Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

mycot posted:

Tbf some stuff like the blue haired nobility is definitely riffing on Fire Emblem.

https://twitter.com/wahvelene/status/1760936191061528615?t=Y1ifDH9EBV8k0F-OSQOjPQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Fine, fine, I was just trying to be nice.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

God drat I watched a friend stream this game and it looks awesome. I want to buy a Switch for it. I am idiot.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Chillgamesh posted:

God drat I watched a friend stream this game and it looks awesome. I want to buy a Switch for it. I am idiot.

Nah that's just good business, friend. Buy Mario Odyssey while you're at it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well I put Gammel in the jail and after meeting the other archer guy that...might not have been the way to go.

Also only got half an hour left on my demo, it's gonna be a long time till the 8th.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Magnus never used a shield, totally different

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Have about an hour left and have haven't been rushing at all, but definitely been having a lot of fun. Could have gotten more done, but been having great fun exploring all the open areas and running past the guards to nab all the exploration points rather than focusing down hard on liberating areas.

With that said, not entirely sure this Recommended Level 38 battle is reasonably doable within the demo even if I hadn't been screwing around. Everything else I've found has just been slowly counting up towards 10 (and they still haven't reached there), and then just chatted with a guy on a bridge (not the ones claiming Galerius' domain is beyond them and Josef warns you against fighting) and that monster just popped up.

Unlucky7 posted:

So does it seem like there is a time limit to rescuing Scarlett? I just had a cutscene showing her while she is being held captive, and it feels like the game is telling me to stop screwing around

DalaranJ posted:

I think if this were the case they would have made more of it in their marketing, "dynamic story line!".
I fully expect the Gammel choice to boil down whether he says the line "Now I'll pay you back for what you did," or "Oh, it's those gullible rubes again,"

More to the point that cutscene pops up very quickly, and the main quest about confronting her kidnapper and rescuing her (which may or may not actually do so - haven't actually done it yet) is literally on the opposite side of Cornia and you can't go straight through the middle. So unless you're planning to take on a Recommended Level 8 quest without taking any of the many areas between you and there, it's not happening quickly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ibblebibble posted:

I'll be honest, I've never played an FE or Ogre Battle so all the sly references are completely lost on me.

Anyone found any surprisingly OP unit formations yet? I've found that Lex/Chloe/Audric have been a solid trio despite Lex and Chloe's slow starts.

Hodrick/Sharon/Berenice is a wood chipper that is limited only by movement speed and stamina, and even when they run out of stamina they can hold a choke forever against anything that isn't magic-based.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 26, 2024

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Runa posted:

UNICORN OVERLORD

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

7 minutes left, no real time to finish anything else so just going to put this on hold for a week and a half. Liberated up through Berenice, but ended up exploring a lot more of the map than just that.

Zurai posted:

I didn't get to do literally everything in the demo, but the closest I got was griffon riders. EDIT: And one "angel" (just a winged person with a sword, no holy magic or anything) that was only a temporary ally for one stage but I know is a playable unit type in the full game.

You might have already found this out, but Ochlys is absolutely recruitable in the demo. You just have to do her quest, which is to buy 30+ Divine Shards worth of stuff from her.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Well I put Gammel in the jail and after meeting the other archer guy that...might not have been the way to go.

Also only got half an hour left on my demo, it's gonna be a long time till the 8th.

I am probably sending a lot of mixed signals by putting Gammel in jail but letting go the archer (though in the later case the alternative was outright execution, in my defense)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

I am probably sending a lot of mixed signals by putting Gammel in jail but letting go the archer (though in the later case the alternative was outright execution, in my defense)

Yeah that's what I ended up doing.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Alain demands blood and will only stand for execution of shitters

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The demo being so long and good is causing me agony because despite playing it twice I still need more.

I shouldn't have played it.....:negative:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
It's out on the 8th, you're gonna be okay

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kanos posted:

The demo being so long and good is causing me agony because despite playing it twice I still need more.

I shouldn't have played it.....:negative:

I had to make myself stop playing the demo pretty quickly. I knew if I continued I'd be thinking about it while I played through FF7 Rebirth and I want to devote my brain to whatever fun craziness that delivers.

I'm still more excited about Unicorn Overlord.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
Yeah, I'm someone that loved FF7 Remake and will probably love Rebirth, but dang I really wanna play more Unicorn Overlord.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

A Sinister Rap posted:

Yeah, I'm someone that loved FF7 Remake and will probably love Rebirth, but dang I really wanna play more Unicorn Overlord.

:same:

I finished the demo and I keep thinking about how much I want to play more of it. And there's two other games i'm excited for coming out this week!

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

My god it's going to be a long two weeks

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I'm going to become the Unicorn Overlord

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The first thing I’m gonna do when I get the game is find the unicorns. Then I’m going to lord it over them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Come play my Overlord

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there any point to trying to explore ahead in exploration in the overworld/explore/town segment. Like in one spot, token max level Knight mentor who will disappear soon tells me to maybe go do the baby stuff first. I was just poking my head around to see more what was around. Would I have skipped the side quests by going up there or just get my rear end kicked?

Really mostly just curious if it's possible and how telegraphed it is when you've gone too far and might skip stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

youd just get your rear end kicked. i dont think anything is 'missable' if you do it early but its pretty hard to do it early with how the scaling is structured.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Is there any point to trying to explore ahead in exploration in the overworld/explore/town segment. Like in one spot, token max level Knight mentor who will disappear soon tells me to maybe go do the baby stuff first. I was just poking my head around to see more what was around. Would I have skipped the side quests by going up there or just get my rear end kicked?

Really mostly just curious if it's possible and how telegraphed it is when you've gone too far and might skip stuff.

The only areas in Cornia that are absolutely off-limits are the central area, with all entrances blocked by stationary guards that will pop a level 40 quest if you ignore Josef's advice on talking to them, and another guard blocking a bridge to an area close to the center that will pop a level 38 quest when you talk to him. Everything else in the country seemingly only ranges up to ~level 12, so as soon as you get a strong enough unit that can cause more damage than taken against those then you can explore everything else.

There are some reasons to go exploring ahead of actually liberating places, as it lets you trigger the exploration points early (and they slowly replenish over time) and get a variety of consumables. Plus divine stones to buy stuff in the Featherfolk shop. There's also a VERY powerful weapon you can find once you recruit Yahna if you go exploring, which will basically trivialize the rest of the demo with the right party comp.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Right on, I poked around a bit and got some early treasures before doing the mission that had me fight back through the area. Plus bonus valor if you manage to defeat them. Recruited my first merc, a Gryphon Rider. You get to change their name and voice but I don't recall being asked to customize my Marth so definitely didn't expect that. Welcome to the team Grace, since Ladybird wasn't a name choice.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Alright, replayed the demo tonight to get more done in preparation for the full game. Generally went the same route, but between skipping seen cutscenes and actually knowing where to go I got a fair bit more done. Liberated a much more significant portion of the map this time around, with the remaining areas mostly being the northwest (north of Auchs) and north. With ~25 minutes to go, ran past the main quest battle location and instead beat and recruited Melisandre to finish things off.

The one oddity is that I could have sworn I had 7 hours the first time, but this second time it was counting down from 5... Not too important on the whole though, as I'm fairly happy with the stop location and full release isn't far now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The timer only starts once you're dumped out on the map after beating Aubin, iirc - the first couple of intro battles are basically "free", so you probably did play close to 7 hours your first time.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There is one lvl 14 mission (unlocks another Cleric I think?) that I didn't have time for in the demo on my ps5 playthrough. One spergy tip I guess is that they won't kick you out until after you've finished a battle, so you can wait till the last minute then start a battle to get some extra mileage if you feel like it.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 27, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man I wanna keep playing but if I actually finish the demo then it will just make the wait that much harder. At least if I hold off I can cognitively tell myself 'there's a little more to play if you really want to'.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

Man I wanna keep playing but if I actually finish the demo then it will just make the wait that much harder. At least if I hold off I can cognitively tell myself 'there's a little more to play if you really want to'.

Technically, you can finish it and then tell yourself "I could do another run that's more optimal now that I know what I'm doing and I can see more content I didn't get to on run 1". :v:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

The only areas in Cornia that are absolutely off-limits are the central area, with all entrances blocked by stationary guards that will pop a level 40 quest if you ignore Josef's advice on talking to them, and another guard blocking a bridge to an area close to the center that will pop a level 38 quest when you talk to him. Everything else in the country seemingly only ranges up to ~level 12, so as soon as you get a strong enough unit that can cause more damage than taken against those then you can explore everything else.

There are some reasons to go exploring ahead of actually liberating places, as it lets you trigger the exploration points early (and they slowly replenish over time) and get a variety of consumables. Plus divine stones to buy stuff in the Featherfolk shop. There's also a VERY powerful weapon you can find once you recruit Yahna if you go exploring, which will basically trivialize the rest of the demo with the right party comp.

What is the weapon?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Smiling Knight posted:

What is the weapon?

It's a sword that has +25 phys atk and +5 to all stats. You recruit Yahna and go to a certain place and she tells you to find all the various carvings around the first area in a certain order.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sudonim posted:

This sounds a lot like Ogre battle so seeing folks compare it to Fire Emblem feels like people saying a hamburger is a lot like a lasagna instead of saying it's like a sandwich.

As an Ogre Battle freak I’ve just spent the week looking at everyone saying “so it’s like fire emblem??? But not really” and being flummoxed lol

Ogre Battle 64 is still an all timer classic worth playing and at this point you can play n64 on most emulator handhelds so everyone should try it.

I will say the one “fire emblem” thing I had to shake free from was being averse to using Josef when he’s incredibly useful, in terms of remembering exp goes to everyone in a squad and not just the vet unit. You can stick squishier people like Chloe and Travis with him and they’ll get buffed up enough to eventually go into other units. You can also just drop Josef at your base as an easy deterrent against stray enemies that want to Game Over you with a cheap takeover of your home garrison.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Josef is also the one guy who resists Magic Assist, like if you, say, want to get Auch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

with how uniform growths seem im not sure josef even has any long term weaknesses, unless his bases are lower than other units at 20

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There's absolutely no reason to not use Josef besides not liking Josef(which is valid!). He's incredibly strong combat-wise early on and even when other people start to catch up he's still a great support unit. The only EXP he "steals" is the theoretical EXP that using another person instead of him would gain, and the tradeoff for that is that the unit would almost definitely be much weaker without him and would likely earn less EXP in general.

The foul claws of people being terrified of wasting EXP on good units just because they're Jagens still have a powerful hold.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Unless your hiring a crap load of mercs I think a lot of XP is going to go to waste if your remembering to fire Alains XP buff when you have spare valor, on a boss unit kill it's always worth 1-2 levels to your entire unit and after a point most people were punching far enough down to only get a drop or two.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 27, 2024

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Yeah him stealing XP was my biggest fear, but since it seems that's not the case, I might try an optimized run or two this weekend to hit as many missions as I can. I restarted stage a bunch on one of the missions before realizing it was eating up my timer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even in an actual fire emblem game where the only unit that gets exp is the overpowered prepromote, stealing exp is still a fake idea. like if marcus or seth gets that exp, oh no one of the best units in the game got exp.