Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I watched a Dick Tracy retrospective on youtube after it came up in the last thread and it had some interesting stuff about the film's relationship to Warren Beatty's general career trajectory but tragically it was Patrick H Willems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762184977020576087?t=BMTU3B-T1A2lFGweH2qurA&s=19

Christopher Nolan is a robot who doesn't understand human concepts.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you either die an auteur or live long enough to see yourself become a studio hack

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
*whispers in nolan's esr* it's be ause he's Two-Face

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

save you a google: his brother jonathan wrote the line, and nolan was bringing it up in the context of how oppenheimer was treated after the manhattan project

for some reason christopher nolan is very interested in how the public builds people up as legends and then tears them down lol hmm

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

tenet is back in theaters from last week till wednesday. remember tenet? chris nolan sure hopes so

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

kalel posted:

tenet is back in theaters from last week till wednesday. remember tenet? chris nolan sure hopes so

[inaudible reply]

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Endless Trash posted:

[inaudible reply]

*muffled post completely drowned out by the roar of a freight train*

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Gutcruncher posted:

Speaking of bad movies with great production design, I just watched Toys. Pretty stupid but every frame was delightful

Same vein, just watched Saltburn. It's Nepo baby's first Talented Mr Ripley. The partys looked lush though

jazzyjay fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 27, 2024

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

My folks, in their early 70s, are after me to watch something together so I turn to you nerds for some rec's.
Framas and thrillers, no excessive gore and no sexuality. No horror. They can handle some language and the occasional scifi.

Last thing I screened for them was Sling Blade, which they loved, but that's a downer. They loved Arrival. They liked No Country but found it paced too slow. Doubly so for The Conversation. They don't really get the quirkiness of Coen Bros stuff.

Any ideas? I would thinking There Will Be Blood. Struggling to think of more middle-of-the-road dramas that are worth watching that won't offend old fogeys too much.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do you like your folks? If not, set them on the Yellowstone path.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

My folks, in their early 70s, are after me to watch something together so I turn to you nerds for some rec's.
Framas and thrillers, no excessive gore and no sexuality. No horror. They can handle some language and the occasional scifi.

Last thing I screened for them was Sling Blade, which they loved, but that's a downer. They loved Arrival. They liked No Country but found it paced too slow. Doubly so for The Conversation. They don't really get the quirkiness of Coen Bros stuff.

Any ideas? I would thinking There Will Be Blood. Struggling to think of more middle-of-the-road dramas that are worth watching that won't offend old fogeys too much.

Vast of Night
12 Angry Men
Flight of the Phoenix
Heat

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

middle-of-the-road dramas that are worth watching that won't offend old fogeys too much.

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Sling Blade
Arrival
No Country
The Conversation
There Will Be Blood
uh
wait, are you looking for middle of the road dramas that are worth watching but won't offend your parents, or are you looking for some of the most critically acclaimed films of all time? :confused:

I can recommend you some B+ dramas that I think moms and dads might like but they are not as good as There Will Be Blood

the finest hours, deepwater horizon, the descendents, stranger than fiction, that jim carrey one with the memory wipe machine

or I could recommend some of the best movies ever made? I guess??
lawrence of arabia, the man who would be king, casablanca

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
So, one of the Youtube movie critics parodied on Nerd Crew refuses to review Madame Web because he's a "positive guy" and saying negative things about a piece of poo poo garbage movie directed by a WOMAN featuring WOMEN is just toxic behavior and wrong.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

my folks really like the show Ghosts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

A Serbian Film
Taxidermia
Martyrs

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Castor Poe posted:

So, one of the Youtube movie critics parodied on Nerd Crew refuses to review Madame Web because he's a "positive guy" and saying negative things about a piece of poo poo garbage movie directed by a WOMAN featuring WOMEN is just toxic behavior and wrong.
mad?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Castor Poe posted:

On the other hand it's very boring when something everyone knows is terrible comes out and every person whose bread n butter is making background noise videos take their turns dumping on it, nothing new or interesting to add, just having permission to dump on something and taking their whack at the already busted pinata.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

You're incredibly toxic.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Endless Trash posted:

[inaudible reply]

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Toys owns

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

margin call, the big short, silence, grave of the fireflies

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

LanceHunter posted:

They basically did that already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YOdl4iZjiU

(But it is yet another example of Kumail playing an Indian character.)

At least they've moved on from this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU9s8L7Sewg

And to the poster looking for a movie for their folks to watch, I'd throw Dog Day Afternoon into the mix.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Pretty much any Denzel movie, Any McTiernan movie after predator but before rollerball, iunno white saviour historical drama poo poo like The Last Samurai? Old honkys love that poo poo

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Attack The Block

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of Last Samurai has anyone watched Shogun yet?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

kalel posted:

grave of the fireflies
homie said sling blade was a downer and you

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

master and commander the far side of the world

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

90s and aughts mid budget schmaltzy thrillers/dramas that boomers and Gen xers are suckers for: Body of lies, eagle eye, state of play, Erin brockovich, the green mile, the Shawshank redemption, national treasure, the notebook, before sunrise/sunset/midnight, The pursuit of happiness, remember the Titans, ray, up, Titanic, eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, being John malkovich, adaptation, Synecdoche New York, anomalisa, I'm thinking of ending things

kalel fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 27, 2024

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

kalel posted:

I'm thinking of ending things

chin up bud

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Just put on Forest Gump, old people love that.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Speaking of Last Samurai has anyone watched Shogun yet?

No, but I've been binging Tokyo Vice and it's great! Seems to do a good job painting a picture of the late 90's Tokyo scene and doesn't fall into the trap of focusing too much on Ansel Elgort's character. He's a huge gently caress up more than anything else. It got me interested in checking out Shogun, but I love the book and something tells me I'll be disappointed by the show.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Paddyo posted:

No, but I've been binging Tokyo Vice and it's great! Seems to do a good job painting a picture of the late 90's Tokyo scene and doesn't fall into the trap of focusing too much on Ansel Elgort's character. He's a huge gently caress up more than anything else. It got me interested in checking out Shogun, but I love the book and something tells me I'll be disappointed by the show.

How's season 2? I really enjoyed the first one.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

My parents liked The Outsider on Max. It's Stephen King telling a slightly spooky mystery story. It's pretty good.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

How's season 2? I really enjoyed the first one.

So far so good. All the characters are spread out and doing their own things independently of each other, but it's all interesting and you get the sense that it's building towards something. Adelstein continues to be a dumb rear end.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

Triple with Hard Boiled

Also I gotta recommend Boiling Point again especially if you’ve ever worked in a restaurant. It gets literally everything right. It’s wild it was shot in 1 take. Like, I don’t even know how that’s possible.

it's probaby shot in one take like how top gun maverick is all practical effects

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Collateral, with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx. Some gunshots/blood but nothing I would describe as "gore." Great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Paddyo posted:

So far so good. All the characters are spread out and doing their own things independently of each other,

Season 2s love to do this, they’re obsessed