Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
It was a one off so im not entirely sure. I was the only one in the bug hole and i didnt grenade it (because I was running from the barrage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

jokes posted:

No poo poo? I wonder which one it was. I don't think the napalm airstrike can destroy factories/holes, but maybe the strafing run can?

cluster can sometimes cause a structure to be destroyed. i'm not sure if it detonates the red barrels lying around or if one cluster bomb can act as an impact grenade on the front door of a factory. I imagine a gatling barrage might be able to close a bug hole with a direct hit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What are those orange-glowing holes on bot maps? I close them every time I see them, if you throw a grenade in you get a big explosion!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As a gatling barrage lover, they never return my love when I throw the beacon directly into a nest hole and it refuses to break it :saddowns: Just another reason I have been switching over to airburst... Even if that kills WAY more teammates on average.

But always the same way that no random has ever verbally gotten mad about yet. Probably because of how much the sequence of events makes it clear they hosed up. "Watch out. It is big! and will kill every walker in the zip code!... great job, it is almost over-why are you going back in" I don't even have the extra salvo upgrade yet so it isn't people shocked by the +1 round of danger.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 26, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Game's making me thirst for a new World in Conflict

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Rectal Death Alert posted:

You can completely ignore all terminids aside from stalkers and cheese nests of any size solo. Multiple chargers are only a problem if you demand to fight them for some reason and they aren't even in the same realm as flamethrower or rocket hulks. It's why all the sample farmers run bug maps. I can clear the samples, grenade 4-6 holes out of 10, run in circles airstriking the rest and just run away. Egg hatcheries are like 20 seconds solo and the map can be cleared in <15 minutes.

At objectives where you need to fight you can drop a charger in 5-6 seconds knocking the armor off of its front leg. The weak point is the size of some units and they get stunlocked by more than 1 railgun, have to hit you like 3 times to kill you, can be easily outran and get easily stuck on the terrain.

I run into people in game who say bugs are hard too and the only way that makes sense is if you don't know you don't have to fight every one of them that you see or haven't ran harder bot missions. You don't have to fight bots either but by the time im finishing a heavy outpost there are like 5 kinds of unit spawned that will obliterate you at long range.

Shield bots and rocket bots alone are worse than any terminid unit by a huge margin not including the tanks, hulks or turrets that 1 shot you from 100m away.

It's not even close and there is a reason why 75% of the players are at terminids. Water flows downhill and most people don't want to get chewed up in a laser blender when they can run around in circles shooting 2000 bugs having fun.

I had a good team and a long play session saturday and we completed 9 helldive bug extracts with 15+ reinforcements leftover and 40+ samples per run. Helldive bot maps we managed to get on the shuttle 3 times out of 6 and I quit looking for samples because you literally cannot just comically breeze through a batallion of perfectly accurate instakill robots looking for samples while they flail at you like you can bugs.

Bugs are so easy they need buffing or new units immediately. It's not even a contest.

P much my experience too. This is because of shield, stamina booster and light armour. If they nerfed shield to allow slow it would make it much more ammo intensive on bugs. Currently as long as you know which direction is safe ish to kite you’re mostly okay on bugs apart from objectives spawning patrols on you that sound the alarm instantly (fuel missions)

You can’t really ignore bots with rockets of any kind, and you need to dearm or just kill scorchers on sight.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

jokes posted:

What are those orange-glowing holes on bot maps? I close them every time I see them, if you throw a grenade in you get a big explosion!

I think those are just atmospheric, but also they're there to embarrass helldivers. I started a mission by landing my pod in one (died), then got reinforced, called in and picked up my railgun, started running to catch up with everyone and fell into the same hole lol

I did great the rest of the match but lmfao the randos who joined me could not have been impressed

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

The biggest issue that I have from a technical perspective now is that the game just...occasionally crashes my network drivers and I need to do a hard restart to fix it.

I thought maybe it was something I had hosed up, but a search on reddit found other people complaining.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

jokes posted:

they hunger for samples.

Rockman1811
Jun 3, 2021

Local funnyman makes bad jokes

jokes posted:

I am so happy there are no fly-out numbers so that we can all use a vibes-based number system to justify our weapon choices.

Also the OG liberator is weirdly useful the entire game I really thought it was going to end up sucking.

Probably my most used weapon right now. The Explosive rounds version in the premium battle pass is really useful against the bugs though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This stupid game really made me think that if Games Workshop allowed a guardsman commando or a space marine game that follows the same gameplay loop they'd make a billion dollars a day. Space Marine 2 is coming out right now and it looks like it's just more Space Marine 1 (which was a good game). But tack on a meta galaxy map, varied enemy types, the same procgen maps/objectives, unlockable gear..

Anyways, HD2 is my GOTY 2024. Maybe Dragon's Dogma 2 will supplant it.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 26, 2024

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

does anyone else dive before they throw a stratagem to try and get some extra distance?

im not sure if it actually works, but drat, it seems like im chucking these bastards much further

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they inherit forward momentum, yeah. It might be placebo but I do the same poo poo

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

All the big AOE / explosive orbital strikes suck hard compared to precision orbitals and Eagle strikes, which is unfortunate because they all look pretty cool. They need to massively increase the damage-zone or something because even tossing the 380HE in the literal center of a large hive seems to do gently caress all except occasionally kill a few things on the periphery, and the whole squad well outside of the hive as a bonus.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The artillery barrages definitely need a lot more explosions in a lot smaller area because they're entirely useless in my opinion. Even the "Concentrated" artillery fire is absolutely huge. If they shrunk the explosions, doubled the number of shells and reduced the area by ~25% it would see a lot more use.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have read somewhere that armour rating doesn't work because there is a bug, so it's pointless to get heavy armor. Is that right?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

jokes posted:

This stupid game really made me think that if Games Workshop allowed a guardsman commando or a space marine game that follows the same gameplay loop they'd make a billion dollars a day. Space Marine 2 is coming out right now and it looks like it's just more Space Marine 1 (which was a good game). But tack on a meta galaxy map, varied enemy types, the same procgen maps/objectives, unlockable gear..

Anyways, HD2 is my GOTY 2024. Maybe Dragon's Dogma 2 will supplant it.

Microsoft got pitches in the vein for something like this but with the ODST in the Halo universe like 13 times and just kept turning it down.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

thalweg posted:

I still am not sure which bug the stalker is. I know it's gotta be one of the medium sized ones because im not sure whst the difference is between those ones either except that one has armor on the front

Stalkers are the fun guys that are invisible and will tentacle whip you around while also slowing you

jokes posted:

No poo poo? I wonder which one it was. I don't think the napalm airstrike can destroy factories/holes, but maybe the strafing run can?

Napalm strike definitely clears factories with the initial bombs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

I have read somewhere that armour rating doesn't work because there is a bug, so it's pointless to get heavy armor. Is that right?

Yep. It's mentioned on the newest patch note as a known issue.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

sushibandit posted:

All the big AOE / explosive orbital strikes suck hard compared to precision orbitals and Eagle strikes, which is unfortunate because they all look pretty cool. They need to massively increase the damage-zone or something because even tossing the 380HE in the literal center of a large hive seems to do gently caress all except occasionally kill a few things on the periphery, and the whole squad well outside of the hive as a bonus.

I agree that against bugs, the 380mm is poo-poo but it seriously does do work against bot bases/objectives. Again, it works very well with a blitz mentality where you just hit objectives and run because you don't need to be precise or have multiple strikes at the ready. Just huck one beacon somewhere in the middle and hoof it out of there, on to the next objective. Even if you don't complete the objective outright in a single strike, what's left is in a weakened enough state that you can sweep back around once the barrage is over and mop it up quickly.

It and Orbital Strike are my two go-to Stratagems for being a solo operator against bots - Orbital Strike for the heavy outposts/when poo poo hits the fan once I've gotten back with the team, 380mm for objectives/medium bot nests. If I'm feeling spicy, I might leave behind my Shield Gen backpack in favor of Orbital Airburst because then I can clear light outposts and points of interest no contest.

That being said, the 120mm artillery strike is pretty useless, yeah. Same cooldown timer as the 380mm, but less damage/less AoE radius with a just as unpredictable spread, except if you or a teammate is somewhere in the strike zone in which case at least one shell is getting dropped in your lap.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 26, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

its possible to get revenge on the death holes. they explode when you grenade them. i assume they're full of E-710

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Fishstick posted:

Stalkers are the fun guys that are invisible and will tentacle whip you around while also slowing you

Napalm strike definitely clears factories with the initial bombs.

I might actually take napalm over the vanilla airstrike if thats the case. Bots love to stand still and hold positions more than bugs so the added napalm might actually be better for bots maybe.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Turin Turambar posted:

I will die on the hill of "Fortified 50% explosion resistance is clearly why I did not die on this hill"... Even if I am using cash shop light or medium suits with fortified instead of the default heavy fortified suits in the meantime.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

its possible to get revenge on the death holes. they explode when you grenade them. i assume they're full of E-710

kinda wish they'd close up when you grenade them so that the explosion has a "purpose"

Also the recent supercredit armor that make you look like an imperial guardsmen from 40k is the best. Less recoil and +explosion resistance on light armor means I'm taking rockets to the head and surviving sometimes, and I'm mostly getting launched by danger close stratagems rather than deleted

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

I agree that against bugs, the 380mm is poo-poo but it seriously does do work against bot bases/objectives.

Just today I was with a pubbie who tossed a 380 into every medium or large bot base we came across and didn't blow up a single structure. Only 2 team kills tho.

Section Z posted:

I will die on the hill of "Fortified 50% explosion resistance is clearly why I did not die on this hill"... Even if I am using cash shop light or medium suits with fortified instead of the default heavy fortified suits in the meantime.

Right, the extra stuff on armor works. It's the literal Armor Rating which doesn't.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

jokes posted:

gas pockets

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rectal Death Alert posted:

You can completely ignore all terminids aside from stalkers and cheese nests of any size solo. Multiple chargers are only a problem if you demand to fight them for some reason and they aren't even in the same realm as flamethrower or rocket hulks. It's why all the sample farmers run bug maps. I can clear the samples, grenade 4-6 holes out of 10, run in circles airstriking the rest and just run away. Egg hatcheries are like 20 seconds solo and the map can be cleared in <15 minutes.

At objectives where you need to fight you can drop a charger in 5-6 seconds knocking the armor off of its front leg. The weak point is the size of some units and they get stunlocked by more than 1 railgun, have to hit you like 3 times to kill you, can be easily outran and get easily stuck on the terrain.

I run into people in game who say bugs are hard too and the only way that makes sense is if you don't know you don't have to fight every one of them that you see or haven't ran harder bot missions. You don't have to fight bots either but by the time im finishing a heavy outpost there are like 5 kinds of unit spawned that will obliterate you at long range.

Shield bots and rocket bots alone are worse than any terminid unit by a huge margin not including the tanks, hulks or turrets that 1 shot you from 100m away.

It's not even close and there is a reason why 75% of the players are at terminids. Water flows downhill and most people don't want to get chewed up in a laser blender when they can run around in circles shooting 2000 bugs having fun.

I had a good team and a long play session saturday and we completed 9 helldive bug extracts with 15+ reinforcements leftover and 40+ samples per run. Helldive bot maps we managed to get on the shuttle 3 times out of 6 and I quit looking for samples because you literally cannot just comically breeze through a batallion of perfectly accurate instakill robots looking for samples while they flail at you like you can bugs.

Bugs are so easy they need buffing or new units immediately. It's not even a contest.

Yep, you can just hold down sprint and nullify 90% of the bugs threat, the charger gets trivialized by a couple railgun hits and bile titans can get baited to stand still long enough for a 500kg to land on them.

They need some flying types that come out of hives like the stalkers or more variations that can show up randomly like the big vomit bugs and for robots I would like it if their 1 shot kill rockets had a red laser guidance line to make the 1 shots feel less bullshitty.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

jokes posted:

Also the recent supercredit armor that make you look like an imperial guardsmen from 40k is the best. Less recoil and +explosion resistance on light armor means I'm taking rockets to the head and surviving sometimes, and I'm mostly getting launched by danger close stratagems rather than deleted

It's really hard for me to give up the basic warbond Light Armor that's relatively deep in the tree. It's one of the fastest Light Armors you can buy, can ping the map ahead of yourself in order to see what enemy formations there are, and reduces the enemy's vision radius to the point where you can pull off some real sneaky poo poo and not attract any attention - it's pretty phenomenal. Then you take that with the Stamina Booster and you can outrun everything forever to boot.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Longpig Bard posted:

does anyone use HDR in this? Seems broken on my poo poo.

ijyt posted:

It was fine until the recent patch, I assumed it was RTX HDR loving with it from the new drivers. Turning it off in the settings while having HDR still enabled in windows seems to fix it.
I did notice it looking worse since I upgraded my Nvidia drivers, I will have to do what you did or experiment with windows HDR off and try the Nvidia one out.

Hopefully they'll improve it in a month or three.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

CainFortea posted:

Just today I was with a pubbie who tossed a 380 into every medium or large bot base we came across and didn't blow up a single structure. Only 2 team kills tho.

*shrug* I do have L2 Orbital Guns, so the extra radius and barrage might be major contributing factors as to why I seem to be getting decent results with it. I have noticed a not-insignificant number of pubbies have barely upgraded ships (many seem to be focused on grinding XP and ignoring samples) and even those that do have upgrades don't upgrade their orbital guns.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

jokes posted:

Game's making me thirst for a new World in Conflict

:hmmyes:

Ground Control III

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Has the team mentioned anything with vehicles like from HD1? I know mechs were already teased, but for some maps it’d be awesome to drive around in an APC or motorcycle with a sidecar.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In case anyone else didn’t notice, when you pull up your map it shows you how many samples are available on the map. It’s a lot more than you’d think

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Played with a level 25 pubbie who handled all secondary objectives and sample collections. I tried to help them out when I could, they noticed and threw me a Guard Dog.

Also props to the two level 10 pubbies who completed all the primary objectives with little fanfare. I would bounce over and help them if I noticed they were dying a lot or pinging stuff.

The high level dude gave me a handshake right before we evac’d and it felt loving awesome.

Is there any reason to do the illegal Broadcast tower “correctly” or should I just blow it up every single time?

Now that I’ve learned to set the MG43 to 960 rounds per minute I want to bring it all the time. Crouching with it in Engineer armor - you can kill everything.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

space uncle posted:

Is there any reason to do the illegal Broadcast tower “correctly” or should I just blow it up every single time?

There's usually samples and ammo at objective sites, but also enemies and the high chance of summoning more. So nah, merk that poo poo from 100 meters away.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They need some flying types that come out of hives like the stalkers or more variations that can show up randomly like the big vomit bugs and for robots I would like it if their 1 shot kill rockets had a red laser guidance line to make the 1 shots feel less bullshitty.

The loading screen has flying bugs on it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

space uncle posted:

Played with a level 25 pubbie who handled all secondary objectives and sample collections. I tried to help them out when I could, they noticed and threw me a Guard Dog.

Also props to the two level 10 pubbies who completed all the primary objectives with little fanfare. I would bounce over and help them if I noticed they were dying a lot or pinging stuff.

Depending on if I'm playing solo or with a friend, this feels like the only way I play, usually asking people to go and hunt for poo poo while we do the main objectives.

More often than not, though, I'll solo run around nabbing a shitload of samples -- usually I'm able to find enough ammo, grenades, etc. to kind of live off the land and never need a resupply. Definitely need to use jump pack though, because one Saw Bot at the wrong time can ruin things and then you have to make the judgment call of running all the way across the map to see if you can recover your samples if you die.

I love this game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Turin Turambar posted:

Not only pointless, it's actively detrimental because stamina and speed penalties are working. still didn't stop me from buying the hilarious fatman armor that was in the super store yesterday for when they do work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

with how powerful a couple well placed stratagems can be combined with how dangerous they can be to teammates or prevent good placement if you try to avoid friendly fire, it does feel like splitting into two groups of two is often better than staying together for efficiency and mobility to avoid getting stuck in forever fights. or (a bit riskier) a team of three with one little freak running around doing drive by terrorism to faraway bases.