Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blinovitch limitation effect! Nooooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

PriorMarcus posted:

None at all. They are identical.

There was a small difference at the end of the Christmas special in terms of how they did the bit with Ms. Flood, but it was just an editing change rather than a different shot or something.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fil5000 posted:

A pair of actors with incredibly long lists of credits, though one definitely demonstrating better quality control than the other

Yeah, Eric Roberts would never have starred in Anonymous. :hai:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TinTower posted:

Yeah, Eric Roberts would never have starred in Anonymous. :hai:

Cmon man, we both know that if we total up both of their "they were paying up front" credits Roberts is going to have a huge lead. Guy turns in a solid performance near enough every time but he's done a TON of garbage.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Aonnymous wasn’t a “they were paying up front” gig for Jacobi; he’s quite possibly the most high profile true believer in that nonsense.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I wasn't sure what this anonymous thing was and in looking it up I found that imdb considers big finish to be a podcast series lol.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1759644962134581395

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

As a big fan of 60's and 70's British horror I really liked The Brain of Morbius! The sci fi gothic aesthetic is something I love about the Hinchcliffe and Holmes era stories that I've seen and this was no exception with the mad scientist, his castle, space witches, and a sewn together monster running around.

Philip Madoc' Doctor Solon is great every time he's on screen and he nails the delivery of some classic mad scientist dialogue. It's the total opposite of his equally memorable but very reserved performance as the War Lord in The War Games.

There are a couple of odd moments in the script with The Doctor leaving Salon to his own devices way too much considering he knows exactly what he's up to by the mid point of part two but the other aspects are strong enough that it doesn't bother me much l.

It's a shame that the legacy of this will be tied to the recent Timeless Child stuff because it's a very fun Frankenstein in space story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Some of it's genuinely freaky in a way Who rarely is even in that period.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Fil5000 posted:

Cmon man, we both know that if we total up both of their "they were paying up front" credits Roberts is going to have a huge lead. Guy turns in a solid performance near enough every time but he's done a TON of garbage.

I'd pay good money to watch a version of "A Talking Cat?" with Jacobi instead of Roberts.

For that matter, lets get a version of Best of the Best.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hey, big good news!

https://twitter.com/Tardis_Wiki/status/1761838956717428905?t=Vij_wO0iu-VFzZ5qg0pESQ&s=19

The TARDIS Wiki is moving to Tardis.Wiki and away from Wikia/Fandom. Update your bookmarks and never give fandom.com a single click again, because they're awful.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:toot:

Though in what I've seen with other fandom wikis now there will be two wikis lol.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yep. But God willing all the talent and creative focus will be placed on the new wiki and with time the better product will win out even ahead of Fandom's SEO power. You're also going to see independent wikis exclusively crosslinking with the new Tardis wiki as a show of solidarity. The Transformers wiki has already begun the process.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is the wiki still run by a bunch of transphobes or have they shut up and hosed off?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They fixed that poo poo. Deadnames are cleared off and the wiki appropriately disavows figures like James Dreyfuss.

https://tardis.wiki/wiki/James_Dreyfus

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Update your bookmarks and never give fandom.com a single click again, because they're awful.
Oh, dip. What'd they do? Was it the transphobia somebody mentioned?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Fandom is the company that has all the millions of fan wikis and they're quite terrible.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don’t get fan Wikis, but then again I’m a very boring person.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Oh, dip. What'd they do? Was it the transphobia somebody mentioned?

The transphobia was a problem with specific TARDIS wiki editors being shits.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Boxturret posted:

Fandom is the company that has all the millions of fan wikis and they're quite terrible.
I understand that part. I'm asking why. What'd they do?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Edward Mass posted:

I don’t get fan Wikis, but then again I’m a very boring person.

People just like cataloging information, I guess. They can be useful if a long running show drops a reference to something called a "mavic chen" out of nowhere and you want to find out what the deal is with that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s also good for if you want to recap before a new season and want plot synopses more detailed than whatever Wikipedia generally has.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I understand that part. I'm asking why. What'd they do?

Fandom.com loads their pages with extremely invasive advertisements and content management schemes. These advertisements, pop-ups, and intrusive interactive features are completely debilitating for mobile browsing and reading in general. In addition, the CSS requirements to deliver these intrusive advertisements limit the abilities of wiki editors to organize and display relevant information.

They also obstruct and delay compliance with creative Commons licensing requirements to allow for forks. They threaten and bribe editors to remain with fandom rather than splitting off independently. They also briefly operated a nerd journalism rag for about 6 months and then fired everyone without severance or insurance.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

adding 'anti' before fandom on any of their urls redirects you to a mirror of that page without any of the bullshit ads. There's also a browser extensions to do it automatically: https://antifandom.com/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fandom go out of their way to acquire other community wiki sites, clog them up horribly, and then obstruct any attempts for communities to migrate off them. It's nearly impossible, attempts usually end up with confusion and split communities.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wow. I knew the experience of using them sucked, but holy poo poo.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
They also spend a lot of money on SEO to ensure they always push out fan efforts out of Google results, effectively killing any traffic those sites would otherwise get.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, that's the big one. If you try to move to another site, they remove any notices you left redirecting, restore any content, put new people in charge, and because Google knows more about the old one and it has an established history, people will continue to find the old one. And the SEO makes sure it stays that way. Meanwhile the new one founders and implodes because nobody is using it, the old one becomes poo poo over time because all the dedicated maintainers left, but fandom keeps ekeing out their ad money until it all withers.

Most people don't bookmark more, if they want to look something up they type 'doctor who wiki eye of harmony' into Google. If the fandom wiki result is at the top and the new wiki isn't even on the first few pages, what hope does it have?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 26, 2024

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

DoctorWhat posted:

They fixed that poo poo. Deadnames are cleared off and the wiki appropriately disavows figures like James Dreyfuss.

https://tardis.wiki/wiki/James_Dreyfus

Just read this and I love the fact that since Dreyfus said he "doesn't use pronouns," the article always refers to him by name. I love petty poo poo like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Just read this and I love the fact that since Dreyfus said he "doesn't use pronouns," the article always refers to him by name. I love petty poo poo like that.

Oh that's fantastic.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Was Dreyfuss any good as The Master? The only things I've seen him (90s/early 00s sitcoms) he's not displayed a great deal of range, nothing to suggest that he'd be a decent Master.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Was Dreyfuss any good as The Master? The only things I've seen him (90s/early 00s sitcoms) he's not displayed a great deal of range, nothing to suggest that he'd be a decent Master.

His performance is fine to good. The character doesn't have an awful lot of depth, but he does a good voice and you can see why he was cast in the first place and then brought back so many times.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s also good for if you want to recap before a new season and want plot synopses more detailed than whatever Wikipedia generally has.

Or in the case of Big Finish, a plot summary for an audio in which you feel like you missed something and there is, of course, no plot summary on Wikipedia.

It is funny how many of them do things like have an entry for concepts like "sex" and then drily describe what sex is before noting when it comes up in whatever the fandom is, though. Also the amount they can be derailed by a single tyrant, as in the infamous case of the weirdo admin who went to the Silent Hill fan wiki and changed a ton of the entries to indicate that things about the game were unequivocally metaphors that criticized circumcision, lmao.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My Doctor Who catchup is about halfway through the Chibnall era and my god I hate the Doctor responding to to Graham talking frankly about his cancer with "I'M SOCIALLY AWKWARD SO I'LL WALK AWAY NOW"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

My Doctor Who catchup is about halfway through the Chibnall era and my god I hate the Doctor responding to to Graham talking frankly about his cancer with "I'M SOCIALLY AWKWARD SO I'LL WALK AWAY NOW"

That is a low point for the series...

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

SirSamVimes posted:

It makes sense when you realize she's already figured out he's a shapeshifting alien who has kidnapped and replaced the real Graham, as evidenced by him not knowing the word "pathogen" despite being a cancer patient married for years to a nurse.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

SirSamVimes posted:

That was a weirdly misjudged attempt at a bit of "cute" humour. And it's a shame because Graham's reactions to his cancer and grief over Grace are the only genuine emotional throughlines in the era, and it gets undercut completely there. I am hoping Chibnall looks back on that and goes, "Yeah, that was a bad idea, don'tknow what I was thinking," like Moffat does with that woeful scene at the end of Flesh and Stone.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly, Dreyfuss should be tried at The Hague for his crimes against the gay community (i.e. his character in Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Coward posted:

That was a weirdly misjudged attempt at a bit of "cute" humour. And it's a shame because Graham's reactions to his cancer and grief over Grace are the only genuine emotional throughlines in the era, and it gets undercut completely there. I am hoping Chibnall looks back on that and goes, "Yeah, that was a bad idea, don'tknow what I was thinking," like Moffat does with that woeful scene at the end of Flesh and Stone.

The scene where Amy tries to seduce the Doctor? Has Moffat said he regrets it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

PriorMarcus posted:

The scene where Amy tries to seduce the Doctor? Has Moffat said he regrets it?
https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/status/887315016499822594?t=zAqCp1kZhpQSZoGb7YG7ug&s=19
tbh i don't see anything wrong with playing for laughs at the end of a fairly heavy two-parter, you want a bit of levity after trudging through the forest of death for an hour.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's frustrating, like a lot of the Chibnall era stuff is. Like why are you doing that. What's the thinking here. I've watched too much Davies and Moffat, I'm expecting the negative character traits and the other characters openly discussing it to be the setup to a later payoff, not just the thing and the whole of the thing. They just keep happening every episode or two and then Jodie exits stage left