Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Oddly enough, I just spun up a new Linux VM in an unRAID setup today. May not suit your needs but it most certainly works for what the client wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the best virtualization tool for running x86 linux VMs on a modern Apple Silicon host? Ideally using Rosetta so that performance isn't dogshit?

There isn't a way to do precisely what you described. Rosetta doesn't provide the full-machine emulation you'd need to run an entire x86 VM, it's limited to running userspace x86 binaries on an arm64 OS.

What you can do is run an arm64 linux guest, and install Rosetta for Linux in that guest to enable it to run x86 binaries at high speed. As already suggested, UTM is a good place to start.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BobHoward posted:

There isn't a way to do precisely what you described. Rosetta doesn't provide the full-machine emulation you'd need to run an entire x86 VM, it's limited to running userspace x86 binaries on an arm64 OS.

What you can do is run an arm64 linux guest, and install Rosetta for Linux in that guest to enable it to run x86 binaries at high speed. As already suggested, UTM is a good place to start.

That isn’t strictly true - Rosetta doesn’t do full machine emulation; but UTM does (and has done for at least several years now). You can configure it in the settings and have it run in emulation mode, and then create an X86 VM. The performance penalty is abysmal however - or at least it was when I tried it back when I bought my M1 Max Mac Studio. It may very well have improved significantly back then but at the time, running a contemporary OS (I tested a couple of linux distros aimed at low spec machines) was borderline unusable. Potentially if your needs were super limited - ie having a linux distro with no GUI doing very basic non time sensitive stuff you could make it work.

Older systems worked surprisingly well - you could get a perfectly serviceable windows 95 VM running for eg. maybe even windows xp.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Lord Bude posted:

That isn’t strictly true - Rosetta doesn’t do full machine emulation; but UTM does (and has done for at least several years now).

this isn't a good well actually because it doesn't contradict anything I said, OP ideally wanted Rosetta performance while running an x86 VM and that's not possible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kibner posted:

UTM is a pretty good and simple one to use: https://mac.getutm.app/gallery/

There are a few things you can't do (like passthrough USB devices, iirc) but that is a limitation on Apple's side because they haven't exposed a way to do that, yet.

Wait, that can do Mac OS 9? Is it any more stable than SheepShaver?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

On my iPhone iOS allows me to make keyboard shortcuts ( such as when you type gently caress it knows I don't mean duck and I can type " l l a p (without spaces) to get the 🖖 emoji.) How do I do this in MacOS so when I type "hmmyes" for the :hmmyes: smilie here?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

settings > keyboard > text replacements

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Wait, what? :stare:
There's no way they let you add your own emojis on an non-jailbroken iPhone or MacBook, is there? :ohdear:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Clark Nova posted:

settings > keyboard > text replacements

It's been so long since I've done it on the phone that I forgot that part and was searching in accessibility :doh: Thank you!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eightysixed posted:

There's no way they let you add your own emojis on an non-jailbroken iPhone or MacBook, is there? :ohdear:

No- I just have shortcuts I use such as "g o s h" becomes ✨🙀✨

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

eightysixed posted:

nah, it has to be a unicode character 𓂸 𓂸 𓂸

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, but in iMessage or in the SA App or whatever?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

This is not an iPhone emoji.
I'm confused.
Teach me your Jedi tricks.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eightysixed posted:

This is not an iPhone emoji.
I'm confused.
Teach me your Jedi tricks.

It's an SA emoji - when I type "hmmyes" it becomes "hmm yes" because the mac's system thinks I'm misspelling it and correcting it. Since I use the emoji here a lot I get tired of correcting it all the time, that's all. This only works when I use it here for SA's own emojis when you type the ":" before and after the trigger word from that big list on that page.

edit: the reason I was asking about it in this thread was because I had forgotten how I did it on my phone since it's been so long since I had done it and I was hoping that there was a setting here on the Mac that did the same thing.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 26, 2024

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Oh.Also, yes, I know.
Somehow I thought you were inserting new emojis into iMessage.
Yeah, I've long been aware of the "this is what I want to type, do not autocorrect" thing, I just thought you found something cool :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eightysixed posted:

Oh.Also, yes, I know.
Yeah, I've long been aware of the "this is what I want to type, do not autocorrect" thing, I just thought you found something cool :v:

Yeah, sorry I worded it poorly. :shobon:

Hmm "shobon" is another I have to change so it doesn't keep changing that to "shown"

yeah it does work well with Unicode as well ☭

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I got a macropad so I can one-button emojis in various slacks and the forums.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Oh.Also, yes, I know.

If you have the Awful app, you get all the smiles as another iOS keyboard. You have to turn it on though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:chanpop: I didn’t realize that

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

:chanpop: I didn’t realize that

It really doesn't work very well at all, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

iitt wwoorrkkss ffffiiiinnnneeee

smr
Dec 18, 2002

the gently caress is macos safari’s beef with favicons? only browser on earth that’ll just stop rendering some of them on the tab regularly. i constantly eyeball tabs for the favicon of the site i’m looking for so this is hell of annoying.

piece of poo poo browser.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I noticed this too, but I thought it was just me :stare:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You answered your own question friend!

smr posted:

the gently caress is macos safari

smr posted:

piece of poo poo browser.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol if you use tabs and don't just simply stack an endless array of windows across your desktop.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

prom candy posted:

You answered your own question friend!

lol. i’m just amazed that this bug has existed for years, since their itself years-delayed introduction of even having the goddamned favicon on the tab, and they cannot or will not figure it the gently caress out. I just did the loving purge favicon cache bullshit again and immediately on reload one tab is displaying the generic cap letter instead of the favicon that other tabs from the same goddamned site are happily showing.

christ, this company…

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i've been using and enjoying Arc but if you're running off battery a lot it's kinda rough. it would be really nice if the built-in and very performant browser didn't suck absolute poo poo.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just use Chrome. It’s the best turd in the toilet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Silly Burrito posted:

Just cruel advice here.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

gross

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

:nexus:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

prom candy posted:

i've been using and enjoying Arc but if you're running off battery a lot it's kinda rough. it would be really nice if the built-in and very performant browser didn't suck absolute poo poo.

My understanding is that the most recent version of it are way better on power draw.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m extremely confused about why something as pointless and inane as a favicon has inspired such vitriol.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

When you have eighty tabs it’s the only way to tell them apart

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

When you have eighty tabs it’s the only way to tell them apart

If you’ve got 80 tabs open you have far bigger problems than missing favicons. And at that point you really ought to have a better system for organising your tabs.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

The Lord Bude posted:

If you’ve got 80 tabs open you have far bigger problems than missing favicons. And at that point you really ought to have a better system for organising your tabs.

And that system is Arc

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

smr posted:

lol. i’m just amazed that this bug has existed for years, since their itself years-delayed introduction of even having the goddamned favicon on the tab, and they cannot or will not figure it the gently caress out. I just did the loving purge favicon cache bullshit again and immediately on reload one tab is displaying the generic cap letter instead of the favicon that other tabs from the same goddamned site are happily showing.

christ, this company…

I am informed that Apple's bug-fixing process is a bit dysfunctional - if the bug is not 'a regression' (i.e. a bug that appeared recently), they will ignore it.

Silly Burrito posted:

That seems like an awfully strange way to say 'Firefox'.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

lol if you use tabs and don't just simply stack an endless array of windows across your desktop.

This

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splinter posted:

And that system is Arc

80 is for babies i have 553

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Quackles posted:

That seems like an awfully strange way to say 'Firefox'.

:hmmyes: