Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Jon Carbuncle posted:

don’t worry, Islamophobia is back on the menu. they’ll blame Muslims as much as the left this time when biden loses Michigan.

Dems will cheer when Trump rounds up and interns all Muslims. They're already gleefully fantasizing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
"Enjoy your deportation under Trump!" the liberal shouts, weeks after Biden tried bargaining with Texas to stop killing migrants by suggesting he be given the power to shut down the border and use it day 1 of being able to do so.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

the dems are just supposed to be polite, competent nazis. their primary objections to afghanistan and iraq were that the genocides were being bungled, not that we shouldn't commit genocide. that's why the harshest rebuke they have for the palestinian genocide is that netanyahu should resign because he's being ineffective. not that billions of dollars of american weapons and logistics support are bankrolling a genocide which could not happen without american support. death to america

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

HermitSupplier posted:

I scrolled up a bit to see if anyone posted it already but couldn't find it in my quick glance, but I saw a thread some liberal on twitter made that was like "Sorry guys, the Arab population in Michigan is like 1% and Biden won by 1.8% there last time, so this really won't affect him."

Yeah cause .8% is pocket change in an election and the only people that care about genocide are people of the same race or ethnicity as those getting genocided. The election might as well be cancelled with how sure Biden is to win now!
Since when have a few thousand votes in swing states actually swung an election? Wait, wait, hold on...

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
"Every vote matters to save democracy" and "eh whatever he can lose thousands of voters to a nation-wide unpopular position" should not be bouncing around in the same head and yet life finds a way

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

HermitSupplier posted:

"Every vote matters to save democracy" and "eh whatever he can lose thousands of voters to a nation-wide unpopular position" should not be bouncing around in the same head and yet life finds a way

Oh sweaty, if the dems did [thing] the lefties want he'd definitely lose tens of thousands of votes, therefore the mature thing to do is harden your gooey left mush heart and suck it up so they lose no votes.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
I guess I can't blame liberals too hard for thinking capitulating to your opponent's every demand with little push back is how you get things done. I mean that's how the Democrats keep passing poo poo that Republicans want, and if you only look at whether a D or an R is next to a bill that's passed it sure looks like progress!

Progress in what direction, you ask? Don't worry, doesn't matter. Just. Vote.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

VitalSigns posted:

Wasn't this Hillary's strategy. People will be disappointed if you make promises and don't deliver, therefore promise them nothing and expect them to vote for nothing because ???
I remember her answering difficult policy questions with "read my website." Also she had stuff that bombed like telling miners that their jobs would be obsoleted during her term but she'd subsidize coding bootcamps. So maybe at the tail end she stopped?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Joe Biden didn't give me my money, and now that I've finally gotten around to doing my taxes I'm seeing what loving bullshit everyone was complaining about? "oh it's trump" gently caress you Joe

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Coolness Averted posted:

Also she had stuff that bombed like telling miners that their jobs would be obsoleted during her term but she'd subsidize coding bootcamps. So maybe at the tail end she stopped?
Totally hosed up that a woman got criticized for this when a man--her own husband, even--did it and was rewarded with the presidency.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Totally hosed up that a woman got criticized for this when a man--her own husband, even--did it and was rewarded with the presidency.

Don't forget how the wife of President NAFTA got so unfairly punished for supporting the TPP. Rust Belt voters were basically the crowd demanding Pilate crucify Jesus.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Complications posted:

Oh sweaty, if the dems did [thing] the lefties want he'd definitely lose tens of thousands of votes, therefore the mature thing to do is harden your gooey left mush heart and suck it up so they lose no votes.

Hello celebrated liberal "scholar" Andrew B. Hall

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

HermitSupplier posted:

"Enjoy your deportation under Trump!" the liberal shouts, weeks after Biden tried bargaining with Texas to stop killing migrants by suggesting he be given the power to shut down the border and use it day 1 of being able to do so.

This isn't nearly horny enough to replicate how they are talking about Michigan residents such as myself. You really have to put in lines about how Trump is going to hunt down and [redacted] everyone's families in sweaty detail normally used to write Harry Potter slashfic. It's truly disturbing.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The greatest lib power fantasy is to watch gross injustices happen on the internet and feeling like a good person because you are not personally involved with their execution.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
If this is democracy I don't want it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1762185345058185711

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

HermitSupplier posted:

I scrolled up a bit to see if anyone posted it already but couldn't find it in my quick glance, but I saw a thread some liberal on twitter made that was like "Sorry guys, the Arab population in Michigan is like 1% and Biden won by 1.8% there last time, so this really won't affect him."

Yeah cause .8% is pocket change in an election and the only people that care about genocide are people of the same race or ethnicity as those getting genocided. The election might as well be cancelled with how sure Biden is to win now!

michigan is around 2.2% arab

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Paging Ian Sams to tell us how diverse Minnesota is

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Retromancer posted:

Dems will cheer when Trump rounds up and interns all Muslims. They're already gleefully fantasizing about it.

I've seen enough vote scolds suddenly scream at LGBTQ+ people online about how they will be in camps if Trump wins to know they are itching to snitch on everyone they can

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

this really is incredible work on biden's part

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Jesus Christ. That's absolutely loving catastrophic for the Dems, and they're sleepwalking into it because they just can't let go of the idea that there's somehow this secret cache of support for their sundowning genocidist-in-chief. Guess the consultants still get paid either way, though.

I knew Biden was going to be a poo poo president, but I continue to be amazed at just how terrible he is, that he's managed to piss this many people off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They promised that Biden would be a historic president.

Promise kept.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's just like fdr, in that fdr died long ago.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Kreeblah posted:

Jesus Christ. That's absolutely loving catastrophic for the Dems, and they're sleepwalking into it because they just can't let go of the idea that there's somehow this secret cache of support for their sundowning genocidist-in-chief. Guess the consultants still get paid either way, though.

I knew Biden was going to be a poo poo president, but I continue to be amazed at just how terrible he is, that he's managed to piss this many people off.

yeah it really is insane lol and it's not like anyone forgot how much they hated trump. he was such a polarizing figure, everyone had an opinion on him. it's just that biden and the demokkkrat party have done such an abysmal job, people are willing to take four years of trump over another four years of biden. lmao incredible work democrats

like i know it won't happen but when the democrats lose they need to clean house from top to bottom and fundamentally change everything about their party

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump says that he wants to do things, and he wields the power of his office to do those things.

When Democrats take power, they have no ambition of their own and continue at least half of the policies that Trump put in place—usually quietly, but sometimes they brag about e.g. how tough they are on the “the border” or how they’ve “pruned” the public assistance rolls.

The only people who like this poo poo are like a baker’s dozen BosWash columnists and that imaginary family in Chuck Schumer’s head.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thoguh posted:

In 100 years, if histories are still being written, Trump will be mostly forgotten other than the trivia of his terms being split. But Biden will be the guy that is pointed to as making the decisions and actions that cost America its place at the top of the world stage.

I disagree with this. The inflection point for the US surrendering global leadership will be 9/11 to the average global citizen and the Iraq war for those with a bit more knowledge. Two failed imperial wars on the global stage was more than enough to show the weakness in the hegemon.

It depends how the cards end up falling but Obama-Trump-Biden-Trump will likely be viewed as just flailing about, with the electorate trying anyone who claims to have an idea of what to do and the cycle will likely continue until some event radically redirects history.

Trump has the ability to permanently change the flavor of the nation, assuming it continues as a going concern for the foreseeable future, but I don't think he will. His "policy and doctrine" just aren't articulated enough to be passed on, and what makes him unique is actually unique--once he's gone the "movement" won't last because it simply can't be replicated.

The thing that makes this moment so interesting from an historical point of view though is this:

Nichael posted:

Can someone tell me what the platform is of the national Democrat Party?

In other words, that in an era crying out for someone to lead only one party was able to produce a person for people to invest their faith in while the other had no answers at all other than "Well not him." Elections continue to be split about evenly after a quarter century, the empire clearly has lost its mojo abroad and at home, and yet one of two parties not only has no national leader of any note but also no platform to speak of. I will say that I think at least some of that is because of Obama and the promises made and broken, but I'm not sure that lesson to be learned there was to stop making promises.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Kreeblah posted:

He can't even get dogs right!

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah it really is insane lol and it's not like anyone forgot how much they hated trump. he was such a polarizing figure, everyone had an opinion on him. it's just that biden and the demokkkrat party have done such an abysmal job, people are willing to take four years of trump over another four years of biden. lmao incredible work democrats

like i know it won't happen but when the democrats lose they need to clean house from top to bottom and fundamentally change everything about their party

When the Democrats lose, they'll say "We need to get more racist".

They also say the same thing when they win.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The only people who like this poo poo are like a baker’s dozen BosWash columnists and that imaginary family in Chuck Schumer’s head.

reminder that the imaginary family in Chuck Schumer's head was based upon a couple he knew in real life who both had paid positions with the republican national committee

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

although in Chuck's defense, a couple who live in brooklyn and own their own home, work for the RNC, and stand for the national anthem during televised sporting events is the platonic ideal of a liberal

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Platystemon posted:

:yooge: remember baileys!

From 2007

quote:

Schumer says that he is accompanied everywhere he goes by two imaginary middle-class friends, who advise him on all manner of middle-class concerns. Their names, until recently, were Joe and Eileen O’Reilly. “For the book’s sake, we wanted them to be more national,” Schumer said, “so they became the Baileys.” The Baileys live in Massapequa, in Nassau County, a town that is invariably known on Long Island as “Matzoh-Pizza.”

The Baileys are both forty-five years old: Joe works for an insurance company, Eileen is a part-time employee at a doctor’s office. They worry about terrorism, and about values, and they are patriots—“Joe takes off his cap and sings along with the national anthem before the occasional Islanders game,” Schumer wrote. He elaborated, “They’re not ideologues. They’re worried about property taxes. It’s the tax they hate. And that’s what Democrats don’t get.” He has also drafted the Baileys in defending the C.I.A.’s human-intelligence program: “Had Joe and Eileen been in the room after the hum-int screwup, they would not have indulged in the blame game, gutted the human-intelligence program, or weakened America.”

[...]

As swing voters, Schumer said, “the Baileys were very anti-Hillary when she ran in 2000, but they voted for her in 2006.” He went on, “They like Rudy. It depends on how he plays it. If Rudy continues to adhere to the right-wing Republican line, just cutting taxes for the wealthy, he won’t get their vote.”

It turns out, Schumer said, as he ate an almond cookie, that there are some actual Baileys in Massapequa, and he once met a couple of them. Mrs. Bailey was a kind woman, “very nice, a nice lady,” but the actual Mr. Bailey was a Republican. Even worse, Schumer said, he had a goatee. “Joe Bailey would never have a goatee.”

From 2021

quote:

Chuck Schumer didn’t become Senate Majority Leader by being bad at politics. Quite the opposite: he’s won more than a dozen elections, served 40 years in Congress, and worked his way to the top of the Senate Democratic Caucus in part by keeping in mind two of his imaginary constituents.

Offhand that might sound silly, because Sen. Schumer has nearly 20 million real constituents. But in practice, it has proved to be a helpful gut check. Early in his career, Schumer invented a fictional typical middle-class couple to help keep him grounded in what his constituents want. He named them Joe and Eileen Bailey.

In Schumer’s telling, Joe is an insurance salesman and Eileen works in a doctor’s office. They are 45 years old, live in Nassau County, Long Island, and voted for Trump in 2016 (though they split their vote in 2020). Schumer said earlier this year that “the fact that the world has changed [means] the Baileys feel they need more help in so many different ways” — primarily economic help from the government.

The fictional Baileys serve as an important counterweight to the chattering Beltway classes of advocates, staffers, and journalists — who are generally more liberal than most politicians’ constituencies. But spend enough time in the Beltway bubble, and you might start thinking that Twitter’s trending topics represent what voters care about.

the democrats are recessioned

ex post facho has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Feb 27, 2024

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

legit hope these demons get obliterated at least thats one enemy less for the left

the gop is easier to get people mad at

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ClassActionFursuit posted:

I disagree with this. The inflection point for the US surrendering global leadership will be 9/11 to the average global citizen and the Iraq war for those with a bit more knowledge. Two failed imperial wars on the global stage was more than enough to show the weakness in the hegemon.

It depends how the cards end up falling but Obama-Trump-Biden-Trump will likely be viewed as just flailing about, with the electorate trying anyone who claims to have an idea of what to do and the cycle will likely continue until some event radically redirects history.

Trump has the ability to permanently change the flavor of the nation, assuming it continues as a going concern for the foreseeable future, but I don't think he will. His "policy and doctrine" just aren't articulated enough to be passed on, and what makes him unique is actually unique--once he's gone the "movement" won't last because it simply can't be replicated.

The thing that makes this moment so interesting from an historical point of view though is this:

In other words, that in an era crying out for someone to lead only one party was able to produce a person for people to invest their faith in while the other had no answers at all other than "Well not him." Elections continue to be split about evenly after a quarter century, the empire clearly has lost its mojo abroad and at home, and yet one of two parties not only has no national leader of any note but also no platform to speak of. I will say that I think at least some of that is because of Obama and the promises made and broken, but I'm not sure that lesson to be learned there was to stop making promises.

good post

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Good thing he made up some imaginary middle class couple so he doesn't have to dirty his hands touching the unwashed masses

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

HermitSupplier posted:

Good thing he made up some imaginary middle class couple so he doesn't have to dirty his hands touching the unwashed masses

If they can afford real estate on Long Island they aren’t exactly middle class. double lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love, grilling, hockey and the hum-int gathering capabilities of the CIA

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1762486466922377529

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1762485548650745865

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it is important to remember that polls aren't real. but they are funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

In Training posted:

I love, grilling, hockey and the hum-int gathering capabilities of the CIA