Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching a movie featuring a guy who looks a bit like a Japanese Jesse Plemons and it’s weirding me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Why does Mani look familiar to me?"

(One Google later)

My god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXqY8EZ21-g

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

therattle posted:

Who among us hasn’t had a wry chuckle at Mein Kampf?

Actually I have heard it probably helped the Nazis that Mein Kampf is genuinely absolutely awful from every level, even as a hate read OR as a true believer, so thousands of good Germans bought it and then displayed it unread on the shelf to show allegiance.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean starting the thread with a victim of severe abuse who never really does anything bad to Forest is not setting an amazing tone to begin with

Would you really be okay with a gender-swapped Forrest and Jenny romance?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

I’m watching a movie featuring a guy who looks a bit like a Japanese Jesse Plemons and it’s weirding me out.

Well now I wanna see this guy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

Well now I wanna see this guy

I really hope I'm not the only one who sees it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wouldn’t say he’s the Asian Jesse Plemons, but he has very Plemons-like qualities, a Plemonoid if you will

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Waffleman_ posted:

Watching Brotherhood of the Wolf, and this is already very cool

I haven't seen it in probably fifteen years, but I remember is as good, and the early scene of the two heroes in full coats and hats as very visually striking.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Plemish

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It helps that he plays a happy-go-lucky but boring husband who is completely oblivious to the fact that his wife is extremely cheating on him. And then she pretends to get kidnapped to get away from him, then gets actually kidnapped, then falls in love with her kidnapper, and after finding out all this he shaves his head and puts on a leather jacket to go on an extremely ill-advised revenge quest where all he does is accidentally kill people unrelated the situation. A role that really brings out the Plemons energy in an actor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I haven't seen it in probably fifteen years, but I remember is as good, and the early scene of the two heroes in full coats and hats as very visually striking.

There's no way From Software hadn't seen that scene before making Bloodborne

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

he looks like filthy frank

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

There must have been at least two different occasions where I started watching Brotherhood... because I remembered cool poo poo like that only to be reminded that it also has ~150 minutes of French historical political drama. I respect it for the stuff it pulls off, but there are large chunks that just drag.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, I was kinda wanting a long movie to get lost in anyway so I didn't mind

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why didn't Craig Sheffer ever break through? In the early 90's it looked like he was going to be a genuine movie star but apparently it wasn't in the cards.

Was there a specific reason? Drugs, the law, messy relationship, studio fuckery? If not I guess he just wasn't talented

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gripweed posted:

This is more of a Plemons/Dafoe Asian mashup

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Would you really be okay with a gender-swapped Forrest and Jenny romance?

A fair point, although i think a gender-swapped version would have more complications that would further skew the power dynamics (e.g. I doubt a female version of Forrest would fare as well having less avenues to succeed and become a billionaire national hero, a male Jenny would have been the one to be drafted to go to Vietnam and may have been more likely to turn to violent crime, etc)

Although I'm a little suspect that a blue checkmark was calling Jenny "villainous" because they believe she sexually assaulted a developmentally challenged man. Most people seem to vilify Jenny because she is promiscuous, because she is a drug user, and often because she didn't give in to Forrest's romantic advances sooner; i.e. they just hate her because she is a woman. A Jenny who stayed "faithful" to Forrest and married him sooner would likely be fine with a lot more people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, I was kinda wanting a long movie to get lost in anyway so I didn't mind

Yea Brotherhood of the Wolf has fantastic production design all around, so there's always something nice to look at even if there's no action going on.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Forrest Gump becomes a billionaire???

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i rewatched brotherhood of the wolf like 3 weeks ago after finding a 4k bluray at my local video store.

hadn't seen it since i was a teenager and forgot basically 99% of anything that actually happens.

it was fun and you can tell the crew really cared about what they were making, so it's admirable from that perspective. but overall it's kinda goofy and too long.

the aesthetics are on point tho

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Forrest Gump becomes a billionaire???

Bubba Gump Shrimp becomes a success and Dan invests their money in Apple, which makes them rich.

Definitely in-character for Forrest that "....and then I became a billionaire" is treated like a minor afterthought/footnote in his story.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

i rewatched brotherhood of the wolf like 3 weeks ago after finding a 4k bluray at my local video store.

hadn't seen it since i was a teenager and forgot basically 99% of anything that actually happens.

it was fun and you can tell the crew really cared about what they were making, so it's admirable from that perspective. but overall it's kinda goofy and too long.

the aesthetics are on point tho

I also think there could have been a couple more scenes of the Beast attacking people, give it a bit more horror

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i liked that it was more theoretical and focused on skepticism around the beast, but it really only works if you haven't seen it in forever or never before. could have been cut back or given more to work with in terms of why there might be doubt.

also it feels arbitrary that there was as much/any martial arts thrown into the movie at all. it's really kind of just an excuse for mark dacascos to be in it and for the movie to appeal to people who wanted more stuff like the matrix which only came out like 2 years prior.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Bubba Gump Shrimp becomes a success and Dan invests their money in Apple, which makes them rich.

Definitely in-character for Forrest that "....and then I became a billionaire" is treated like a minor afterthought/footnote in his story.

Yeah admittedly it may have just been tens or hundreds of millions and not a full billy, especially in the early 90s. Forrest calls himself a "gozillionaire" and says they've got "more money than Davy Crockett" but it's hard to gauge what would impress him because he literally just ends up living in the house he grew up in, he's not a man of luxuries

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I mean, the house he grew up in was a plantation manor,

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There aren’t enough sword fights in movies these days.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress off with swords. Axe fights please

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Frankly the fact that they weren't in the full coats and hats the whole movie was a disappointment that poo poo rips

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sword versus axe fights please. We all know how Fire Emblem goes down.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love kung fu hustle but its Axe Gang did not fully utilize the power of axe

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yeah, the length is kind of unwarranted. I think you could make a really tight 90 minute movie out of it from the script stage, but as it is I thought we were gearing up for the final act and I checked and there was a loving hour left.

edit also I get what they were going for but a bone chain-knife-sword is very loving dumb.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 26, 2024

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

part of the reason i rewatched brother of the wolf is because i'm thirsty for some bloodborne/dark souls vibes in other media. turns out there aren't a lot of good fantasy movies that aren't goofball romps like willow or whatever.

things that come to mind that i've seen and are more recent are green knight and the northman, which both rip. i just recently watched fire and ice on amazon prime over the weekend. it scratched the itch kinda even though it was very basic.

anyone know of anything else i should check out? i've also already seen the arnold conan movies. i remember liking red sonja as a kid but haven't seen it since i was like 10. reviews seem to suggest it's pretty bad by today's standards but i might revisit it anyway.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the length is kind of unwarranted. I think you could make a really tight 90 minute movie out of it from the script stage, but as it is I thought we were gearing up for the final act and I checked and there was a loving hour left.

edit also I get what they were going for but a bone chain-knife-sword is very loving dumb.

yeah it's def too long and i agree a tight 90 would serve it much better. that chain knife thing looked so bad on screen but yeah i get what they were going for. i just hope it was part of the inspiration for bloodborne just like the outfits. but i imagine it probably actually stems from something that came before it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Similar to Fire and Ice, but imo better, is The Spine of Night. It came out fairly recently.

Dragonslayer is also solid 80s fantasy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you like BotW, you'll probably like the Solomon Kane movie starring James Purefoy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh also there's a cast member in Brotherhood of the Wolf named "Jean-Loup Wolff" which is too on the nose to be his real name. Turns out his real name is Jean-Loup Wolfman.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The man's loving name is John Wolf Wolfman

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watching Robin Hood: Men in Tights. So far it’s not as good as the other Mel Brooks movies I’ve seen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gripweed posted:

Watching Robin Hood: Men in Tights. So far it’s not as good as the other Mel Brooks movies I’ve seen.

Robin Hood Men in Tights is a special film to me because there was one summer when I was in like 15 where it was the tape I had just sitting in my VHS player so multiple times a week when I was up late gaming on my PC, I'd just hit play and have it as background noise.

It may not be his best film, but it's the one that I've seen the most and 2nd place doesn't even come close.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

Similar to Fire and Ice, but imo better, is The Spine of Night. It came out fairly recently.

Dragonslayer is also solid 80s fantasy.

Halloween Jack posted:

If you like BotW, you'll probably like the Solomon Kane movie starring James Purefoy.

these all look like what i'm looking for. thanks!

Gripweed posted:

like Mordiceius, i also had this on tape as a kid so i just wound up watching it a bunch and have fond memories of it. i also had dracula dead and loving it which i saw a bunch, but i had never actually seen bram stoker's dracula until a few years ago. i was astonished at how much of the story i knew just bc i have memories of seeing the parody as a kid lol.

https://y.yarn.co/6137e580-a6ef-4163-ae34-2a013fe4f5a6.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^^
Dragonslayer is also the ultra rare Peter MacNicol lead role.