on his actions.

López, meanwhile, has responded gracefully: “I believe that every storyteller has a very specific, peculiar, and unique relation to the stories they create, and whatever his reactions are, he’s entitled to them,” she told Vulture earlier in the run. “[Night Country] is a reinvention, and it is different. And anybody that wants to join is welcome.”

It is difficult to imagine what it would require to remain graceful in the face of consistent criticism from a colleague (López and Pizzolatto are executive producers on Night Country). López’s politeness perhaps also reflects a confidence in her work, something that has been vindicated on screen.

While internet males may consider the season to be a traumatising dud (check the opening paragraph of this review for some heartfelt comments), viewing figures have made it the most popular of the four series so far. The number of people watching has grown as it has gone along and the finale was the highest audience for any individual episode. There is a possibility that this happened because people liked what they saw on the screen.

Night Country did things the other True Detectives did not, and not just by giving decent parts to female characters. It extended the lives of its principals beyond an obsession with their work (although that remained too). It made romantic and familial relations as important as any police procedure, giving the show a richer feel and leaving the characters more rounded. While the Wiccan handicrafts and daubed spirals of season one made a return, they were joined by decaying ghosts and ugly apparitions, creating real moments of horror alongside the pervasive American gothic. Also, and no small matter this, the show tied its plots together by the end, which is not something Pizzolatto always achieved. (As for the “men=problem” problem, the most heroic character in the show is male and all the women have problems!)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i find it a little amazing that throughout this whole stupid terminally online controversy about the fourth season of true detective almost noone defending the show has clearly described what exactly its story is even supposed to be about

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

You're allowed to like painting your toy figurines, I just don't think it's helping stop fascism.

Correct. That’s not how it works.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is the controversy that the show hasn't been good since season 1

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

It should be, although I heard season 3 was okay?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

Is the controversy that the show hasn't been good since season 1

Nic is mad that his only good season was the one he ripped off for his entire life instead of being under a deadline to rip it off. The current writers are deflecting all criticism with "men be hating"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

indigi posted:

I’m glad Iroh's bitch son died

he was a war criminal and so is iroh. he just gets away with it because he had a redemption arc like bush painting his dead victims.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The writers think they're too good for the cosmic horror

they're a "prestige" show, can't have any of that supernatural stuff like Hannibal

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's the only working class romcom I can think of full stop tbh.

off the top of my head: shadows in paradise from the same guy, il posto, minnie and moskowitz. yeah they aren't that many

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The reason Iroh chilled out is because his son died so his son dying was an objectively good thing for the world

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Eric Cantonese posted:

no idea either but it rules.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

they're a "prestige" show, can't have any of that supernatural stuff like Hannibal

they should watch twin peaks

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

he was a war criminal and so is iroh. he just gets away with it because he had a redemption arc like bush painting his dead victims.

Iroh was in the spirit realm in Legend of Korra because he was tried at the Hague for war crimes and executed.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Correct. That’s not how it works.

I really thought playing with my figurines was combatting fascism but here I am, the fool.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Augus posted:

they should watch twin peaks

as should we all

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ShRdYm2ogE

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Iroh was in the spirit realm in Legend of Korra because he was tried at the Hague for war crimes and executed.

I take no pleasure in reporting this.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Uncle Iroh's kid was the Beau Biden of his day.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That's why people like Kojima or del Toro rule. You have to really lean into and be proud of your goofy genre work. If you aren't earnest, the audience can tell when you think your work is cringe and embarrassing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol why is Someguy posting the same loving article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The horrendous crime that premises season 4 turns out to be justified and all the cosmic horror stuff and ties to season1 are all irrelevant. Quality wise, I wouldn't consider it better or worse than seasons 2 or 3. I think it would have been a better movie than miniseries.